As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop warranty issues

RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So i've got an active warranty on my laptop
but i feel like that won't cover "friend just stepped on the screen and broke it"
Is there some way to find out how much it would cost to recover the screen? I'm a little inebriated right now and am having some difficulty finding out what i should be searching for, or where to find information on my warranty.

RubberAC on

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Unless you purchased accidental damage protection the screen will not be covered.

As for how much it will cost to replace that really depends on what kind of screen it is, what kind of laptop it is, and if you can do the work yourself.

Do you have a make and model number of the laptop in question?

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I just replaced a powermac 17" display. Was $350 plus shipping for the display and a little extra to buy the right torx bits and plastic wedge tools.

Took a couple hours of working carefully and placing the different screws in ziplock bags. The mac display was wedged pretty tight into an aluminum frame and required dismantling most of the laptop. There were instructional videos for different models. Your model might be easier or harder depending on manufacture and instruction availability.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    screencountry.com you can search for your laptop model on there, and they tell you what compatible screens will go into your laptop. Most screens are glossy and not matte. They also link to how-to videos so you can also find out how to take apart your particular laptop. Prices vary wildly from like 89 bucks to 160ish for the screen alone. Then you have to do it yourself, or find a local computer repair shop to swap it for you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    RubberAC wrote:
    So i've got an active warranty on my laptop
    but i feel like that won't cover "friend just stepped on the screen and broke it"
    Is there some way to find out how much it would cost to recover the screen? I'm a little inebriated right now and am having some difficulty finding out what i should be searching for, or where to find information on my warranty.

Do you have renter's insurance? Did you order it with a credit card? How long ago?

You're looking at a $300-500 repair on the laptop.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    hey thanks a ton guys
    The extended warranty i have says one (1) lcd replacement within 2 years
    so maybe i can do some finagling
    i'll check out prices on this screen and how much it'll cost to replace!