Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[IC] Mage: The Awakening - Land of the Free

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RogueCoral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Critical Failures
It's funny how something as little as a refusal can send everything straight to shit.

mtn.png

Oh sure, the Council made a name for themselves alright. Their little gambit killed, what, a few dozen of those puppet-strung Seer bastards? Great. Good job.

Now, tell me what their plan is for the hundreds more of those rat-nosed finks that scheme put on the Pentacle's trail.

...

Yeah, that's what I thought.


It's gone bad, kid. Real bad. Not even the Ladder was able to keep it together once the Seers opened fire.

The Sleepers called it gang warfare in the papers.

Well, they wasn't too far off the mark. There's war, alright, but those hack writers best be glad they don't know the half of it.


Any wonder the Hierarch stepped down once the Paradox hit the fan? They weren't up for that.

None of us really are. So we survive the only way we know how, kid.

Same as it was from the start, maybe the natural way.

We keep our heads low, and hope they don't come a'sniffin. If they do, we don't have the firepower to even hold 'em back, much less match 'em. We pack up, move shop, and hope they lose the scent.

It's a nasty way of life, yeah.

But it's livin'.

-Robinson, Guardian Epopt, NYC Local 407.



Ever since The Great Refusal, the local Pentacle mages have gone into deep cover.

Without any proper leadership, at least not in the traditional sense, a few devout Guardians took it upon themselves to maintain order as best they could.

That meant putting a modern-day Underground Railroad into effect, so to speak. Clandestine gatherings, off-the-books Consilium hearings, thoroughly encrypted correspondences, all par for the course.


Still, it doesn't take a whole lot for a new Willworker in town to know where to go for the local dirt.


One of the few jazz clubs still open, The Speakeasy isn't known for being either high class or high profile.

Anyone with a smoking jacket worth more money than their car knows not to stop by here to get their faces in the papers.
Known less for fine dining and charming conversation, The Speakeasy's known more for under-the-table dealings, smoky rooms, all manner of recreations(both legal and otherwise), and the occasional body riddled with more holes than a front page headline's facts.

Sleeper or Mage, one and all are welcome.

How easy visitors find their way out, well... that all depends, don't it.

It may be late in the evening, but the festivities are just getting started.

The lounge singer performing on stage doesn't seem a day under her late 20s, she could even be in her 30s.
The lady sure puts her heart into it, no one can deny her that, but it still doesn't get her much attention.
She's not there to turn heads or even to keep the money rolling, though.

This early in the night, the ambient backdrop is enough. No one at the scattered round tables pays the woman or the lone pianist any mind, shy of the occasional, obsessive drunk. Some have cards to play, others have deals to make, all of them have some kind of business to tend to, often of the illegitimate kind. If it was meant to be on the books, it wouldn't have any place at this club.


Despite being low-profile compared to the bigger name clubs, Speakeasy still has some standards.

The big man at the door is there to both regulate the dress code, and security, not necessarily in that order.

Not to say that exceptions to both rules haven't made it by him. All depends on the price, or who's asking.

OOC:
Spoiler:

fiV9i14.jpg
蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
«13

Posts

  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    Charun sits at the bar sipping at an Old Fashioned as he taps his foot to the music being performed in the background. He likes this bar the people huddled together scheming and tearing each other down reassures him in his goal of forging a different way with the Silver Ladder. On some nights this bar came help him to better understand his path. The decay of the club itself adds to the atmosphere, but the best is the people more than one with blood on their hands, so many functioning as icons of the decay in this city.

    This bar also has the benefit of helping to hide him from his old crowd, not really their kind of place. Not that might recognize him anymore. Getting off the streets and finding purpose can make a big change in a man, at the very least he dresses more like an upstanding citizen to fight with his image of what a Silver Ladder member should look like. Now he dressed in a suit and tie, even if the ties did tend to be a bit colorful and maybe tacky.

    Charun chuckled to himself, thinking about the changes he'd gone through. He took another sip from his drink and watched the people in the bar once more.

