Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[GW2]Making a new thread for the BWE. See you guys on Aspenwood soon!

17810121388

Posts

  • ShenShen Go placidly amid the noise and haste Registered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »
    My take on this game after BWE:

    -Nice detailed PVE areas and the story quest was entertaining enough. I didn't play much PVE because if I do keep playing I don't want to spoil a lot for myself, but I saw enough of the design in the starter areas. I enjoyed the story and things well enough but I didn't feel like dynamic events were the second coming or anything and saw just as many static yellow heart icons as I would yellow exclamation points in some other MMO.

    -Ricochet and PBAOE style attacks are better than melee in chaotic fights. There are always multiple targets and pets you need to clear off the board without making any special effort to do so and these also counter most circle strafing type actions. I absolutely cleaned house once I landed on a ranger spirit spam build, axe and warhorn and was able to take out people 4 on one sometimes and 2-3 vs. me regularly in fair fights. Notable exceptions were a dual dagger wielding ele with a great PBAOE build and circle strafe skills to end up directly behind me where I couldn't initiate attacks fast enough who took out my pets and then me pretty hard and whatever that 18k damage in 5 seconds bleed necro build is....most of those and any other type of Necros died horribly to me but a few were able to edge me out. In several instances I just sat below the clock tower platform or around a corner and just ricocheted everyone to death off the toe of a flesh wurm or turret.

    -That same bleed necro spec about one shotted my charr thief with max toughness + toughness armor every time he popped...very embarrassing. Conditions seem to be the way to go as apparently the counter stat does nothing against it and the cleaning solutions are all on too long of timers, even the 10 second passives + 30 second full clean + pet roar cleans (which are buggy as hell, issue it and instead of roaring next to you the pet runs to a random target...wtf)

    -I felt like I was missing something pretty basic on the thief as they don't seem to have any initial stealth mode? Just chained up the utilities and traits as much as I could to achieve max stealth uptime while keeping nearly full damage lines...really clunky stealth and I didn't care for it after playing Assassin and Mara in SWTOR which have great stealth modes. Thief was the one I tried very last with not much time left so eh..but none I fought impressed me either and to a man they died like flies against me.

    -Nor could I find anything really worth doing on an engie..noticed a lot complaining about their turret damage in GW2 guru and they felt a lot like WH engie as far as damage potential IMO..only fought one good one who kited me past his turret setup in clock tower three times when I hardly knew what I was doing on ranger...still killed him though.

    -I heartily missed the tight physics in SWTOR as the attacks aren't keyed precisely to the animations in GW2 like they are there. There's a cleaner & tighter feeling to the SWTOR graphics also...something about the way they do fonts..target outlines..etc in GW2 just looks unpolished. I enjoyed the lighter CC in GW2 though. It's a bit too light even whereas SWTOR has too much.

    -I felt like I was in Warhammer all over again in wuvwuv...not a bad thing for me...brought back a lot of good memories...but I fear they are going to have the exact same problems breaking up the zerg. The zerg was indeed present in wuvwuv. However I really enjoyed the feeling of having a place to level up in world PVP though which is the only thing missing from SWTOR to make it my game of choice TBH.

    -If I keep playing MMOs at all and don't just say F em and solely play D3, SWTOR would have a better chance of keeping me by implementing World PVP with levelling and armor grind and cross server. I'm on a light pop server and really got sick of fighting the same five people every time so rerolling is a downer. I care fuckall about e-sports and pretending that copying a metabuild off some site/what your guild buddy told you to build and pug stomping is anything like a skill which is what 95% of 'skilled pvpers' are out there doing and the other five percent are devoting 95% of their life to a video game which I'm not interested in either. That 5% will also be from a Korean net cafe where that is the norm too and most Americans are in for a nasty shock just as they were in GW1.

    I just want a casual, immersive world PVP/PVE experience for the most part. Warzones are not nearly as good but ok without 'pro guild teams' and leet dudes talking crap all the time.

    Dagger offhand gives you a 3 second stealth for 5 initiative, with traits that provide 2 initiative every time you stealth and faster initiative regen in stealth.

