As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    what you are saying is akin to telling a runner who is interested in going for best times that he shouldn't bother timing himself because he will 'know' that he is getting faster.

Again I don't care one way or the other about dps meters, but this is not true. A runner would have no other metric to gauge himself by he has to time himself to mark improvement. In an MMO you have success/failure as a pretty big way to gauge your performance in Tera specifically you can also gauge your performance by whether or not you are getting hit, and how much damage your abilities hit for. How much they do over the course of time is kind of pointless though because you will frequently have periods of movement and dodging where you are not doing damage, this will vary widely based on the tank and healer performances and the BAM mechanics in that particular encounter as well (which could also vary widely due to the behavioral basis of the mechanics vs scripted mechanics)

Which is why a DPS meter is not particularly useful in Tera.

Fine for other MMO's where you have a much more standard combat that doesn't vary much, less so for Tera.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Unless you're a warrior, in which case, time spent not doing damage almost always reflects failure just as taking damage does. Albeit less so.

I don't know, maybe all the other classes have significant periods of time where they are standing around with their hands in their pockets wishing they could be doing damage. I don't /think/ so, because what I have read indicates there are still options do do damage while avoiding it for almost every class. Or charging up for greater damage while moving to avoid damage, etc etc etc. But maybe warriors are just special.

• Options
    jmiketjmiket Orlando, FlRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    what you are saying is akin to telling a runner who is interested in going for best times that he shouldn't bother timing himself because he will 'know' that he is getting faster. I feel like none of you have ever done any sort of sport like swimming or running or weight lifting. I did swimming for 11 years and best times are everything in swimming.

I don't think it's that no one here has "done any sort of sport." It's that your sports analogy doesn't translate to a game like TERA.

If you want a sports analogy, think of TERA more like basketball or something. If everyone on the court is obsessed with their individual scoring instead of assisting their teammates, playing good defense or controlling the pace of the game, that's never going to be a winning team.

Best times (and best DPS) aren't everything in TERA.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    jmiket wrote: »
    Best times (and best DPS) aren't everything in TERA.

Metaphores are always suspect, and it's certainly easier to attack a flawed one rather than the core issue itself. Just because you move in a lot in Tera, just because the combat is more difficult, doesn't mean there aren't optimal conditions. Why is striving for optimal such an anethma to you? "I don't value it so it's not of value"

If you want to pat yourself on the back because you're standing and the mob is not, super groovy. Maybe that's all you'll ever want, and that's all it takes to make you happy. That's cool, I'm genuinely pleased for you. I gain pleasure from it too. But I also really, really like improving my performance. Shaving time off. Blending my attacks together, finding optimal patterns, learning when and where and how to dodge, or move, or execute an attack to keep me on target as much as possible while avoiding damage.

Perhaps you don't? I don't think that's the case. I imagine most people gain pleasure from that progression as well. I just prefer to have a concrete tool to help measure that improvement. I want the option to have as much information as possible. If you don't, that's fine, but why stand in the way of, or argue against the wishes of others?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Wait, you're really taking umbrage with "DPS isn't everything"?

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So I'm watching some more vids (thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions, by the way) and I can see how they're touting the whole "movement is key during battle" concept. I must admit it does look refreshing.

Curious as to how it actually works though. Do classes have skills to backflip and such? Or is that all an integral part of moving your character?

• Options
    I'm certainly not trying to argue against the wishes of others. And in fact, rpshoggoth, your middle paragraph pretty much reiterates the point I was trying to make.

My comment "Best times (and best DPS) aren't everything in TERA." is in response to the analogy that measuring your DPS with a meter is akin to measuring your time in swimming or running. It wasn't a comment on how quickly a group kills a boss in TERA as you seem to think. In fact, my point is that the "DPS is everything" mentality more than likely will lengthen kill time or cause a failure.

I'm not trying to attack anyone. I'm not against DPS meters either. But I am against the DPS is everything mentality, especially in a game as dynamic as TERA.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You people are killing me. Spent time leveling on Samael today. I'm a big enough Helloween fanboy that I might stick around. There is also Klyka, but I think Helloween makes up for that :)

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    Suddenly maintenance!

• Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    So I'm watching some more vids (thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions, by the way) and I can see how they're touting the whole "movement is key during battle" concept. I must admit it does look refreshing.

Curious as to how it actually works though. Do classes have skills to backflip and such? Or is that all an integral part of moving your character?

Combination of moving manually and class evade abilities.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    DPS is less meaningful in Tera due to the amount of moving you have to do during boss fights, anyway.

I would say just the opposite. Keeping constant DPS going is harder in Tera because the amount of moving you are doing, thus making it more important than normal since you have less time to actually attack.

I keep seeing people rant about how great it is when people dodge and move in combat. And to an extent it is good and a good player will do so... but if all they do is dodge damage while not managing to attack at the right times for some DPS, then they really aren't doing that great.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Dodging but staying close enough to contribute dps is the mark of a good warrior, its why glyphing for cooldown on your upward dodging leap thing (Death from above?) is so important in groups.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    I would say just the opposite. Keeping constant DPS going is harder in Tera because the amount of moving you are doing, thus making it more important than normal since you have less time to actually attack.

I keep seeing people rant about how great it is when people dodge and move in combat. And to an extent it is good and a good player will do so... but if all they do is dodge damage while not managing to attack at the right times for some DPS, then they really aren't doing that great.

Total damage done over the course of the fight >>>>> average DPS from minute to minute is what I'm saying here.

• Options
    DPS is less meaningful in Tera due to the amount of moving you have to do during boss fights, anyway.

