As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Not that silly geese can't write awesome stuff. Harlan Ellison can be cantankerous, but he gave us City on the Edge of Forever, among many other things.

Mark Millar writes some heinous, awful shit (Wanted, Kick-Ass)

but he also wrote Red Son

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    this is relevant because I am watching a ton of TNG lately!

does Deep Space Nine or Voyager run concurrently with TNG? Am I ruining anything by watching the episodes out of order?

Don't watch Voyager.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i finally have an idea what it must be like to have an addiction.

had a few sips of my first Red Eye and once it cooled I took a proper drink from the cup. The sensation was magical to say the very least. I don't know where this has been all of my life but it sure as hell had better stay in it.

when i took my first percocet for my broken ankle, i immediately thought "oh my god drug addiction makes sense". it was a terrifying moment as i immediately wondered "how the fuck am i gonna stop taking these"

It was very odd. I didn't realize it until after the fact but I did what folks do when they take a drag of a cigarette for the first time after a long break. Head back. Eyes closed. Everything in its right place.

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    this is relevant because I am watching a ton of TNG lately!

does Deep Space Nine or Voyager run concurrently with TNG? Am I ruining anything by watching the episodes out of order?

Don't watch Voyager.

Forgot to mention this.

Don't watch Voyager, yeah

nothing good comes of it

Voyager and Enterprise are turds

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    well, my bosses handled that really well and there has been no gnashing of teeth. They're probably happy to have my salary offloaded and lessening the chances of having to lay off someone any time soon.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Generations takes place right before Voyager Starts.
    First Contact shortly before DS9's "In Purgatory's Shadow"
    Insurrection at some unspecified time during the DS9's seventh season.
    Nemesis two years after Voyager returns.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    You bitches should look into this Endless Space 4X game. It looks really cool.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    well, my bosses handled that really well and there has been no gnashing of teeth. They're probably happy to have my salary offloaded and lessening the chances of having to lay off someone any time soon.

what're you going to be doing now?

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I can read those first two lines just fine, but the next two are just gibberish.

also don't watch the TNG movies

they are also terrible

a lot of people give First Contact a pass but it's a shitty movie too

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    nice skippy

• TaminTamin Registered User regular

Yeah, I didn't realize this, and the unexplained uniform change for In Purgatory's Shadow was an odd moment.

I watched a good chunk of the first season of Voyager and I was like man, fuck this shit. Deep let down after my love for TNG. TNG certainly had some flaws but there were some golden episodes too.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Pony, your concerns about Whedon and the Avengers are misplaced. There characterization is consistant with the previous films. Cap didn't suddenly become a smart ass teenager for instance. Black Widow doesn't pull off any waif-fu execpt was she would in the comic. And she isn't horribly abused to make some weird feminist point.

None of his normal sins are in the film.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    You bitches should look into this Endless Space 4X game. It looks really cool.

Pre-order it and tell us more, Sarks!

Personally, not into 4X all that much, it's a cool concept i am just too dumb to appreciate. :|

edited May 2012
    well. spilled that coffee I fell in love with all over my iPad and bluetooth keyboard

starting to find it really difficult to believe that the universe isn't aware of us in some way.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    What does 4X mean?

Thomamelas wrote: »
    Pony, your concerns about Whedon and the Avengers are misplaced. There characterization is consistant with the previous films. Cap didn't suddenly become a smart ass teenager for instance. Black Widow doesn't pull off any waif-fu execpt was she would in the comic. And she isn't horribly abused to make some weird feminist point.

this is heartening to hear, thom

i'll probably still pass on seeing it theatrically, but that's good to know

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    eXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What does 4X mean?

basically Civ / Master of Orion 2 style games

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    okay!

I am going to spend the morning making food for families of sick kids

yay

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What does 4X mean?

Explore, expand something, something.

I prefer to think of them as genocide simulators.

I would say if you want to watch one episode of Voyager without getting invested in the characters or story or anything watch "The Thaw".

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    okay!

I am going to spend the morning making food for families of sick kids

yay

*2 hours into the shift*

skippy: this is bullshit, i'm no man's- or sick kid's- slave!

*throws patties everywhere*

I don't like 4X games because I suck at them.

That is basically the reason I don't like them, in a nutshell. I could try to write a long post explaining what I hate about them, but it will end up with someone summarizing it as "Pony it sounds like you hate these games because you're bad at them", and that's basically correct.

So, they're just not for me. Some people can't do high-reflex FPS games, they're just awful at them and find them vexatious to play and shouldn't bother. That's how I am with 4X.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Oh hey!

I just realized I could skip the final today and still get a B in the class (it's non-cumulative and he drops the lowest exam because this class is softball as fuck).

So that takes a lot of the burden off my shoulders.

what're you going to be doing now?
    Subsea well abandonment for the most part and probably a lot of one off custom jobs for various clients. Hopefully my tasks are diverse and creatively taxing.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Cv is pretty terrifying if you think abut it

how would we view it if say Greece waged a 5000 year long war on the world, burning and subjugating one rival civilization at a time until they controlled the globe

I love 4X games. I'm an excellent space emperor.

I am terrible at 4X games but still love them anyway.

All of my wars are poorly planned endless quagmires.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah I am gonna get it after work. People are creaming their jeans over the UI which looks REALLY GOOD, especially compared to all of the awful UIs I've experienced in the genre. The combat system also occurs in phases and instead of taking direct control you make strategic decisions with cards. Also production occurs on a system-wide level and planets basically serve to tweak your system's characteristics.

Sarksus on
    Pony wrote: »
    also don't watch the TNG movies

they are also terrible

a lot of people give First Contact a pass but it's a shitty movie too

I would say people would treat First Contact better if it was its own movie. Which is to say, if this was a seperate universe in which a Space Captain travels back in time to do battle with his nemesis while dealing with the time they violated him on every possible level one can be violated, that would be peachy keen.

However by tying it to the series and ignoring where the series went with how Picard dealt with said violation, that causes an uncanny vally-esque reaction to this guy on the screen. He's not quite the guy we've come to know for seven years and a movie that treats a pop culture like a redshirt.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

how would we view it if say Greece waged a 5000 year long war on the world, burning and subjugating one rival civilization at a time until they controlled the globe
    Don't forget that after they fuck this gay earth for all it's worth, they launch ships into space to spread the horrible disease that is themselves.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

I know right?

I've had games in Civ where I have been trading units in battle with another empire from the classic era to the modern era.

Just thousands of years of ceaseless war.

Pony wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

this is heartening to hear, thom

i'll probably still pass on seeing it theatrically, but that's good to know

Jacob and I both loved it. And while the trailers didn't do a lot for me, the film was much better.

No emo, lots of organic fight seqences, and a sense of scale. It's worth a look on the big screen.

@Echo

ArmA looks fantastic. It reminds me of Raven Shield which is still one of my all time favorite gaming experiences. One question though. . .

are they fighting AI or another team?

steam_sig.png
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh hey!

I just realized I could skip the final today and still get a B in the class (it's non-cumulative and he drops the lowest exam because this class is softball as fuck).

So that takes a lot of the burden off my shoulders.

I dunno man, weren't you bitten in the ass by such things before? Wouldn't it be safer to take the test anyway, even if you get a shitty score?

This discussion has been closed.