As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D'aww [chat]

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ah android fragmentation

heh

poo
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    You're all fascists.

Lh96QHG.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Apparently there's obj-c++ but I am not sure the point of that is. Interfacing C++ classes into obj-c syntax?

Just looked that up. Why would you even?

I don't know, but fuck obj-c.

BRACKETS AND MESSAGING! Die in a fire, thanks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    hi tyrannus

do you have any fun and awesome statistics for global production rates of sugar circa 1600?
    What on earth are you planning?

Agriculture!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Apparently there's obj-c++ but I am not sure the point of that is. Interfacing C++ classes into obj-c syntax?

Glad to see an informed user of the language passing rational judgements.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited April 2012
    I mean it's not even the different syntax, that's okay in practice it's just the confusing terminology for things we already have, functions aren't functions anymore! And you don't call them!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    OOP in PHP looks like poop. From a butt. It's all "Hey, we need to tack on OOP to our language!"

Still better than obj-c.

Hey let's assimilate another language into C to make it super confusing, different, and trendy!

A little LttP, but goddamn objective-C needs to go away. Forever.

Performance, multiplatform code, and interfacing with C++ libraries among other reasons.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    ah android fragmentation

heh

I just don't feel like rooting my phone!

I'm lazy!

Psn:wazukki
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    hi tyrannus

do you have any fun and awesome statistics for global production rates of sugar circa 1600?

Agriculture!

I think I need to know more. Is it for a game?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule

I'm going through multiple books right now.

It is, without a doubt, ridiculous.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Woot!

I successfully fixed both broken iPhone's. The digitizer replacement seems to have worked out better then the case replacement. Gave 1 to Bulgarian girl, and I guess the other will be a spare.

Also apparently the laboratory females think this behavior is adorable.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    good lord.

I cracked open a door and within I saw a myriad of worlds. Dizzying possibility spread out before me, formless yet vastly complex... no path was marked, no map could navigate the endless universe, but I knew that if I stretched out my hand I would grasp the power to create whatever I imagined.

Guys, last night I downloaded the Unreal Development Kit.

spool32 on

I'm going through multiple books right now.

It is, without a doubt, ridiculous.

Message passing is not function calling and eventually you will figure out why the syntax is all different.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    You're all fascists.

You're wrong. I judge people based on more than just the attractiveness of their faces.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    charlotte's web
    the lion the witch and the wardrobe
    the secret of nimh
    a wrinkle in time

919UOwT.png
    hi tyrannus

Agriculture!

No

Paper I'm writing

fuck gendered marketing
    edited April 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    OOP in PHP looks like poop. From a butt. It's all "Hey, we need to tack on OOP to our language!"

Still better than obj-c.

Hey let's assimilate another language into C to make it super confusing, different, and trendy!

A little LttP, but goddamn objective-C needs to go away. Forever.

Performance, multiplatform code, and interfacing with C++ libraries among other reasons.

:rotate:

bowen on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    hi tyrannus

Agriculture!

No

Paper I'm writing
    do it on the Olympus fraud instead

Message passing is not function calling and eventually you will figure out why the syntax is all different.

For the most part: "Because Apple"

ronya wrote: »
    Fuck. I used to be so good at fluffing unimpressive results. Years of training myself to write with directness is starting to backfire.

Yes, the job of a fluffer can be thankless and demanding.

tyrannus wrote: »
    hi tyrannus

Agriculture!

No

Paper I'm writing

I don't know what that is

I'm not starting over to find out

fuck gendered marketing
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Fuck. I used to be so good at fluffing unimpressive results. Years of training myself to write with directness is starting to backfire.

aRkpc.gif
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Well, perhaps not so much directness. Apropos:
    Advice For Writers

by John Holbo on April 27, 2012

I’m reading Chesterton on George Bernard Shaw (no, I’m not really sure why either):

