As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »
    If there's enough interest for East, I'll add the event to Buttoneering.org.

It would be pretty awesome to just have an identical style site for the card trading ;)

I thought about it, and even started one. I'd love it if Vanilla would add the ability for the forums to be an OAuth2 provider so I wouldn't need to be in the business of account creation.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    If @Menolly07 doesn't do the mail trade, I'm happy to do it.

• Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I just wanted to say I had a fantastic time Buttoneering!! It was my first year doing it and I think I'm addicted now. It was totally awesome getting to meet the people behind the buttons.

A few memorable encounters I thought it'd be cool to jot down:

-Everyone at PAX about BigRed's button. I couldn't go anywhere without the enormity of it being discussed.
    -Komi was cool to meet. We discussed Buttoneering for a while and I believe this was his first time. I was relived to meet another first timer. Hope you got to trade a lot more after we met, Komi!
    -Cronus, I wore your button upside-down all 3 days of PAX. It wasn't until I looked at it closely tonight that I realized, haha!

I think the two buttons that made me laugh the hardest are JobiwanKenobi's Dovah-Kleen "Shout it out!", and B:L's Kirbo Gooding Jr. buttons. Syrae's Batman button is another favorite.

Thanks to all the Buttoneers I met that made this such a great experience at PAX Prime 2012!

Now I only have a few hundred days to plan my next buttons. Yes, plural. I need to get a bonus button going in 2013. :D:D:D

Haha, wow, you just put the biggest smile on my face. It took me a minute to realize who you were until I looked up your button. That was definitely awesome, I don't remember you saying if it was your first time or not but you certainly didn't seem like it was.

It was awesome meeting you, and getting stopped as I was making a run for the bathroom lol.

I really only managed to trade like.. 5 buttons during PAX, the rest happened during the meetup on Sunday, but my most memorable moment is RichSoCash coming to my hotel to give me a set of his pins/magnets he made. I feel really bad that I didn't get to give him one of my buttons or meet him though, because my phone decided to turn off notification messages and I had no clue he was in the lobby waiting for me D:. He was awesome enough to hide them somewhere clever in the lobby and send me a picture via twitter though, and now they're proudly making my magnetic whiteboard useful.

RichSoCash, if you by chance still want a button from me, I'm totally willing to mail one to you. Let me know. o:

Komi on
    -PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    If there's enough interest for East, I'll add the event to Buttoneering.org.

It would be pretty awesome to just have an identical style site for the card trading ;)

I thought about it, and even started one. I'd love it if Vanilla would add the ability for the forums to be an OAuth2 provider so I wouldn't need to be in the business of account creation.

PA-based authentication would be baller.

If buttoneering.org will be needed for PAX East, I'll be sure to get the iOS app ready in time. Next Prime we'll have the app and I will have a bonus button for those that present the iOS/Android app to me. :)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    As usual, buttoneering was awesome. The Sunday meetup is always the perfect way to cap off PAX, such a crazy .5-1 hour.

See you all next year, and if anyone is at East I'm sure I'll have a button for that too! It just doesn't feel like a PAX without giving purebuttons some money.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    If anyone wants my Bowie button and/or my bonus button, just send me a PM and we can work out a mail exchange. :) Using a small bubble envelope should be enough to protect a few buttons, while still being inexpensive to mail, and the second person can just re-use it with a fresh label and stamps.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    as a first timer buttoneering was actually more fun than I' d thought - even without being overly pro-active about it (also wish I hadn't left my bag of buttons in the hotel room for the final meet up - turns out 50 or so isn't enough for that!)

oh and apologies to the person that I took both buttons from instead of one (when it wasn't directly offered) I was really tired and worn out by then, and the previous 3 or so people had offered both their buttons so I was kinda on auto-pilot - wasn't being a douche intentionally !
    can't remember who it was off hand and I haven't gotten home yet so haven't unpacked and worked out which buttons I did / didn't get yet

• Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Komi wrote: »
    RichSoCash, if you by chance still want a button from me, I'm totally willing to mail one to you. Let me know. o:
    Let's shoot for PAX East. Pretty confident I'll be making that trip.

