As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    By the way, for those nearing the high 50's, don't bother buying any Lv58+ stuff, you get handed T12 golds right away.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Quintessin wrote: »
    By the way, for those nearing the high 50's, don't bother buying any Lv58+ stuff, you get handed T12 golds right away.

:shock:

WAT?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    easy story quests with t12 golds that make all your gear obsolete~ They aren't even group quests

• Options
    Varg wrote: »
    easy story quests with t12 golds that make all your gear obsolete~ They aren't even group quests

:shock:

That is the greatest thing ever!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    When you hit 58, and you go to Kaiator, you just get handed 8m xp and a T12 gold that blows anything else you can get by that point out of the water. Then, later in the zone, you get another Lv59 T12 gold that blows THAT one away. You really get handed all the gear you need from regular quests at that point.

• Options
    And now for some completely unrelated things.

f844f5168573768af5f71f9d2ff2b910.jpg

They_See_Poporin_they_H8n_by_aethus.jpg

Steam
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    I think TERA is the first game since WoW vanilla that triggers the "this feels like a living world I want to explore" instinct in me.
    Question to the gatherers out there, how high level do you need to be to max out the gathering skills? I'd really dig that halo you get for 300 Mining, but if I need to be level capped to get there I might as well not bother with it until then.
    you should be able to max gathering skills around the high 40s-early 50s. The tier 5 nodes appear around Kaiator I think.
    Turns out there's no level restrictions on nodes! My level 17 Lancer now has 201 Mining.
    Only problem is, I don't think there are level +40 zones on the Eastern continent and you can't ride the pegasus to the Western one without being level 30. Don't suppose there's some way to get over there other than flight?

• Options
    I think TERA is the first game since WoW vanilla that triggers the "this feels like a living world I want to explore" instinct in me.
    Question to the gatherers out there, how high level do you need to be to max out the gathering skills? I'd really dig that halo you get for 300 Mining, but if I need to be level capped to get there I might as well not bother with it until then.
    you should be able to max gathering skills around the high 40s-early 50s. The tier 5 nodes appear around Kaiator I think.
    Turns out there's no level restrictions on nodes! My level 17 Lancer now has 201 Mining.
    Only problem is, I don't think there are level +40 zones on the Eastern continent and you can't ride the pegasus to the Western one without being level 30. Don't suppose there's some way to get over there other than flight?

Can you swim it?

Steam
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm guessing the game's overly prevalent invisible walls will be in place, but it doesn't hurt to try.

[edit] Ayup, wall'd.
    [edit2] Someone mentioned city scrolls. Maybe I can buy one off the broker...

Glal on
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    40+ zones? serpentis isle and frymont in the northern portions :)

the 250-300 tier for gathering you'd need to go to Kaiator generally or Val Elenium/Veritas District near Allemantheia

Varg on
  • Options
    Oho! Thank you kindly, I'll go poke Northward then! (it's hard to tell what level zones are. Pegasus map gives you only level restrictions and there's no equivalent to WoWhead yet).

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I sort of abandoned to game halfway through the US open beta. It was my plan to transfer anything of value to WANG before the beta ended. If Acela, Castanic Warrior is still in the guild you can remove her as I most likely wont be back on the US servers.

And since I haven't followed the previous thread, but have read all of this one, is there a guild on EU-Essenia that PA people are congregating in?

I'll be buying the game tomorrow and leveling a Warrior to max. And if I really suck, some other class after that. :)

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Oho! Thank you kindly, I'll go poke Northward then! (it's hard to tell what level zones are. Pegasus map gives you only level restrictions and there's no equivalent to WoWhead yet).

Actually, the same guys who brought you Wowhead have in fact made TERA Tome. Dunno if it'd cover the info you need, but. The more you know! (Note: the site is in fact still in beta, but I'm pretty sure the devs have actually been talking to the guys working on it because I found out about it from TERA's own news.)

• Options
    Don't suppose anyone has one of those 7-day Buddy Passes? Trying to get a friend to try the game, but I got the Digital CE, so no codes for me. Would be greatly appreciated!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Hm, unfortunately it doesn't seem like the 7 day pass resets when the other person buys the game. Shame, you'd think it would.
    [edit] You sure you don't have a code? Under your account, is there a [Tell a Friend] button, along with Download Game and all the others?

