As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2012
    Woot!

Mah lady friend knows how to write resumes. So I can e-mail her all the data of work experience and she can group it together all pretty like.

Huzzah!

_J_ on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    keeping it between apple vs. everyone else in the mobile sphere kept the fighting down, but microsoft vs. apple. vs everyone else is liable to be more chaotic

(nokia is, I daresay, really microsoft's proxy here)

aRkpc.gif
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    hey guys, should I make a thread letting people here know that 3-day PAX badges sold out in like four hours already? I know a lot of people in D&D do care, and wouldn't want to miss at least the 1-day badges, but might not think they needed to pounce that fast and monitor the PAX site and forums that closely?
    I wonder how much of that is scalpers?

I bought a Friday and Saturday pass, even though I'm fairly sure I have a friend with a spare three-day. Probably end up reselling those.

According to the twitter, average sale size was only 1.7 (max of 5).

So some, probably, but not as much as we'd like to think. It really just sells out that fast now.

I'll be surprised if Saturday badges make it to the weekend.

Scalpers regularly employ large groups of people to get the tickets because of per-person maximums. What would be more telling is how many of those sales were 5 ticket sales? Bet you 90% of those sales are to scalpers.

I suspect scalpers, while a problem, are a tiny percentage of overall ticket sales.

PAX is very, very, very popular and becomes more popular each year. It is also very cheap, so the requirements for entry are extremely low and attendance is easy to manage (aside from buying a ticket, of course).

There is a good solution to this, of course, but "raising prices" doesn't really have that "FUCK THE MAN!" feeling.
    One of the things that PAX is supposed to be about is being accessible to the masses.

I think the smarter thing would be to sell only one-day passes, honestly, and have a few repeat panels and things in order to discourage people from going all three days, and allow more people to attend.

To be honest, if you can't afford $100-ish for a 3 day pass I doubt you have enough disposable income to make a trip to Seattle in support of a tech-focused and expensive hobby. I realize plenty of people squeeze pennies to make it happen, but for most people attending PAX the cost of the ticket is fairly small compared to the cost of trip.

Right now, the tickets are sold based on:

-Who clicks first

and

-Who pays $65

Raising the price would just adjust that equilibrium so "clicking first" is less important as the "pay X" amount becomes the more deciding factor.

I realize that raising prices is an extremely unpopular solution, but is "give tickets to people who are best at camping the website" a better solution?

I have no personal stake in this, because I like cheap tickets, I can afford more expensive tickets, and UNLIKE A CERTAIN FORUMER I KNOW I was responsible and purchased my 3 day pass as soon as it was available to prevent missing out.

nitpick: saying "not many people will be squeezed out" is inconsistent with "raising the price will reduce demand"
    Also, switching to one-day-only passes is a de facto price increase.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Rent wrote: »

I kinda feel bad for them. They don't really look or sound like they're enjoying it. If I was with a lady and she was acting the way those raccoons were, I'd feel so emasculated.

• PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Ok, PAX tickets bought. Just going on Saturday this year, but as usual I'll be about for hangouts pretty much the entirety of PAX week.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    A three day pass to PAx costs <70?

The fuck??

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    hey guys, should I make a thread letting people here know that 3-day PAX badges sold out in like four hours already? I know a lot of people in D&D do care, and wouldn't want to miss at least the 1-day badges, but might not think they needed to pounce that fast and monitor the PAX site and forums that closely?

I bought a Friday and Saturday pass, even though I'm fairly sure I have a friend with a spare three-day. Probably end up reselling those.

So some, probably, but not as much as we'd like to think. It really just sells out that fast now.

Scalpers regularly employ large groups of people to get the tickets because of per-person maximums. What would be more telling is how many of those sales were 5 ticket sales? Bet you 90% of those sales are to scalpers.

I suspect scalpers, while a problem, are a tiny percentage of overall ticket sales.

PAX is very, very, very popular and becomes more popular each year. It is also very cheap, so the requirements for entry are extremely low and attendance is easy to manage (aside from buying a ticket, of course).

There is a good solution to this, of course, but "raising prices" doesn't really have that "FUCK THE MAN!" feeling.
    One of the things that PAX is supposed to be about is being accessible to the masses.

I think the smarter thing would be to sell only one-day passes, honestly, and have a few repeat panels and things in order to discourage people from going all three days, and allow more people to attend.

To be honest, if you can't afford $100-ish for a 3 day pass I doubt you have enough disposable income to make a trip to Seattle in support of a tech-focused and expensive hobby. I realize plenty of people squeeze pennies to make it happen, but for most people attending PAX the cost of the ticket is fairly small compared to the cost of trip.

-Who clicks first

and

-Who pays $65

Raising the price would just adjust that equilibrium so "clicking first" is less important as the "pay X" amount becomes the more deciding factor.

I realize that raising prices is an extremely unpopular solution, but is "give tickets to people who are best at camping the website" a better solution?

I have no personal stake in this, because I like cheap tickets, I can afford more expensive tickets, and UNLIKE A CERTAIN FORUMER I KNOW I was responsible and purchased my 3 day pass as soon as it was available to prevent missing out.

nitpick: saying "not many people will be squeezed out" is inconsistent with "raising the price will reduce demand"

Its true, just worded incredibly badly, depending on what "squeezed out" means :p

Ideally you'd be cutting out people who go to PAX with a 3 day pass because its such a bargain, not because they really really really love PAX.

I know there's crossover, but there's obviously a group of consumers who will go to PAX for $65 but not $75, $105, or $150. Part of that group will be people who cannot afford the increase, and part will be people who can afford it but make a value decision that PAX is not worth more than $65.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    and all of these patent cases will likely be argued in front of judges who don't know how to sign up for gmail.

