As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VEEP Season 4: Selina Meyer is President, God help us all.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Oh, a masseuse.

Technically male masseuses are called masseurs

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5tjfpKyac

Selina Meyer and Diamond Joe Biden team up for the Correspondent's Dinner intro video.

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    It's entirely amazing.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I don't think America could have gotten a better VP.

Especially after Dick.

But dammit I vote Diamond Party if I had the chance.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain Cheney sustained himself by draining the souls from newborns, so a VP with an actual heartbeat is gigantic step forward.

Also new Veep tonight.

• Options
    Let's throw cum! Let's throw cum!

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    This show has the highest number of insanely quotable lines that I'll never be able to quote around people since they are all so incredibly vulgar.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The whole Kent and Sue thing is the most blatantly artificial forcing of a character trait I've seen in forever, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Dan is such a piece of shit.

Dan is my favorite asshole on the show.
    now you have to wonder who I consider an asshole and how big the pool is

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Dan is such a piece of shit.

Dan is my favorite asshole on the show.
    now you have to wonder who I consider an asshole and how big the pool is
    Is it everyone? I bet it's everyone.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Gary is the only one exempt , but he is basically like a puppy.
    Mike and Amy aren't completely horrible. Ben isn't that bad.

this is on the asshole meter

Egos on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    The last two minutes were incredible. Selena... misreading signals, then totally freaking out after Dan's story. And then 30 seconds later Dan having the same reaction until both of them are just left wondering who they're (metaphorically) getting in bed with. And of course, "let's throw cum! let's throw cum!"

God, I love this show.

• Options
    The show has some of the best endings.

I think my favorite is the one after Catherine's birthday. Mike asking Catherine for a piece of cake as she is crying is just great on several levels.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Taramoor wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da5tjfpKyac

Selina Meyer and Diamond Joe Biden team up for the Correspondent's Dinner intro video.

Selina Meyer doing a Frank Underwood impression is all i ever wanted from TV...

zllehs on
  • Options
    The last two minutes were incredible. Selena... misreading signals, then totally freaking out after Dan's story. And then 30 seconds later Dan having the same reaction until both of them are just left wondering who they're (metaphorically) getting in bed with. And of course, "let's throw cum! let's throw cum!"

God, I love this show.

I just want them to keep coming up with reasons for Dan and Jonah to continue to verbally abuse each other and different ways for Ken to hit on Sue so she can turn him down... unless they are already doing it lol

• Options
    The "I killed a stray dog" confession. Oh god.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    When Veep wants to, it can run a finger down every single uncomfortable, squicked out nerve in your body.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    The "I killed a stray dog" confession. Oh god.

He might have actually had a shot at banging Selina if he wasn't a total sociopath.

• Options
    Pure look of horror on Dan's gave when she said "Give me the nuclear launch codes haha"

Fantastic

• Options
    edited May 2014
    "Nice job with this speech mike its perfect-" "oh thanks" "-ly shit"

"HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SCREW UP A HANDSHAKE MIKE?! ITS 4 FINGERS AND A THUMB!"

Dan is the best lol

zllehs on
  • Options
    In your country you FUCK snow!

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Tiny child balls!

• Options
    Watching Dan and Jonah shit all over each other is the most amazing thing. Both characters are just horrible human beings (though Dan is terribly charismatic and gets away with it more often), and my sympathies flip between them every single time.

I'm not sure what the scope Amy's plan was, though. Just getting Ray out of the way, and everything else was a nice little bonus?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Damn, burning Selina publicly by leaking the Ray's manifesto to Jonah was some serious Game of Thrones-esque evil scheming from Amy to get the campaign manager position (well, without actual murder, but there's still time...). Even if it was just a plan to get Ray fired and the campaign manager position was just a lucky unintended break, doing it that publicly was brutal.

Though knowing this show, she'll crash and burn in the position as well.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    I'm not sure she knew about his stance on how evil fat collects in slothful children's bodies and turns them into little devils. I'd have to watch again, but she seemed surprised by that bit of info.

Not that she isn't likely capable of that kind of self-serving behavior, because everybody on this show is, but I think she only wanted to start rumors about Selina and Ray so that Selina would be forced to ditch him. More personal annoyance spiraling out of control and unintentionally unraveling one of Dan's horrible decisions than Machiavellian scheming.

I like Amy a lot, but the show as a whole just doesn't allow anybody to be as intelligent and competent as she'd have to pull that off. It's part of why I love it. Omnipotent government conspiracies are fun show fodder, but Veep is a lot closer to reality.

