As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    You know, despite some of the problems with this game, I've still had some fantastic matches - I feel like they've captured the "feel" of a Soviet force; desperate meat grinder operations where your forces are clearly inferior but through strength of numbers you can turn the tide.

One game in particular involved a whole game hold out on a VP which really showed me the games potential - by the end the point looked like a blasted wasteland, pot holes and tank wrecks littering the field. Hugely enjoyable experience where I just kept throwing my troops into a horror death zone and clinging to whatever ground I held to by the barest of margins.

If they can nail that feeling for SP I will be extremely happy with my purchase.

Docken on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm confused on the story. Didn't they first say that one of the main characters was an American Journalist following the soviet armies in order to show how bad Stalin was (Or something)?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Docken wrote: »
    You know, despite some of the problems with this game, I've still had some fantastic matches - I feel like they've captured the "feel" of a Soviet force; desperate meat grinder operations where your forces are clearly inferior but through strength of numbers you can turn the tide.
    I'm not sure the Russians would appreciate being called "clearly inferior." In some aspects (tanks!) the Russian army was arguable more impressive than the Germans.

Just recorded my first shoutcast - hopefully I'll get it uploaded soon.

• Options
    Ok fair enough, But I think it's fair to say that prior to the advent of T34/85s and Sturmoviks in sufficient numbers, the German war machine was clearly the superior force, certainly when it came to infantry.

Individual units (eg KVs) where often more than a match for equivalent Wehrmacht hardware but that didn't matter for the most part...

• Options
    Just recorded my first shoutcast - hopefully I'll get it uploaded soon.

Look forward to it! Your recent Men of War vids have been very entertaining.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Ok fair enough, But I think it's fair to say that prior to the advent of T34/85s and Sturmoviks in sufficient numbers, the German war machine was clearly the superior force, certainly when it came to infantry.

Individual units (eg KVs) where often more than a match for equivalent Wehrmacht hardware but that didn't matter for the most part...
    We're far past the advent of T-34/85s and Sturmoviks in Company of Heroes 2, though. If you think about it in terms of being outmatched in equipment and stuff, Company of Heroes 1 should've felt much more frantic when fighting Germans, because it's not like Shermans were ever anything but "let's throw enough of them at them and hope it works out."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    That's one thing - I like the soviets tanks ALOT better than the allied tanks in CoH1. Though the M10 was fun to micro.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

We're far past the advent of T-34/85s and Sturmoviks in Company of Heroes 2, though. If you think about it in terms of being outmatched in equipment and stuff, Company of Heroes 1 should've felt much more frantic when fighting Germans, because it's not like Shermans were ever anything but "let's throw enough of them at them and hope it works out."

Well Sherman's in Real Life sucked ass compared to the Germans' Panzer 4s. They were less armored and had the range of a damned nerf gun.

Not to mention that T-34s look baller.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Kadoken wrote: »

Well Sherman's in Real Life sucked ass compared to the Germans' Panzer 4s. They were less armored and had the range of a damned nerf gun.

Not to mention that T-34s look baller.
    Dimitri L. A Guards soviet tank commander preferred the Sherman's over the native T34's. He cited crew comfort, superior reliability.
    Note that out of 6 Guard's armies 2 of them were equipped with Shermans, aka their best units tended to monoplise the Sherman lead lease shipments.

Sherman 76mm gunned variants had heavier frontal armour than the T34-85s. They were markedly superior to the PIV's in armour and gun power as well which had reached the end of it's development by 1944, resulting in only one factory building it (Styer's Valentine complex) and stripping out things like powered turret transverse as cost cutting measures and interrupting production to build more StuG's and Jdpz's.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Jesus christ 2v2 might not have been the ideal way to introduce people to this.

I won a match when someone dropped and I got allied with a hard AI against 2 easy AIs but yeesh. Even with my prior knowledge of CoH and the fact that oddly little appears to have changed, it's a hard as hell game to get used to. I mean the speed! The enemy has armor when I'm still figuring out where all my conscripts are.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The best way to learn the game is to play against other people. Nobody knows what is going on right now so you'll be in a more equal position than fighting the purportedly godlike AI.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular

is it just me or does the game seem to have lag issues at times???

• Options
    Perhaps when playing against people with bad Internet connections? That's how online games tend to work, yes.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Man, I can see where everyone was saying about how rapid teching is. There isn't really any point in not teching as fast as possible.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    It appears the CoH2 beta is on steam now (it just reads CoH with 12 days left, assuming its a beta)

Also on there is CoH (New Steam Version). Anyone know what that is?

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular

is it just me or does the game seem to have lag issues at times???

Yes, the way the p2p is set up is very prone to this. It happens whenever 2 players have a crappy connection towards each other, and the risk of this happening is greater the more players you have in the game. Because of the multiplayer architecture where everyone is synchronized all the time everyone will start chopping.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So there's a fancy new version of the beta out...and I'm still crashing all the damn time. I just tried two games, and both crashed within a few minutes of the game starting. Anyone else having this problem?

ATI card? Which model?

• Options
    It appears the CoH2 beta is on steam now (it just reads CoH with 12 days left, assuming its a beta)

Also on there is CoH (New Steam Version). Anyone know what that is?
    The old CoH servers shut down so now if you play CoH you use the new Steam version.