  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Bellerose walked down the tobacco-tinged corridor towards the lounge, footsteps barely muffled by the cheap carpeting stained grey from countless shoes trodding over it. Not exactly a place to show anyone a good time, a luxury for a more flush day. Although that was not why she was here in this place. Warhorse had left word, a neat little letter written in his hand waiting for her in the box at the post office.

    Come meet him at the Speakeasy, of course there was more but the message was simple. Bellerose certainly didn't mind, it was a good place to get a drink without dinging the public reputation that the company was expecting them to cultivate. No one here knew a patron from another, and if they did there was the word to keep their lips sealed. She looked around to see if big old Warhorse was already settled in and having that first glass.

    Apparently not, Warhorse was hard to miss even in the smoky room with his massive frame and he wasn't here yet. Bellerose took a seat at one of small little round tables and gestured for one of the girls to bring her an Alexander. She looked around taking in the Sights, there was definitely something in the air. A tang of Mana weaved in the tobacco smoke. Perhaps someone less than cautious in banking their enchantments or perhaps something more?

    Bellerose was cautious, always keep your Eyes sharp and veil yourself in a Shield. Smith had drilled that into her and she had never forgotten that lesson. It had certainly came in handy with the occasional tight situation she had slid herself into and it may come in handy here.

  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Spoiler:

    The door to the place opens wide as a man dressed in a nice suit but otherwise... entirely unremarkable enters the room. Jaunt removes his fedora with his left hand while giving the big guy at the door a fifty dollar handshake with the right. It's a shame he'll never remember the details, but what the hell when you're up, you gotta spread it around He cast his gaze over the occupied card tables. And I'm about to be very up

    The Mage stops by the bar to order a scotch on the rocks while scanning the card games for familiar faces. Getting into a game with an Acanthus would be a waste of a night, it doesn't matter how much you cheat when they keep getting ridiculous hands by chance. Thanking the bartender with another extravagant tip he sipped his scotch and bent his perception of Space, taking in the back and forth of cards and chips at each table, looking for a mark.
    Spoiler:

    Lanlaorn on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

    Seated at one of the card tables, Leslie tosses in his initial ante, quickly noting the straight forming in his stud hand. I wish my contact would get here, he remarks to himself, save me some money at least. Next card is dealt and it's the fourth member. Not betting on the straight would just put him out his ante.

    An emotion moreso than a feeling lets him know he's on the right track. That's what makes it hurt when he folds his easy straight. Sometimes the lady pays you, sometimes you have to pay the lady. "Tch, typical," he remarks to the players at his table, feigning disgust at his feigned bad luck. "I'm up for a drink, I'll be back later if I get the itch." A full-house takes the pot.

    Stepping to the bar, he takes the opportunity to look across the room. His Tong buddies needed someone to pick up a package over in the Speakeasy, but a Chinese man would stand out here like a--well, Six is sure the vets have a saying about that. He's been playing cards badly for the last two hours (actually two hours, 11 minutes, and eighteen seconds), trying to make a deposit into luck's coffers while he waits, but it's starting to catch up with his wallet. "Do me a gin fizz. Plymouth please."

  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jaunt keeps a, well, poker face as he observes a good hand inexplicably folding before a great hand is revealed and trumps all. He finishes his scotch, signaling the bartender for another. Well if you can't beat 'em... Taking his fresh drink he walks over to the stranger. Not recognizing anyone was to be expected, he's been off the scene for a few hectic years now, but the Speakeasy was the kind of place were "coincidences" tended to be anything but coincidental.

    He tosses his fedora on the counter in front of him as he steps in alongside the card sharp. Remaining unobserved was nice and all, but this isn't the kind of place you want to startle anyone. "Evening." He slips in a discrete Mysterium hand sign while pretending to adjust his tie with his free hand, and watches for a return gesture. "You look like you know what you're doing with those cards. And I'm looking to make some easy pocket money. In cahoots we could really work a table over. Interested?"

