As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now we are all sons-of-bitches. [Let's play Syndicate]

chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon.Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
Syndicate_Coverart.png

Welcome to the real world.

Sorry about the mess. You've just been recruited for a war you've never heard of. Feel free to panic. This is the last chance you'll get.

That part of your brain will be... removed. Or deactivated. Something like that. It will probably hurt.

Not as much as the rest of the surgery, of course. By the end you'll hardly qualify as human.

Again, I'm sorry. The least I can do is tell you why.

You see, some time ago, there was an... incident in the gulf of Mexico. The details, even if I knew them, would just bore you. It's enough to say that slowly, steadily, the Atlantic became unable to support life, followed by the Pacific, the Indian, the Arctic, and so on. The governments of the world made their plans. Something to protect the lucky few while the rest die in the streets. Dreadful, I'm sure you'd agree.

Space colonies. Bubble cities. Mad plans.

A few forward thinkers did better. Found a way to preserve the rest and convince them they weren't living in a dystopia that made soylent green look like Sesame Street. At birth, you were implanted with a chip running the UTOPIA system. Your meals aren't cheerfully prepared turkey. (It might have been human meat, if it was meat at all. Stopgap measures.) The police are not your friends. And the government has abandoned you. We are all that's left. Your corporate saviors

It was, for a low enough value of the word, paradise. Those of us who saw through it were... moved out of the way to ensure the happiness of the rest. Again, I won't bore you with the details of my condition at the moment.

Then some people had to get greedy. It always seems to happen. Now the world is torn apart between various parties. Blood in the streets, rank betrayal, and so on.

We recruited you, the refuse of the world, to end it all, and bring the world under one banner. Ours.

I can't promise you the side of the angels. In fact I doubt there is one these days.

Just as well. There is no stretch of the imagination where we would be it.

You will receive your stock options and other benefits at the conclusion of the operation.

Welcome aboard.

chiasaur11 on

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm guessing this is gonna be the old-school Syndicate? Because I've never seen that one.

EDIT: Crap, I hope you weren't planning on using the second post for anything and I just crapped all over that idea.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You horrible person!

Edit: And now he can't use the third post!

Astale on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this is gonna be the old-school Syndicate? Because I've never seen that one.

EDIT: Crap, I hope you weren't planning on using the second post for anything and I just crapped all over that idea.

Didn't even think of it. Usually the first post is enough with links, in my experience.

I mean, sometimes it isn't, but things happen.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Okay phew, that means I can post.

Hell of an OP, chia.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    I do love your LP's 8->

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    This oughta be fun. I've heard good things about Syndicate.

• Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    Mini-gun + Civillians = Jam

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I was so ready to be disappointed you were not going to be LPing the original, when lo and behold actually you are! Now I'm disappointed I can't be disappointed? Does that even work? I dunno, either way I am looking forward to this.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Can you name agents in the old Syndicate? I don't remember. Is this that kind of an LP?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Oooh, nice. Going to need some popcorn...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Oh! oh! I love this!
    Vast legions of gun toting receptionists and street punks! 60 of them, all in the same Egg-car! So cool.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    G0DG0D Registered User regular
    This is going to be awesome. Or mega-awesome. Depends on how much Persuadertron you're gonna be using.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Given your fantastic TFtD LP, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

(And if you get to name your drones, sign me up. My blender attachment detaches for easy cleanup!)

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Given your fantastic TFtD LP, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

(And if you get to name your drones, sign me up. My blender attachment detaches for easy cleanup!)

Your old identity? Gone with the rest of the refuse that was your humanity. That I do not regret. It was a tie to the old system and a desperate cry of individuality. Something you won't need. You're a cog in a glorious machine, not the sewer dwelling trash you were before. It is an honor to be uplifted, and I will not allow you to sully it with the past.

Perhaps I am too harsh.

Oh, your old lives were wasted, of course. But something should be offered in exchange. Our relationship has always been a mutualistic one, after all.

My current identity is unsuitable for our role in the world. Too many connections, too many ties. I know worrying about anyone else being hurt is just a last spasm of entirely inappropriate slave morality, but indulge a sentimental whim. It may be the last of its kind, and there will be unmarked passings enough for a lifetime where we're going.

Further, there is the matter of incorporation. Our assets may have been Eurocorp once, but we are not.

For example, some of you are still alive, a trait their board of directors would richly envy. If you're lucky, I may keep it that way.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You could always code name us.