This is true, and because of the variance in moving from battle to battle, why a DPS meter is not very useful.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Total damage done over the course of the fight >>>>> average DPS from minute to minute is what I'm saying here.

Have you even used a DPS meter? It has metrics of like twenty different things. A few include damage taken, total damage done, mana used/gained, CC broken, interrupts/stuns used.

I guess I should elaborate when I say DPS meters to not just specifically say "damage per second".
    Although over the course of a 10 minute fight, knowing your damage per second would be just as useful at total damage done. Damage per second can be found over any amount of time.... hell if I do 100 damage in an hour, I'm doing like 0.02 DPS... you werent actually thinking DPS is used JUST for a second to second basis?

Just because you aren't hitting 100% of the time, doesn't mean you wont have an average DPS over the course of a boss fight.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    They also give you per-ability breakdowns, hit chance per ability, crit chance per ability, etc.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    Have you even used a DPS meter? It has metrics of like twenty different things. A few include damage taken, total damage done, mana used/gained, CC broken, interrupts/stuns used.

Use recount in WoW.

All I'm really trying to say is that Tera's "DPS meter" would actually be a "total benefit" meter, which would have to track (at the least) damage done, minus damage taken.

Could also have damage absorbed through blocking...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the basketball one isn't that great because you play both offense and defense, but even then just because a point guard doesn't value the number of points he scores very much doesn't mean a shooting guard also does not. they probably care about the number of points they score a whole lot since you kind of need to score points to win games.

• Options
    All I'm saying Jars is I might have to bench you if you don't start setting some picks...

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    I just re-admitted @Lepwave (playing Lepwave), @Wulfus (playing Wulfus), and @Mikempty (playing Nesithan)

Also, my own alt character (Azuska) and @Shadow.Spies (playing Shadow.Spies)

Hey, periods in the name breaks click-to-profile

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    I just re-admitted @Lepwave, @Wulfus, and @Mikempty

Also, my own alt character and @Shadow.Spies

Hey, periods in the name breaks click-to-profile

I think you can encapsulate them in quotes to fix it.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yup, thanks.

• Options
    Yup, thanks.

Works with spaces too!

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, I can't wait until Tera has been out long enough for everything to be analyzed so that we know the only "one true way to play" and we can stop these incredibly dumb DPS arguments.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Man, I can't wait until Tera has been out long enough for everything to be analyzed so that we know the only "one true way to play" and we can stop these incredibly dumb DPS arguments.

Still won't affect how I play. I play to have fun, which means I play to be inefficient most of the time.

I'm ok with this. So Long as I can kill people/bams and swing a big sword I'm a happy guy.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Damage meters, one of the things I wish MMO's would never allow.

When you tend to play a game you can usually tell who's cutting it or not after a few runs.

Damage meters are just about the epeen and people using it to justify kicking out some people even if they're above what is needed.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Damage meters are just about the epeen and people using it to justify kicking out some people even if they're above what is needed.

Generalizations are my favorite. Can we talk about how all Elin players are pedos now?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular

Generalizations are my favorite. Can we talk about how all Elin players are pedos now?

Suggesting such things I believe reflects more on your statement than mine.

• Options

Suggesting such things I believe reflects more on your statement than mine.

To be fair there is substantially more truth in your statement in mine, I'm just trying to point to the uselessness of sweeping generalizations. Especially ones (I hope you know that) aren't true.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I see there is mystic and priest capable of healing. Are one of those the "main healer," or barring that, what are the main differences? I read the op, just looking for a bit more granularity

• Options
    @Island is back in the guild, playing Aedun

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    I see there is mystic and priest capable of healing. Are one of those the "main healer," or barring that, what are the main differences? I read the op, just looking for a bit more granularity

Priest has more healing tools, mystic has more support spells. Both are perfectly capable of healing 5 man content, priest just has more oh-shit buttons.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »

Priest would be the "Main healer" in that they have more healing spells. Mystics are more a "hybrid healer" in that they have fewer healing spells but more support spells such as the amazing crit buff one.

They also heal differently. Priest has aoe heals and direct target heals, while Mystic throw balls on the ground that people need to pick up to heal themselves (also distributes mana this way with blue balls)

From what I hear at higher levels people want Mystics over Priests (for the crit buff) but I think either can do just fine in most healing situations.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mystic post-50 has incredibly overpowered dps buffs that make it far more valuable than a Priest, from how I understand it.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Re-addmitted @Kass's character named Jaicham.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Axen's Guide to TERA's combat!

Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Ho! Ha! Dodge! Spin! Parry! Turn! Thrust! *Sproing!*

• Options
    QuamzinQuamzin Land of Fog and RainRegistered User regular
    I'm really digging the combat in this game more so than any other mmo I've played.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jmiket wrote: »
    Perhaps you don't? I don't think that's the case. I imagine most people gain pleasure from that progression as well. I just prefer to have a concrete tool to help measure that improvement. I want the option to have as much information as possible. If you don't, that's fine, but why stand in the way of, or argue against the wishes of others?

I used to play MMOs for the challenge. Now I play them to relax. Completely different mindset, but both types of players inhabit every MMO.

Problems tend to occur when people don't realize the other type exists. Sometimes it gets to the point where people espouse a certain view, which definitely won't work.

I'm mildly interesting in trying TERA since it resembles the gameplay of yore. It's probably too new for trial accounts, though.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    Not a big deal, but just to clarify Great Scott, I didn't say the thing you quoted. I agree with you.

In other news, I'm almost 36 and chomping at the bit for the 3rd dungeon (CR?). As long as I don't skip any story quests it'll lead me to the appropriate dungeon quests, right? I'm paranoid because I managed to skip the BoL quests until I was almost over leveled for the place.

This discussion has been closed.