    NDBwPJF.jpg
    Origin: shenlongxz | 3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | D3: Ladi#2485 (EU)
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter Registered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »
    My take on this game after BWE:

    -Nice detailed PVE areas and the story quest was entertaining enough. I didn't play much PVE because if I do keep playing I don't want to spoil a lot for myself, but I saw enough of the design in the starter areas. I enjoyed the story and things well enough but I didn't feel like dynamic events were the second coming or anything and saw just as many static yellow heart icons as I would yellow exclamation points in some other MMO.

    Those hearts are NOT I repeat NOT dynamic events. Anet has tried to tell people this but they just don't get heard ; ;

    archer2.png
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So did anybody else notice that things like shadowsteps and what not are not accounting for z axis properly? I should've feedbacked it on the bug forum, but didn't do so quickly enough. When I used my steal, shadowstep signet, and even the get over here utility on my thief on somebody who was up on a platform, it would just put me at the bottom of the thing they were on, which is of course less than what I desired.

    Same for ranger greatsword leap...I couldn't even no target it and get airborne off the top of clock tower. I saw an ele do it with ball lightning though...maybe it has a better vertical...not sure...

  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I'm tired of the term "zerg". It's just a way for people to justify getting all pissy because the other side has more people than them.

    The entire idea behind Wuwuv is to get a massive number of people fighting each other...yet, people bitch and moan when that happens.

    Guys....Massively. Multiplayer. Get it?

    Eh, yea and no. From what I was seeing the Zerg wasn't just about more people on one side than another, it was about 98% of one side being in the same space fighting the same enemies, forming a massive mob. There's plenty of non-zerg tactics that could be going on regardless of who has the biggest side. Breaking off and taking supply lines, fortifying castles, raiding multiple spots at one time. The zerg tactic is a real thing and it's when the vast majority of one side moves as a single mob of people.

  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

    FWnykYl.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The Thief is not about stealthing beforehand and running around invisible until you backstab some dude to death.
    If you want that kind of class, Guild Wars 2 doesn't and won't have it.
    Stealth is about giving you some breathing time during a fight, letting your initiative recharge and then jumping back in.
    AND I LOVE IT.

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I'm tired of the term "zerg". It's just a way for people to justify getting all pissy because the other side has more people than them.

    The entire idea behind Wuwuv is to get a massive number of people fighting each other...yet, people bitch and moan when that happens.

    Guys....Massively. Multiplayer. Get it?

    Eh, yea and no. From what I was seeing the Zerg wasn't just about more people on one side than another, it was about 98% of one side being in the same space fighting the same enemies, forming a massive mob. There's plenty of non-zerg tactics that could be going on regardless of who has the biggest side. Breaking off and taking supply lines, fortifying castles, raiding multiple spots at one time. The zerg tactic is a real thing and it's when the vast majority of one side moves as a single mob of people.

    I think 'Zerg' has two meanings nowadays -

    One is to simply overwhelm via straight numbers - to beat someone without any special tactics or planning, but simply by having way more doods.
    The other is a general behavior in that support large numbers of players - where players ball up and move/fight as a big blob rather than adopting better strategies that require smaller groups.

    The first isn't possible in these sort of PvP arenas where participant numbers are capped/balanced.

    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Ford Nation's Finest Crack DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Caedere wrote: »
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

    Definitely a good summary of the highs and lows of beta, though I suspect the whole thing would have sounded a bit different if the writer had played charr. ;)
    Klyka wrote: »
    The Thief is not about stealthing beforehand and running around invisible until you backstab some dude to death.
    If you want that kind of class, Guild Wars 2 doesn't and won't have it.
    Stealth is about giving you some breathing time during a fight, letting your initiative recharge and then jumping back in.
    AND I LOVE IT.

    Me too! This is the kind of finesse character I love playing. I'm avoiding playing thief in the BWEs since I tried it out during my press event and I want it to be fresh when the game comes out... but I absolutely can't wait.

    SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    3DS Friend Code: 3823-8693-5976
    Guild Wars 2: Julia Cappo Final Fantasy XIV: G'rhant Tia, Hyperion Server
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Otaking wrote: »
    My take on this game after BWE:

    -Nice detailed PVE areas and the story quest was entertaining enough. I didn't play much PVE because if I do keep playing I don't want to spoil a lot for myself, but I saw enough of the design in the starter areas. I enjoyed the story and things well enough but I didn't feel like dynamic events were the second coming or anything and saw just as many static yellow heart icons as I would yellow exclamation points in some other MMO.

