As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] The 6th Annual West Coast Train Trip

• Options
    WanderlustingWanderlusting Farmer Paso Robles, CaRegistered User new member
    Thanks for the helpful info guys :)

gidgets wrote: »
    A few additional comments. There's plenty of overhead space, especially if you're coming from LA. There's a 2 bag limit, I believe. The benches in Obs will fit a bigger guy, but the table will poke you in the belly a little. You'll fit but it's not extraordinarily comfortable. I heard my buddy complain only once.

Also, at the train station, look for woot/threadless/gamer t-shirts, pax train shirts, Nintendo DS's/Vita's, and groups of people together that look like they are awesome. If you're there after the train is boarding, then the Observation Deck for sure!! :) Make sure to bring board games and other awesome stuff!! :)
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Hi,

This sounds fun! Going to my first PAX this year and now seriously considering taking this train up from LA.

A couple of Q's if anyone can help me:

-Do you leave your carry ons at your seat when in the Observation level or is there room in the observation level for them?
    All your bags are "carry ons", really, as the just store them on the train either above your seats or in some cargo areas. We brought our "carry ons" with us to the Obs car, though, which there was room for if your carry on is just like, a backpack or something. No need to bring your clothes up front.

-How comfortable are the tables for guys wider around the middle?
    They're standard bench tables like you'd get at a food place. If I remember correctly, there were some wider peeps on the train that seemed fine? Otherwise there's these like tableless-seats that look out the windows towards the front of the car.

-How do we find the PAX group once on board?
    Go to the Observation Deck! Though, if you're getting on at LA, you'll probably see the starting group waiting for the train and can meet up with them then.

• Options
    Chee-Kay EchsChee-Kay Echs Registered User regular
    Crogoth wrote: »
    what are the limitations on baggage? I have a computer case that i want to bring along with me, as well as my ontrain junk and actual luggage. my question i guess is: is there a weight/dimension limit?

Hello.

The basic rules are the following for baggage:

You are allowed to check in 3 bags for free. They must weigh less than 50 pounds apiece, have no electronics in them (Talkin' about computers types- Not shavers, irons, etc) and have a size limitation of 3'x3'x3'. You can also check in 3 more items for $10 a piece.

You can carry on two items. Weight limitations are the same, size limitations are 28" x 22" x 14". Now medical equipment, purses and backpacks do not count for the carry on.

There are outlets on the train, so a strip outlet and fan should be OK.

Hope this helps...

• Options
    Hello.

OK, after burning the midnight oil, I have a new version for your consideration. I redid the portal to be a little cleaner and stylized. The destinations I was originally going to circle the destinations around the portal, but I realized I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by having them the background for the inside of it instead. (I also looped them several times so most will appear.) I also redid the PAX design to a cleaner design and moved the title to show more destinations.

Jrpdo.jpg

So what do you think? Better? Worse? I like turtles?

• Options
    CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    what are the limitations on baggage? I have a computer case that i want to bring along with me, as well as my ontrain junk and actual luggage. my question i guess is: is there a weight/dimension limit?

Hello.

The basic rules are the following for baggage:

You are allowed to check in 3 bags for free. They must weigh less than 50 pounds apiece, have no electronics in them (Talkin' about computers types- Not shavers, irons, etc) and have a size limitation of 3'x3'x3'. You can also check in 3 more items for $10 a piece.

You can carry on two items. Weight limitations are the same, size limitations are 28" x 22" x 14". Now medical equipment, purses and backpacks do not count for the carry on.

There are outlets on the train, so a strip outlet and fan should be OK.

Hope this helps...

yeah, that's exactly what i was looking for, thanks

• Options
    So, how many of us PAXTrain attendees are also going to the TWDT as soon as we land? because it'd be pretty darn fun(ny) if we all walked off the train in wizard outfits...

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So, how many of us PAXTrain attendees are also going to the TWDT as soon as we land? because it'd be pretty darn fun(ny) if we all walked off the train in wizard outfits...
    Would be appropriate since the folks who are participating in the Tournament.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

My friends and I did this last year. Full wizard robes and all. Not many people got it.. :(

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    We won't judge. This train right here is a non-wizard robe judging zone.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options

My friends and I did this last year. Full wizard robes and all. Not many people got it.. :(

need more people, count me in if you're doing it again

• Options
    DhutchDhutch Registered User regular
    Signing up for the TWDT is done through their own forum post (which isn't up yet for this year) and can fill up about as fast as PAX itself. I wish you luck in getting in! Personally though, last year I headed straight to my hotel first, then changed for TWDT before heading out. Probably only cost me an extra 10 minutes doing it that way. RAVENCLAW!

