Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PRIME] Pre-PAX Dinner: Get Involved

2456710

Posts

  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is just standard PAX operating procedure.
    FTFY

    (doubly so if I'm around)

    Saldek wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    vespachica wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    @lexicongrrl. Oh I see how it is. *sniff* Already excluding me! Bawwwwwwww.

    (ignores the part of me not even living there)

    Well, get your butt up here and we can all do QC!

    I'm on a boat yo (cue song). It'll be nice to make an appearance in Seattle in the summer but no guarantees. I'm gonna be pretty busy packing up my stuff up in Ketchikan and moving to Juneau during my off weeks.

    I volunteer to go in your place! ;)

    Hey now, no fair! You can only go in my place if you bring me back booze. Also, get yerself an avatar already you silly goose. :D

    EDIT: I'm assuming that once we get ourselves a bit more organized we'll be firing up a new thread?

    TOGSolid on
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    This is shaping up to be a drunken forumer excursion...

    So I'm going to the East Coast next week but will be back the week after that. @VespaChica and I were talking about "scouting" locations via scooter maybe the week after that. Anybody down for a "research" excursion on May 11 or 12? How about a "quotation mark" event?

    hmm... May's out for me, I'll still be at work then. But if you're still needing to do some "research" around say, mid-late June.... I might be able to make it to Seattle for a few days. I'm extremely well qualified as a "research assistant".

    @TOGSolid Bring you back booze?!! You're the reason my rum is always gone...

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    @Saldek ...and?

    Speaking of finding places, I think prior dinners have usually had about a month and a half of actual ticket sell time so let's try and shoot for being wrapped up with all this by mid-July. Y/N?

  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Yup, I'm all over timelines.

    Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co. 10% off all purchases with a PAX Badge through Labor Day!

    If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yup, I'm all over timelines.

    Organization, fuck yeah. People always do generally work better with a deadline.

    So since it works out almost too neatly:
    May == Find and secure a place w/ Barca as a backup in case no other great alternatives pop up
    June == FOOD
    First week or two of July == Flex weeks to wrap things up if necessary
    Second half of July - PAAAAAAAAAX == Tickets on sale OR ELSE CTHULHU EATS OUR BRAINS

    And obviously, the sooner each step is done the better to allow for maximum ticket sale time.

    TOGSolid on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Second half of July - PAAAAAAAAAX == Tickets on sale OR ELSE CTHULHU EATS OUR BRAINS

    Um... point of order? Cthulu doesn't eat brainz. HE EATS YOUR SOUL.

    Which is much more permanent, I think.

    LexiconGrrl on
    Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co. 10% off all purchases with a PAX Badge through Labor Day!

    If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Second half of July - PAAAAAAAAAX == Tickets on sale OR ELSE CTHULHU EATS OUR BRAINS

    Um... point of order? Cthulu doesn't eat brainz. HE EATS YOUR SOUL.

    Which is much more permanent, I think.

    Nah, I filled that void up ages ago with alcohol, I'd be more of a rum filled candy than an actual candidate for soul harvesting.

  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    what time does the dinner/pubcrawl normally happen? will those of us heading up via train have time to make it to the festivities?

  • SamuraiCiceroSamuraiCicero Registered User
    Dinner about 6, crawl about 8. If my drunken memory serves.

    Forum-erly known as basicallygeek
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Heading up via PAXTrain...

    this sure does suck :(

    Crogoth on
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I am lovin' @LexiconGrrl and @TOGSolid right now. Yes to timelines. Yes, I can do the 12th.

    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    Depending on timing, I might be able to join you. I'd have to run behind the scooters, though. :P

  • SamuraiCiceroSamuraiCicero Registered User
    Depending on timing, I might be able to join you. I'd have to run behind the scooters, though. :P

    Damn. That I'd like to see, Nomad.

    Forum-erly known as basicallygeek
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Haha! No worries. My dad has custody of my Vespa right now so I won't have it. Sure do love picturing my 74 year old pop riding a light blue/light green Vespa around, though. :D

    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Holy shit that was sketchy. Got on shift to see that the 3 day badges had sold out and almost crapped myself. Managed to get a set of Fri/Sat/Sun badges though while no one was watching since I'm technically not supposed to be cruising the internet on watch but fuck em, PAAAAAAAAAX!