    Those hearts are NOT I repeat NOT dynamic events. Anet has tried to tell people this but they just don't get heard ; ;

    Didn't say they were, that's why my post was comparing them to static exclamation points...the dynamics were few and far between. PQs failed horribly in WAR and my big fear was these were just going to be 'hidden PQs'...

    The heart did in fact lead you to some dynamic events however. The spider boss appearing from the orchard. The worm boss appearing from the farmer's field. I never really had an NPC run up to me but I didn't play all that much PVE as I said.

  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to mention a couple things that really impressed me.

    1) Coming from other games, and loving playing melee, it's always annoying that there's no good reason to play melee other than desire. Uptime is harder to maintain, and you get hit by more aoes, but because the games are about raiding and trinity pve, all dps classes have to be tuned around each other standing there running a rotation and doing similar damage. In GW2, the answer is play melee if you want to have a harder time avoiding damage, but be rewarded by wrecking your enemy's souls. My thief could easily kill most people(especially light armored) if I could stay on them, and of course if they could keep me off them they were rewarded by killing me without me getting close enough.

    2) This is the first MMO I've ever played where my pre-playing skill tool shenanigans were just blown to pieces by actually playing the game. I went into my thief sure I was going to build full power/crit chance/maximum damage, and ended the weekend running structured pvp with a super hybrid build with at least 10 points in every tree so I could utilize minor traits like gaining swiftness when you dodge roll, getting endurance refunded when you dodge, etc.

    These things, combined with the way stealth allows you to skirmish and dance in and out of fights without being balanced around stupid out of combat only perma stealth makes the Thief playstyle extremely fun.

    I actually made my build around the idea that MAX DPS NUMBERSLOLOL wasn't going to works as well when actual movement was involved and my mesmer build was 100% the same once I got to really try it out. It was a bloody amazing.

    archer2.png
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I ended up completing several hearts by doing events that occurred nearby, so they do also blend fairly well.
    Otaking wrote: »
    Didn't say they were, that's why my post was comparing them to static exclamation points...the dynamics were few and far between. PQs failed horribly in WAR and my big fear was these were just going to be 'hidden PQs'...

    The heart did in fact lead you to some dynamic events however. The spider boss appearing from the orchard. The worm boss appearing from the farmer's field. I never really had an NPC run up to me but I didn't play all that much PVE as I said.

    How far up did you get level wise? After 10 or so I seemed to be hitting Dynamic Events nearly constantly. There was an outpost in western Queensland that seemed to be in a constant back and forth with Centaurs.

    steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I'm tired of the term "zerg". It's just a way for people to justify getting all pissy because the other side has more people than them.

    The entire idea behind Wuwuv is to get a massive number of people fighting each other...yet, people bitch and moan when that happens.

    Guys....Massively. Multiplayer. Get it?

    Eh, yea and no. From what I was seeing the Zerg wasn't just about more people on one side than another, it was about 98% of one side being in the same space fighting the same enemies, forming a massive mob. There's plenty of non-zerg tactics that could be going on regardless of who has the biggest side. Breaking off and taking supply lines, fortifying castles, raiding multiple spots at one time. The zerg tactic is a real thing and it's when the vast majority of one side moves as a single mob of people.

    The funny thing is zerging doesn't work, I didn't post the fail screenshots but when we took a castle at like 3 am, our entire group died several times by just running in and attacking the door. We had to have siege equipment up and guardians using their cooldowns, and people focusing on the people on the wall and letting the trebuchet do its work

    XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

    Definitely a good summary of the highs and lows of beta, though I suspect the whole thing would have sounded a bit different if the writer had played charr. ;)

    :lol: I was thinking the exact same thing about the charr.


    On a totally different subject, for those of you who've read Dragonlance, do the sylvari sound eerily similar to the kender to you all as well? Because they sure do to me.

    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari


    This part in particular stood out to me:
    Despite the kick start of knowledge from the dream they still seem naive as there are some matters which seem beyond their comprehension. Emotions and tact, in particular, are difficult for them to grasp, so often a sylvari will state out loud something which would normally be politely avoided by other races. Death as well is still not fully understood, but it is viewed as something to be embraced and wholly understood - this creates an acceptance and fascination of death which the other races can find disturbing.

    FWnykYl.jpg
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Dagger offhand gives you a 3 second stealth for 5 initiative, with traits that provide 2 initiative every time you stealth and faster initiative regen in stealth.

