As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime] Girls' Meetup: Tickets on sale now

123457»

• Options
    i3felicityi3felicity Registered User new member
    Sad that this coincides with Wil Wheaton, though. Maybe hubby can go and tell me all about it.

• Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    So, I haven't bought my ticket yet. Why? I'm concerned about the food. I can't eat anything that contains gluten. With things being buffet style there's a high risk of contamination. Plus, many restaurants/kitchens don't have separate preparation/cooking areas for their gluten free products. I could find nothing on The Diller Room's website about having gluten free options. I don't know that I would be able to eat any of the food that would be provided, therefore I don't know that I can justify paying $17 to just come hang out with you ladies for a few hours. I'm really bummed about this because I was really looking forward to attending again. :cry:

I know it sounds like a bit of a cop out, but I would recommend calling the Diller Room and talking to them. Astillac also has SEVERE gluten restrictions and I had her do the same last year and she decided to attend. As someone who doesn't have that particular dietary restriction I unfortunately don't know what questions to ask to provide you with a satisfactory answer. However, I will say that when I talked to them last year they said that a good portion of the food was gluten free, Astillac was able to eat there without issue and she is coming back again this year, if that means anything to you.

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    So, I haven't bought my ticket yet. Why? I'm concerned about the food. I can't eat anything that contains gluten. With things being buffet style there's a high risk of contamination. Plus, many restaurants/kitchens don't have separate preparation/cooking areas for their gluten free products. I could find nothing on The Diller Room's website about having gluten free options. I don't know that I would be able to eat any of the food that would be provided, therefore I don't know that I can justify paying $17 to just come hang out with you ladies for a few hours. I'm really bummed about this because I was really looking forward to attending again. :cry:

I know it sounds like a bit of a cop out, but I would recommend calling the Diller Room and talking to them. Astillac also has SEVERE gluten restrictions and I had her do the same last year and she decided to attend. As someone who doesn't have that particular dietary restriction I unfortunately don't know what questions to ask to provide you with a satisfactory answer. However, I will say that when I talked to them last year they said that a good portion of the food was gluten free, Astillac was able to eat there without issue and she is coming back again this year, if that means anything to you.

From what I remember last year, pastries were on one tray, and meat items were on a second tray, and fruit was on a third. So as long as you avoid the pastry tray, you should be just fine - but as EruditeAphrodite said, call the Diller Room and double check. I wouldn't have had any problems having my husband eat brunch with us last year (other than that whole "he's a guy" part), and he's celiac with severe reactions to gluten. :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular

I have been a busy bee the last week or so and I wasn't able to get back on yesterday to see your message. (Didn't buy my ticket either.) We might be moving in the next few months and I have a lot to do here at the house by myself. For some reason I didn't think about calling them. Eating gluten free is still really new to me, so a lot of times I don't think to call places and ask about what options they have. I've been really stressed out lately and this weekend will be a much needed break from reality.

• Options
    GrowlingCupcakeGrowlingCupcake Registered User new member
    Unfortunately, I didn't buy tickets in time. Is it possible to still get any?

• Options
    shidoshishidoshi Registered User regular
    I reeeeally wanted to come to this, but I'm not going to be able to. Between having things to cover at PAX for work, my hotel situation being somewhat wonky, and needing to do prep for my panel at Noon, I would probably be able to stay for like 10 minutes by the time I got there.

I hope everybody who goes has tons of fun, and I will try my hardest to be at such a meetup if one happens at PAX East next Spring.

• Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    It says I can transfer my ticket until tomorrow, but how do I do that?

• Options
    Herr SwagsHerr Swags Registered User new member
    So, I wanted to grab this for my girlfriend but it appears to be sold out. Stupid me for waiting.

• Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    I extended ticket sales until 4:00am on the 30th so people can still get in if they want. courtneyj, just send me a PM with your real name and the real name of the person you are transferring your ticket to.

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    I also didn't have a chance to buy my ticket and I didn't see if this was extended. Let me know if anyone wants to transfer a ticket to me.

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular

I'm deadly allergic to pineapple, so I can feel your pain on buffet-cross-contamination worries. I can't even eat pizza that's been baked with another pizza that had pineapple on it, which pretty much zonks all pizza joints except the local one that caters to my anaphylactic shock ridden self by dedicating an oven only to pineapple free pizzas if I call in advance the day before and pick my pizza up when they first open. Gluten intolerance isn't necessarily a deal killer though. You can usually pretty reliably hit the salad bar and avoid the intestinal ouchies. You could also just eat first and count your 17.00 as a well spent fee for a low testosterone saturation space with awesome conversation and new people. That's how I figure it.

• Options
    AngieAngie Registered User regular
    Hi!!! This is my first time going to PAX!! Hope it's gonna be FUN!!! =D

R u guys heading to any after parties?

• Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    It was awesome seeing everyone at this year's Girls Meetup! I had a great time and the bloody mary was fantastic. :)

Super big thanks to @EruditeAphrodite for organizing! <3

• Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    It was a great time, thanks for putting it together @EruditeAphrodite!

• Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    You ladies are fabulous and I can't wait to chat with you again next year.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    I'm bummed I didn't go this year. I'll have to figure something out for next year.

• Options
    irikahirikah Registered User regular
    this was fabulous! hopefully next year I'll end up chatting with more than just my table :c

echoing the sentiments of some of the other ladies; thanks so much @EruditeAphrodite for setting this up!

.life.laugh.love.
This discussion has been closed.