    So on that note, I can at least confirm that I'll still be heading to PAX so I'm good to go to help get this dinner ball rolling! When are you all gonna go cruise the area to see what's around?

    TOGSolid on
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    This is such a simple thing. Step 1: Rent the Palace Ballroom across the street from Palace Kitchen. Step 2: Allow Tom Douglas to cater it. Step 3: Figure out how many people are attending (roughly) and send each of them a bill for the totality of the bill divided by the total number of people.

  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It may seem that simple, but there is a lot more planning than just those three steps. From the looks of it, the Kitchen is not far from the central area of the PAX hotels. Not a problem, but then you also have to remember a good amount (not ALL) of the folks wanting to do the Pre-Dinner will be doing the Pub-Crawl as well and based on the previous years, the vast majority of the bars are up on Cap-Hill. Again, does not seem so far, but it all depends on where they need to start. And will this place hold blank-amount of folks and for how long. How long can we rent the ballroom, etc. It takes time, planning and preparation for all of this.

    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It may seem that simple, but there is a lot more planning than just those three steps. From the looks of it, the Kitchen is not far from the central area of the PAX hotels. Not a problem, but then you also have to remember a good amount (not ALL) of the folks wanting to do the Pre-Dinner will be doing the Pub-Crawl as well and based on the previous years, the vast majority of the bars are up on Cap-Hill. Again, does not seem so far, but it all depends on where they need to start. And will this place hold blank-amount of folks and for how long. How long can we rent the ballroom, etc. It takes time, planning and preparation for all of this.

    Disagree. The vast majority of hipster bars are on Cap Hill. Belltown, however (a whopping 4 minute walk from the Ballroom) has just as many pubs and places to visit, including a couple that cater pretty heavily to gamers (Shorty's, which has an extensive pinball collection, and the pool hall across the street from it). It's also closer to our more historic clubs such as The Crocodile and others, where the grunge scene took hold.

    I know I'm over-simplifying this, but I know others are over-complicating it, as well. The beauty to going with Tom Douglas is that they have people who will take care of every detail for you, so that you don't have to - and it doesn't cost all that much, considering that you're getting a catered meal created by a James Beard award winning chef.

    Quintious on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I would honestly have a lovely debate with you, but I am exhausted and I don't live in the same state, let alone locally so I cannot give good/true facts.

    So, for now, your idea could be a suggestion to the awesome-folks who are going to be handling the Dinner this year.

    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have to ask, how are aware of this supposed god tier catering service? I'm down for suggestions, but to be blunt, I don't know these places and don't know you and I'm not a trusting people person when shitpiles of my money are being thrown around. The ticket price will be kept as close to last year's as possible so that is a budgetary consideration.

    I'm not trying to sound rude, I appreciate the suggestion, I just need way more information first.

    TOGSolid on
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    For a pub crawl, I think Capitol Hill is much better. Also, I wouldn't consider it to be 'hipster'. That's the great thing about Capitol Hill... all sorts of folks hang out there. :) Plus, it's easier to walk around than say, Belltown, which does have some steep hills between the waterfront and 1st. Also, my experiences in Belltown is that the area is somewhat pretentious and tends to have excessive cover charges just to get in the bar, let alone the drink prices... Maybe not so much on a Thurday though; that would be something to look in to before changing the location of the TWDT.

    I'd rather keep the crawl on the Hill, since it is an area that people are familiar with, as well as bars that will be familiar and probably better prepared for us!
    Quintious wrote: »
    I know I'm over-simplifying this, but I know others are over-complicating it, as well. The beauty to going with Tom Douglas is that they have people who will take care of every detail for you, so that you don't have to - and it doesn't cost all that much, considering that you're getting a catered meal created by a James Beard award winning chef.

    Perhaps you could do some legwork and get some details on this location and pricing?...

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I don my top hat, and adjust my monocle, Like a god damn sir.Registered User regular
    The bars on the Hill are used to us and are ready for us. A location change is A) not up to us (we follow the crawl's lead not the other way around) and B) a terrible idea.