I would vouch for Robo-Cock (Subject: Kadoken). Penchant for killing police all the time.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I volenteer (as much as you can after being hit by a car). Feel free to give me all the untested tech made of explodium.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Enh. If we're volunteering, and you're gonna narrate it that way, I'd totally e on the research staff. Otherwise whatever agent.
    Or if we aren't, then oh well. Still glued to my seat in anticipation. Also in glue.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Figure I'd make it known that I'd like to be a drone if that's happening.

• Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    You aught to call someone "Agent Bobkins" or something silly like that.

• Options
    6988499836_f8b839120f.jpg

Here we are. On the threshold of a new era.

You're lucky to see this. History in the making, a new Alexander striding the globe, dawn of a new empire.

But I grow dull. Or the dull grow tired of greatness.

Less conversation. More action. That is the saying, correct?

6988499856_8224edab95.jpg
    7134585855_588507f6d8.jpg
    7134585879_ae3064f147.jpg
    7134585881_3e24e7c2fd.jpg

In our *ahem* hostile takeover of Eurocorp assets for the good of... (We do need a corporate name. If I'd left any of you a spark of creativity I might ask for input. Then again, if you had a creative spark left you wouldn't do me much good, would you?) well, for our own good, we may have destabilized the entire European continent.

Accidents happen. All I can say on that front.

At any rate, there has been a stream of puppet governments, military coups, and similar. Currently, a general from one of the desperately dull countries in this cluster (I can't be bothered with the names, they change so quickly) has taken control.

We made him an offer. He attempted to refuse.

You will show him why that was so. very. unwise.

At this point, if I left you a little more initiative than I initially intended, you may ask about equipment. Supplies. Planning.

You have a pistol. It should be sufficient, if you wish to earn your keep. Eliminate all resistance, capture any supplies, and try to avoid dying. You cost valuable resources to replace, and there are better things to spend the money on.

Supplies. Weapons research (Lasers, miniguns, gauss technology. So much lost to us. So much we need to win back.) Augmentation to force your little meat bodies into a semblance of utility.

We'll begin soon. Have fun.

Your Friend

(I really do need a alias for these affairs. A shame everything that comes to mind is so pretentious. Gods and lords of hell and all that mythological sturm und drang. Poor form.)

• Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    If I'm not mistaken, you can drop weapons in this game and persuadotronned citizens (or maybe just police/mercenary types?) will pick up dropped weapons and use them? 10 year old me never put 2 and 2 together and went into a mission fully loaded with miniguns and a persuadotron, try that when it becomes possible. Alternatively, gauss guns.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Man, I used to love this game. I was a bigger fan of Syndicate Wars, personally, but that may have been because I played Syndicate Wars first. It may also have been because the Church of the New Epoch is fucking awesome.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    syndicate

wait isnt that the dubstep game

oh yes it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3TrjEuXuNw

bwahahahaha

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love that song so much, or really the entire soundtrack to that game

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    That song is pretty much the best thing about the new, other Syndicate game.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Might I recommend persuding the colonel one last time. He could be useful for research purposes.

As for names, what about Novacorp?
    Or given our Star+Laurals design and your fondness of Alexander the Great, OzCorp, from Ozymedius.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    You could call yourself Omni-WANG

• Options
    6988499936_5507d3fbfb.jpg

Right. You may notice your salaries are somewhat reduced. That was based entirely on performance, and not at all on the increased budget for automatic weapon research.

Why am I bothering lying to you? I should know better. It's a waste of energy better spent on lying to those who aren't mindless pawns to my every whim. Or on reviewing your last borderline success.

I emphasize borderline. Let's... review.

I could provide names, but those would allow you to claim some distinction. You'll be referred to as... Agents 1-4. Some day I may bother remembering more details.

I doubt it.

For the duration of this little morality play, the transcripts will simply refer to me as... hmm.

Ah. Sunday. It should do for now.

Roll tape.

6988499788_7826284887.jpg

Sunday: Well. Here we are. Murder, mayhem, the Grand Guignol. Which would, I suppose, make me Mourguet.

2: WILL YOU EVER SHUT UP?

Sunday: Ah, the plight of genius. Then again, you weren't made for literary reference. You were made to kill.

1: Remade. Reborn, in a sense.

2: Less. Talk. Show me the enemy and they will die.

7134585941_a4e6381d4d.jpg

Sunday: They're in front of you. If you feel any further decrease to your limited intellect, that would be a byproduct of remote adrenal overrides. No point in resisting.

2: Wouldn't want to. This is where it gets fun.

6988499772_5d5009f3d7.jpg

*gunshot*

Sunday: Ah, beautiful. Your first murder.

2: Stupid voice. Killed plenty before now.

