As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D'aww [chat]

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Our teacher showed us the new Lord of the Flies when I was in grade 6. I think it had just come out or something. Anyway, it's rated R if I remember correctly and no one batted an eye.

Most parents are retarded.

R-rated is a really god damn broad definition when you get right down to it though.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Watching movies like Alien or Robocop while you're too young is like the entire point

Seriously.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    I still haven't watched any of the Alien movies fully. Seriously just cannot deal with it.

On the plus side, playing AvP multiplayer with friends was one of the best gaming experiences ever because holy god did I get being a marine in that game.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    And Robocop was aimed at the teen market, wasn't it?

Also, this evening we're finally going to go and investigate Turtle Burger. That isn't the name, but that is what we have called this strange place. It had better live up to my dreams. Or I'm never coming back to France.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Watching movies like Alien or Robocop while you're too young is like the entire point

I watched robocop on TV when I was like 14. Then I asked my mom to rent it because I missed like the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Thanks to late night TV, I remember the woman in robocop 2 stomping the dude and saying "Nuke me, baby!" with a strange clarity.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    what is wrong with the partner

its a john grisham book

surely its about lawyers lawyering

@ronya chairs bro

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I still haven't watched any of the Alien movies fully. Seriously just cannot deal with it.

On the plus side, playing AvP multiplayer with friends was one of the best gaming experiences ever because holy god did I get being a marine in that game.

I saw AVP before I saw any of the other alien movies so I could never take them seriously

Predator was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid though.

My parents let me see Event Horizon when it came out on VHS. That movie was one of the few that actually gave me nightmares. That and the Brave Little Toaster.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Also, this evening we're finally going to go and investigate Turtle Burger. That isn't the name, but that is what we have called this strange place. It had better live up to my dreams. Or I'm never coming back to France.

Why do you call it turtle Burger? is it a Ninja turtles themed burger joint?

• Options

I always assumed you were one of Britain's many sleeper agents in the 1000 years war.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Why do you call it turtle Burger? is it a Ninja turtles themed burger joint?

The logo is a turtle. His shell is a bap. Hence Turtle Burger.

The real name is some mangled English. Foretime? Gotime? Something like that.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Man sneaking into the living room at night without being caught so you can see the horror films your parents are all watching was the best part of hanging out with my cousins as a kid

Especially when someone gets caught because now you're really in "OH SHIT" mode scrambling to make sure at least they didn't see that you specifically were there

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    The guy getting out of the chemical vat in Robocop 2? Still squigs me out.

Also there are apparently books after The Giver in the same series, one of which clears up the hazy ending of it. Not sure if I want to read them or just leave it how I remember it.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I've never even heard of the giver.

My moms favorite book is the giving tree. She has had it on display in the living room for as long as I can remember. This means something

That could be the most depressingly horrible book ever. It actually is banned from our shelves, because we hate it.

Pish posh. Everyone loves The Giving Tree. It's a book that makes every child in the classroom think, "That's not fair! The man took but he never gave! Abuse of the social safety net is a serious problem and now I'm going to vote Republican for the rest of my life!"

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Our teacher showed us the new Lord of the Flies when I was in grade 6. I think it had just come out or something. Anyway, it's rated R if I remember correctly and no one batted an eye.

The teacher turned off romeo and Juilet for the butt scene

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Weirdly my mother didn't let me watch The Simpsons until I was in sixth grade because she didn't want me turning into a sarcastic jerk.

Good job on that one, mom.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Senior year of highschool we got my German teacher to show us The Big Lebowski for Filmtag

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Parents who prevented their children from watching The Simpsons are the worst kind of monster

Seriously doing that to a kid in the schools I grew up in stunted them socially because fuckin' everyone watched it from like Grade 1 or 2 onward

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nice.

Found out someone's been stealing the key to the server room from the office manager and eating food in there.

How'd I find out? I stuck my hand down into a leaking puddle of ranch dressing. 1 inch away from the server's intake area.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

None of them. Let them be exposed and teach them to question until they get satisfactory answers.

A reasoned person need not fear any knowledge.

Children are not reasoned people yet!

That's what the teach them part is there for. They won't become reasoned people if they're insulated from things, especially bad things.

Have them read Atlas Shrugged and show them why its crap.
    Show them Godfather 3 and teach them why its horrible.
    Indeed, give them the prequels so that they may learn.

Non-parent detected. Legit children cannot even make more advanced structuralistic judgements until they hit their teens or so.