• Options
    SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    I'm sorry I didn't get to play the Buttoneering game this year. I DID wear my vest covered in buttons from 2010, and I want to thank the exceptionally kind people who gave me their buttons anyway, so I could feel like I was playing. I promise, next year I'm throwing down big time. I'm going to make a button for every shield in Skyrim. :)

• Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    I had a great time with this whole thing! Though clearly next year I'm going to need to order more, at least if I end up with such a popular design. xD Ran out of my main button about halfway through the Sunday meetup, and that was no fun! At LEAST 150 next year, if not 200 (given my propensity for just handing them out to cool people even if they don't have buttons for me in trade). And despite my worries, I only ended up bringing 4 or 5 bonus home with me.

I may also, if folks missed out on the hotcakes "Geek Girls Turn Me On" button, make a 2nd small run of them for next year. =)

• Options
    RichSoCash wrote: »

Sounds great to me, ill be sure to bring them with then. Might even make another button for east, even though I hear buttoneering isn't a big thing at east like it is at prime.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

Sounds great to me, ill be sure to bring them with then. Might even make another button for east, even though I hear buttoneering isn't a big thing at east like it is at prime.

East does trading cards instead of buttons. Watch the forums for the card trading thread to appear!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Are we allowed to hand out leftover Prime buttons along with the trading cards? :D

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    No, the Button Police will arrest you.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options

East does trading cards instead of buttons. Watch the forums for the card trading thread to appear!

That's what I hear. o: I'm looking forward to seeing that thread appear so I can learn a bit about it.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    Did anybody get a picture of the button board once it was done??

• Options
    jonxp said he did - I left it with him to put on any stragglers and send it off to the signing on Sunday morning. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Oh, sorry!

IMG_20120902_105929.jpg

That's from my phone. I still haven't cleaned off my camera, so I might have a better one later.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    That's awesome! I love that my buttons are visually distinct enough that I can pick them out even in the mass of everything :D

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Oh, sorry!

IMG_20120902_105929.jpg

That's from my phone. I still haven't cleaned off my camera, so I might have a better one later.

YAY! I can see my buttons! Gabe & Tycho have a thing of mine, that makes me feel oddly special. =D

• Options
    Thanks jonxp!

Yeah...maybe next year I'll bring several different button boards to choose from. I barely got everything on the board last year, and given we had WAY more designs signed up, I bought a bigger one - but I guess not everyone made it to drop off a button, so the board looks a little empty. Ah, well. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I might have only traded a few buttons, but eveyone was super nice and I had a great time doing it. Here's to an even better 2013.

• Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    My button didn't make it onto the board. I don't think I ever went into the Annex, always in table top free-play.

• Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    i still have a crapton of buttons left this year. Last year i couldn't go 5 minutes without someone stopping me to ask for a button . . . this year hardly anyone stopped me and I rarely ever noticed anyone who had proper tradable buttons.

SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    JarethJareth Registered User new member
    Hey Buttoneers,

This was my first time going to PAX and I had an absolute blast. I think next time I will try to join the buttoneering because it looks like a great time but this year I didn't even know it existed! I just kept seeing people with loads of buttons (particularly the Big Red and David Bowie buttons) and thinking they looked pretty freaking cool.

I know this isn't the right spot for this exactly but I thought you might be able to help me out anyway.

I'm looking for someone who is willing to do a trade of theater buttons. I'm looking for Wolfman theater, and I'd be willing to trade Serpent (or any other random swag button) for it. I know there is a Swag thread, and I'll probably post there, but it seems like they're all looking for big fancy things like T-shirts. Let me know if anyone has an extra Wolfman theater button out there. I have some random swag and it's an important button to me, so I'd be willing to work something out!