    Lanlaorn on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    Six watches the bartender mix his drink, left elbow resting on the bar, the other hand tucked into his right pocket. "I do," he responds still watching the bartender finish the drink, then leaving a modest tip on the bar. "But poker's how I eat. I don't plan to cheat at it."

    Finally he turns towards the man who addressed him. "But still, a pleasure to meet you."

  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    "Likewise. It's a shame about the game, but I understand. Honestly I don't really need the cash, it just seems like the right way to start off a big night on the town, know what I mean?" He finds himself mirroring the other man's stance, one hand managing his drink, the other in a pocket, absentmindedly forming the rote mudras to influence the sound of their conversation and frustrate any would-be eavesdroppers. Not that anyone would want to listen to this, but what the hell, the paranoia's kept me alive this long

    "I've been abroad a fair bit, on account of the war, you new around here or am I just out of touch?" He drank some scotch and gazed around the room before adding, "Around here they call me Jaunt, by the way." Swapping the drink to his other hand he extends the offer of a handshake.
    Spoiler:

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

    Maximilian ducks his head to enter the room. He had not had to pay a cover charge. The bouncer tried his best to be intimidating, but it is hard to block a man who towers at least two heads over you and is wearing a priests collar. Little known fact, priests don't pay cover charges. A few strides takes him over to the bar for a drink and then another few takes him to Bellerose's table. Quietly, he picks up the chair and moves it back against the wall before he sits down. Max always does this. Despite his priestly and calm demeanor he has quite a few battle instincts he cannot shake.

    Before saying anything he settles into the chair, which creaks under his weight, and takes a long slow drink of his whiskey which looks tiny in his huge hands. Large blue eyes scan the room before falling on his table partner and softening around the edges, "You beat me here. That must be a first..."

  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Tired from a luncheon that ended up running past dinner, Lily ended up outside The Speakeasy hoping for a relaxing night. She'd heard that the singer performing tonight was decent and that the patrons were... interesting. Pausing before the door, she took a few seconds to ready her Sight since it made people watching so much more interesting, and then stepped inside. The bouncer looked at her questioningly, obviously thinking she'd come in by mistake, but she smiled disarmingly and told him, "Ken sent me," and he smiled and relaxed.

    Not the most attractive woman in the bar, she nevertheless drew a number of looks as she walked towards the bar. Her hair and clothes appeared to be those of someone who wouldn't be caught dead here, and yet for some reason it seemed like she belonged; something about the way she carried herself. Regardless, she made it to the bar unmolested and sat down as the bartender walked up. "Tonic and lime," she said. He peered at her a bit curiously, but as she was holding five dollars on the bar, didn't ask any questions.

    Drink in hand, Lily leaned back against the bar and started to listen to the singer.

    why are you smelling it?
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    The man tending the bar didn't seem appropriate to his surroundings. In a smoky interior full of what most would call the dregs of society, the elder bartender had a strangely gentlemanly air about him; grey-white hair neatly trimmed to a goatee and to a shortened length around an otherwise bare scalp.

    All the drinks requested were presented swiftly and with immaculate preparation, whether the cocktail for the waitress doing the rounds, or the Plymouth provided to Leslie. "Fine choice, sir."

    [Jaunt]
    Spoiler:

    [Maximillian]
    Spoiler:

    [Lily]
    Spoiler:

    As the song wound down, the performer received scattered, barely audible applause. A polite smile and wave, and she leaves the stage, letting an instrumental band pick up the slack, approaching the gathering near the card tables, waiting for an open spot with a calm expression.

    "Anyone care to deal me in, boys?"
    Spoiler:

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Lily was surprised both by the quality of the singer's voice as well as her over the top Life usage. Was her voice even natural or was she a magically amplified fraud? Her set ended quickly after Lily sat down, so she hadn't had time to decide which she thought it was before the band took over. Hopefully she'd perform another set as she really was very good, regardless of the reason.

