As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    I've got ideas for mine. This is my first PAX & don't know when I'll be back, so I want to try and do as much as I can, without overwhelming myself.

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    @ Knight_
    Looks cool. Could you add my forum handle along the top, inside the blue text/border, and have Pax Prime '12, Seattle WA curved along the bottom, inside the blue text/border?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    Just curious, does the buttoneering site allow multiple designs for a single year, for bonus buttons and such? I was going to go ahead and upload my "retro" (ie 2010) design that I have a few left overs of, then add my primary design when my husband finally finishes it for me. I only saw options for changing the design though, not for adding additional ones, so I wanted to wait to upload my old one until I knew for certain.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    @ Knight_
    Looks cool. Could you add my forum handle along the top, inside the blue text/border, and have Pax Prime '12, Seattle WA curved along the bottom, inside the blue text/border?

Do you mean in the part that will be shown on the back? If so, yea, I can do that real quick tonight. Do you have any font preferences? :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just curious, does the buttoneering site allow multiple designs for a single year, for bonus buttons and such? I was going to go ahead and upload my "retro" (ie 2010) design that I have a few left overs of, then add my primary design when my husband finally finishes it for me. I only saw options for changing the design though, not for adding additional ones, so I wanted to wait to upload my old one until I knew for certain.

It does allow multiple separate designs per year (or at least it did last year).

Knight_ wrote: »
    @ Knight_

Do you mean in the part that will be shown on the back? If so, yea, I can do that real quick tonight. Do you have any font preferences? :p
    I'd like it on the front of the button. Above and below the N7. Kinda like how the Challenge Coins have their wording oriented.

I'm sorry if I'm being too picky.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Knight_ wrote: »
    @ Knight_

I'd like it on the front of the button. Above and below the N7. Kinda like how the Challenge Coins have their wording oriented.

I'm sorry if I'm being too picky.

Naw, s'fine. Just trying to figure out what you want, curved text and whatnot is easy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

It does allow multiple separate designs per year (or at least it did last year).

K, I'll check it again once I'm home; I've got most of my files available online but I think I only have my old button on my main PC at home.

• geekyglamorousgeekyglamorous Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Apologies for a n00b question but do we just give our buttons out randomly? How do we know who to trade buttons with? :| This is my first PAX and experience buttoneering so any help is appreciated.

• ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    I coined the term "buttoneer" on a lark back in 2008. It's awesome that the name has stuck for so long.

1EAFQ.gif
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    awyldknght wrote: »
    I've got ideas for mine. This is my first PAX & don't know when I'll be back, so I want to try and do as much as I can, without overwhelming myself.

You and i are on the same boat, hope to run into you there! :)

Apologies for a n00b question but do we just give our buttons out randomly? How do we know who to trade buttons with? :| This is my first PAX and experience buttoneering so any help is appreciated.

i'm thinking anyone who seems interested in your button, someone who wants to trade, or maybe just someone awesome that you met, either wy, make the best out of it.

also, i noticed you are from L.A. are you heading up by train?

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, you will find out when you get there who is a Buttoneer or not. Some folks may have previous years' buttons on them or already have some of their own current year's to be ready and able to trade. Others are so identifiable *CoughBigRedCough* you just know who they are.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    Crogoth wrote: »
    i'm thinking anyone who seems interested in your button, someone who wants to trade, or maybe just someone awesome that you met, either wy, make the best out of it.

also, i noticed you are from L.A. are you heading up by train?

Ah ok, thanks! I'm not no, I'll be flying. Unfortunately I can't take off that much time from work even though the train options sounds fun!

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    y'all better prepare yourself for: BADGER BADGES

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Honestly, you will find out when you get there who is a Buttoneer or not. Some folks may have previous years' buttons on them or already have some of their own current year's to be ready and able to trade. Others are so identifiable *CoughBigRedCough* you just know who they are.

Usually Buttoneers will have MANY buttons visible, and that's a huge way to tell us apart from other folks who may be wearing a button or two for some other reason.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular

Totally. You can also mark the ones that will be considered "bonus".

It's a lot easier than you would think! Look for people with lots of buttons (especially if they're wearing lots of the same buttons, or buttons you recognize from here) and say "Buttons?". Generally, they'll respond with "Buttons!" and the trading may commence. Also, come by BYOC, Console/PC Freeplay, or any other area where lots of folks are and yell "BUTTONS!". People will make their way to you.

It may sound like I'm joking about this stuff, but past participants can tell you that I am definitely not.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I actually ordered them on Friday, buuuuutttt....
    The Main Button:
    Frogger.jpg

The Bonus Button:
    Daring.jpg

CaptainTapole on
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    YAY BUTTONS! :D:D I'm plotting my button for this year, and I've already decided on what my bonus button will be and just need to make the design. You will have to answer a Star Trek question to get my bonus button this year. :)

I have bought bulletin boards for my past two years of Buttoneering results, and simply pin the buttons to them and have them up in my office at home. It works out really well and looks very cool.

Speaking of bulletin boards, I will be part of BYOC again this year. Assuming BigRed is cool with it again, would you like me to set up the button collection and pinboard creation to give to Mike and Jerry again this year? I'm happy to do it, and it will be easier if I have more than a couple days notice to get the extra pinboard together before PAX this time. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I'm in... Design to follow

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Super stoked! I'm thinking I might be one of the handmade button people this year as I like to make things difficult for myself. I also have to think of a cute creature to be my emblem this year.
    Year One: Google Gopher
    Year Two: Questionland Racoon
    Year Three: ???

Super Stoked!

