As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying retro console hardware/software

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Do you mind linking some? I just jumped into the retro games thing feet first recently and haven't quite gotten my bearings.
    I was lucky enough to run across a craigslist ad for a 14" Sony PVM in October for $80 so I've been devouring everything I can find about getting the most out of it.
    Somewhat related, is anyone sitting on any extra GameCube cables they'd let go of for a more-modest-than-going-rate-on-eBay price or know if there are any third party options yet?

Sadly, 3rd party gamecube component cables are pretty much impossible. Nintendo had actual encoder technology in the cable itself, so it's pretty much impossible for anyone not Nintendo to replicate. You can, however, get some video mods done which give you support for component through the Wii's component cables, as well as HDMI. Really the easiest and cheapest way to play GameCube games @ 480p is through a Wii with component cables.

I have my Wii set up via component and some BNC adapters for just this reason...has to be the most backwards thing, using a Wii to play a GameCube disc to play an N64 game (OoT). My main use for the Cube will be the Gameboy Player.
    Putting it in writing makes it sound like my setup is super weird but it's not, I swear! It's just that in the year 2017 playing old games has gotten a little tricksy!
    I'll have to look into getting the Cube modded. My brother is an electronics engineer and felt pretty confident looking at a diagrams of a NES hardware mod that would allow it to output RGB.
    My God I'm losing it, aren't I?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I keep eyeballing gamecubes on ebay and stuff.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've considered picking up an n64 at some point as it and the Saturn are two of the more notable consoles i didn't own when they originally came out so there would be a ton of stuff I've never played. I think my first foray back into owning a retro system will be an Atari 2600 though.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Metal Jesus has a great guide for spotting fakes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqwDN-njSls

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    My Wii won't read disks. I was able to do the migration to Wii U, so at least I have my VC stuff. I bought a used GameCube so I could play my MegaMan collection whenever I wanted. The big problem is that Metal Slug and DDR are unplayable because they require the gamecube ports on the Wii. Well Metal Slug is playable with a wii mote and nunchuck, but it blows.

The wii disc drive is total garbage

Wii U too

I'm so glad the switch is cart based

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Man, I bought a used Radiant Dawn years ago and it's only now that I've decided to continue playing the game, and it gives me disc read errors if I try to enable battle animations, and now I've discovered that I can't promote one of my clerics, either. The guy I bought it from isn't even in the country anymore and he says it was fine when he sent it, but the case was broken at the top and an N64 he also sold me didn't have a working Reset button... At least it works...

But what can I do with my Radiant Dawn? I may be able to proceed without promoting that cleric, but what if I'm unable to progress at some point? It's like it can't read some of the scratched sectors of the disc.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Man, I bought a used Radiant Dawn years ago and it's only now that I've decided to continue playing the game, and it gives me disc read errors if I try to enable battle animations, and now I've discovered that I can't promote one of my clerics, either. The guy I bought it from isn't even in the country anymore and he says it was fine when he sent it, but the case was broken at the top and an N64 he also sold me didn't have a working Reset button... At least it works...

But what can I do with my Radiant Dawn? I may be able to proceed without promoting that cleric, but what if I'm unable to progress at some point? It's like it can't read some of the scratched sectors of the disc.

Is it the disc or the disc drive?

One of my Wiis would read some games and not others or freeze at a certain action in a certain game. It turned out to be the disc drive, not the discs

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »

Is it the disc or the disc drive?

One of my Wiis would read some games and not others or freeze at a certain action in a certain game. It turned out to be the disc drive, not the discs

It's the disc. My Wii can read other games without a problem. And yes, I've cleaned it, it's scratched.

I was told that Laura sucks, and so does pretty much her entire team, so I shouldn't worry about that specific case, but I hope it doesn't prevent me from progressing.

