As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Referees continue to not be employed by the [NFL]

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    That's awful

My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family

His mom was just talking to the press on SportsCenter. Damn near broke my heart.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    was Seau suffering from neural degeneration at all? i can't find anything confirming or even discussing it...

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah. This sounds weird, but hopefully the CTE guys get a hold of his brain.

I don't think its weird at all. I think, if it was self inflicted, that he shot himself in the chest rather than the head for that very reason.

Or at least I think there is some thought there.

Goose! on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Police confirmed it was suicide.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This whole thing is terrible and what bothers me a lot about it is that he's high enough profile for this to get big attention. I can't help feeling like if some mediocre guy who'd strung together an 8 year career as a special teams player with 7 different teams did the same thing people would feel bad but it wouldn't get much buzz.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    was Seau suffering from neural degeneration at all? i can't find anything confirming or even discussing it...

This likely wont be confirmed for some time. There's no dialog on a suicide note or on him seeing any doctors recently.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    A while ago he did drive his car off of that 30 foot drop and I remember distinctly at the time people openly wandering if that was an attempted suicide

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Kinda weird he shot himself in the chest rather than the head.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Actually it's not. Dave Duerson did the same thing for a specific reason

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chicago-bears-football-player-dave-duersons-suicide-renews/story?id=13003593#.T6GcLatSRBA

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Actually it's not. Dave Duerson did the same thing for a specific reason

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chicago-bears-football-player-dave-duersons-suicide-renews/story?id=13003593#.T6GcLatSRBA

Oh OK, have to confess I'm not an expert on suicides, nor would I want to be.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Neither am I but the nature of Duerson's suicide was a huge talking point back when it happened. He had been suffering from depression he suspected was a result of his football career and aimed to keep his brain in tact so it could be studied. Autopsy confirmed brain damage from multiple concussions.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I think saying its "not weird" isn't the right way to say it. I think it is weird, and points to maybe Seau wanting to go the same route as Duerson?

I don't know, and this was admittedly a pretty pedantic post.

Sad day for his family.

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Horrible news. He was loved in New England and we're all keeping his family in our thoughts.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    haXjll.jpg

in front of Seau's restaurant in Mission Valley, San Diego. more people were arriving with flowers and other things as i left the place.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is just the absolute worst news. I loved Junior Seau and if this turns out to be because of brain injury due to football (which is looking very, very likely) this could be massive. Junior Seau is a name that most people know. It's a lot bigger then when Duerson did it because people outside of the football world didn't have any idea who he was.

I literally teared up reading the story. I can't express how awful this is.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Seau was one of my favorites, and it probably hurt the most when he was traded. This is a sad, sad day.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    There was a radio caller this morning who pretty much expressed it best: If Tony Gwynn is Mr. Padre, then Junior Seau was Mr. Charger. It's devastating news for the city, and hearing the reactions of his family as the story broke was truly wrenching. More horrible still that players, even in extremis, are thinking of the ongoing CTE research and opting for less instant ways of taking their own life. Everything that's occurred with Seau over the past few years is going to be examined in a new light.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I remember watching Junior Seau dominate for the Chargers when I was a kid, and he was one of the main reasons I became a fan of the NFL. The reason I had dreams of playing on the defensive side of the ball, running my own audible like he would and catching the offense out of position. This has been a horrible day for me.
    Other data shows that only 4 percent of high schools have some form of drug testing programs in place for their football teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroid_use_in_American_football#NFL_steroid_policy

I don't know whether it was just all the concussions or perhaps maybe steroids or both, but the NFL, colleges, and high schools need to take more responsibility than they are. When I see people complaining or joking about Jerome Harrison's fines, I realize they probably think it's just so adorable what happened to Dave Duersons and now Junior Seau. And yeah, sure, Seau was on defense so he's the only person to blame, but check out Pro Bowl FB Vonta Leach's helmet after a couple games.

kpdcJ.jpg

You might as well give them bats to knock each other out with.

RIP Seau

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just saw his Mom on ESPN and that absolutely wrecked me. Marcellus Wiley too. I have so much respect for Seau. My only regret about the Giants beating the Patriots in the Super Bowl is it prevented Seau from winning a Super Bowl.

• Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Harrison is emblematic of a huge problem in the NFL: lack of tackling fundamentals. He flat-out runs into people, always leading with his helmet. It leads to greater injuries and it's not even the best way to bring someone down.

I hope that Harbaugh's strong emphasis on good tackling technique with the Niners, and the success they won with that, leads to more emphasis on proper fundamentals throughout the NFL. It would make the game at least a little safer.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Football is terrible in that regard. People bring up the 'no helmets in rugby' thing, which has its own logical failings, but one thing you can say as fact is that even if the head injury/concussion rates are similar, they are teaching players to tackle properly from the outset and that just isn't obvious in the NFL (at this time; perhaps in a few years we will see changes percolate upward).

But hey--at least Antonio Cromartie will never have any problems.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    You kind of have the same problem here as you do with boxing where the safety equipment is a part of the problem. I remember reading an article about how boxing gloves prevent people from being knocked out so they just keep getting punched in the head over and over again.

The helmets have gotten so big now that players feel like they can just ram them into each other with no repercussions, which is obviously not true. It's sad that it's going to take tragedies like this to get the message across.

• Options
    This is one of my favorite football videos ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrnDLXxVoFE

It's a perfect tackle- Sproles is wrapped up, levered back, and brought down. No hit to his helmet and he's no worse for wear. It's poetry in motion. I realize not every football player is Ray Lewis, but this is what they should all strive to emulate.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I wouldn't tell anyone to emulate ray lewis

• Options
    Emulate him on the field...just not off the field.

What I'm saying is, don't stab people.

• Options
    But can you imagine how fundamentally sound that stabbing must have been?

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    You guys should appreciate proper stabbing technique.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I'm sure that Antonio Cromartie doesn't have any problems with proper stabbing technique, either.

• Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    Incredibly sad to hear about Seau. I respected the hell out of him on the field and off. He was a dominant linebacker and set up the Seau foundation which does good work for children.

Sad day.

smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    If you want to be emotionally gutted, here's Marcellus Wiley on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7883270

I couldn't make it through, myself.

• Options
    Terrell Suggs tore his ACL playing basketball.

He's likely done for the season.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    ACL or Achilles? Schefter was saying Achilles

• Options
    Suggs is one of my favorite players, so this is a disappointment.

On the other hand it means the Texans have a better shot at finally beating the Ravens next season.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Achilles.

Todd McShay released his first 2013 mock draft.

He has a NT goes #1.

A NT is not going to be picked #1. Like ever.

• Options
    My bad, I meant achilles.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    RIP t-sizzle

• Options
    This picture of Cutler is just perfect

Cutlerfinger.jpg

• Options
    That's almost sig/av worthy its so perfect.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    if I was a Bears fan

that would be my sig/av

Xehalus on
This discussion has been closed.