Glal on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    If anyone else has a spare code, I'd really like to try this game before I commit $60 to it with Diablo 3 and Dragon's Dogma coming out later this month.

sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    The thing is, as far as I'm aware only the EU players actually have that button to give somebody a friend pass? I mean, I certainly don't have anything on En Masse's TERA site to do that with. I think they're probably missing out on quite a few purchases right now because of that (but on the other hand they've been having enough trouble with their account/billing stuff that it might only make for more of a headache).

As an aside, isn't the game only $50 for the standard edition? Although I'm really enjoying the collector's edition items, personally.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    My theory is that they had to expedite some of the features for the EU because of the Frogster screwup.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    I chose not to spend the cash on this game. To many unknowns for me right now.

Sort of makes me sad though. Looking forward to a NA friend code situation.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    Why does this game look like it has the most exciting fucking combat ever, and you can play fat kittens and puppies wielding gigantic weapons, and it's the most gorgeous and well-animated game in the god damned world. But has completely forgettable lore and quests and everything else and why should I give a shit about any of it. I am conflicted.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I don't know, the lore of the world is pretty unique in my opinion. Admittedly I'm not sure how well it's depicted overall.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    On the subject of the game's plot I think a goon put it best

TERA's story isn't anything special. It's interesting enough for me to skim through most quest text. It's just delivered in a manner that conflicts with the rest of the game. You don't want to be reading what a NPC has to say when you can ride around on a lion and swing your weapon around. It also lacks a good/strong hook so there's little reason to start unless you intend to from the beginning. It's moderately interesting, it's just that you're along for the ride rather than interacting with it or making any choices of any sort. You also spend the majority of the experience fighting cultists, rebels, mutants, and gods rather than the Argons. First time I stepped into the Argonized forest, it was... Well, it was disturbing, creepy, and a cool aesthetic. I felt like the Argons had to be stopped and that all the troublemakers of the past 58 levels using the war as an opportunity to pursue their own goals were goddamn stupid for thinking that there was any value in not opposing the Argons.

Personally, I don't really play mmos for plot. I mean, it's nice to have and all but the majority of what you do in the game is fight shit and interact with other people. TERA basically changed the majority of what you do in this genre. I think that's a good return. It's good enough for me at least.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So I was looking at the screenshot thread thinking to myself, "God damn, TERA looks amazing." Then I remembered I had actually bought this game and had yet to play it!

So now I have an adorable Popori Slayer by the name of Pumpleton.

I am a freaking Pug with a giant sword! Why is this so awesome to me?!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    So instead of doing some crazy guide, I'm just gonna post some quick lancer tanking tips since we seem to have so many budding young lances out there.

Block block block. Some bosses emote when they enrage or just to eff with you so, when in doubt, block anyway.

Your leash won't pull BAMs to you, but it will stun them. It is basically two full range stuns so use em, dammit.

Similarly, once you've figured out which wind-ups are gonna hit your melee DPS, stun that shit. It speeds things up and saves your healer some aggro and keeps those sweet, sweet heals cooled down for you. It is also to your advantage to stun BAMs to keep them from moving around too much. They stomp on your charges and make them owie. If you're stuck in a long animation, you can cancel out real quick by hitting the block key and then fire off your stun. Try it!

If you're tanking BAMs outside and there are normal enemies around, round 'em up before you get started and position them between yourself and the BAM. The big guy will kill them for you. This also works for pitting two BAMs against each other.

Debilitate. Use it. Keep it stacked. I was seeing 700+ increases in crits on debilitated BAMs and I hit like a baby. Think about how much harder your berserkers and slayers are hitting!

If you get knocked down, retaliate to get up faster. Sometimes this will even save you by allowing you to block the later hits of a multi-hit attack. Even if you aren't gonna hit the guy just use it to get back on your feet, wussy.

Use your Second Wind as often as you can. It takes up a bit of MP so don't go NUTS but it's nice to top yourself off and save your healer some effort. Iron Will works well too and even chains right into Second Wind by default.