Thanks!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Alright guys. I finally got off my arse and came up with a plan for mail order buttoneering, so listen up!

PAX '12 Mail Order Buttoneering is complete!
    <removed>

Covet on
  • Options
    Jareth wrote: »
    This was my first time going to PAX and I had an absolute blast. I think next time I will try to join the buttoneering because it looks like a great time but this year I didn't even know it existed! I just kept seeing people with loads of buttons (particularly the Big Red and David Bowie buttons) and thinking they looked pretty freaking cool.

You just vindicated my button choice right there - my husband was all annoyed that Labyrinth and Jareth weren't "nerdy enough." FIE ON HIM, I say. :)

Covet, I <3 you so much right now. Whoever's got the shiny Captain America shield buttons, you BETTER TAKE PART because I WANT ONE. <3

Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    Covet, I <3 you so much right now. Whoever's got the shiny Captain America shield buttons, you BETTER TAKE PART because I WANT ONE. <3

This. I need to see how many buttons I have left, I burned through so many this year and I had 150 each of a main and a bonus button!

I really liked the buttoneering by mail thing last year, so thanks so much for running it this year Covet! I'm going to try and figure that out this weekend :)

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    I have submitted my buttons! There are a few buttons I'm hoping to still snag.

Let there be games!
  • Options
    Cliffs of SanityCliffs of Sanity Registered User regular
    Covet wrote: »
    Alright guys. I finally got off my arse and came up with a plan for mail order buttoneering, so listen up!

Excellent! So the fact that I just now got off MY arse and looked at the forums for the first time since PAX means I haven't missed out on the mail button trade!

I probably won't get to the form for another day or two, but Pickett and I both have a fair number left (ordered 200, got 238 each), so we'll be sending some to you.

• Options
    etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Seems I do not have more than one or two buttons of each design for this year left. I may have to back out sadly. :(

etherealvision on
    Let there be games!
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I plan to send my buttons, but I just moved and they are packed away somewhere. I'll try to find them in time :)

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have a ton of buttons left. There were just not that many that were able to swing by PC room this past year :-/ Looks like I will have to re-use the same button next year (If I can even go to PAX).

I could probably mail mine out, ill have to see how much it will cost.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    JarethJareth Registered User new member
    alegria wrote: »
    You just vindicated my button choice right there - my husband was all annoyed that Labyrinth and Jareth weren't "nerdy enough." FIE ON HIM, I say. :)

Fie on him indeed! Labyrinth is super nerdy! And super awesome! My name's Sarah so I was always a little gaga over that movie...

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm a little behind in the trade due to real life, so I'm extending the deadlines for more people to participate.

Mail order buttoneering info here.

NEW Deadlines
    Fill out the form before November 25.
    Send me your buttons by November 30.
    Buttons will be sorted and shipped by December 15.

BigRed wrote: »
    I could probably mail mine out, ill have to see how much it will cost.
    I'm local. I can come pick them up if that's easier.

Covet on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    /flails

I need to do this sooooooooon.

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Yay. glad deadline was extended because this slipped my mind. Now I have more time to put it off and forget and re-remember :P

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Today's news post is rather hilarious and potentially a game changer for buttoneering:
    The plan is to do tons of great PA pins but also pins for games and publishers. I’d love it if you could get an Assassins Creed pin at the Ubi booth during PAX or maybe sit in on a panel for the next Halo and walk out with a sweet pin. I really want pin trading to be big at future PAX shows!

Looks like future PAXes are gonna be shifting into overdrive for everyone addicted to buttons!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    He wants pin trading to be big at "future" ones? Kinda a dick move to not even mention Butoneering after being given big displays of pins every year...

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    skarsol wrote: »
    He wants pin trading to be big at "future" ones? Kinda a dick move to not even mention Butoneering after being given big displays of pins every year...

Yeah I'm not sure I'd say dick move, but definitely a little bit of an unintentional slap in the face. But they're pins, not buttons! It's different! /sarcasm...

This discussion has been closed.