    Yes I found all that stuff as I'm a ridiculous build whore and I love to engineer killer builds but as I said, 3-5 second to 18k damage necro bleed build pretty well instagibbing me every time I got on a target. It's why I had a max toughness since that's also the stealth line. I happened to be wearing tough/vit armor of the dolyak on top of that and was just hornswaggled at how fast bleeds could drop me even with health regen in and out of stealth and max toughness. I didn't spend much time on thief to be fair.

  • ShenShen Go placidly amid the noise and haste Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

    The only particularly worthy complaint I think that that article raised was the disconnect with wandering between renown heart areas. The rest is just general kvetching at MMO-type progression and how the game gives you lots of different options.

    NDBwPJF.jpg
    Origin: shenlongxz | 3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | D3: Ladi#2485 (EU)
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Also, if anyone isn't F5ing on the Dev Tracker constantly, you really, really need to. This dev team is very vocal with the players, which, while not being a surprise given ArenaNet's track record of doing so, is still extremely refreshing (see what I did there? ;D).

    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/devtracker

    FWnykYl.jpg
  • BadwrongBadwrong Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

    I saw more praise than anything in that article.
    He wasn't treating the game like the second coming or something... but he was barely complaining. I actually have way more negatives that I personally found in the game than that article mentioned.... of course I still found a billion positive things to outweigh the negative I found.

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/dr_pepper_addiction
  • ArchArch HELLO YES THIS IS BUG Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Caedere wrote: »


    On a totally different subject, for those of you who've read Dragonlance, do the sylvari sound eerily similar to the kender to you all as well? Because they sure do to me.

    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari


    This part in particular stood out to me:
    Despite the kick start of knowledge from the dream they still seem naive as there are some matters which seem beyond their comprehension. Emotions and tact, in particular, are difficult for them to grasp, so often a sylvari will state out loud something which would normally be politely avoided by other races. Death as well is still not fully understood, but it is viewed as something to be embraced and wholly understood - this creates an acceptance and fascination of death which the other races can find disturbing.

    Well now, I can only roll Sylvari

    @Thomamelas

    (I hope you get this joke)

    Arch on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shen wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    Tough on the game, but fair, in all honesty. I don't exactly agree with some of the complaints here, but that's personal preference. I love Eurogamer to pieces, and I definitely respect their opinion.

    The only particularly worthy complaint I think that that article raised was the disconnect with wandering between renown heart areas. The rest is just general kvetching at MMO-type progression and how the game gives you lots of different options.

    It is general kvetching, but... well... the experience there is the sort of way I feel a lot of players will approach the game. ArenaNet has a great opportunity here to help present this options in a light that will let players better understand that, hey, this isn't a typical MMO—don't approach it as such.

    Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    I ended up completing several hearts by doing events that occurred nearby, so they do also blend fairly well.
    Otaking wrote: »
    Didn't say they were, that's why my post was comparing them to static exclamation points...the dynamics were few and far between. PQs failed horribly in WAR and my big fear was these were just going to be 'hidden PQs'...

    The heart did in fact lead you to some dynamic events however. The spider boss appearing from the orchard. The worm boss appearing from the farmer's field. I never really had an NPC run up to me but I didn't play all that much PVE as I said.

    How far up did you get level wise? After 10 or so I seemed to be hitting Dynamic Events nearly constantly. There was an outpost in western Queensland that seemed to be in a constant back and forth with Centaurs.

    Oh only like level seven, so that's good to hear. I figured...you know like in most MMOs...the very early levels would be jam packed with all the new mechanics and they'd get more sparse as you level. I didn't want to spoiler too much stuff and be bored once if I were to be playing it later in retail also.
    SwashbucklerXX wrote:

    Definitely a good summary of the highs and lows of beta, though I suspect the whole thing would have sounded a bit different if the writer had played charr. ;)

    Charr are the most awesome fantasy race since forever and their starting area & story looked Hell times Infinity better. I wish I had PVE'd that instead of human. Oh well one less thing spoilered.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The zerg tactic is a real thing and it's when the vast majority of one side moves as a single mob of people.

    We call that an army.


    Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    Since there's demand for it, I guess I'll just post it right here then.

    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=44501863034457012015

    Do note that there's no dodge macro because there's no default key for dodge, and I make it a habit to make every macro assigned to a default key to make the config distribution friendly. Also the exe location points to a file and folder on my desktop, so you'll have to change that. I'd have left it blank, but it gets pissy when you do that.