I wonder how many of these suits involve filing for ex parte reexamination with the patent office in order to open up another front on the validity of the patents?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

Don't let Ricky Gervais see that.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Fuck, they should make it an even hundie and give $30 a pass to. Child's play

• PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

The fuck??

Well, each day is $35, so....

Also, the three day passes are sold out, so not like it matters.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

The fuck??

yeah it's like preposterously cheap. it's a tenth (or less) of the whole trip for most people i know.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

-Who clicks first

and

-Who pays $65

Raising the prices wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe also staggering sales over a period of time. Sell the three day tickets over a period of time. Maybe also limit them to 3 tickets now instead of 5.

I wish there was a bigger place to put it since that would help a lot as well. But I understand there really isn't. Maybe also have a returning ticket sale? You get an idea number after you check in at pax to let you buy 1 ticket before everyone else? It would be a way for those who have come before to get a ticket.

Really though this year was probably not going to happen for me anyway. Grad school+money+internship+thesis research makes it hard for me to spent 800 dollars on a 3-4 day weekend.

u7stthr17eud.png
    _J_ wrote: »
    Woot!

Mah lady friend knows how to write resumes. So I can e-mail her all the data of work experience and she can group it together all pretty like.

Huzzah!

My career services office is a godsend, and I get everything, and I mean everything, vetted by them before I send it out. I'm also really nice to them and bring them cookies because they're so helpful.

DoctorArch wrote: »
    Woot!

Huzzah!

My career services office is a godsend, and I get everything, and I mean everything, vetted by them before I send it out. I'm also really nice to them and bring them cookies because they're so helpful.

That is an idea.

Roasting a turkey tenderloin for dinner.

Never done turkey tenderloin before, dunno what it's like.

Woot!

Huzzah!

Mine is as well. I need to write and take a some cover letters in.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Passerbye wrote: »

My guess is "delicious".

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I am done with Eve for now. Diablo 3 is out soon and I will be heavily into that.

Organichu wrote: »

The fuck??

yeah it's like preposterously cheap. it's a tenth (or less) of the whole trip for most people i know.

That's like a mid range bottle of wine at a restaurant

Yeah I think I am done with Eve for now. Diablo 3 is out soon and I will be heavily into that.

Good decision!

I had turkey chili assembled from what I could find in the pantry. It turned out more Italian style than the TexMex I was going for, but it was still delicious.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

The fuck??

That's like a mid range bottle of wine at a restaurant

debasement, diocletian, etc. etc.

aRkpc.gif
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Raising the prices wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe also staggering sales over a period of time. Sell the three day tickets over a period of time. Maybe also limit them to 3 tickets now instead of 5.

I wish there was a bigger place to put it since that would help a lot as well. But I understand there really isn't. Maybe also have a returning ticket sale? You get an idea number after you check in at pax to let you buy 1 ticket before everyone else? It would be a way for those who have come before to get a ticket.

Really though this year was probably not going to happen for me anyway. Grad school+money+internship+thesis research makes it hard for me to spent 800 dollars on a 3-4 day weekend.
    I do not understand why you would want to give an advantage to people who have gone before over people who have never gone before...?

I had turkey chili assembled from what I could find in the pantry. It turned out more Italian style than the TexMex I was going for, but it was still delicious.

Turkey seems like it would be too bland for chili.

But then, I tend to make pretty spicy chili.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Vector cereal with a scoop of protein powder. Yum.

Woot!

Huzzah!

Mine is as well. I need to write and take a some cover letters in.

Too many of my peers think of career services as a job placement agency, and gripe about them constantly.

Finding a job is hard work. Get used to it.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Fuck, they should make it an even hundie and give $30 a pass to. Child's play

That's actually a really great idea. That way when scalpers buy the tickets they are directly helping a charity.

Psn:wazukki
    @Deebaser How was the wedding/honeymoon? How is married life thus far?

But it makes meat dinners so much more healthy. Turkey meatloaf with crusty feta cheese on top is so delicious.

Everything about hiring is awful

I do not understand why you would want to give an advantage to people who have gone before over people who have never gone before...?

Because I am being selfish. Not a real idea.

u7stthr17eud.png

But it makes meat dinners so much more healthy. Turkey meatloaf with crusty feta cheese on top is so delicious.

I usually just reduce the amount of meat. Unless it's the main thing without a lot of big spices, I don't much go for turkey, just too bland. Excepting when I can get my hands on some good dark meat, that can be good.

I usually just reduce the amount of meat. Unless it's the main thing without a lot of big spices, I don't much go for turkey, just too bland. Excepting when I can get my hands on some good dark meat, that can be good.

There are dishes involving meat where meat isn't the main thing? :shock:

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Holy shit.

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Turkey is pretty great when you're eating any food where the main purpose of the meat is being a sauce delivery system

Like, hell, I'm pretty sure chili even qualifies

@Deebaser How was the wedding/honeymoon? How is married life thus far?
    @thanatos
    Good good good. We did Atlantis today. I swear to God that place was designed as a compromise between an adult resort and disneyworld.

The water park was nice, but dumb expensive. It cost 4.5 PAX three day passes between the two of us. There were no lines though, so that was pretty sweet.

Staying in the shade tomorrow. The sun has not been kind to my pale white ass.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    WINDOW
    MORE PROCESSING
    SOMETHING
    Sorry. I'm acting out because I don't want to continue studying for biochem but really I should be doing this till 8 am

I had turkey for dinner. Turkey is amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.