    The band was unremarkable and no one was dancing so Lily went back to watching the singer, still bemused by the amount of magic she was using.

    why are you smelling it?
  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    Charun finished up his drink and signaled the bartender that he wanted another. His sixth sense tingled with the magic flowing out of the Speakeasy’s patrons. Mages needed to keep quiet of course, but it was always good to meet more brethren. Charun decided to activate his sight and see if he could find a friendly to share a drink with.

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    "So, how many tonight?" Max's finger tap against the glass as his blue eyes dart through the crowd, picking up any who have the glow of magic to them. The trick to seeing aura's is to let ones eyes relax. You won't be able to make out peoples faces, but the soft glow of their energy can tell you anything you want to know. Vermillion and violet wash over his eyes, but he finds himself drawn to the darker colors, watching for those that might be harmful to themselves or others.

  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    Leslie takes the hand from his pocket to grasp the one offered to him by Jaunt. The handshake he gives is firm if succint. He quietly looks over Jaunt a moment, then nods his head. "Six. And I'm a ways outside of my traditional haunts, so it's no surprise we haven't met. What branch?"

    He eyes the performer introducing her to a table of cardplayers and gestures towards the table. For the time being he stays at the bar, but keeps an eye on the game about to unfold.

  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bellerose took a sip from her glass as the chair protested its burden. How many chairs had Warhorse gone through during their drinking sessions? She doubted there was an chair capable of seating Max for very long. 'This was an accident, I'll try not to do that again.' Bellerose smiled as she spoke. 'It's good to see you're in good humor. Your flock haven't been adding any issues to the platter?'

    When Warhorse mentioned about the others, Bellerose shrugged as she performed the mudra to bring up her Eyes. A quick rub of her nose to activate the rote and see things in a different light. 'Maybe two or three, people are being quiet tonight. Perhaps a little too quiet.'

    Spoiler:

    Kirindal on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    "Just making sure you aren't finding too much refuge in these cups." He smiles and finishes half the glass in a gulp before setting it down on the table. "You know I have to keep my eye on you, child."

    "And the flock is as it always is, small and too focused on their own problems. They only really need me to tell them what they already know." He shifts, making the chair creak. After scanning the room his eyes finally return to his table partner and focus. "That is why it is so good to talk to someone whose eyes are a little more open. Even if these are dangerous times."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "You must be new to the city, dear." The singer favored Lily with a sweet-natured smile as she settled into a chair at a less crowded side of the card table. "Why not tell me where you're from?" The singer seemed extensively interested in an eventual response, watching and waiting as painted nails tapped at the table with one hand, while another took up a newly dealt hand of cards.

    __________


    "At once, sir." The bartender gladly heeded the request, giving Charun another drink. "Do take it easy. They say the authorities are on the look out for those who are... shall we say, highly inebriated." An edge of warning into his voice on that note.

    __________

    "Dangerous times, indeed." A tilt of the hat from the man in a cheap suit that came to a stop beside the space occupied by the woman and her towering companion. "How've you two been contending them, I wonder. Don't mind if I sit for a spell, I trust?" Without waiting for a response, he took up a third chair opposite the two so he could simultaneously survey them both.

    [Charun]/[Bellarose]
    Spoiler:

    cj iwakura on
    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    "Something a little more clandestine than the military, give me the right codeword and I'll tell you all about it." He's smiling, but the joke is that's exactly the protocol.

    Jaunt only shakes his head as the other man gestures towards the table, "She probably has the same idea I do, and while it may be fun to see who can cheat more thoroughly, it's not the most profitable venture. Maybe I should just rob a bank, huh?"

  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    A little surprised that the singer would be addressing her, she nevertheless responds politely, "New to this bar, sure. Actually I came here to hear you sing." She sips some of her drink, "A friend of mine told me you were good. I'm sorry I arrived just before your set finished, but from what I did hear, he wasn't lying."

    why are you smelling it?
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    The chair creaks again as Max's weight suddenly shifts. "Some of us are no longer contenders. We look for the day when the conflict is over." He smiles his best friendly grin, which can seem a bit forced. Despite his words of non-violence those with an ear or eye for it can see his breathing suddenly drop to a perfect, slow rhythm. "And, friend, may ask what brings you to our little island?"
    Spoiler:

  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    'Of course, one of us has to be the responsible one.' Bellerose smiled as she matched Warhorse as she downed the rest of her glass and gestured for the waitress to bring her another Alexander. She looked back at him for a moment, 'And top off the good Father's glass. I'm covering the round.' As the waitress scurried off, Bellerose shifted her attention completely on Warhorse.

