Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

is my ps2 really busted?

PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
i've got an old ps2. like 35001 or whatever the numbers are.
i've never gotten a disc read error and have been playing okami and god of war with no problem whatsoever.
i recently popped ffx2 and ico in and the game never loads. i get to the browser (which recognizes the discs) and even the ps2 logo. if i wait long enough the opening movie of ico begins...but im wondering what the problem here is.
i don't really mind cleaning the thing out or sending it in to sony...but i've never seen this problem until now and i have owned and used the ps2 since i bought it. i've never seen any of these errors or witnessed anything close to this breakdown until now. not even stuttering or delays.
the discs i use are clean. and, to my horror, the more games i pop in the less work.
i'm wondering if its worth my time to try to open and clean (obviously it already out of warranty) or if i should just send it to them.

PatboyX on
"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
brush1rt1.jpg

• TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you send it to them, the amount of $ for shipping and repairs will be ungodly. I fixed my PS2 myself with a very nice website I found goggling "PS2 disk read error".
    Since I am at work I cannot locate the website so I can post it, but the repair is very easy:
    Basically what you have to do is remove the top casing, remove the thing covering the CD drive careful not to break a few fragile cords that are connected, use a q-tip with a tiny bit of water/alchocol on the tip to remove the dust from the lense bar, add a little bit of sewing machine oil with a different q-tip, replace the top case and you should be good to go!

If you notice a clicking noise when the PS is reading or trying to read a disk, this is most-likely the problem. There should be many a site that will give you pictures and better written instructions than I, but mine is what needs to be done in a nutshell.

Spec_Banner.png
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i have seen these websites. i was wondering 2 things:
    1. okami (and some other games) run and load fine right now. but other discs nothing happens. i have yet to see any actual "disc read error" messages so i wasn't sure if it was the same error.
    2. if i open it and still cant fix it, would it still be possible to send it out. although, it may be cheaper to buy a refurbished one. they seem to cost like 80 bucks or less.

anyway, thanks for any advice/info.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg