As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Also, did we ever get confirmation on Red Skull being dead in CA? Because although they made it look sort of similar to an Asgard transport, I can't imagine Skull returning in any serious capacity as a villain.

Cap: First Avengers spoilers:
    No. Its pretty clear he's being teleported away. You can see the light cut through the plane into the wormhole then cut off once it closes. I have no idea why people thought he died in that scene.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Also, did we ever get confirmation on Red Skull being dead in CA? Because although they made it look sort of similar to an Asgard transport, I can't imagine Skull returning in any serious capacity as a villain.

No. Its pretty clear he's being teleported away. You can see the light cut through the plane into the wormhole then cut off once it closes. I have no idea why people thought he died in that scene.

because
    every movie with nazi villains ends with nazis getting melted

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It sort of fit with what the old man said earlier too. That's the main reason I thought that happened.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    remember everyone: mark millar has never done anything of value ever and should be summarily dismissed from all conversations

I ain't saying he's never done anything of worth

But the decline in quality of his writing and rise of his obnoxious ego seems to be directly linked

Also it's entirely possible some of those things of worth were ripped off of Grant Morrison

Furu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

because
    every movie with nazi villains ends with nazis getting melted by the superpower thing they were going to use to rule the world

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Millar can still write some good stuff like Superior. I'm hoping his new creator owned titles coming out this year start moving away from the horrid shit he's known for.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    enemy of the state was dang cool too

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    People hate Whedon because apparently he's a racist rapist; http://users.livejournal.com/_allecto_/34718.html

What the fresh fuck is this?!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Okay I looked up the Falcon because I didn't know much about the character
    Next, the Skull uses the Cube to rewrite the past and remove the years Wilson had spent angrily living as "Snap". In this new history, Wilson was an upright and cheerful social worker who is eventually lured to the Exiles' island and organizes the natives to fight for their freedom.

Why the fuck would Red Skull make a dude more likely to become a superhero?

Red Skull's the kind of guy who motivates anyone to want to kick his ass. Even Magneto and Doom hate his guts.

No, I get that, but I mean why would he purposefully rewrite a dude's history to remove his criminal past and make him into an upstanding heroically-inclined citizen

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    People hate Whedon because apparently he's a racist rapist; http://users.livejournal.com/_allecto_/34718.html

Oh, and any more pro-prostituion comments will be deleted.

• Options
    So apparently this movie is making all the dollars in the overseas markets

• Options
    Also, in case you wanted to check out the wiki page for the movie because you were curious about the cast or some detail of the production process, don't

Full plot summary is up there

• Options
    I'm gonna guess that this is at least gonna pass the hunger games as far as opening weekends go. I was unsure before, but Avengers has the bonus of the whole 3D ticked inflation going for it

or it'll at least be close

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    So apparently this movie is making all the dollars in the overseas markets

That's because it was really good.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm gonna guess that this is at least gonna pass the hunger games as far as opening weekends go. I was unsure before, but Avengers has the bonus of the whole 3D ticked inflation going for it

Huh, I'm surprised Hunger Games didn't have 3D.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I spent my overseas dollars on it at least

And I would do it again

(If it wasn't for those meddling chitauri?)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular

I'm going to start calling all of my friends my "lesbian feminist sisters."

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Holy shitballs this movie is sitting at 97% on rottentomatoes with 62 reviews. Guess its worth seeing then?

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

I don't think that'd really work with how they filmed that movie

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Yeah its pretty good.

ITS FUCKING AWESOME SEE IT ASAP

• Options

I haven't seen it, but it was such a heavily marketed franchise I assumed they'd want to wring the extra 3D fee out of as many tickets as they could, maybe do that crappy post-production 3D.

• Options

I haven't seen it, but it was such a heavily marketed franchise I assumed they'd want to wring the extra 3D fee out of as many tickets as they could, maybe do that crappy post-production 3D.

it makes heavy use of shaky cam, especially in any sort of action scene

it really wouldn't work

• Options
    edited April 2012
    craaaap

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Ok I'm reading a few reviews, and even some of the positive ones say stuff like this
    I won’t bore you with the details — mainly because the details bored me, and I can’t explain them anyway.