    @LordOfMeep Thank you for posting that. I will tweak it to my liking a little bit but you saved me a ton of time by posting this!

    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
    b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    YAY DOUBLE POST.

    DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
    b_350_20_323957_202743_F19A15_111111.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Article reminds me: Will DX11 be supported by launch?

    "Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to mention a couple things that really impressed me.

    1) Coming from other games, and loving playing melee, it's always annoying that there's no good reason to play melee other than desire. Uptime is harder to maintain, and you get hit by more aoes, but because the games are about raiding and trinity pve, all dps classes have to be tuned around each other standing there running a rotation and doing similar damage. In GW2, the answer is play melee if you want to have a harder time avoiding damage, but be rewarded by wrecking your enemy's souls. My thief could easily kill most people(especially light armored) if I could stay on them, and of course if they could keep me off them they were rewarded by killing me without me getting close enough.

    2) This is the first MMO I've ever played where my pre-playing skill tool shenanigans were just blown to pieces by actually playing the game. I went into my thief sure I was going to build full power/crit chance/maximum damage, and ended the weekend running structured pvp with a super hybrid build with at least 10 points in every tree so I could utilize minor traits like gaining swiftness when you dodge roll, getting endurance refunded when you dodge, etc.

    These things, combined with the way stealth allows you to skirmish and dance in and out of fights without being balanced around stupid out of combat only perma stealth makes the Thief playstyle extremely fun.

    I actually made my build around the idea that MAX DPS NUMBERSLOLOL wasn't going to works as well when actual movement was involved and my mesmer build was 100% the same once I got to really try it out. It was a bloody amazing.

    I made the max possible crit chance + power build in PvP and my elite skill would kill the entire enemy team if they got hit, while my "unload" on my dual pistols would almost kill every single class I went up against. It's reeeeeally unbalanced and I only got downed if my elite skill was on cooldown and multiple enemies were attacking me.

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Anyone found the jumping challenges?

    I found one in Queensdale:
    Spoiler:
    And getting to the end. The chest contained a crappy focus, worst than the one I was using lol.
    Spoiler:

    Challenges weren't really difficult, just a bit harder to pull off due to the fact that your character feels a bit floaty.

    Where in Queensdale? I found one but I was fighting Spiders, not Oozes.

    Took me a bunch of tries to kill those fucking spiders too since they were 15 and I was only 12.

  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »
    I ended up completing several hearts by doing events that occurred nearby, so they do also blend fairly well.
    Otaking wrote: »
    Didn't say they were, that's why my post was comparing them to static exclamation points...the dynamics were few and far between. PQs failed horribly in WAR and my big fear was these were just going to be 'hidden PQs'...

    The heart did in fact lead you to some dynamic events however. The spider boss appearing from the orchard. The worm boss appearing from the farmer's field. I never really had an NPC run up to me but I didn't play all that much PVE as I said.

    How far up did you get level wise? After 10 or so I seemed to be hitting Dynamic Events nearly constantly. There was an outpost in western Queensland that seemed to be in a constant back and forth with Centaurs.

    Oh only like level seven, so that's good to hear. I figured...you know like in most MMOs...the very early levels would be jam packed with all the new mechanics and they'd get more sparse as you level. I didn't want to spoiler too much stuff and be bored once if I were to be playing it later in retail also.
    SwashbucklerXX wrote:

    Definitely a good summary of the highs and lows of beta, though I suspect the whole thing would have sounded a bit different if the writer had played charr. ;)

    Charr are the most awesome fantasy race since forever and their starting area & story looked Hell times Infinity better. I wish I had PVE'd that instead of human. Oh well one less thing spoilered.

    Charr are like what happens when the kzin and the Canim interbreed, with a dash of steampunk thrown in for good measure. So awesome. It's very, very clear that ArenaNet was inspired by Larry Niven, Jim Butcher, and Brandon Sanderson (among other authors) and I'm really glad they were.

    I was talking to one of my friends last night about how GW2 is more like science fiction wrapped in fantasy trappings than it is pure fantasy. Whereas traditional fantasy is more about exploring myths and legends and such, science fiction tends to be a bit more about "what ifs" and speculation. Thanks to GW2 mixing things up from GW1, Tyria has become one of the most engaging and interesting settings I've ever encountered. For example, with the charr: They took a typical fantasy monster race archetype, and spun it on its head by examining their motivations and the consequences of their interactions with humans and other races. 250 years after the Searing, you now have a race that excels in industry and engineering, since it's the only way they can keep their edge against magic, gods, and other forces.

