As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Pre-PAX Dinner: Get Involved

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think the pricing includes the catering. I think it includes everything except catering and decoration.

Speaking of decoration, I missed last year's PPD, do we do any decorating? With a space such as Shoe Repair, Melrose Market, or FRED, we may need to think about decorations. I figure that Barca would be well decorated enough for that.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Ok, just got off the phone with Melrose Market. Yeah, they offered $1000 for the space+tables and chairs for 2 hours. And they only work with their approved caterers - no outside caterers allowed. Probably not an option.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Blech...ah well...

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
    FYI, Just heard back from the Century Ballroom - they're a no-go.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Speaking of decoration, I missed last year's PPD, do we do any decorating?

Decorations cost money that would be better spent on food and space rental, so no.

EDIT: Still waiting to hear back from Barca btw.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ALKADERALKADER Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,Sounders playing at home on Saturday.I got so caught up with the scouting idea I completely forgot!I am almost assuredly out for this.

• lachericelacherice Registered User regular
    Will there be a person to contact if we can only attend part of the crawl? Or a twitter feed?

Hmm... a twitter feed's not a bad idea. Any objections to using anybody's feed hashtag #PAXScouting ?

• basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    lacherice wrote: »
    Will there be a person to contact if we can only attend part of the crawl? Or a twitter feed?
    Not that this is the pub crawl thread, but you can attend any part of it you want.

• lachericelacherice Registered User regular
    Oh, sorry. I thought it all tied in together. Thanks!

Nah, not in any official way, but a lot of people who go to the dinner tend to be doing the crawl also.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Nah, not in any official way, but a lot of people who go to the dinner tend to be doing the crawl also.

*waves*

And a word to those possible newcomers, if you find yourself in a bar with TOG, don't try to keep up, merely try to survive.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

*waves*

And a word to those possible newcomers, if you find yourself in a bar with TOG, don't try to keep up, merely try to survive.

Challenge accepted!!!

• SaldekSaldek Registered User regular

*waves*

I can keep up. :)

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935

*waves*

As can I. Awww... TOG's gonna have his work cut out for him, proving that he can outdrink all these ladies.

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I most definitely can't! I have dim memories of PAX 08, blagging our way into a private party with free drinks and deeply regretting it the next day!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    I just got a call from Dan at Barca. They're happy to do the same deal as last year, with a sight change: 1/2 upstairs and 1/2 downstairs so that if anyone needs wheelchair access, they don't have to be stuck at a table by themselves like last year. He's expecting us to stop by around 7:00 during the scouting mission (they've got something going on earlier in the evening), and asked that we all be drunk so as to be more pliable.

I would like to respectfully posit to the community that we hold off on making a decision about the venue until after the Scouting mission this weekend, to make sure that we've explored all our options and gotten a chance to look at other venues that will do all-ages.

• lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I will start conditioning my liver now in preparation.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    I just got a call from Dan at Barca. They're happy to do the same deal as last year, with a sight change: 1/2 upstairs and 1/2 downstairs so that if anyone needs wheelchair access, they don't have to be stuck at a table by themselves like last year. He's expecting us to stop by around 7:00 during the scouting mission (they've got something going on earlier in the evening), and asked that we all be drunk so as to be more pliable.

I would like to respectfully posit to the community that we hold off on making a decision about the venue until after the Scouting mission this weekend, to make sure that we've explored all our options and gotten a chance to look at other venues that will do all-ages.

I suggest a counter offer: He should get you drunk to make you more pliable and generous feeling ;).

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Are we still meeting at 5 at the Comet? I should have a more concrete idea about a possible caterer by Saturday.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited May 2012

*waves*

As can I. Awww... TOG's gonna have his work cut out for him, proving that he can outdrink all these ladies.

