As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    kabutodude wrote: »
    I snagged one of the 2nd batch of BYOC tickets. Is it okay to just to bring my laptop? And is it safe to leave a laptop there? Obviously it would be hard for someone to walk out with a full tower, but a laptop is a lot easier to quickly grab.

Lots of people bring laptops. I would suggest that you buy a laptop cable lock if you are leaving it there.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    word must not have gotten out... there are still BYOC passes available? Insanity.

• Options
    matguymatguy Registered User regular
    kabutodude wrote: »
    I snagged one of the 2nd batch of BYOC tickets. Is it okay to just to bring my laptop? And is it safe to leave a laptop there? Obviously it would be hard for someone to walk out with a full tower, but a laptop is a lot easier to quickly grab.

Echo BigRed, plus (assuming this part hasn't changed) major equipment, such as a PC and Monitor, is tagged with a bar code and number that you put on your badge. So, assuming it wasn't hidden under a coat or something, the enforcers at the door would be checking bar codes and such, so they'd have to get your badge and laptop to get out the door, or be very sneaky or lucky.

That said, lock your stuff, like BigRed says.

I think I've heard of one thing getting accidentally picked up in the last few years. Those closer to the events decribed, please feel free to correct me. I think that was a keyboard that BYOC'r A asked BYOC'r B to pick up from his spot, BYOC'r B knew the kind of keyboard and roughly where BYOC'r B was sitting, but accidentally grabbed BYOC'r Y's keyboard that happened to be similar. All was sorted quickly, if I recall correctly. We've lost stuff, of course, but I lose stuff at home, too. BYOC'r's are pretty cool, I think we all cherish this more than the temporary benefit of stealing something as opposed to getting kicked out and probably banned. That's aside from any criminal charges, which are always fun.

That said, again, lock your stuff, like BigRed says.

• Options
    matguymatguy Registered User regular
    Oh, and remember, only BYOC'r's are in the BYOC area, not "general PAX public".

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I'd call BYOC the most generally honest bunch in a convention crowd that generally holds high the motto of Wheaton's Law. I've sat at the same table as guys who accumulated a virtual mountain of swag over the course of three days, and not a single thing managed to grow legs and walk out of the room in someone else's pocket or bag. There may be occasional rare exceptions, you're dealing with good people in a good place when a high-end boxed video card can be safely left unattended atop someone's tower for hours on end.

• Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    I'd call BYOC the most generally honest bunch in a convention crowd that generally holds high the motto of Wheaton's Law. I've sat at the same table as guys who accumulated a virtual mountain of swag over the course of three days, and not a single thing managed to grow legs and walk out of the room in someone else's pocket or bag. There may be occasional rare exceptions, you're dealing with good people in a good place when a high-end boxed video card can be safely left unattended atop someone's tower for hours on end.

Well spoken, sir.

• Options
    Indeed.

Except at East where it seems there are far more less honest types :(

I would store expensive non-tagged Items in your hotel room though.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    Lots of people bring laptops. I would suggest that you buy a laptop cable lock if you are leaving it there.
    While I was able to borrow a laptop cable one year, you guys don't do that anymore. So bring your own laptop cable/locks.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    While I was able to borrow a laptop cable one year, you guys don't do that anymore. So bring your own laptop cable/locks.

One of my staff had a job where he was able to borrow a ton of cable locks that we let people check out.

He doesn't have that job anymore :P

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    Different space? So where is it this year?

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    We're out on the streets, lined up from the convention center down to pike place market. I'm totally claiming the one by the golden pig. (I am kidding)

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PC room will be 3rd floor in the Conference Center (The Annex).

That will be right next to expo :D

• Options
    So is it PAX PRIME BYOC time yet?

I can't to show off my keyboard this year. I'm growing it myself.

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular

BAM.

Will we be able to go straight from BYOC into Expo when it opens, as we did a few years back when BYOC was right next to the hall, or will we need to reroute around to the Line Room?

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    alegria wrote: »

BAM.

Will we be able to go straight from BYOC into Expo when it opens, as we did a few years back when BYOC was right next to the hall, or will we need to reroute around to the Line Room?

I am hoping and going to push for that to be the case.

• Options
    harkingharking Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Anyone have pro tips on the best way for me to pack my PC for air travel? I'll be coming all the way from the East Coast.

I was thinking a regular cardboard box, and use towels or my clothes as padding.

Any other ideas?

harking on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Pull HDs and heatsink, throw computer into the box your case came with, Fedex/UPS it to your hotel, reinstall HD/heatsink that you brought with you on plane, repeat when PAX is finished (well, send it home, not to your hotel again, obviously).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say thanks for making more BYOC spots available. Happy!

• Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    harking wrote: »
    Anyone have pro tips on the best way for me to pack my PC for air travel? I'll be coming all the way from the East Coast.

I was thinking a regular cardboard box, and use towels or my clothes as padding.

Any other ideas?

You'll wanna check your airline's checked baggage policy too... When I flew back to East I noticed some fine print that actually said you were not allowed to check any "computer equipment". Shipping it is probably your best (but expensive) option.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    sizzlersam wrote: »

Any other ideas?

You'll wanna check your airline's checked baggage policy too... When I flew back to East I noticed some fine print that actually said you were not allowed to check any "computer equipment". Shipping it is probably your best (but expensive) option.