Ravenclaw, Dumbledore's Army! CaCAW! 2011 TWDT Winners!
  • Options
    rockensteinrockenstein Registered User new member
    Just got my ticket to join you all! Heard about the awesomeness of the PaXTrain from a friend who went a couple years back, look forward to it greatly!

• Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular

need more people, count me in if you're doing it again

We're plane-ing it this year. Train was awesome, but I can't justify the vacation time addition. I'm just stalking the thread to help out. Also..

RAVENCLAW! Caw CAW!

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    Well, its been a few years but I am finally making my return to the WCTT. Tickets not yet purchased but that is soon to be sorted out. I'm being fancy this year and getting one of those room car deals and splitting it with ClickPickTony and his GF (not sure if she is on the PAX boards or not).

Since I'll be getting on the train, I will have all the network gear from years past so we should have somewhat reliable internet and even (drumroll please) possible 4G service. Also i have a couple more routers this time so we'll see if we can extend service from the obs car down to the arcade room to make XBL work.

Now thanks to Verizon's lovely new data caps, the phone I plan on tethering wont exactly have unlimited bandwidth for pillaging. So I plan on caching a bunch of games, patches, movies, and other misc files on an external hard drive for local use. If there are any requests for items to include, PM me and I'll do my best to include it.

carlinsig.png
  • Options
    Hello.

Well, my working computer died so I have been out of the loop for a bit. Got my laptop up to snuff and going now. I had one final version of my design to offer. If the design has already been chosen, no biggie- still showing it off...

;p

jzEBY.jpg

I was originally going to put binary around the portal, but the design was getting too busy for my tastes...

• Options
    MordecaiSixerMordecaiSixer Registered User regular
    First time poster and PAX Train rider here! Sounds like a good time, going to be joining y'all at Portland.

• Options
    ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So jealous. I wish this was happening for those of us traveling from the east coast. Oh well, have fun for me and I'll see you there!

• Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    Signed up. Now I just have to find a place to stay :rotate:

League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    clickpictonyclickpictony Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey, I grabbed tickets with Geek In The Ink and and RCars and we have two of the bunk bed rooms reserved. We actually have an extra bed left since there are only three of us. I don't know if this is the place to throw that out and see if someone wants to jump in on the room with us or if there is another place. So...

• Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    The turnaround is pretty quick from the place I use, but we're getting close enough that I'd like to lock in the T-Shirt design, and get pre-orders started soon, so I have an idea what final numbers to order.

So far we have two designs, and have received very little feedback. Do we need a poll for this, or are people going to be upset if I make a unilateral decision? Do you even care? Speak up, or no complaining!

The contenders:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23576467#Comment_23576467
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23720425#Comment_23720425

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Weenog42 wrote: »
    The turnaround is pretty quick from the place I use, but we're getting close enough that I'd like to lock in the T-Shirt design, and get pre-orders started soon, so I have an idea what final numbers to order.

So far we have two designs, and have received very little feedback. Do we need a poll for this, or are people going to be upset if I make a unilateral decision? Do you even care? Speak up, or no complaining!

The contenders:

I am only on the return trip, but the first design is much better. Very professional looking.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular

The contenders:

I prefer the first, though I feel like the city names would look better printed in the light banner area next to the year, with the fields continuing to the bottom of the shield shape. It would provide better continuity both in the black text of the year continuing out in a band, and with the neat fields continuing unbroken.

Really neat concept, which can be particularly hard with designs from year to year.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular

The contenders:

I also prefer the first design, and with this decree I now have the liberty to complain.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    T-SHIRT PRE-ORDERS OPEN!

THE LAST DAY TO ORDER IS Mon, 8/13 !

DESIGN:
    pax-WCTT2012-02-1.jpg

PRICES:

Men's Sizes:
    S-XL, $8
    XXL $9
    XXXL $10

PRE-ORDER INFO
    To be guaranteed a shirt, you must sign up!
    To pre-order a shirt, add yourself to this google doc:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am6HbqjF0u93dEktWE9LRkd2a2s2THB6S04yUURENkE
    Anyone can edit, so please be careful not to accidentally delete or overwrite someone else's entry.

PREPAY INFO
    You can send payment via paypal to Weenog42@yahoo.com. INCLUDE YOUR HANDLE NAME or I won't know who's paying me!
    You can always pay by cash on the train, but prepaying helps distribution, and makes it easier on my wallet when I place the order.

FAQs
    Q: Is there a ladies cut tee?
    A: Not this year. There simply isn't enough demand.
    Q: Can I get a shirt shipped to me?
    A: Not this year. Make arrangements for someone on the train to meet you at PAX.
    Q: Can I get a shirt if my plans change and I'm not on the train this year?
    A: If you've ever been on the train, you can get a shirt. Make arrangements with someone on the train.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    DhutchDhutch Registered User regular
    I swear to god I'm not a neo-luddite, but paypal and I are sworn enemies. Any other options, Weenog?