They don't know why the fuck Godfather III was too on the nose and artless, they just know that Daddy Hates This Thing for some reason. Guess I'll hate it too, because my undeveloped monkey brain tells me to do so.

I'm not saying show little kids this stuff, clearly they're not developed enough. But you can select age appropriate lessons. Insulating children is stupid. You don't show a three year old Scarface, but you don't never let them see it. Which the original question asked.

I dunno, man. I'm like 99% right with you on the not shielding your kids from things once they're mature enough to handle it, but... is there really a moral imperative to open every single door for your kids?

Is there something inherently wrong with the idea that if there was one evil, hateful, destructive thing you could be certain they never discovered or even heard of as children, you should take that opportunity?

You don't need to shield children too much from the hateful, or evil. They get that. You have to shield them from the romantic, and the insidious.

Not entirely of course, romance is great. But it's the potentially very destructive harmful ideas that get couched in an appealing romantic aura that you have to be extra aware of. Drug and/or party culture being the most obvious examples. Although I suppose it's less about total avoidance, and more about inoculation.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    The guy getting out of the chemical vat in Robocop 2? Still squigs me out.

Also there are apparently books after The Giver in the same series, one of which clears up the hazy ending of it. Not sure if I want to read them or just leave it how I remember it.

That scene happens in Robocop 1. The chemicals wash over him when he crashes into the big thing.

It's a little gross so... only watch it if you want to see that.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Of course we were all exposed to some age-inappropriate things when we were kids. Does this suggest that we should then accept that all possible things are therefore acceptable to consume at inappropriate ages?

I'm not defining inappropriate because it's different to some extent for all kids, because they are unique people that develop differently from each other.

I guess we're going to need dragging the extreme in here to illustrate the point. Choco, AMFE, those of you who agree. Are you saying that, when considering The Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

a) It would be OK if my kids read this book at some pre-adult age, even without my knowledge.
    b) It would be OK if my kids read this book at some pre-adult age, as long as I was able to talk to them about it.
    c) I would prefer my kids never discovered this book before adulthood
    d) I would give this book to my kids.

After choosing, please explain why!

For my part, I choose c firstly because it's a disgusting piece of antisemitic filth that does nothing whatsoever to educate my children, and could do much to harm them were I unaware they read it or somehow were convinced it was a valid source to reference. Secondly because why the hell do kids need to be exposed to everything terrible that ever was written?

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    did you guys ever have to watch that series of videos for science class where it followed a ship and crew

the manatee or something?

all i remember is there was one episode where the captain with the big grey beard got hypothermia and so they had the two young guys strip down to their underwear and get in a sleeping back with him

we thought it was hysterical

Voyage of the Mimi, dude. Anyone from my class will immediately join in if someone starts singing that stupid theme tune. Do do doot doot doooot do-doot...

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Parents who prevented their children from watching The Simpsons are the worst kind of monster

Seriously doing that to a kid in the schools I grew up in stunted them socially because fuckin' everyone watched it from like Grade 1 or 2 onward

The simpsons was the one thing my parents barred me from watching as a kid. Total Recall? Sure! Simpsons? No way mister! It didn't actually end up meaningfully impacting my social life though.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

hardcore anal sex would be a bit much for a grade 6 class to watch. I think your teacher made the right call.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    did you guys ever have to watch that series of videos for science class where it followed a ship and crew

the manatee or something?

all i remember is there was one episode where the captain with the big grey beard got hypothermia and so they had the two young guys strip down to their underwear and get in a sleeping back with him

we thought it was hysterical

Voyage of the Mimi, bro

they used sunlight to boil seawater to distill it!

it was also the acting debut of a certain Mr. Affleck

YES

I knew I would be late to the party with this, but hi5 anyway bros!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nice.

Found out someone's been stealing the key to the server room from the office manager and eating food in there.

How'd I find out? I stuck my hand down into a leaking puddle of ranch dressing. 1 inch away from the server's intake area.

Alternate theory: the server is now sentient and has a taste for ranch dressing in its quest to be a real person.

As much as I'd like this to be the case, I already know who's doing it because they used to do it in the store room.

And then we found ranch dressing packages and it oozing down the sides of everyfuckingthing.

Longest day with alcohol wipes in the world.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

hardcore anal sex would be a bit much for a grade 6 class to watch. I think your teacher made the right call.

There's a sliding scale of Romeo & Juliet films.

It goes from Baz Luhrman which is clean and nice, to the one where you see Juliet's boobs to the one that has the play condensed into a five minute prelude to a very graphic anal scene.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Nice.