Sunday: Manslaughter. Murder is of the mind and the will. You always lacked the first before now. Admittedly, I aided in the second, but you did enough. Good work. There will be more use for you later.

6988499980_6ee0dbdbd3.jpg

2: Had a pistol. Two pistols now.

Sunday: If you attempt anything out of a John Woo film, I will remotely terminate your lifesigns right now.

2: Who?

Sunday: Ah, culture. Or lack thereof. Remain in position, 2. 4 will relieve you. Adrenal levels decreasing. Capacity for independent motion reduced.

4: Acknowledged. Will comply.

7134585997_eef3026599.jpg

*gunshot*

Sunday: Or you could continue on your murderous rampage. Considering the situation, both alternatives have merit. Of course, at this point subtlety is more or less out of the question. 1? 3? We are conducting a clean sweep. Nothing leaves here alive, with the possible exception of corporate assets. Acknowledged?

7134585715_0601b0f3f4.jpg

*gunshot*

1:Acknowledged, sir. Your will is not to be questioned, but obeyed. As our...

Sunday: Charming, but I suppose it can wait until the target is terminated? Your newest friend dropped a shotgun. The Egyptians considered property rights to extend to the hereafter. I take a more forward thinking position. Relieve the corpse of his weapon. Then cleanse the area.

1:Acknowledged, sir. Your wisdom is light and life.

7134586081_e4a952520e.jpg

*gunshot*

1: Primary target terminated. The blood of the unbeliever flows feeds the life of the world.

*gunshot*

1: All have fallen. Praise...

Sunday: Neural activity terminated. Combat squad prepared for extraction. Nothing but the silence of the dead and damned.

End transcript.

6988500178_2a2d4767b0.jpg

A success, after a fashion. We now control western Europe with that show of force.

However, your performance has been...

We have things to discuss before I trust you with automatic weapons.

• Options
    It took us two days to kill six meatbags? What the fuck were we doing that whole time?

As for the name of the company, ReGenesis.

• Options
    You could do what the Men in Black comics did. Call me "Kay", call Nocren "Enn", Bursar "Bee". I'm not pressing on it, just a fun suggestion.

• Options
    Atrocious.

33% accuracy?

Also, those two civies could be potential R&D candidates.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ah, progress.

Europe is ours. The rest of the world will follow in time, but I feel a few days can be spent resting on our laurels.

Or rather, my laurels. The credit here goes to the mastermind working through every possibility, rather than the...

What do you do, again? It must be something, considering your salaries, but it seems to be something I could train an ambitious chimpanzee to cover just as well. AT least you didn't

Let's review the latest work, shall we?

7134585671_d454b1f5aa.jpg

7134586211_8d43c2554f.jpg

6988500204_e0a8b74ece.jpg

6988500214_63acd563ca.jpg

Acquisition of some scientists. A trifling matter, except for the tools required.

6988499680_f00cb3f062.jpg

The "persuadertron". (A regrettable title, and reason to rejoice that the designers involved are all very much deceased). A Eurocorp prototype acquired with our hostile takeover, it overrides CHIP based programming (including the equipment powering our own field agents) with something a little less... subtle.

To put it bluntly, it forms a synthetic hive mind from interlocked neural chipsets capable of (assuming sufficient processing power) completely subverting the most powerful defenses.

Hypothetically, a strong enough will could resist certain commands, and insufficient processing power would leave us unable to capture hardened enemy agents, but the most renewable of resources will provide us with the tools to overcome the second hurdle, and as for the first?

Well, I have never known our opposition to hire based on firm convictions and moral fortitude. They follow the same paradigm as we do. Disposable idiots with advanced technology and burning chrome substituting for training and skill. Disposable pawns.

The detective was right all those years ago. This is not a game for knights.

7134585647_1cb374eea1.jpg

It received proper field testing on our last outing.

7134586281_efe7ff33ef.jpg

On contact, our agent was able to quickly and peacefully subvert a number of civilians. Better still, the CHIP based protocol gave them limited access to the agent's combat abilities without registering as active threats.

6988500310_37dd1247a8.jpg

The police did no better, and supplied their own weapons, giving us an effective force multiplier for emergency situations. We have extended the method to outside dealings with legal authorities, such as they are, and have met with nearly universal success.

6988499642_abf30d6ac3.jpg

Eventually, the entire town our targets were hiding in fell into our clutches. I can just imagine the fear in the eyes of the few hostile agents sent to resist us.

7134586519_9dd4b1e4b5.jpg

Their deaths were swift and precise.

6988499622_1034a16d8e.jpg

A few subverted civilians died in the crossfire, and none of our enemies were in any shape to be repurposed, a small price in total.