Ravenclaw, Dumbledore's Army! CaCAW! 2011 TWDT Winners!
  • Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    Signed up, payment sent

• Options
    Hello.

Payment sent from Chikex@hotmail.com.

• Options
    Kaollasu78Kaollasu78 Portland, OrRegistered User regular
    I'm coming from PDX on the cascades on the 30th and Starlight on the way back (Monday). Can I still get a shirt? :D

919eoupaoo36.png
  • Options
    Kaollasu78 wrote: »
    I'm coming from PDX on the cascades on the 30th and Starlight on the way back (Monday). Can I still get a shirt? :D

Yup. I won't be on the return trip though, so you'll need to designate someone on the trip up as your courier.

• Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    FAQs
    Darn. Mens sizes fit me like burlap sacks, and I don't have time to take in the seams this year. The standard plight of a girl gamer. :) I'll have to think about it some more.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    Yamara wrote: »
    FAQs
    Darn. Mens sizes fit me like burlap sacks, and I don't have time to take in the seams this year. The standard plight of a girl gamer. :) I'll have to think about it some more.

I understand why it's difficult from a business standpoint, but I wish that shirt companies could throw in ladies' sizes a little easier in large bulk orders that are mostly unisex/male. Every time I've made a bulk order with the shirts I've ordered for other events, we always end up not being able to accommodate our ladies with ladies sizes.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yamara wrote: »
    FAQs

I understand why it's difficult from a business standpoint, but I wish that shirt companies could throw in ladies' sizes a little easier in large bulk orders that are mostly unisex/male. Every time I've made a bulk order with the shirts I've ordered for other events, we always end up not being able to accommodate our ladies with ladies sizes.

The irony I've found as a Gamer Girl of Stature, is that when you do actually find women's sizes and cuts, they're all baby cat size. Typically an XL women's tshirt is a size 4-6. WTF?!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Just changed my reservation to be in the starlight on both routes. Was actually cheaper this way!

919eoupaoo36.png
  • Options
    Dhutch wrote: »
    I swear to god I'm not a neo-luddite, but paypal and I are sworn enemies. Any other options, Weenog?

I'm using Paypal because it's what is accessible for most people. If you know of another service, propose something.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So Portland pizza info time. Since I am lazy and no one really complained about the pizza itself we will be going with Roventes again.

This is a break even event. The amount of pizza ordered is based on the amount of money donated. I can't really afford to charge extra pizza and assume I can make it back later on and I am uncomfortable with making even a small profit off this. Do not wait for the pizza to get delivered to ask how much to get a slice or 2 people doing that will probably add up and cost the community some pizza.

You do not have to donate to get pizza but if everyone that plans on getting some pitches in 5 bucks then the pizza will probably last longer then the conductor announcing we have crossed the Washington state border.

As far as special snowflake toppings go the big factors for deciding that are if you donated enough to cover the extra cash and if I think the leftover slices will just sit there uneaten cause you have horrible taste in pizza toppings. As long as you cover those 2 things your request will probably be taken care of and I will make sure you get first dibs on it.

The pizza is community pizza. If you and your friends want a private pizza for yourself the website is up at the top of this post and they will deliver it with our pizza.

Last year we just mobbed around the pizza and caused a huge traffic problem which pissed off Amtrak. We will have to come up in small groups to get the pizza or some people will have to volunteer to act as waiters.

You can send donations over Paypal or just give me cash on the train. If you do donate over Paypal and don't really integrate with the community just let me know who you are on the forums so you don't get turned away from the pizza cause you might be mistaken for a non-WCTT person trying to mooch some.

Edit: Email removed cause I am leaving in about 4 hours just bring cash.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DakeglerDakegler Registered User regular
    Payment sent from dakegler1982@hotmail.com

• Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    @Weenog42 Need to confirm if my friend who will be joining us this year wants a shirt - otherwise I would have already PayPal'd you by now.

steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Payment sent from kaollasu78

Kaollasu78 on
    919eoupaoo36.png
  • Options
    Thanks to all who have prepaid - it makes my life much easier. Edited the post to clarify that you can always pay with cash on the train (but you still need to sign up on the google doc if you want there to be a shirt waiting for you!)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    Guys, you might want to PM the OP about shirt orders instead of posting your paypal emails in the thread...

Also, @Weenog42, you might want to considering using a google form instead of an open spreadsheet for these in the future. Completely eliminates the possibility of someone overwriting someone else's entry.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Hello.

Well, since I won't be on the clock, I won't be wearing my Red Cap. But no worries- I have something ELSE to take its place. What is it? I will reveal it on the Facebook page in around 12 hours...

;p

This discussion has been closed.