    'Indeed, I hope the streets haven't grown too hazardous as of late, Father.' Bellerose's finger traced an idle pattern on her napkin. 'One man can only do so much alone.' She had never made secret of her affiliation to Warhorse, in fact she had told him the first time she had seen him wandering the street as she had been sent to draw in him into the fold of the Talons. 'Tell me...' Bellerose looked at the stranger who grabbed himself a seat.

    This close, Bellerose could smell the whispers around him. He didn't look familiar to her and this was supposed to be a private drinking session between her and Warhorse. 'Only if you buy the next round, a spell is far better savored with a drink.' She turned to look at Warhorse, 'Now why we don't we settle on drinks first before the chat, Father?'

    Kirindal on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    Six snorts, as if instantly becoming disinterested. in pursuing the topic of Jaunt's military history. "Robbing a bank, now that's a little more her style." Six smiles and finishes off his drink, setting the empty glass on the bar.

    Turning, he folds his arms across his chest, inches closer to Jaunt and his demeanor becomes much less social, much more serious. "So--you pentacle? Don't answer that, you'd just say yes either way. This place is crawling. What's going on; is something bad about to happen?"

  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    Charun slips a tip to the bartender and grins. "Thanks for looking out old-timer. It takes more than a couple of cocktails to take me out."

    With a wink he adds "Our kind has to stick together you know."

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    "Why, thank you." A hint of melody to her voice as the singer appraised a newly dealt hand, tracing her fingers across the tops of the cards. "Hmm. Well, you wouldn't be the first to visit for our little establishment's... reputation, missy, but those who come a'callin' to see me? That, y'might say, is something of a rarity." The façade was beginning to slip, letting some of the woman's Southern accent fall back into place. It happened, every so often.

    _________

    "That we do, sir. That we do." A simple enough reply while he occupied himself with the cleaning of another glass to a polished sparkle. "Shame, it seems something so few are capable of keeping in mind of late. [So, whose interests do you serve?]" The charming tone faded, leaving one that was, abruptly, all business in its stead, his attention on the guest once more; his words falling into gibberish that common folk would have no earthly chance of comprehending.
    Spoiler:

    _________

    "Fair enough, ma'am. Drinks, as they say, are on me. Garçon?" The man gave a withdrawn chuckle as he waved over an imaginary waiter, not that one actually present would answer to a gesture that polite. "It can wait, I suppose. She'll be 'round again soon enough. Business before pleasure, yes? I, for one, live in this quaint burg. I don't believe the same could be said of you two."

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Jaunt shrugs off the question. "Don't look at me, I'm just here for kicks. Anyway, what's wrong with a room of Pentacles? Room of Seers, room of Banishers, sure, sure. Cause for concern. The rest of us get along peacefully enough, generally abide by the Lex."

    He places the glass down on the bar and regards Six, "You know, it's never too late to join, either. Guys I work with would take you right in. Well, after a background check, of course."

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    "Drinks sound like an excellent idea, child. They always help diplomacy. To a point." A small smile curls the edge of Max's mouth as he settles back into his chair. A part of him curses himself for getting so riled so quickly. He lays his hands on the table, trying his best to appear unassuming and peaceful, while attempting to relax that tight part of his back that is preparing to propel him across the table. "Now, what do you mean the same could not be said of us? I have had a few gentlemen tell me that I almost live right here in this bar. That is, before I gave up my drinking. Well, I gave up the majority of it."

  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    "You misunderstand my worry," Leslie explains, observing the multitude of magic users in the room. "Which is either an act of clever deceit or, more likely, a fortuitous sign that you likely belong to neither of those later groups I fear are much more dangerous."