    It's fucking cool.

    FWnykYl.jpg
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »
    Charr are the most awesome fantasy race since forever and their starting area & story looked Hell times Infinity better. I wish I had PVE'd that instead of human. Oh well one less thing spoilered.

    I did the Human starting area simply because I figured it'd be the last one I'd do in retail anyways. I had 30 HoM points worth of Human in GW1, time to view it from the other races! (Plus I generally don't play human characters in MMOs/RPGs anyways)

    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I wanted to make a Sylvari Thief but after hearing Nolan North as my character who looked pretty close to myself....I think I'll go Human as my main D:

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Regarding dev feedback - and why this is the best dev team ever:

    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/story/Cliche-Cheesy-Script-Boring-Story/page/1#post57697
    Pulse Reaction: “I don’t think ANet’s writing team is the problem – the heroes (and here I mean the actual A.I. heroes) of GW1 had great characterization. Master of Whispers being one of my favorites. Somewhere along the line they decided to call every player the “HERO”, but we’re not in 2002 anymore, no need for that. And mature fantasy becoming more and more popular just makes GW2 storytelling look even more off.”

    Bobby Stein [ArenaNet Lead Writer]: "Again, this was a design decision to make the player a hero, so while you start out small in your story, you’re always driven to do the right thing (and everyone tells you about it). Totally understandable why that wouldn’t appeal to some people—it’s predictable.
    I think the lesson we’re learning here is that people, including the dev team, are ready for something a little less sanitized. We can’t make radical changes to the story structure at this point, but we can certainly take this into account for future content."

    Incredible.

    FWnykYl.jpg
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    I wanted to make a Sylvari Thief but after hearing Nolan North as my character who looked pretty close to myself....I think I'll go Human as my main D:

    Did...Did he speak in a german accent? :P

    jAhPU.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »
    My take on this game after BWE:

    -Nice detailed PVE areas and the story quest was entertaining enough. I didn't play much PVE because if I do keep playing I don't want to spoil a lot for myself, but I saw enough of the design in the starter areas. I enjoyed the story and things well enough but I didn't feel like dynamic events were the second coming or anything and saw just as many static yellow heart icons as I would yellow exclamation points in some other MMO.

    Renown Hearts are different from Dynamic Events. DEs show up in Orange on the tracker on the top right, Hearts in Yellow.

    Hearts are a static thing that are always there to give you something to do in an area when no DEs are running and as a way to get you to explore around the zone.

    -I felt like I was missing something pretty basic on the thief as they don't seem to have any initial stealth mode? Just chained up the utilities and traits as much as I could to achieve max stealth uptime while keeping nearly full damage lines...really clunky stealth and I didn't care for it after playing Assassin and Mara in SWTOR which have great stealth modes. Thief was the one I tried very last with not much time left so eh..but none I fought impressed me either and to a man they died like flies against me.

    There is no stealth-based class in the game. In GW2, stealth is a temporary buff you can get occasionally. It's confined mostly to Thiefs and Mesmers. But yeah, this isn't like WoW or TOR. You can't run around in stealth all the time or the like.
    -I heartily missed the tight physics in SWTOR as the attacks aren't keyed precisely to the animations in GW2 like they are there. There's a cleaner & tighter feeling to the SWTOR graphics also...something about the way they do fonts..target outlines..etc in GW2 just looks unpolished. I enjoyed the lighter CC in GW2 though. It's a bit too light even whereas SWTOR has too much.

    I found physics and animations lined up really well in GW2. Unless there was bad lag of course. SWTOR I had way more problems with that sort of thing. (like animations taking a second to go, but the damage hitting instantly)

    What I found I needed to get used to though was that many things in GW2 have a wind-up. The game doesn't give you a cast-time for anything, but it's there, even for melee moves.


    The graphical issue you mention wrt outlines may be related to the painterly style they are going for btw.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I just read the first post...I imagine the other eleventy-billion pages devolves into a bunch of flaming back and forth, but I can completely agree with the poster.