  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    I am hoping to attend the dinner this year with my [E] husband. :) Could someone tell me how much tickets were last year, so I have a rough estimate for my planning purposes? Thank you! :)

    2014 PAX Prime Checklist
    [X] 4 1-Day Passes [X] Hotel Booked [X] Buttons Ordered [X] Challenge Coin Ordered
    [X] Girls Meetup Tickets [ ] Waiting Patiently...
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer since 2010
  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I have to ask, how are aware of this supposed god tier catering service? I'm down for suggestions, but to be blunt, I don't know these places and don't know you and I'm not a trusting people person when shitpiles of my money are being thrown around. The ticket price will be kept as close to last year's as possible so that is a budgetary consideration.

    I'm not trying to sound rude, I appreciate the suggestion, I just need way more information first.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Douglas

    James Beard award-winning chefs typically don't screw around. I think that's all that needs to be said on that front. I've been to events at the Ballroom before, and they were done incredibly well. As a matter of fact, the Ballroom is where the annual Food Writer's (not the exact name but you get the point) conference is held each year.

  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Saldek wrote: »
    For a pub crawl, I think Capitol Hill is much better. Also, I wouldn't consider it to be 'hipster'. That's the great thing about Capitol Hill... all sorts of folks hang out there. :) Plus, it's easier to walk around than say, Belltown, which does have some steep hills between the waterfront and 1st. Also, my experiences in Belltown is that the area is somewhat pretentious and tends to have excessive cover charges just to get in the bar, let alone the drink prices... Maybe not so much on a Thurday though; that would be something to look in to before changing the location of the TWDT.

    I'd rather keep the crawl on the Hill, since it is an area that people are familiar with, as well as bars that will be familiar and probably better prepared for us!


    Cap Hill caters to 4 types:

    1) Hipsters
    2) "I'm 24 and I'm SO COOL because I'm on Cap Hill!" types (which coincides with hipsters). This group will include 'woo girls', 'peaked too soon' types, and the 'I think I'm a lot more edgy and urban than I am' crowd.
    3) SCCC students
    4) The gay crowd (10 years ago, that just happened to be where all the gay bars were up until the hipsters invaded, and the gay community managed to hang on to SOME of their clubs in the assault).

    I'm probably biased because group 4 is the only group that doesn't make my wife and I want to bash our own heads in with shovels. I won't argue there's not something to be said about staying with what is familiar, but Belltown is a much more eclectic mix of venues ranging from upscale to downright divey. There's also no reason to go down to the waterfront from 1st, since all of the bars are between 1st and 3rd - the waterfront is mostly condos. I've not experienced many cover charges at all in Belltown unless there was a large event going on (and I don't mean PAX, I mean like...Halloween, or Tiesto spinning in one of the clubs, etc.). The vibe is just much better in Belltown, IMO - though not nearly as good as Ballard. Problem with Ballard is you need a car, though.
    Saldek wrote: »
    Perhaps you could do some legwork and get some details on this location and pricing?...

    As much as I would love to help, I work very long hours, usually in a datacenter environment, so this isn't something I can go too far with. I can go as far as giving you http://www.tomdouglas.com/ and telling you to click on catering, which will at least get an organizer started.

  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User
    As long as there's MEAT.

  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »


    As much as I would love to help, I work very long hours, usually in a datacenter environment, so this isn't something I can go too far with. I can go as far as giving you http://www.tomdouglas.com/ and telling you to click on catering, which will at least get an organizer started.

    Quintious wrote: »
    James Beard award-winning chefs typically don't screw around. I think that's all that needs to be said on that front.

    oooooh, they got an award! That's...nice, I guess. But the web site doesn't give out any sort of pricing information, or really anything useful. Just about all the other catering companies I've looked in to at least have general pricing and menu selections.

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Registered User regular
    So... I'm new here. I have seen that ticket prices will be about the same as last year: how much is that, roughly? Also, is the pub crawl the same as the drinking tournament?

    Also, TOGSolid, set your mind at ease, anything Tom Douglas makes tends to be delicious.

  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Saldek wrote: »
    Quintious wrote: »


    As much as I would love to help, I work very long hours, usually in a datacenter environment, so this isn't something I can go too far with. I can go as far as giving you http://www.tomdouglas.com/ and telling you to click on catering, which will at least get an organizer started.

    Quintious wrote: »
    James Beard award-winning chefs typically don't screw around. I think that's all that needs to be said on that front.

    oooooh, they got an award! That's...nice, I guess. But the web site doesn't give out any sort of pricing information, or really anything useful. Just about all the other catering companies I've looked in to at least have general pricing and menu selections.

    Pricing depends on what you want. You custom design the menu, they don't go "you can either have package A or package B". Pricing is also seasonal in nature. Salmon in July is cheaper than salmon in December. Sliders aren't going to cost as much as crab cakes, which aren't going to cost as much as boat-bled Chinook salmon over steamed kohlrabi with an aioli. There's a wide array of things you can order, and all of them are going to cost different amounts, based upon product and quantity of people. I'm just throwing out an EASy suggestion for you guys to navigate to. If you expect me to physically pick up your phone for you, dial the numbers, and then hold the thing to your ear so you can talk to the person on the other end of the receiver, you're going to be sorely disappointed. I can tell you from past experience that paid events I've gone to catered by TD at the Ballroom have been about 30 dollars per person.

    And a James Beard award isn't just "an award". It's the damn Oscars of the culinary world. If you win one, congratulations, you're about to become a millionaire. Do you always get this snarky when someone is offering a positive suggestion and what is probably an ideal option, or do you reserve it for special occasions and the internet?

    Quintious on
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Registered User regular
    Yay SquirrelOnFire you found your way here!


    $30/per person with a sponsor, or without? Either way, I don't think now is the time to try a complete upheaval of the system.

  • SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Registered User regular
    I'm here courtneyj, but I'm counting on you to point out the awesome things I'm missing.

    Also... sponsor? As in the dinner gets a corporate sponsor, or an individual finds a sponsor?

  • HAklownerHAklowner Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Holy shit that was sketchy. Got on shift to see that the 3 day badges had sold out and almost crapped myself. Managed to get a set of Fri/Sat/Sun badges though while no one was watching since I'm technically not supposed to be cruising the internet on watch but fuck em, PAAAAAAAAAX!

    So on that note, I can at least confirm that I'll still be heading to PAX so I'm good to go to help get this dinner ball rolling! When are you all gonna go cruise the area to see what's around?

    yea i know the feeling same thing happened to me! I was soo scared i wasn't going to be at PAX this year! As for if you guys need any help the day of the dinner or up to a week before PAX I have the entire week off and I'm more than willing to donate my time (im broke X_X i cant do any more than pay for the ticket to go to the dinner) In any way needed, I'm local enough that i can take day trips to Seattle to help in anyway needed.

  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »

    Pricing depends on what you want. You custom design the menu, they don't go "you can either have package A or package B". Pricing is also seasonal in nature. Salmon in July is cheaper than salmon in December. Sliders aren't going to cost as much as crab cakes, which aren't going to cost as much as boat-bled Chinook salmon over steamed kohlrabi with an aioli. There's a wide array of things you can order, and all of them are going to cost different amounts, based upon product and quantity of people. I'm just throwing out an EASy suggestion for you guys to navigate to. If you expect me to physically pick up your phone for you, dial the numbers, and then hold the thing to your ear so you can talk to the person on the other end of the receiver, you're going to be sorely disappointed. I can tell you from past experience that paid events I've gone to catered by TD at the Ballroom have been about 30 dollars per person.

    And a James Beard award isn't just "an award". It's the damn Oscars of the culinary world. If you win one, congratulations, you're about to become a millionaire. Do you always get this snarky when someone is offering a positive suggestion and what is probably an ideal option, or do you reserve it for special occasions and the internet?

    OK. Roughly $30 per person, now that is actually helpful info. That's all I was asking for... trying to some general info of who it's even worth contacting. Any idea of what the crowd size was for that event? I currently have NO phone access, and won't for a week and half... So, it just seems to me, that if someone is really gung-ho on a suggestion, it should be worth a small amount of their time to be able to come up with some basic information to pass on to the people that will be spending hours on the phone calling and comparing places.

    I think it's great that people are offering suggestions... that's the whole point of this thread!!! :)

    But, Quintious, you are coming across as though this guy that owns the catering company is obviously the ONLY solution because he received a pretegious award 18 years ago, and that we should just drop everything else that is being considered.

    I am familiar with a couple of those restaurants owned by Douglas, and yeah, the food's not bad. But is it Seattle, and there are soooooo many tasty foods to choose from!!!