Oh no, I'm not going up against Saldek because I know damn well she drinks booze like I drink booze and the ONLY way that night is going to end is with both of us either dead from alcohol poisoning or with us turning the bathroom at our hotel into a vomitorium echoing with the cries of OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE *REEEEEEETCH*. You on the other hand? I dunno.
    I suggest a counter offer: He should get you drunk to make you more "pliable and generous feeling" ;).
    It's awesome how one slight edit changes that sentence completely.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

*waves*

Oh no, I'm not going up against Saldek because I know damn well she drinks booze like I drink booze and the ONLY way that night is going to end is with both of us either dead from alcohol poisoning or with us turning the bathroom at our hotel into a vomitorium echoing with the cries of OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE. You on the other hand? I dunno.

In my Younger days! TOGSolid, like 5 years ago when I was 22, I could drink with the best of them. Then my [girlfriend now wife] moved away for a few years, I cut back and my liver hasn't quite been the same since. (I still drink, but I can't pack away beer measured in gallons anymore)
    I suggest a counter offer: He should get you drunk to make you more "pliable and generous feeling" ;).
    It's awesome how one slight edit changes that sentence completely.

Yeah, you know, after I wrote that I thought about it and went "All things considered, this sounds kinda creepy." But I decided to roll with it, I have a very limited "no take backs" on the interweb policy. (I'll correct typos recognized within about 1 minute and I'll consider taking down something if it the humor misses the mark by a longshot to the point that even I'm offended by what I said.)

There is NO WAY I am trying to keep up with Alaskans. No way. I tried that once, got 86'ed from a bar in Anchorage (do you realize how difficult that is?!), and retched the whole night and thought I was going to die that whole next day. No way.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited May 2012
    tsrblke wrote: »

*waves*

Oh no, I'm not going up against Saldek because I know damn well she drinks booze like I drink booze and the ONLY way that night is going to end is with both of us either dead from alcohol poisoning or with us turning the bathroom at our hotel into a vomitorium echoing with the cries of OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE. You on the other hand? I dunno.

In my Younger days! TOGSolid, like 5 years ago when I was 22, I could drink with the best of them. Then my [girlfriend now wife] moved away for a few years, I cut back and my liver hasn't quite been the same since. (I still drink, but I can't pack away beer measured in gallons anymore)
    Yanno, I don't even really drink beer anymore (it mostly just makes me pee a lot when I do drink it). My booze consumption is measured these days in bottles of rum and scotch. It's getting worse as I get older too. It's getting to the point where rum is basically just kool-aid for me. :(
    , got 86'ed from a bar in Anchorage
    If you managed to do this at Chilkoots I want to hear that story.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Just talked to Nathan at FRED. There are a lot of ifs with FRED.

1) They do not have tables and chairs to seat us, and we'd have to rent that separately.

2) We'd have to rent the upstairs and downstairs in order to seat up to 120 people. On the plus side, we could rent both for the price of just the basement.

3) They have preferred caterers: Skillet and City Street Catering. If we wanted to use another caterer, we could...but they'd have to be vetted first (licenses and such).

4) They have a bar, but we'd have to cater the bar due to their licensing. They can't supply/cater the bar unless it's "invite only" and not a public event. I said its semi-public since most of the advertising (all of the?) was through a website and he was like, look into it. The only other way to do it would be to be an officially sponsored charity.

He doesn't know I'd he can meet on Saturday, and we're going to chat tomorrow afternoon.

Sun Liquor is still MIA.

tsrblke wrote: »

I suggest a counter offer: He should get you drunk to make you more pliable and generous feeling ;).

Yay drunken pliability!

edited May 2012
    , got 86'ed from a bar in Anchorage
    If you managed to do this at Chilkoots I want to hear that story.

Nope, it wasn't that bar (I had to look it up). The jerks I was with sent me back alone to the Captain Cook and I know it was only about a 6 block walk. I could have died!

ETA: It was in February. (not for Fur-Rendy, it was a work thing.)

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

edited May 2012
    vespachica wrote: »

Just outta curiosity, are/were you an observer?

vgc on
    Ewww, drunken winter walks suck in Anchorage.