6988500516_5aa8085749.jpg

We recovered their equipment and subverted their charges.

7134586587_edef12f352.jpg

Really, I don't think we can be blamed for the second half. If our enemies in hiding didn't want their precious scientists turned into our personal winged monkeys, they could have given them optical flash bangs, cyanide pills, or similar. Shameful.

7134586685_8ebceb4bfa.jpg

The long term aftermath of our little escapade was encouraging. Even when disconnected the local population felt increased loyalty to our corporation and a desire to spread our praises.

Hold on to your options. I have a feeling our IPO will be... interesting.

• Options
    Damn. Damn. Damn.

They've found out about us.

Oh, right. You're all monosyllabic imbeciles whose little meat brains don't understand who we're dealing with. Eventually, you will be upgraded to sapience, but for now I have to explain things simply, like with the rest of the rabble.

Here is our situation:

7155009954_e541cb62af.jpg

You see the blue? That is us.

Everything else is not us. It is, for lack of a better word, them. Other corporations with their own unethical plans that contrast with ours.

And they know we're going to destroy them in the end. So they are trying to destroy us. They managed a toehold in Eastern Europe recently.

I've managed to acquire information on some of our most powerful opponents. The long form would simply bore you, so I'll keep it brief.

synd_rival_logo_tao.png

The Tao. A merger of various Asian crime syndicates with more legitimate interests, they are one of the most pressing distractions at present. Cutting edge technology, smart-linked neural systems, solid revenue streams.

The obsolete cyberpunk fears of the 1980s made flesh. Pleasant.

synd_rival_logo_castrilos.png

Castrilos. Perhaps your simulated memories make mention of a irritating but borderline harmless trend in the youth of various nationalities wearing the image of communist rebels as a statement of rebellion.

Imagine large, amoral corporations following the same ideals. It does not bode well.

This particular megacorp happened to discover selling warmed over marxism as a thin layer over our standard modus operandi sells better than honesty. Or they honestly believe their policies of oppression and murder benefit "the people", and our methods fail to do so.

Either way, their hypocracy is entertaining, but not enough to justify their continued existence.

synd_rival_logo_sphinx.png
    synd_rival_logo_jihad.png

Sphinx Inc and Executive Jihad.

Remember what I said about thin layers of belief over conventional aggression? Replace Marxism with religious fanaticism, and remove 80% of market share, and you have these imbeciles.

Their beliefs make them reluctant to surrender and vicious when cornered, but they also leave them with less... ethical flexibility. Press the advantage whenever you can.

synd_rival_logo_tasmania.png

Ah, the Tasmanian Liberation Consortium. I almost can forgive them for existing. At least they're honest.

A rebellion against syndicate control that turned into just another corporation, they simply desire alcohol and mindless violence. Disgusting and base, of course, but they can be planned for, a limited disruptive agent. No hypocrits, no grand ambition.

We will slaughter them to the last, of course, the cost of business, but it will be an amicable slaughter.

And finally,

synd_rival_logo_iia.png

The IIA. One of two products of the privatization of the CIA, (the other being a charmingly old-fashioned group that knows its place), the IIA is one of the most vicious corporations in existence.

Every vile thing they did in protection of one lost ideal or other is still on the table, without whatever restraints they once had.

I'm mildly impressed.

One or more of these groups has deployed agents in our territory. Remove them. If possible, bring them back alive. There are things we need to learn.

• Options
    Sir?

The chart isn't color coded. I'm having difficulty following.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    Sir?

The chart isn't color coded. I'm having difficulty following.

So am I, unfortunately. Most syndicates are more fortunate than we are when it comes to concealing operations. The perils of a distinctive style, I suppose.

Add to that the loss of most Eurocorp inteligence (an oxymoron if there ever was one), and we are less informed than the average when it comes to hostile forces.

As far as my sources can determine, white is TLC, orange is the I.I.A., brick red is Sphinx, deep blue is the Castrilos, the Tao is yellow, and salmon is the color of the Executive Jihad.

Which means the last party listed is the source of the imbeciles intruding in our territory.

They think they sent fanatics, unbreakable soldiers.

We will see.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Shoot more manz!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I suggest leveraging your assets and recalibrating your options

• Options
    Is there any way to subvert them to turn their petty squabbles against each other? Not out of fear, but after being weakened by each other, we swoop in and turn their remains into some respectable form to benefit us.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh man. Can I volunteer for this or anything?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Oh man. Can I volunteer for this or anything?

Everyone's a volunteer. They just don't know it yet.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png