For those jerks that jump back and then drop those red circles on your ass, just dash the eff out of them. Charging lunge can also get you outta there quickly if you point the opposite way and use it.

Onslaught makes you harder to knock down which makes it a nice distance-closer as well.

You can totally block attacks for your party members. Get in front of them and stand fast.

I might have more as I approach the cap, so stay tuned and keep on lancing.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So I am lvl 5 at the moment, almost 6 I think.

I am having the most fun I've ever had in a long time while playing an MMO.

Quests do seem to be the standard MMO fare. The combat though? Holy Hell, I am legitimately having fun fighting mobs!

Hopefully the game keeps this level of fun for me.

One complaint/gripe I have so far (it's not a major one and maybe this is just newbie island), but quest rewards annoy me. Either A) When I get it I am not the right level for it or B) While working on the quest an item will drop that is exactly the same as what my quest reward would be.

Still, that isn't really a big annoyance to me, I just feel a bit ripped off sometimes.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't stress out over that too much. Everything drops on newbie island, multiple times, just to make sure you get one of everything.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Only the first half of the Island of Dawn drops gear left and right, it gets much less common even before you leave it. Level 17 currently and I only got a single quest reward yesterday that wasn't an improvement (and even that was replacing a quest reward, not a drop, so I might've just done the chain late).

Glal on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Jibba wrote: »
    Suppression order quests are just the infinite repeatables. My suggestion is to not do them.

Oh no, you do need to do them. They give rewards that are useful for soloing open world bams.

The gear really isn't very good or worth the effort. The top ilvl Blues for each tier are fairly cheap on the AH at all times, because they're unenchantable.

And as for the quests, they're designed for people who actually do like the Korean grindy style. Because EME balanced it so quests would give so much XP, they had to make it so the quest item doesn't drop on every kill, or else the most efficient leveling method would be to farm those quests indefinitely.

Maybe I was thinking of the other repeatable quests that give you the option for some potion you can throw at bams or elites in outdoor zones that makes them hit for less and you hit for more.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Folks, temporary edit at the top of the OP concerning the guild roster. If you take a couple minute to read that real quick it'd be super duper :)

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So instead of doing some crazy guide, I'm just gonna post some quick lancer tanking tips since we seem to have so many budding young lances out there.

Block block block. Some bosses emote when they enrage or just to eff with you so, when in doubt, block anyway.

Your leash won't pull BAMs to you, but it will stun them. It is basically two full range stuns so use em, dammit.

Similarly, once you've figured out which wind-ups are gonna hit your melee DPS, stun that shit. It speeds things up and saves your healer some aggro and keeps those sweet, sweet heals cooled down for you. It is also to your advantage to stun BAMs to keep them from moving around too much. They stomp on your charges and make them owie. If you're stuck in a long animation, you can cancel out real quick by hitting the block key and then fire off your stun. Try it!

If you're tanking BAMs outside and there are normal enemies around, round 'em up before you get started and position them between yourself and the BAM. The big guy will kill them for you. This also works for pitting two BAMs against each other.

Debilitate. Use it. Keep it stacked. I was seeing 700+ increases in crits on debilitated BAMs and I hit like a baby. Think about how much harder your berserkers and slayers are hitting!

If you get knocked down, retaliate to get up faster. Sometimes this will even save you by allowing you to block the later hits of a multi-hit attack. Even if you aren't gonna hit the guy just use it to get back on your feet, wussy.

Use your Second Wind as often as you can. It takes up a bit of MP so don't go NUTS but it's nice to top yourself off and save your healer some effort. Iron Will works well too and even chains right into Second Wind by default.

For those jerks that jump back and then drop those red circles on your ass, just dash the eff out of them. Charging lunge can also get you outta there quickly if you point the opposite way and use it.

Onslaught makes you harder to knock down which makes it a nice distance-closer as well.

You can totally block attacks for your party members. Get in front of them and stand fast.

As a Lancer that's not too far removed from being a baby myself, I appreciate this collection of tips very much. (That's assuming that I'm not still a baby after all. Only level 30.)

I had known that leash stuns, but I'd buried it away in the back of my mind.