RockinX on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I recently checked out all my gba games to see if any were fakes, and they were good. I have some prime games for faking too like leaf green and sapphire. It's not hard to see them if you are able to open them up. I bought a new shell for my sp on ebay a couple months ago to replace the ugly scratched up pink shell I had (looks awesome by the way, and wasn't too hard to do) and it came with a screwdriver that also works on the carts to open them up. It was only about 10 bucks for everything.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    I need to get one of the tri-wing screwdrivers. I've been holding off on pulling the trigger on any GBA games at the moment because of imminent Switch launch and I'll need all the extra money I can scrape together.
    I finally bit the bullet last night and got my box of SNES and N64 boxes out of the garage and put their respective games and manuals back in them. Pardon the cruddy shelf and arrangement, it's a work in progress. I still have a bunch of other games and guides to put on there.
    Not included in my CiB collection is my Chrono Trigger cart, which I've had since I was in 5th grade, in 1995. It was the first game I ever bought with my own money, and the game and the maps and manual were very well loved and didn't survive being posted on my bedroom wall and me tracing the art in the manual endlessly. Still have the cart, though.
    QuDTlbG.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I kick myself for selling my SNES with 16 games, two of which being FF3(6) and ChronoTrigger. I bought a PSX with the money and that was a great system, but damn There were just some amazing games on the SNES.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's my favorite system of all time. I always have my mini hooked up. I just wish it wasn't damn popular. Games for it are too expensive.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I actually got super lucky getting all of mine. Long story short, a few years ago, a former coworker who's about 20 years older than me was talking about taking his SNES into a local used media place, and they offered him $30. He declined the offer and I said I'd give him $40, which he agreed to. Keep in mind I thought I was just getting a used SNES in this deal. He shows up the next day with a CiB Snes with no yellowing on the plastic, 4 controllers, a box of games, and manuals in the plastic cases you see in the pic, official Player's Guides to all of the games in the box and a separate box with just the boxes for the games. Says they're all mine, and I nearly shit myself. I'd have offered more if I could have afforded it, at the time I was making barely above minimum wage working at Toys R Us. I feel kind of bad now that I couldn't.
    He apparently is like this with all of his games. We've since lost touch since neither of us are at Toys R Us anymore, but a friend of mine works at a used video game store and says he comes in all the time with CiB games to sell. It boggles his mind because they can't give him close to market value for them and the guy doesn't seem to care.
    Anyway, I've moved all the games into their respective boxes, and my cart-only games into the plastic cases.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Any chance you have a PS4? They recently released the PS2 version of that Metal Slug collection on there for about $20, I think, but I got it for $10 on sale more recently.

No, I have never owned any Sony consoles.
    Xaquin wrote: »

The wii disc drive is total garbage

Wii U too

I'm so glad the switch is cart based

Wonderful... I hope my Wii U drive lasts. I am taking a wait and see approach with the Switch.

webguy20 wrote: »
    I kick myself for selling my SNES with 16 games, two of which being FF3(6) and ChronoTrigger. I bought a PSX with the money and that was a great system, but damn There were just some amazing games on the SNES.

I don't know what to do with my SNES. Something is definitely wrong with it. It plays some games fine, others not at all. I bought a Retron 2 pretty cheaply and it will play everything I have fine so my games aren't the problem. If it wasn't so goddamn ugly from the yellowing plastic, I would have bothered to fix it.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    NT mini is now out. Any reviews that go deeper then the surface level stuff and talk about the comparability of the FPGA, especially versus the Retro AVS?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I was in Japan recently and it was pretty eye opening to see how cheap NES/SNES games were in 2nd hand stores and even in the box compared to the US. The US prices on some games are fucking outrageous. For RPGs you are shit outta luck if you can't read Japanese (which I cannot), but a lot of other games you can do just fine or if you are like me and don't really care too much about the story a lot of the time, it's okay. Examples for me are Megaman 7 and Megaman x3. I paid ~$8 and ~$22 respectively for the japanese versions at 2nd hand stores. US versions are astronomically more expensive for games that the story is barely there or not that important, in my opinion (menus are in english too).