    Breathing deep, he turns back to Jaunt, "I believe in signs. And don't think because I'm about to talk about something else that I don't appreciate the offer, but I wasn't there for the secret handshake everyone had when you all walked in. For all I know, you and I are in a room of Seers or Banishers." He takes a long drag off of his drink and finishes it, returning it to the bar. "That said, there's no outrunning a cougar in its den," he adds suddenly beaming, "if we're in we're in. You say this is a safe hangout, I'll cautiously take your word for it."

  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

    "Really? I wasn't aware this place was known for anything special. I hadn't even heard of it before this week." Looking around, she ponders the mix of characters in the bar for a second. "Should I even ask what it is, besides the obvious?"

    why are you smelling it?
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    The man in the fedora briefly seemed as if he had to keep from laughing at Max's response. "Is that so? Bold claim... I'd recognize a face such as yours, and certainly one like your lady friend's, had I seen them before... and I don't believe I have." The questioning tone was gone as the man was all smiles to the passing waitress. "Scotch on the rocks, Suzy. Whatever these two would like." While waiting, the man would make himself comfortable, reclining back in the chair as he looked between the two. "Let's start with cities. You're not locals, for one." It wasn't phrased as a question, or meant as one.


    _________


    "If it ain't obvious, dear, you may want to rethink asking." The singer responded without looking up from her hand as she set down two cards, watching the remaining three in thought. "Let's just say the mundane crimes are the least of our problems."

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    "Yes, a damn shame." Charun replied, a bit uncomfortable due to the suddenly serious attitude of the bartender.

    [ I serve the Ladder. ] "And I serve myself. Unless I have a fine gentleman like you to help me out on that front." Charun smiled hoping that his joke would help to make the tone a bit lighter.

    YamiB. on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Jaunt hesitates at that, "Well, they could be Seers playing a con or in the middle of something delicate I guess. Banishers are just outright insane and would be trying to burn this entire place down so pretty safe on that front. It's just that more or less I trust this place, and well", he shrugs, "I suppose it may be easy to be cavalier when you have an easy escape route. But hey if I jump down a rabbit hole, feel free to follow me."

  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    'Pshaw.' Bellerose matched the man's gesture with a laconic gesture of her own. She would play this game with the other Awakened, though she would have preferred to settle for a quiet evening with Warhorse. 'How very astute of you, tell us what other wonders your eyes can tell you about us.' Her tone blithe, Bellerose was used to the assumptions from less civil minds that her and 'her kind' were just fresh off the boat. If he wanted to play the emperor in his finery hobnobbing with the quaint exotics so be it.

    Bellerose though knew the price of taking people at face value and she wasn't going to underestimate this one even if he was a preening peacock. She concentrated on her Sight and attempted to see if she could sniff out more about the man and see if he had any workings hanging on him.

  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    "[The Ladder, yes? Intriguing... so many of your Order high-tailed it, I'm sad to say. Us Libertines hardly mourn your absence... but of course, the leadership is favorable to the yolk of the Exarchs, wouldn't you agree?]" The bartender responded without looking, focused on wiping a taken glass while smiling as if in reminiscence.

    _________

    "Our eyes are everywhere dear, as I'm sure your militant folk can attest. We've been keeping this city together since the Voice high-tailed it, haven't we? Still, I'm not one to pry without good cause. Information offered freely can be so much more valuable, I find." The man straightened his posture then, offering a faux bow while removing his fedora and holding it to his collar. "...but yes, where are my manners? Call me Robin, the locals all do. We can talk more over drinks, of course."
    Spoiler:

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    Max's blue eyes dart about the smokey room behind their guest looking for any sign of their drink tray, or any drink tray really. Finding nothing he returns his gaze to their fedora wearing friend. His knuckles pop like tiny gunshots as the priest leans back slightly in his chair, flexing his hands. On a smaller man it would have seemed like a relaxed gesture, but with a man of his stature it seems ominous. Every muscle was still tensed for action, but this social preening and double speak that the awakened loved to participate in always caused him a bit of frustration. It is one thing to hide your words from the sleepers around you, it is another to put them around you like a cloak so no can even attempt to decipher their meaning. It made communication difficult to say the least.