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Been stuck on this for days now and I have to say they did a good job on fixing some major stuff. Been kicking some ass as the Russians and for once I feel the balance isn't too bad. There is definitely some powerful Russian units now, where as for the Germans I mostly just fear the Panther and whatever the hell that Elephant doctrine tank is. Although I think the Germans also have better bombardment units as well, their stuff damages the shit out of tanks compared to the Russian stuff which does jack all to armor.

Oddly enough I have a build order which only utilizes building one building at the start. Otherwise I use shock troops for my mobile infantry and the flame/heavy tank for later engagements. AT literally does the heavy lifting. With cloaking and bombardment they really shine. Backed up by MGs nothing gets through. Shock troops slaughter every other infantry in the game.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yeah shocktroopers are ridiculously good now, so much that I feel doctrines that don't have them will have trouble getting picked in 1v1. In group fights not everyone needs to pick a shock trooper doctrine but someone definately should.

The game is patching right now, is there anywhere I can find patch notes?

Edit: Updates for June 6th, 2013

- fixed some crash bugs
    - server updates
    - adressed an issue with the Replay feature requiring a game restart

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
  • Options
    I really like the Germans though they feel a tad weak against the soviets.

• Options

Oh Tycho, just wait for Blitzkrieg 2 mod for CoH2. Maybe things will improve. I know I'm waiting for the Far Eastern Front mod.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

Operation Bagration beat the fascists into the ground and then some.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »

Oh Tycho, just wait for Blitzkrieg 2 mod for CoH2. Maybe things will improve. I know I'm waiting for the Far Eastern Front mod.
    It's not even clear whether there will be any mod tools, but aside from that, mods never really took off in competitive CoH for a lot of reasons, including the fact that Blitzkrieg wasn't balanced at all.

• Options
    Three new videos:

Shoutcast of a match between two folks who love infantry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprtFtgx4ec

Noobcast, where I point out mistakes made by someone who sucks so much they lost against me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYUG_WJng-k

First person PoV video of me playing the game and talking at the same time, which is tremendously difficult:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3txLsgiQo

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Pharezon wrote: »

Operation Bagration beat the fascists into the ground and then some.

Simplistically Bagration, chosen in many ways as the German Army group centre had been denuded of better units: The Panzer/Panzer grenadier divs that created the horrifically lopsided casualty ratios. The Soviets also hid their build up better and were colluded with Hitlers fascination with the need to take land in the southern sector.

Germans by contrast in 43 were all; "this salient is dangerous lets play arms build up in the sector and take on the Soviets where they have concentrated all their reserves in the face of our build up." History shows Bagration was successful at breaking an entire armee gruppe. Kursk, yeah they killed a lot of Soviets and blew up a lot of equipment, but no break through at all and in fact lost ground to the successive Soviet counter offensives.

tldr Soviets kept gaining in Strategic competence where as the Germans seem to have stagnated at best or even gone regressive from 41 onwards.

All my opinion of course and based on university classes taken last decade so may be out of date.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    I don't agree with you Tycho that the maxim is bad. It wins against pretty much any infantry squad 1v1. And grouping it up to 2v2 or 3v3 doesn't make the maxims worse either, they just don't scale to later in the game as well as a lot of strong infantry but they're far from useless lategame.

Their setup and de-setup timer is 1 second. It will get rifle grenaded but unless you're taking a shower of grenades pretty much nothing will get past it, and even if you're flanking it can reposition in 2 seconds.

• Options
    Now all I want to do is go play CoH online. How populated is the steam works version?

• Options
    I've heard dire things. It's not dead though, so maybe you can find a game.

• Options
    this beta has really hooked me I really hope this does well.

I just really prefer how it plays compared to some other rtses out there.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Just got the beta downloaded today, anyone care to play a few games? My Steam ID is Evma.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Over at Sunday Night Fights we're streaming casts of the tournament today - we just finished our first one (sorry I forgot to post here about it). It's been fun so far.

• Options
    So these tournament games do not follow the "you have to keep your upkeep low in CoH2" at all. They seem to max out their manpower all the time like in CoH, huge armies.

• Options
    Nobody really tries to keep their upkeep low in CoH 2. I think players will likely try experimenting with that in the future but right now that's always a bad idea.

• Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The enemy team isnt loading :( should I exit the game? Stuck at the loading screen now.

Edit: Nevermind. Just kicked them and gave us a win.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    The honorable solution.

More shoutcasts (or if you dislike them, perhaps they are 'shitcasts' that is a pun). They are in a spoiler because there are EIGHT of them (I forgot to post my new ones yesterday, plus I have a bunch from today) and I've arranged them vaguely in order from best to worst from what I can recall. If you want to watch them chronologically check out the playlist.

Now, the shoutcasts:

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Holycrap I just had an awesome 3v3, best yet. Massive battles with both teams being quite even (amazingly). The germans tried throwing huge amounts of tanks at us but we had a mostly mixed force with one player going very tank heavy and we were able to go toe to toe with their armor easily. I've been using a very AT focused setup for 3v3s (not that its omg pro or anything but its fun), with 2 guards rifles, mark target, conscripts with AT nades, and AT guns. Been working great vs the tank obsessed german players I often see lol.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Conversely I just had an absolute dire comp stomp since I got paired up with some level 29 guy who still seemed to have absolutely no idea how to play an RTS.

Edit: Then a level 1 guy who never fired up the game before went into pvp automatch and his computer blew up. Anyone care to add me on Steam to get some games in?

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516