    Having NEVER even touched Guild Wars, I found the start of the personal story extremely boring (I spent most of the BWE doing Norn stuff) and really didn't feel compelled to dig into it. Granted, I never did more than a few quests, but that's how much I didn't care. Which was sad, because the opening cinematic which set the tone was awesome for the Norn, but then the opening sequence was a total let-down.

    Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    tehkensai wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I wanted to make a Sylvari Thief but after hearing Nolan North as my character who looked pretty close to myself....I think I'll go Human as my main D:

    Did...Did he speak in a german accent? :P

    Nah, he uses his natural voice, basically just sounds like Drake for the most part.

    Someone should totally make a male human thief traited for pistols that joins the Durmand Priory and try to make him look as much like Nathan Drake as possible.

    SpaceGarSig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Yeah the personal story was super boring, super easy and generally didn't make me want to follow it.
    Well, Countess Anise was hot as hell and her voice melts butter, but apart from that, nope!

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I just read the first post...I imagine the other eleventy-billion pages devolves into a bunch of flaming back and forth, but I can completely agree with the poster.

    Having NEVER even touched Guild Wars, I found the start of the personal story extremely boring (I spent most of the BWE doing Norn stuff) and really didn't feel compelled to dig into it. Granted, I never did more than a few quests, but that's how much I didn't care. Which was sad, because the opening cinematic which set the tone was awesome for the Norn, but then the opening sequence was a total let-down.

    From my experience it's not gonna blow your socks off, but it's no better or worse then any other MMO storylines.

    The one thing is though that what race you choose and the character creation options you pick have a large but not at all predictable impact on the kind of story you experience.

    It could be the Norn story, or the particular Norn story you chose, isn't your thing.

  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is one of the best-looking games I've ever played. All of these images are unedited except for being resized, and the 6700 x 4300 high-res versions are available upon request.
    Spoiler:

    Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I just read the first post...I imagine the other eleventy-billion pages devolves into a bunch of flaming back and forth, but I can completely agree with the poster.

    Having NEVER even touched Guild Wars, I found the start of the personal story extremely boring (I spent most of the BWE doing Norn stuff) and really didn't feel compelled to dig into it. Granted, I never did more than a few quests, but that's how much I didn't care. Which was sad, because the opening cinematic which set the tone was awesome for the Norn, but then the opening sequence was a total let-down.

    From my experience it's not gonna blow your socks off, but it's no better or worse then any other MMO storylines.

    The one thing is though that what race you choose and the character creation options you pick have a large but not at all predictable impact on the kind of story you experience.

    It could be the Norn story, or the particular Norn story you chose, isn't your thing.

    Scroll down and read the dev reply, which I quoted a little part of.

    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Anyone found the jumping challenges?

    I found one in Queensdale:
    Spoiler:
    And getting to the end. The chest contained a crappy focus, worst than the one I was using lol.
    Spoiler:

    Challenges weren't really difficult, just a bit harder to pull off due to the fact that your character feels a bit floaty.

    Where in Queensdale? I found one but I was fighting Spiders, not Oozes.

    Took me a bunch of tries to kill those fucking spiders too since they were 15 and I was only 12.

    Its actually in the same cave as the spiders but just kinda hidden off the the side. The layout of the cave makes you think you have to run to the left at first, but if you run right and then leap across a gap onto a ledge, you'll run up into the true jumping puzzle area. I had to wander around for a while before I figured this out and I think all but like 2 people I entered the cave with missed it completely. I love that they have these things sprinkled around the world.

    PSN: Scotty85
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Yeah the personal story was super boring, super easy and generally didn't make me want to follow it.
    Well, Countess Anise was hot as hell and her voice melts butter, but apart from that, nope!

    Yeah I don't really understand the difficulty some people had with personal story, the only time I ever had any difficulty was on the last boss they let you fight there, and that was because I was underleveled and wanted to finish as much of it as I could before the final event of the BWE started. Maybe my bear was a good enough distraction or maybe greatsword is just overpowered.

    Speaking of which, I didn't really encounter the AI problem people had with their pets not attacking, the only time they felt genuinely useless was when fighting any sort of group boss, like the Flame Legion shaman DE, because those bosses are all a walking instant death radius and most pets try to tank and spank everything. I mean you might get a devourer to work in those situations but there's still the issue of them being smart enough to stay out of the instant death radius of the boss.

    SpaceGarSig.png
This discussion has been closed.