“A quick eye for ideas may actually make a writer slow in reaching his goal, just as a quick eye for landscapes might make a motorist slow in reaching Brighton. An original man has to pause at every allusion or simile to re-explain historical parallels, to re-shape distorted words. Any ordinary leader-writer (let us say) might write swiftly and smoothly something like this: “The element of religion in the Puritan rebellion, if hostile to art, yet saved the movement from some of the evils in which the French Revolution involved morality.” Now a man like Mr. Shaw, who has his own views on everything, would be forced to make the sentence long and broken instead of swift and smooth. He would say something like: “The element of religion, as I explain religion, in the Puritan rebellion (which you wholly misunderstand) if hostile to art — that is what I mean by art — may have saved it from some evils (remember my definition of evil) in which the French Revolution — of which I have my own opinion — involved morality, which I will define for you in a minute.” That is the worst of being a really universal sceptic and philosopher; it is such slow work. The very forest of the man’s thoughts chokes up his thoroughfare. A man must be orthodox upon most things, or he will never even have time to preach his own heresy.”

Ah, graduate school, and trying to write my dissertation. I remember it well. (Shudder.) I don’t know whether I was a budding universal philosopher, but I did commit the sin of wanting to be a multifold heretic within the scope of a single paragraph, or sentence. I’ve tried to stop doing that.

aRkpc.gif
    And ultimately, pre-baked parallelization isn't really a concern. I guess I understand your snark, but message passing, for all intents and purposes, is method calling on an object.

children should also not be allowed to read enders game

hatchet
    the hobbit
    catcher in the rye

919UOwT.png
    And ultimately, pre-baked parallelization isn't really a concern. I guess I understand your snark, but message passing, for all intents and purposes, is method calling on an object.

Isn't it implicitly asynchronous?

There is some logic to having the language handle boring repetitive tasks for you.

spool32 wrote: »
    So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

None of them. Let them be exposed and teach them to question until they get satisfactory answers.

A reasoned person need not fear any knowledge.

Children are not reasoned people yet!

every child should be made to read 1984 and animal farm though

repeatedly

919UOwT.png

For the most part: "Because Apple"

Ugh, come on.

It's because it has to simultaneously co-exist with existing C syntax, allow for mingling with C++ without getting confusing, and offer new features. I mean, you can't call functions that don't exist but you can certainly pass messages to objects that don't respond to them. It's actually pretty awesome.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gooey hates fun

So [chat], if I were given the power to guarantee that one book was never discovered my my kids, which one should it be?

None of them. Let them be exposed and teach them to question until they get satisfactory answers.

Also as a grown adult, I've read things I wish I hadn't.

And I guess if you're really into dynamic binding it'd be cool.

Somehow I'd figure if you were after speed and performance on a mobile platform you'd stick with simula and it's compile-time binding rather than small-talk, be different like Apple syndrome.

Gooey wrote: »
    every child should be made to read 1984 and animal farm though

repeatedly

Probably, but if my own public school education is any indication, teachers read this post and thought you just typed "Lord of the Flies" like 7 times.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

That's what the teach them part is there for. They won't become reasoned people if they're insulated from things, especially bad things.

Have them read Atlas Shrugged and show them why its crap.
    Show them Godfather 3 and teach them why its horrible.
    Indeed, give them the prequels so that they may learn.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

The original Necronomicon, purportedly written on human skin and penned with human blood, and possessing the power to invoke the Old Ones.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    hi tyrannus

Agriculture!

No

Paper I'm writing

I don't know what that is

I'm not starting over to find out
    YEAH WELL YOU'RE CUTE

Oh my god. This Community episode is awesome.

edited April 2012

Isn't it implicitly asynchronous?

There is some logic to having the language handle boring repetitive tasks for you.

I'd figure the run-time binding is the biggest draw to it. You only implement a message on some objects, you can send it to all, and only those that implement it respond back properly, the rest ignore it. If I were to wager some guesses.

Edit: whereas the simula compile-time binding would require all those objects to implement the message/method or else fail to compile (what we see in C++ with inheritance and virtual functions).

bowen on
    Gooey wrote: »
    children should also not be allowed to read enders game

hatchet
    the hobbit
    catcher in the rye

is this sarcasm

I'm not sure because we are using the internet

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Also as a grown adult, I've read things I wish I hadn't.

you said you liked my gandalf/darth maul slashfic!

This discussion has been closed.