IANAL, and YMMV, but unless you were flying out of the country, my guess is that's more of a way for them to Cover their asses in case it gets busted (then they can say "we're not paying for it since you weren't allowed to pack it in the first place.") So I doubt they'd pull it from your bag but if something goes wrong don't expect the airline to come to your rescue with payment.

All of that being said, (with insurance) is likely the best bet to be sure it makes it in once piece (or at the very least so you don't have to pay for it.) Most UPS/Fedex stores even do packing these days.

• Options

Any other ideas?

The best option is to do a case upgrade. When you buy a new case it comes in a nice box with foam buffers. Be careful and take the new case out of the box and don't destroy the foam. Put the parts in the new case and put it back into the foam and box. Viola. Custom packing for your computer!

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

WE LOVE YOU BIG RED!

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    bLankLOLbLankLOL Registered User regular
    I think the best way is to fly direct and pay to put it as your check in bag. If you fly direct it only gets touched coming on and off. If you send it FedEx or ups I think it will come into more contact with hands that will throw it.

My best advice is to make sure everything is ziptied very well and tight. When I took my tower to a LAN the power supply was knocked free but because of my ziptie job it stayed in place. Also take out the things you can with ease (ram CPU cooler video card)

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    alegria wrote: »

BAM.

I <3 you so hard. But in a totally platonic and non-cheating-on-my-husband sort of way. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Picking up my BYOC pass! Glad to have the extra tickets released :D

Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    I am checking back into this thread. When should we expect news about tournaments and other BYOC fun

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I got one! I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    You guys will be able to go to expo right from BYOC. I was told the escalator will open when expo does.
    MOSFET wrote: »
    I am checking back into this thread. When should we expect news about tournaments and other BYOC fun

Tournaments are separate from BYOC, they will be announced later. For BYOC Activities, I typically don't announce these in advance. Mainly cause I dont want people specifically bringing items required, finding hax, or practicing them in advance.

Schedule will be filled with "BYOC Activities" That you will find out about when the previous one ends.

• Options
    Fawkes LamentFawkes Lament Sir Bellingham, WARegistered User new member
    edited July 2012
    Hi, friends! I'm so excited about PAX this year, it's going to be a BLAST! I do have one itsy-bitsy favor to ask of you, though. I would appreciate if people with experience could tell me as much information as possible about BYOC attendees. My only direct question, really, is "What sorts of obligations do those with BYOC passes have,and will it affect my attendance of the rest of the show?" Thank you all in advance for any information at all that you can provide!

I posted a similar thread over on Reddit, if you feel like duplicating any responses over there, please feel free.

EDIT: I have not actually purchased the badge yet, I am posting this to get some information about it before I commit.

EDIT 2: Things I have learned: It's a LAN sort of environment?

Fawkes Lament on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    "None", to both of your questions.

Although it would be rather lame if you bought a BYOC pass and never used it.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Fawkes LamentFawkes Lament Sir Bellingham, WARegistered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »

Kind of the primary point of me bringing my PC would be to show people that the price barrier is not nearly as high as they think. I have a $300 PC, which is almost $150 less than I got my Xbox 360 for.

Also, someone on Reddit kind of "informed" me that it's more of a LAN, which I didn't realize.

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular

Kind of the primary point of me bringing my PC would be to show people that the price barrier is not nearly as high as they think. I have a $300 PC, which is almost $150 less than I got my Xbox 360 for.

Also, someone on Reddit kind of "informed" me that it's more of a LAN, which I didn't realize.

It's a very relaxed LAN. There are tournaments, contests, and just general "things" happening all the time, however people tend to come and go often.

A lot of folks use BYOC as a place to game while waiting for the next panel/event to happen. It's especially great for after the expo hall closes so you can play all night*.

* All night meaning I'm going to kick you out at 2am

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    BYOC is a LAN party within PAX. Mainly, it is a place to go when you feel like taking a break, but want to game with other like minded individuals. Personally I like to spend ample amounts of time meeting new people, join in awesome BYOC events (tournaments for the past years have rocked(not going to name any just encase for additional appearances :D )), and frankly, to have fun. Sure I'll spend tons of time on the show floor and panels, but I always put time into being within the BYOC area for some awesome gaming experiences. Plus it stays open after the expo hall closes, so there is a place to go to chill and have fun. I have never regretted buying a BYOC pass. Something to consider :)

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    You guys will be able to go to expo right from BYOC. I was told the escalator will open when expo does.

Sweet!

• Options

Yes it is a LAN party. Plus its only BYOC people that are allowed into the space. The general public isnt allowed into BYOC.

• Options
    Looks like the BYOC passes are finally gone. That took a lot longer than I thought it would.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    sizzlersam wrote: »
    Looks like the BYOC passes are finally gone. That took a lot longer than I thought it would.

it always takes longer after 3days are sold out

• Options
    that makes sense, just thought it was funny given the number of people on here complaining about not getting in on the first batch.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    Note:

This year I am doing far more game things than previously (But will still have quite a bit of non tech stuff like normal)

Including a bunch of mini-tourneys of either serious or batshit crazy nature.

About half of which will require BF3 or Starcraft2.... The rest will likely be free games.

• Options
    MOSFETMOSFET Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    TF2 tourney? Bball?

This is what I am talking about

MOSFET on
This discussion has been closed.