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • lizpiratelizpirate Registered User
    How much does Barca cost to rent out? Is it worth looking at other event spaces in the Capitol Hill neighborhood? I've heard Sole Repair Shop is relatively inexpensive, but I don't know what their availability is like.

  • QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Saldek wrote: »
    Quintious wrote: »

    Pricing depends on what you want. You custom design the menu, they don't go "you can either have package A or package B". Pricing is also seasonal in nature. Salmon in July is cheaper than salmon in December. Sliders aren't going to cost as much as crab cakes, which aren't going to cost as much as boat-bled Chinook salmon over steamed kohlrabi with an aioli. There's a wide array of things you can order, and all of them are going to cost different amounts, based upon product and quantity of people. I'm just throwing out an EASy suggestion for you guys to navigate to. If you expect me to physically pick up your phone for you, dial the numbers, and then hold the thing to your ear so you can talk to the person on the other end of the receiver, you're going to be sorely disappointed. I can tell you from past experience that paid events I've gone to catered by TD at the Ballroom have been about 30 dollars per person.

    And a James Beard award isn't just "an award". It's the damn Oscars of the culinary world. If you win one, congratulations, you're about to become a millionaire. Do you always get this snarky when someone is offering a positive suggestion and what is probably an ideal option, or do you reserve it for special occasions and the internet?

    OK. Roughly $30 per person, now that is actually helpful info. That's all I was asking for... trying to some general info of who it's even worth contacting. Any idea of what the crowd size was for that event? I currently have NO phone access, and won't for a week and half... So, it just seems to me, that if someone is really gung-ho on a suggestion, it should be worth a small amount of their time to be able to come up with some basic information to pass on to the people that will be spending hours on the phone calling and comparing places.

    I think it's great that people are offering suggestions... that's the whole point of this thread!!! :)

    But, Quintious, you are coming across as though this guy that owns the catering company is obviously the ONLY solution because he received a pretegious award 18 years ago, and that we should just drop everything else that is being considered.

    I am familiar with a couple of those restaurants owned by Douglas, and yeah, the food's not bad. But is it Seattle, and there are soooooo many tasty foods to choose from!!!

    Not the only option, just the most practical. He's basically been credited with inventing Northwest cuisine. The food in this city is outstanding, that much is certain. It's just that a few of these chefs in the area (Tom Douglas, Thierry Rautureau, Ethan Stowell, John Howie, Jason Wilson, and 5 or 6 others) stand above the rest in a very competitive field out here. If any one of those chefs owned a catering business on the side, I'd push one of them, too. It's just that TD is the only one of our all-star chefs that's really branched out into that area.

  • vgcvgc Registered User regular
    TOGSolid, you are awesome. I made the decision to be more social this year at PAX and I look forward to attending the Pre PAX dinner.

  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    lizpirate wrote: »
    How much does Barca cost to rent out? Is it worth looking at other event spaces in the Capitol Hill neighborhood? I've heard Sole Repair Shop is relatively inexpensive, but I don't know what their availability is like.

    I believe that @vespachica and @LexiconGrrl are being awesome and doing a scouting mission around the Hill on the 12th to check out pricing at a couple places. :)

    Also, I'm more than happy to start making phone calls to venues and caterers once I get back to Juneau on the 15th... I'm on a ship in the Gulf of Alaska at the moment, so I don't really have any phone access.

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I am totally on board with the Tom Douglas suggestion BUT it will be far too costly, I'm certain, and more than $30/per person. My pretend husband does not do things cheaply.

    Yes, we are scouting on 5/12 and I'm sure anyone who wants to join should drop us a line so we can all coordinate.

    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    Where is this Ballroom place? More than a 10 minute walk has historically fucked up TWDT starts.

  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    The Palace Ballroom is at 5th & Lenora which is about 3/4 mi from the Convention Center. The Barca, which is another suggestion (& where the dinner was held last year), is just under that distance (.7 mi).
    According to google, that puts the Ballroom around 1.25-1.5 mi to Cap Hill... So, not an ideal location if everyone wants to keep the TWDT on the Hill.

    I did email the Tom Douglas catering to see if they would be able to provide a rough estimate of the cost for dinner that night. Will post when I get a response.

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
This discussion has been closed.