One thing I want to add regarding Debilitate. Get the 100% effect duration increase Glyph as soon as possible. Unless you want to keep restacking it every 12 seconds.

Also posting this Lancer guide I found on youtube. It's not comprehensive, as it doesn't really discuss glyphs in detail, they are just given a quick mention at the end. But it does discuss all lancer abilities in the order they're learned. (where I heard about how leash just stuns BAMs.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEKc6WcKHs&amp;feature=relmfu

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

As a Lancer that's not too far removed from being a baby myself, I appreciate this collection of tips very much. (That's assuming that I'm not still a baby after all. Only level 30.)

I had known that leash stuns, but I'd buried it away in the back of my mind.

One thing I want to add regarding Debilitate. Get the 100% effect duration increase Glyph as soon as possible. Unless you want to keep restacking it every 12 seconds.

Also posting this Lancer guide I found on youtube. It's not comprehensive, as it doesn't really discuss glyphs in detail, they are just given a quick mention at the end. But it does discuss all lancer abilities in the order they're learned. (where I heard about how leash just stuns BAMs.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDEKc6WcKHs&amp;feature=relmfu

You'll eventually learn a rank 2 of Debilitate that ups the base duration to 15 seconds, but that's still painful to maintain, especially on later bosses who have a high debuff resistance and/or may not necessarily let you get close to them long enough to reapply it. A 30 second duration Debilitate is all kinds of convenient.

• Options
    All of that guys videos are really good.

Steam
  • Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    I've also found this guy's tutorial video on lancer tanking in SM helpful.

http://youtu.be/ip5EwxORb04

Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Varg wrote: »
    The golds start to be enigmatic (need the scroll) and I've found that you have to put them up as enigmatic or they become soulbound. Not realizing this, I used a scroll on a lv58 gold bow I had gotten and it was 16% attack speed, +9% dmg to boss when +6'd....tried to put it in bank to save for archer and realized it was soulbound :(

My understanding (Which may be flawed) is there in another scroll that can be used to re-"enigmatic" a gold to reroll the modifiers. May unsoulbind it as well. Food for thought. See the, "Luxing" section on this guide: http://teracodex.com/guide/6112

in other news...

From a warrior mechanics perspective, I figured something out which may seem a no brainer to other people, but it was a big "ahah!" for me. The Skill Links page allows you to set up one-touch key moves that trigger automatically after one another. I was frustrated, because none of the skills I actually wanted to use were available. Turns out, (for warriors at least) the skill links sheet is there specifically for abilities that don't get any special mojo from being used in sequence. Think of if as a sort of /castsequence macro in WoW. Skills that actually link automatically pop to your one-touch key, regardless. (passive links)

Where it gets a little funky is some skills link to more than one ability. In this case, if you want the one Tera doesn't like, you'll have execute it in manually.

e.g.
    combative strike > rain of blows (50% faster)

The game prefers to link combative strike to something else (I think leaping strike, which is butts)

But | pounce > traverse cut > blade draw | is automatic.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    Where it gets a little funky is some skills link to more than one ability. In this case, if you want the one Tera doesn't like, you'll have execute it in manually.

e.g.
    combative strike > rain of blows (50% faster)

The game prefers to link combative strike to something else (I think leaping strike, which is butts)

But | pounce > traverse cut > blade draw | is automatic.

We were talking about it in gchat yesterday.

You want to be using [pounce > rain of blows] as your follow up combo to [combative > traverse > blade draw]. I say follow up, because that bread 'n butter combo tends to kill equally level stuff extremely quick.

I have backstab now and use it prior to my follow up combo of [pounce > rain of blows], so the mob is stunned and I take no damage. Seems mobs start coming in pairs too, so you drop the first with bnb combo then use backstab + follow up. Sometimes you get a mob type that likes to sidestep right when you engage, so its useful to backstab to keep them in place for the bnb combo.

I dont use any of the actual combo system at all. I have 14 mouse buttons and a decent number of extra keybinds on the keyboard, so I'm fine using all the skills when I need them. I find the built-in combo thing to be pretty crap.... the idea is cool, but I could see it causing bad habits for some.