Side thing I'm probably misremembering: A great anecdote I heard about In the Loop (same folk as Veep) involved the crew speaking with some ex-Bush White House staff. The staff was asking who'd leaked the story on how things in the White House actually went down in the lead up to the Iraq War, when all the writers had done was create the most ridiculous scenario possible based on public information. Hilarious and scary and sad.

All the major mood groups.

• Options
    Wasn't that British tabloid reporter Jonah spoke to also on The Thick of It?

Also, I agree with Jonah and Mike. That accent was doing it for me, man.

• Options
    Dan Egan. 67, Female. Unemployed campaign manager, thirty different types of semen pumped from stomach, inverted nipples, abnormally high douche readings (that makes sense), cancer of the soul, traces of dog excrement found around the corners of mouth, chronic cretinism, leprosy, anal bleeding, uh… tiny child balls.

Wow.

Reminded me of
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIegpSmIyw

• Options
    Wow.

Everything this week was amazing, from the opening debate prep with Dan Bakkedahl and reveal on Selina's hair to the pre-debate sniping between the candidates to Amy's line about asbestos panties.

Favorite moment might be the exchange between Selina and Gary:
    Selina: "Is it really that bad?"
    Gary: "...Yes."

The joke only works because of how bad it has to be for Gary to say that to Selina's face but JLD and Tony Hale just killed at that moment.

• Options
    The last three episodes better be how much Selina completely fucking destroys her own campaign.

• Options
    I want her to win, not because I'm rooting for them or anything but because I'm curious what direction this show would take with her as President.

Also, God! don't let Mike get divorced already.

• Options
    Part of me was hoping/expecting the Pierce guy (the guy from Nevada, think that was his name) to come out nowhere and gain popularity but then he pulled out the bathtube plug.

Also Zen Dan was great for the glorious 10-15 minutes he existed onscreen.

• Options
    It's like a chicken came in your mouth

• Options
    I finished episode 9 and felt satisfied, the way you do after watching a really good episode of your favourite show. And then I realized: there's one more episode!

Best feeling.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm curious where we're going from here:
    Kept expecting the entire season that there was going to be some reason that the President (and by extension, Selina) was going to keep office, but instead, they managed to give her the presidency now, though with the actual election campaign seemingly going down in flames. So, will next season follow her presidency (or what's left of it), or do we skip ahead until after the election where presumably Selina no longer holds office?

Either way, there doesn't seem to be any possibility of her being Vice President again. So...is the show still going to be "Veep"?

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    They'll find a way. Never underestimate Selina's power to screw up.

• Options
    This was such a good fucking season of comedy.

• Options
    This was such a good fucking season of comedy.

It was so good!

When the show started, I liked it well enough but felt that it was no where near The Thick of It. Now though, I've completely forgotten about The Thick of It. I'm not saying it's better, but it's become it's own thing with a strong cast of characters that I love watching. For me, the show's progression through the seasons has gone from "decent" to "pretty good!" to "best comedy on tv right now".

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The last episode didn't do a whole lot for me. Like one big "YAY!" and then all downhill. Seeing our characters flourish isn't particularly funny, but seeing them fail for reasons that almost seem ...well they felt more forced than other fuck ups. Gary had some nice moments , though.

If they do return the status quo by the end of next season. I'm really hoping it's Thornhill as president instead of Chung. I just don't find Chung that funny, Thornhill seems like he has potential to be somewhat amusing. Hell even Pierce would be more amusing but I think he is out of the running like Maddox. Though never know. I don't think Pierce jumped on the Chung wagon.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm not sure she knew about his stance on how evil fat collects in slothful children's bodies and turns them into little devils. I'd have to watch again, but she seemed surprised by that bit of info.

I'm pretty sure she was just going for "Sleeping with her Trainer" sex scandal type deal. While it would have hurt Selina in the short term, it was definitely more to fuck over Dan. That said people I watch with were a tad surprised , like CaptainTragedy, that Amy would go to those levels.

Jonah found Ray's manifesto on his own through google :)

Egos on
  • Options
    Hugh Laurie to join the cast of VEEP
    Hugh Laurie is White House bound.
    The British actor, best known for his two-time, Golden Globe-winning turn as the title character on House, is joining Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep, EW has confirmed.
    The HBO political comedy left off with vice president Selina Meyer (Louis-Dreyfus) ascending to the oval office when POTUS resigned to take care of his wife. The show is now heading into its fourth season.
    Details are unknown about Laurie’s role at this time, but with Meyer in charge, at least for the time being, someone might fill the role of vice president. Something to consider…

One of my favorite actors is heading to my current favorite show. That's got to count for something.