Is it really so fucking hard to follow these movies
    I see a lot of critics complain about "confusing" or nonsensical plots in comic movies, but honestly the last batch have been perfectly comprehensible

• Options
    If anything, this is less complicated than the previous movies

The film is mostly funny jokes, amazing action and cool fighting, sprinkled with some well-acted character moments

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Do not go and see Avengers in 3D

It's pretty badly done in post conversion or whatever it is called.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular

Oh, and any more pro-prostituion comments will be deleted.

PRO-WOMEN (unless they have jobs I don't like)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ok I'm reading a few reviews, and even some of the positive ones say stuff like this
    I won’t bore you with the details — mainly because the details bored me, and I can’t explain them anyway.

I see a lot of critics complain about "confusing" or nonsensical plots in comic movies, but honestly the last batch have been perfectly comprehensible
    Mmmaybe they don't see the threat Loki poses, since Thor alone can spank him, and his army doesn't show up til the third act? So I dunno, maybe they think there's no escalation til the end? Most of the movie is character building and infighting, with them chasing Loki around.

And in all fairness, that bit at the end with Selvig saying he had built a failsafe into the machine felt really off somehow. Like, I didn't need that. Just say the spear can get through the shield. It does everything else.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Heh. I guess the SomethingAwful review didn't get picked up by RT. The concluding sentence:

"As it stands, I found The Avengers to be a rather unsettling experience, a semi-accusatory and judgemental film dressed up as light entertainment."

10/50

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Heh. I guess the SomethingAwful review didn't get picked up by RT. The concluding sentence:

"As it stands, I found The Avengers to be a rather unsettling experience, a semi-accusatory and judgemental film dressed up as light entertainment."

10/50

Wow, I just read this and the dude read a lot more into this movie than he really should have

• Options

10/50

Wow, I just read this and the dude read a lot more into this movie than he really should have

is he a lesbian feminist sister?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Perhaps we should re-read Ebert's review of Thor?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Let's not and say we did

• Options

10/50

is he a lesbian feminist sister?

No but he's really afraid of right-wing agendas

• Options
    that something awful review is absurd

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Let's not and say we did
    The story might perhaps be adequate for an animated film for children, with Thor, Odin and the others played by piglets. In the arena of movies about comic book superheroes, it is a desolate vastation. Nothing exciting happens, nothing of interest is said, and the special effects evoke not a place or a time but simply special effects.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Let's not and say we did

But there are such gems!!!
    "Thor" is failure as a movie, but a success as marketing, an illustration of the ancient carnival tactic of telling the rubes anything to get them into the tent.

The story might perhaps be adequate for an animated film for children, with Thor, Odin and the others played by piglets.

Thor to begin with is not an interesting character. The gods of Greek, Roman and Norse mythology share the same problem, which is that what you see is what you get. They're defined by their attributes, not their personalities. Odin is Odin and acts as Odin and cannot act as other than Odin, and so on.

Superhero movies live and die on the quality of their villains. "Thor" has a shabby crew. The Frost Giants spend most of their time being frosty in their subzero sphere of Jotunheim and occasionally freezing their enemies. Thor's brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is dark-haired, skinny, shifty-eyed and sadly lacking in charisma. He might as well be wearing a name tag: "Hi! I can't be trusted!" These villains lack adequate interest to supply a climactic battle, so the movie fabricates a Metal Giant, sends him to the New Mexico town, and has him blast fiery rays that blow up gas stations real good but always miss his targets. He is apparently killed by a sword through his spine, but why does he need a spine since when his mask lifts we can see his head is an empty cavern?

I know aliens from other worlds are required to arrive in New Mexico, but why stay there? Why can't the Metal Giant attack the Golden Gate Bridge or scale a Trump Tower somewhere? Who cares he if turns a 7-Eleven into a fireball?

• Options
    Ugh

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I want Marvel Studios to give Warren Ellis the rights to write a script to a Marvel Property. Just give him a laptop and 40 cases of booze and stand back. If the results end up being Nextwave the movie I will throw my wallet so hard to Marvel that sound barriers will be broken.

• Options
    Ebert's review is so bad for so many reasons, one of them being that I don't honestly believe he paid attention to what was going on within the film.

This discussion has been closed.