I think some people were complaining about the health loss from combative strike. It only sucks at low level. You glyph it to cost less HP, and then glyph rain of blows to restore some HP. If you do things right, combative strike will be the ONLY hp loss you have when grinding solo.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hrm,

I was using [Combative > Rain of Blows] because that typically kills what I am fighting with maybe a smack or two of mana builder. I also wanted to get my health back asap (I have both glyphed for health, respectively]

I can see how [Combative > Traverse > Blade Draw] would be the better go to combo on stuff that doesn't want to drop dead right away. Just makes me nervous about health. I may be being a bit of a goose about it, tho. I'll try it out tonight when grinding some quests.

While I'm at it, health regen x 3 (or 4) or 1 out of combat run speed gem? I do likes me some run speed.

I've actually been using the back crit attack gems, because even solo I'm able to get quite a few shots in. Backstab makes it seem even more of a done deal.

I always have an in combat run speed attack gem too.

rpshoggoth on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On the subject of the game's plot I think a goon put it best

TERA's story isn't anything special. It's interesting enough for me to skim through most quest text. It's just delivered in a manner that conflicts with the rest of the game. You don't want to be reading what a NPC has to say when you can ride around on a lion and swing your weapon around. It also lacks a good/strong hook so there's little reason to start unless you intend to from the beginning. It's moderately interesting, it's just that you're along for the ride rather than interacting with it or making any choices of any sort. You also spend the majority of the experience fighting cultists, rebels, mutants, and gods rather than the Argons. First time I stepped into the Argonized forest, it was... Well, it was disturbing, creepy, and a cool aesthetic. I felt like the Argons had to be stopped and that all the troublemakers of the past 58 levels using the war as an opportunity to pursue their own goals were goddamn stupid for thinking that there was any value in not opposing the Argons.

Personally, I don't really play mmos for plot. I mean, it's nice to have and all but the majority of what you do in the game is fight shit and interact with other people. TERA basically changed the majority of what you do in this genre. I think that's a good return. It's good enough for me at least.

Yeah, gameplay for me is the biggest thing in an MMO. By the nature of MMOs (we can argue all day about whether this is good bad whatever), you'll be doing a lot of the same things repeatedly - having fun doing something is more important to me than what I'm actually doing. WoW's storyline was mostly forgettable; you had characters that everyone knew about from the other games and were excited to see, but for the most part you as a player were a non-factor in the storyline. I don't remember one bit of Rift's story, it might as well have not even been there. SWTOR had great plot - once people were done with the plot, they stopped playing.

It's just like I get wanting a decent story, TERA's seems perfectly serviceable (I love the in-game cut scenes personally) while providing gameplay that is leagues ahead of any other MMO I've played. So it's hooked me for now, I just want to blow up more mans.
    llama_egg wrote: »
    Man, solo leveling a mystic is painful. Not only is it dreadfully boring using the same three skills (Metamorphic Blast, Metamorphic Smite and then spam Sharan Bolt till it's dead) for the last 10 levels, but even at level 22 you begin feeling the weight of being a low dps class. I definitely find the healing on a Mystic nifty (though seeing people refuse to eat my balls for health is infuriating) so I'll stick with it, but if it wasn't for guild chat I would probably want to kill myself!

I haven't minded it that much. Maybe it's because I haven't leveled a DPS class yet (well, warrior to 24) but I'm having plenty of fun dancing around the mob in melee range and bursting it down with the Metamorphic nukes (currently 31). I take almost no damage, mobs die reasonably fast (especially if either crits), and if I get bored I just round up a ton of mobs.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    llama_eggllama_egg Registered User regular
    Man, solo leveling a mystic is painful. Not only is it dreadfully boring using the same three skills (Metamorphic Blast, Metamorphic Smite and then spam Sharan Bolt till it's dead) for the last 10 levels, but even at level 22 you begin feeling the weight of being a low dps class. I definitely find the healing on a Mystic nifty (though seeing people refuse to eat my balls for health is infuriating) so I'll stick with it, but if it wasn't for guild chat I would probably want to kill myself!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    llama_egg wrote: »

Mystic leveling is suffering. It all pays off though when you're theoretically the most sought after healer because of the "crit and crack" combo. DPS will hang off your nuts like pine cones for this alone.

This discussion has been closed.