Alternate theory: the server is now sentient and has a taste for ranch dressing in its quest to be a real person.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I like how the butt in Romeo & Juliet is basically legendary

every middle schooler hears whispered tales of it

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The simpsons was the one thing my parents barred me from watching as a kid. Total Recall? Sure! Simpsons? No way mister! It didn't actually end up meaningfully impacting my social life though.

I'm exaggerating a little

Though it'd be common gossip that _____'s parents don't even let them watch The Simpsons, man!"

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My friend and I snuck out of my bed room while my parents were watching Robocop. So I saw the face melting scene when I was like 4 or 5. It stuck with me.

I also watched Terminator 2 when I was in third grade. I love that movie so much. But my mom also read me Jurassic Park when I was in 4th grade. That book was so awesome when I was that young. My 6th grade teacher was reading us Congo but a parent got mad so he had to stop. But he did have us go through most of Poe for Halloween. Seriously, Poe is really creepy and scary when you are young. It was really awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It goes from Baz Luhrman which is clean and nice, to the one where you see Juliet's boobs to the one that has the play condensed into a five minute prelude to a very graphic anal scene.

Wait? What? One of them has an anal scene? I thought emn was joking.

Yeah, I'm unaware of this fact as well. Please direct me to the classic Shakespearean anal scene.

• Options
    Nice.

Someone should tell it if it wants to be a real person it'll look for Caesar dressing instead

• Options

Wait? What? One of them has an anal scene? I thought emn was joking.

• Options

Eh, that's what, verge of puberty?

If anal sex was better explained to preteens, there'd be less stories of how it can all go horribly wrong.

• Options
    Nice.

As much as I'd like this to be the case, I already know who's doing it because they used to do it in the store room.

And then we found ranch dressing packages and it oozing down the sides of everyfuckingthing.

Longest day with alcohol wipes in the world.

Who the fuck eats like that. How do you get ranch dressing on things? I want a picture of this person because in my mind they are basically Jabba the Hutt + Newman in his Jurassic Park role.

• Options
    Of course we were all exposed to some age-inappropriate things when we were kids. Does this suggest that we should then accept that all possible things are therefore acceptable to consume at inappropriate ages?

I'm not defining inappropriate because it's different to some extent for all kids, because they are unique people that develop differently from each other.

I guess we're going to need dragging the extreme in here to illustrate the point. Choco, AMFE, those of you who agree. Are you saying that, when considering The Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

a) It would be OK if my kids read this book at some pre-adult age, even without my knowledge.
    b) It would be OK if my kids read this book at some pre-adult age, as long as I was able to talk to them about it.

For my part, I choose c firstly because it's a disgusting piece of antisemitic filth that does nothing whatsoever to educate my children, and could do much to harm them were I unaware they read it or somehow were convinced it was a valid source to reference. Secondly because why the hell do kids need to be exposed to everything terrible that ever was written?

The reality is that kids will be exposed to things outside of your control. I'd prefer if there was an atmosphere where I can talk to my kids about things that they read. I'd also hope that the way I raise them would prepare them to know that being a racist fuck isn't okay so that they'd have the power to choose not to bother with that shit on their own.

This whole thing seems like a literary version of abstinence only education.

I'll teach my kids that there are things out there that are awful and bad and do my best to prepare them to be able to deal with those kinds of things. Keeping kids in a bubble doesn't do anything and just because I'm not going out of my way to purge their universe of things I find distasteful doesn't mean I'm handing it to them.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I would do B but with addendum of having them educated about the background of the material as well. Also what are you defining as pre-adult age? Before 18? Before 20? Before 15? It would also have a lot to do with how grown up my child is. Of course my kid would be raised in a home that would be culturally Jewish so I wouldn't worry too much about them becoming antisemitic. But I can see having a 15 year old read it while going through a class on post WWI Germany through WWII Germany. That way they have the background of how it was used and that period, use a primary source of one side and learn to do some critical thinking towards a book they are reading. I would also be able to have a good conversation with them on antisemitism they can face in their life.

It wouldn't be something I would give to a 4th grader who might not be able to approach it with a critical eye.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Eh, that's what, verge of puberty?

If anal sex was better explained to preteens, there'd be less stories of how it can all go horribly wrong.

OR, and I'm just throwing this crazy suggestion out there, students can restrain themselves and not have sex until they're 18.

Yeah dude, that is pretty crazy

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    i read protocols as part of a history course when i was 12

properly couched its fine, like many other historical documents that are not disturbing as much as simply wrong, and explained as such are actively rendered to nothing

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.