That FRED place sounds like a giant PITA tbh.

wWuzwvJ.png

Agreed. Its probably going to be a bit too much work in the end, especially if we get the same deal from Barca as last year.

But never say no to investigating options even if they end up being a dead end.

Agreed. Its probably going to be a bit too much work in the end, especially if we get the same deal from Barca as last year.

But never say no to investigating options even if they end up being a dead end.
    Oh definitely, more info is always great because you just never know.

wWuzwvJ.png
    vgc wrote: »

An observer?

Probably not, since I don't know what that is. I was in aviation insurance. I would go for the Alaska Air Carriers Association convention.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

An observer?

Probably not, since I don't know what that is. I was in aviation insurance. I would go for the Alaska Air Carriers Association convention.

Ok, never mind! I had a few drunken nights in Anchorage as well due to my occupation as an observer :P

edited May 2012

An observer?

OMG Aviation industry workers drink as much as Maritime workers. if @vespachica is Aviation, @vgc and @TOGSolid are Maritime and I'm Maritime/Energy... Dan might not wanna commit to that tab if he thinks he's gonna get us drunk.

(and yes, still 5:00 at the Comet Tavern on Saturday. Gotta make at least a gesture at keeping these comments on topic or risk the Wrath of @Zerzhul. Be careful, he's newly empowered and I caught him laughing maniacally yesterday)

Ooh, also, I'll be in Anchorage and Seward from the 17th - 24th. PM me off this thread if you've got any good suggestions for stuff in Seward (never been) or want to meet up in Anchorage (been lots).

LexiconGrrl on

An observer?

OMG Aviation industry workers drink as much as Maritime workers. if @vespachica is Aviation, @vgc and @TOGSolid are Maritime and I'm Maritime/Energy... Dan might not wanna commit to that tab if he thinks he's gonna get us drunk.

(and yes, still 5:00 at the Comet Tavern on Saturday. Gotta make at least a gesture at keeping these comments on topic or risk the Wrath of @Zerzhul. Be careful, he's newly empowered and I caught him laughing maniacally yesterday)

Ooh, also, I'll be in Anchorage and Seward from the 17th - 24th. PM me off this thread if you've got any good suggestions for stuff in Seward (never been) or want to meet up in Anchorage (been lots).
    @Saldek is also Maritime. She's an engineer in the Alaska Ferry system same as me. :D

I suppooooose we should work harder to keep things all on topic and what not. We do still have two days to kill before the scouting report and the results from that though. D:

wWuzwvJ.png
    I wouldn't say I'm Maritime, I just spent a lot of time on boats. Which I guess is maritime? Anyways, I don't do it anymore. Last deployment was back in October of 2011. I have a boring desk job in Woodinville now. I do miss Alaska.

And I found out there's a party on Saturday, so I might not make it to the scouting mission. The party's at 8pm in South Seattle, so I might just do the mission and go to the party straight afterwards. How long do you think it will take?

I know that this is probably better suited for the activities thread, but the party is a costume fantasy themed party at a chocolate store if you want to come.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/300012713401400/

IAnd I found out there's a party on Saturday, so I might not make it to the scouting mission. The party's at 8pm in South Seattle, so I might just do the mission and go to the party straight afterwards. How long do you think it will take?

Show up at 5, stay as long as you like. We're looking at Barca around 7, so if you could stick around for that it would be great.

• beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I might show up to Barca just because. They have Bitburger. Bitte ein Bit.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
    The Cuff said no. So, there's that answer.

Sun Liquor is still MIA (dude's out until next week anyways).

We could still go look around the space and have a drink there during happy hour. :-D

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    Speaking of decoration, I missed last year's PPD, do we do any decorating? With a space such as Shoe Repair, Melrose Market, or FRED, we may need to think about decorations. I figure that Barca would be well decorated enough for that.

Come self decorated as a whizzard.

This discussion has been closed.