    "Well, we can begin our bartering and haggling of knowledge once we are on a little stable footing, friend. Before we start putting cards on the table and naming prices, perhaps you can tell us why a local like yourself blesses two foreign devils like ourselves with your presence?", Max smiles thinly as he talks trying to steer the conversation.

  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Spoiler:
    A little miffed, Lily nevertheless remains polite, "Like I said, I just came here to see you. I'm no stranger to clubs, but if you're implying there's likely to be... trouble... here, I may have to reconsider. I have to deal with enough social stigma just coming to these places as it is; I don't need to draw any other attention."

    why are you smelling it?
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    "Had I not been clear in my intentions? Deepest apologies. It's, quite frankly, my job to be kept abreast of visitors' intentions. I serve the Veil, sir. In so doing, I would expect that you state your intentions of your visit posthaste... and that of your lady friend's, if you could, unless she'd rather inform me herself."

    The man didn't bother masking his words in High Speech. Amidst all the carrying on around them, Robinson doubted anyone would notice, or would care if they did.

    ________

    "Likely? Oh, you fragile little thing. It's a given. You came to the wrong club if all you wanted was a quiet night out. Shame, really." After tossing her hand to the table, the woman made a pointed display of lighting up a cigarette, taking a quick smoke while waiting for the next deal. "Fold." With that said, her attention went back to the other female. "I doubt you'll draw undue attention if you keep your head low, love. That's the real trick nowadays. Especially in this joint."

    fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    And there the man had dropped it on the table, like an elephant announcing its presence. Bellerose looked at Robin, studying him. He had that sniff of a Mind construct protecting his thoughts and if she had to bet, that whiff of Prime meant either he was using Sight or a Shielding...probably Shielding. Robin was girded against the subtle arts, Bellerose had to wonder why he didn't shield himself against more physical presences...confidence or a lack of a guard there? Either way, Warhorse looked like he was ready to serve the violence he was very good at preparing.

    She smiled and rested a hand in front of Warhorse's bigger ones, not touching but a small cue to stay her companion from throttling Robin for just a bit longer. 'Why, we're here to enjoy the local refreshments, no more no less.' She smiled as she lifted up a hand to gesture to a waitress that their table was in need of some freshening up. 'A body works up a thirst after a long day of work.'

  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Spoiler:

    As words only the Awakened can utter or understand pierce the general murmur of the club, Jaunt's vague curiosity is engaged. At the words serving the Veil they have his full attention. Continuing his conversation at the bar he nods towards the Guardian as he says to Six, "Then again, some Pentacle Mages definitely should not be trusted. Ever. As if recent events haven't taught us all a lesson about tolerating the fuckin' Gestapo..."

    Turning his gaze to his glass he focuses on the cracks and warps of the Fallen World, shifting his perception near the pair the Guardian was harassing. What's this idiot thinking, show up alone and make vague threats that he can't back up personally or by citing the Lex?
    Spoiler:

    Lanlaorn on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    Six watches Jaunt for a moment. "Germany had pentacle mages. Russia probably still does." He pushes off of the bar with a subtle nod towards the Mysterium mage at the bar, and approaches the table occupied by mages and poker. An ante in the center of the table and a knowing look communicates enough to the dealer to earn him a hand.

    "The room seemed duller without your voice," Leslie gushes over the performer, arranging his cards in front of him in a practiced manner. A crumpled soft pack relenquishes a cigarette, leaving one more in the pack. "You wouldn't mind sharing that light, would you miss? I play better when I smoke."

  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    [Yes, better than Exarchs and their dogs, better than the rule of Sleepers I would wager as well.] Charun pauses for moment taking a swig from his glass and thinking.

    [If we're to improve as a people we'll need to do it together with real leaders.]

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.