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I was hankering for some Mega Man X it cost me like $50 total to import all of MMX/MMX2/MMX3/MM7. Would have been probably around $200+ for all four games' NA cartridges. Also the Japanese villain names are way better.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It was the only way I could get a complete copy of Stack up on NES/famicom. The exact same game no changes/langue issues at all.

It goes from $300-$1000 on ebay for a complete version. I picked up the Famicom version with a converter for $25

Artoria on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I will soon be working on a NES that has the blinking light of doom. Does anybody here have a good place to buy a new connector if it needs it? This will be my first time fixing/cleaning one. Never had a NES as a kid so this is fun for me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just get one off of ebay. They're less than $10 and they're a joke to replace as long as you have the screw bits to open it.

• Options
    Cool thanks.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The lead engineer of the NT mini project is releasing some unofficial firmwares that allows the FPGA to emulate several different systems.

Via cacophony555 on NeoGaf:
    From the lead engineer himself:
    https://goo.gl/347N2Z

The Nt mini now has an (unofficial) firmware that both supports loading roms from the SD card (ie you don't need an Everdrive to select/play any game) and will gain support for other Ketris cores, which currently include:

* Sega Master System
    * Game Gear
    * Colecovision
    * NES/Famicom
    * Atari 2600
    * Atari 7800
    * Intellivision
    * Odyssey^2
    * Adventure Vision
    * Supervision
    * RCA Studio 2
    * Fairchild Channel F
    * Videobrain
    * Arcadia 2001
    * Creativision
    * Gameboy
    * Gameboy Color (not 100% yet, still debugging. runs 99% of games so far)

Make the $500 price tag seem that much more reasonable for (presumably) high quality FPGA level emulation of a bunch of retro systems.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I will soon be working on a NES that has the blinking light of doom. Does anybody here have a good place to buy a new connector if it needs it? This will be my first time fixing/cleaning one. Never had a NES as a kid so this is fun for me.

If you go this route, i would not buy one of the "new" ones, as they grip very tight early on, and lose the grip fairly quick compared to an original. I'd look for one that has been refurbished. OR, if you care to try some home maintenance yourself, there are several things you can do to help existing adapters play better.

A much more permanent solution would be to get a blinking light win (https://www.arcadeworks.net/classic-accessories/blw) It's 30$, but it replaces the ZIF connector with a more standard one, similar to the NES top-loader, and all other nintendo consoles, so it should last a LOT longer.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Last year I frakensteined a new / old GBA SP together. I got hold of a very beat up modell AGS-101 (backlit LCD) for EUR 10 and replaced the shell and screen cover with a new black one from eBay. Cost me around 30 Euro in total.

Edit:
    The seller appeared to be located near Großostheim. (It's was the former HQ of Nintendo Germany till 2014) maybe he got left over inventory or had something to do with repairs etc. - or it might be coincidence.

I think it was one of the easier repairs. The only troublesome step were separating and reassembling of the hinges and hinge covers which needed a lot of force. My recommendation for reassembly: Use a screw driver with a rubbery grip and use the grip to force the shell and hinges together. (if you need to add force to the shell in one of the repair processes) The same goes for the hinge cover. This way you don't scratch the shell or break the hinge covers.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Have you tried boiling the original 72 pin connector? This apparently works well for repairing them and is worth a shot if you plan to replace it anyway.

• Options
    Have you tried boiling the original 72 pin connector? This apparently works well for repairing them and is worth a shot if you plan to replace it anyway.

Nope, this is my first try fixing a NES. Thanks for the advice, will try that out before buying a new one.
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

If you go this route, i would not buy one of the "new" ones, as they grip very tight early on, and lose the grip fairly quick compared to an original. I'd look for one that has been refurbished. OR, if you care to try some home maintenance yourself, there are several things you can do to help existing adapters play better.

A much more permanent solution would be to get a blinking light win (https://www.arcadeworks.net/classic-accessories/blw) It's 30$, but it replaces the ZIF connector with a more standard one, similar to the NES top-loader, and all other nintendo consoles, so it should last a LOT longer.