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    Yes !!! Buttons , a sure sign that PAX Prime is in full swing ... already have the concept for my button just need to tweak it some then get them made. Can't wait to see everyone's designs again this year.

• pinkGodzillapinkGodzilla Registered User regular
    I'm so excited! If all things work out, this will be my first year buttoneering! XD But I have no idea where to even start with creating a design. So many ideas...so many buttons!

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular

I recommend attaching a bunch of your own buttons to your lanyard or other piece of clothing. A cluster of buttons, all the same, is a pretty strong signifier. One of the problems with modern buttoneering is that a lot of the dealers were like "Wow, people like buttons! Let's make 'em as swag!" which is awesome, but can sometimes lead to us buttoneers startling non-buttoneers.

If you get enough made, feel free to give them out to anyone. My first time I got more than I needed, and by the end of the con I was handing 'em out like candy.

There's a big meetup after PAX (usually) which is honestly where I end up getting most of my buttons, since I spend much of the con proper cookie brigading instead.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    I am super excited about this. It'll be my first PAX and you better believe I'll be buttoneering.

ukiyo e wrote: »
    I coined the term "buttoneer" on a lark back in 2008. It's awesome that the name has stuck for so long.

I love your icon and signature!

PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

• madtygermadtyger Lover of Bricks Side 3Registered User regular
    First time going to PAX and first time I've heard of buttoneering, thinking about giving this a go. Any rules against advertising a website, podcast, etc on the button?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think I still ahve something like 50 buttons left over from 2010.....

is it faux pas to reuse them? lol

I'll possibly probably still be in on this, and I think ecco is planning on as well! Just need to figure out designs!

madtyger wrote: »
    First time going to PAX and first time I've heard of buttoneering, thinking about giving this a go. Any rules against advertising a website, podcast, etc on the button?
    I am not speaking as a whole, but personally, I like when folks use the buttons as adverts for their website, podcast, etc. It broadens my horizons of knowledge. And if happens to be a podcast, more stuff to listen to at work!

edited May 2012
    I think I still have something like 50 buttons left over from 2010.
    It's nice to hand out to the first-year Buttoneers to give them a taste of years past. That's how I got rid of all my previous years' buttons when I packaged them up last year.

Hey @jonxp ! Something like this could maybe be in the FAQ for the returning Buttoneers?

CaptainTapole on
  • BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    Yay! Buttons!!!! I missed out on this last year, this year I've already got my buttons ordered and stashed.

• draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    both me and my wife Sleepy Kitty will be Buttoneers again this year and I'm even trying to convince my friend who will be attending his first PAX to participate... now the challenge how to outdo last years button? I've got some ideas but need to ponder some more.

draklan on
  • SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    I definitely want to do buttons again this year, but I need to come up with a design yet. Maybe I'll should channel my disappointment with ME3 and hand out red, green, and blue buttons with the exact same design on all three.

Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
    Sageheart wrote: »
    I definitely want to do buttons again this year, but I need to come up with a design yet. Maybe I'll should channel my disappointment with ME3 and hand out red, green, and blue buttons with the exact same design on all three.

Hah, that'd be hilarious. Your Portal buttons from last year were fantastic as well!

aeNqQM9.jpg
    I think I still have something like 50 buttons left over from 2010.
    It's nice to hand out to the first-year Buttoneers to give them a taste of years past. That's how I got rid of all my previous years' buttons when I packaged them up last year.

Hey @jonxp ! Something like this could maybe be in the FAQ for the returning Buttoneers?
    I loved that. I was one of those that was handed so many buttons. My friend din't describe how buttoneering worked exactly. So I ordered 150 buttons with a Serenity/Firefly theme andjust traded them with anyone who'd give me buttons.
    I ended up with two and a half lanyards of buttons. 0.0
    I gotta figure out how to wear/incorporate a lanyard or two into my cosplay...

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    jonxp wrote: »
    It's a lot easier than you would think! Look for people with lots of buttons (especially if they're wearing lots of the same buttons, or buttons you recognize from here) and say "Buttons?". Generally, they'll respond with "Buttons!" and the trading may commence. Also, come by BYOC, Console/PC Freeplay, or any other area where lots of folks are and yell "BUTTONS!". People will make their way to you.

It may sound like I'm joking about this stuff, but past participants can tell you that I am definitely not.

That actually sounds really fun, can't wait!!

Year Three: The Bobs

Oh, the button possibilities are spinning...

• YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think I may return to this, after a few years of not.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular

I recommend attaching a bunch of your own buttons to your lanyard or other piece of clothing. A cluster of buttons, all the same, is a pretty strong signifier. One of the problems with modern buttoneering is that a lot of the dealers were like "Wow, people like buttons! Let's make 'em as swag!" which is awesome, but can sometimes lead to us buttoneers startling non-buttoneers.

If you get enough made, feel free to give them out to anyone. My first time I got more than I needed, and by the end of the con I was handing 'em out like candy.

There's a big meetup after PAX (usually) which is honestly where I end up getting most of my buttons, since I spend much of the con proper cookie brigading instead.

I'm now snickering at the thought of this random attendee with buttons on their shirt/bag/whatever getting this look on his/her face like 'OH GOD WHO IS THIS CRAZY PERSON AND WHY ARE THEY ACCOSTING ME WITH BUTTONS'

XD

• ZaedusZaedus Registered User new member
    I've just got my pax tickets and I want to get into buttoneering this year for sure. Unfortunately I live in Canada and purebutton's shipping to my frozen country is expensive.
    '
    Does anyone know of any good places here in Canada to order some buttons from?

Thanks in advance! I'm currently working on some designs.

This discussion has been closed.