As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bought an iPad, afraid of going IMAP on gmail.

The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly FoxUnderneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, so i'm getting my ipad tonight, hooray.

I've been using POP gmail for years on my imac. I've set it up to filter all the mails in a handful of different folders, a system i love dearly. Never keep more than 15 mails in any folder. My mailbox is clean. I toss out everthing in my trashcan older than 30 days, but save all of my sent messages.

On the other hand, there's my gmail account. It's been ignoring everything i did in apple mail, so it's just a big "all mail" folder with a few thousand messages in it.

So i want to set up imap on the gmail so i can check stuff on both the ipad and imac.

What would be the best way to prep my gmail account so my clean and nice email box doesn't get flooded with thousands of old mails? any tips?

The_Glad_Hatter on

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    your ipad will only download the 50 or so latest ones without you telling it to load more.

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    OK. Does the same go for my mac? It only downloads the most recent stuff?
    Is there a way to import my inbox rules to my gmail account, so they're taken care of server-side?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    also, use google sync instead of imap for the ipad: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=14252&answer=138740

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    There is a separate google app for the iPad! It unifies mail, google apps, search, etc. Use that instead of the built-in mail client, it's superior.

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, i'll look into that google sync.

Concerning the google app: The problem is, i also have other mail accounts, and wouldn't like the have to use seperate apps for all of my mail.