Cool, will check that out. This is for a relative of mine so will ask them before I try that mod. Just noticed that it is a pre-order... guess it already sold out?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Also be sure to make sure your game cartridges aren't in need of cleaning too. A q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol will work wonders on the cartridge pins. If it needs a more work, use a pink rubber eraser on the pins to remove dirt corrosion. Just be sure to clean off the eraser dust when you're done with aforementioned q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

• Options
    Also be sure to make sure your game cartridges aren't in need of cleaning too. A q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol will work wonders on the cartridge pins. If it needs a more work, use a pink rubber eraser on the pins to remove dirt corrosion. Just be sure to clean off the eraser dust when you're done with aforementioned q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

Yeah years of cleaning computer parts has ingrained that in my cleaning routines.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Won the auction on that CiB Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga I'd had my eye on. It had expired before and the seller relisted it, so I took my shot. Ended up in a small bid war with someone else but in the end it was mine. Upon arrival it turned out to be legit, which I'm happy about obviously.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Won the auction on that CiB Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga I'd had my eye on. It had expired before and the seller relisted it, so I took my shot. Ended up in a small bid war with someone else but in the end it was mine. Upon arrival it turned out to be legit, which I'm happy about obviously.

It's kind of sad we are now in a era where we even have to worry about things being Legit.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    dragonsama wrote: »

It's kind of sad we are now in a era where we even have to worry about things being Legit.
    Counterfeit GBA carts have always been a problem...

RockinX on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

Seems now more than ever though, people are parading around reproduction cartridges of NES and SNES games made to look like the real thing.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options

I tried this awhile ago. I honestly didn't notice a difference.

• Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

Seems now more than ever though, people are parading around reproduction cartridges of NES and SNES games made to look like the real thing.

Well, that sucks. I guess people have to open up the cartridges and photograph them to prove they're the real deal.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    So my wife and I picked up an NES for a really cheap price because it wasn't working well. When booting into a game, if it worked, you would get it to work fine for a minute. It would slowly get more artifacts until finally it would reset the game and get stuck in a power cycling loop.

So I ended up taking it apart today and cleaned up the inside a bit. It was in pretty good condition for the most part, barely any dust or hair. I ended up taking out the 72 pin and followed a guide on boiling it. Well after doing that and cleaning the board contact for the 72 pin with alcohol, it is working perfectly now. Games that would take 10 tries to boot are working first try, and no more artifacting or power cycling. The water was kinda nasty from boiling it, it left a yellowish color residue.

Overall I am pretty happy being able to play NES games again, we haven't owned one in 10 years but we still had a bunch of games. Next task is cleaning them all up, going to order a security bit tonight for proper cleaning since some are bad enough a q-tip isn't going to cut it.

• Options
    Hey, since we're talking about it, I assume there are guides somewhere for doing something similar with the SNES? Some of my games are rockstars and fire up every time but others are like a 1/10 chance to fire up, despite the pins on the cart appearing to be pretty clean.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Donnicton wrote: »

So that story has some stuff to it that is unbelievable.

Neither of those dudes thought to purchase / ship in such a manor as to fully cover/insure the cost of the games.
    Niether though about how the cheaper better solution (compaired to 10k) was for the rom dumper to go to the collection not vice versa.
    or just send the rom dumper unit to england. (the american was doing super high res scans of boxes and booklets too..... but still. there are high res scanners in england)

You can fault usps and they deserve blame... but also.... cover your investments......

its a sad and infuriating story

And then theres this.... usps found the label with no box. imagine that.

byuu ‏@byuu_san 13h13 hours ago
    More
    .@USPS @USPSHelp Thanks, I found my missing package ... label. Your employees ripped it off the box and stole a $10,000 package from me.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    This is why we can't have nice things. =(

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Regarding toaster NESs and their blinking lights, you can also do the pin removal on the NES10 chip. It'll help with the issue, but not solve an actual bad zif problem.