As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    Tip number 1: be an elin, don't be a baraka.
    Seriously, there's nothing you can do in BGs if your team is heavily outgunned. You just need to either be lucky and end up on the better team, or grind out your own gear and make your own good group.

The current strategy involves being at a point deficit on purpose to get the "loser buff", which is a substantial buff for your entire team, but even that's being nerfed next patch to the point you need a 2000 point deficit to get it and a 1000 point deficit to keep it making it not that viable to use it to slingshot your way to a win at the last minute. The southern teralith BAM spawn also grants your team a substantial buff if you can snatch the last hit on it but that buff goes away if you die and the odds of getting the kill are stacked against you if you're on the side that actually needs it...

Finally, some people claim it's possible to win a BGs by "back capping nodes around the enemy zerg" but quite frankly, it takes one person with a pulse to realize the enemy can just wipe your team and defend two nodes to victory and there's nothing your team can do if they can't kill anyone so I'd add the fineprint that you also need to be up against a group of blithering idiots who're too tunnel-visioned into killing people to pull that off.

If you don't give a damn about your rankings (which I don't see any reason to care about it until 3v3 arenas), you should just not care about winning or losing and just run as much as you can. On average, you'll get 80 credits a loss and 130 credits a win without the 15% bonus scrolls (200 credits each stackable; last one hour) not to mention that now, we all get rewards every 3 wins or 3 losses. Spam BGs over and over and get your pvp weapon if you're a dps class or your armor if you're a clothie. Even the cheapest non-enchantable pvp gear makes the big difference between putting up a fight and getting crushed like a cardboard box in front of a speeding 18-wheeler. Also, it's been announced that the prices of the BG gear is set to be reduced significantly next patch so start grinding now but wait before buying your rewards.

• deframerdeframer Registered User new member
    Hm, so this is what the forums look like.

<-- Stana

The man isn't joking - be an Elin. They're incredibly hard to hit.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Also hard to heal. I won't name names >.>

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    deframer wrote: »
    Hm, so this is what the forums look like.

<-- Stana

The man isn't joking - be an Elin. They're incredibly hard to hit.

STANAFISH!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Also hard to heal. I won't name names >.>

Good luck trying to heal an elin tank during Nexus first room and first add phase of dragon boss. So much lolz.

Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Tera is $5 on Amazon.com. It's a good deal if you have friends/family who didn't try it yet (but would like to). It includes 1 month of play.

Tremblay on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Ginpachi wrote: »
    Got any PvP tips for beginners? I joined a battleground and our whole team ended up getting camped at spawn and I was getting one shot >_>

I had high hopes for PVP but with only one map and the whole thing being a zerg fest i lost interest in the first week. =(

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Started playing this tonight, picked a Mystic, pretty damn fun. I love how the game encourages you to fight multiple things at once instead of punishing you with a swift death like other MMOs I've played.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    ................ PATCH sdknsdgljksdlksgdlsdghlksmhnsndgm

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    and more kugdjkhsgdkjgvjgbssdjbksbjdbjsgdkkjbsdjbsdgbjdbjdbjdgs

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    oh boy... I think that was the worst I ever tanked last night ever. Protip... don't mix rum tequila and wine...

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    So I picked this up on Amazon for $5, as I've really been wanting to try it. However the download is taking -forvever-, with the launcher dropping as low as 50k/s and bouncing up as high as 1m/s, but mostly saying its going to take 1 day or longer. I looked into faster ways and found a direct patch download which is abit better at around 900k/s with reasonable consistency, but its still going to take like 8+ hours.

Is there no faster way to download the game client? If this download fails and I have to start it again I may just not even bother...

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So I picked this up on Amazon for $5, as I've really been wanting to try it. However the download is taking -forvever-, with the launcher dropping as low as 50k/s and bouncing up as high as 1m/s, but mostly saying its going to take 1 day or longer. I looked into faster ways and found a direct patch download which is abit better at around 900k/s with reasonable consistency, but its still going to take like 8+ hours.

Is there no faster way to download the game client? If this download fails and I have to start it again I may just not even bother...

Did you turn off P2P?

Make sure you turn off P2P.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited December 2012
    I did have P2P off, was still going super slow via the patcher. I was mostly just grumpy with how big the frakkin files are, lol. Instead of using the updater I ended up just DLing the patch files directly overnight. About to try patching it up, see if that works.

**Worked, huzzah!

***Haven't gotten to play just yet, but have been checking out the races and classes ect abit before I decide which to check out first. Holy CRAP is this game pretty, and I don't mean just the scantily clad womenz. The environment art is awesome! Can't wait to explore this game, which is honestly my favorite thing in an mmo along side a kickin combat system. Which from what I can see this clearly has. Why is this not uber popular again?

DarkMecha on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Can't wait to explore this game, which is honestly my favorite thing in an mmo along side a kickin combat system. Which from what I can see this clearly has. Why is this not uber popular again?

Because 90% of the environments are narrow corridors, which is amazingly silly, and they're not really large either. Also, the first capital city (which you are forced to start near) has such a poor layout that you want to tear your hair out. But I guess that the main reason it's not popular is that 90% of its quests are "slay X of mob Y"... but then again, the combat is the only redeeming feature of the game, so I guess that's OK because it means that you're in combat most of the time (and the rest of the time you're not in combat again makes you want to tear your hair out, so it actively makes you seek out every fight you can get as fast as you can get it).

However, if exploring is really your favorite thing, why on earth didn't you go for Guild Wars 2 which is basically built around exploring, and does it really bloody well?

With that said... hello, I just re-activated my Tera account... but just for one month... I missed the combat.

(EDIT: I might add that I just uninstalled Guild Wars 2 to make room for my month with Tera. While the exploring in Guild Wars 2 is truly fantastic, the combat, and re-spawns in the middle of combat, made me tear my hair out in that game.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    Oh I'm a highly dedicated GW2 player, have an 80 warrior and am working on a guardian too. I just like variety and whatnot, figured I'd check this out abit. If the zones endup not fun to explore in the end then this likely won't hold my attention long. But I paid my 5$ so I guess I'll just find out!

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I installed Combat Mod in GW2, because it makes the combat feel a bit more like TERA's.
    Just a bit. Enough to not make me hate grenade kit quite as much.

I'm tempted to resub TERA for a month, but I don't really want to play it alone and I was about 10 levels above all my friends when I unsubbed, even if I manage to get them back. Don't suppose there's a mentoring system in the game now, so I can still play with them?

Glal on
    Hrm well I've played a few classes through the tutorial and messed around at low level in the newbie zone and...I can't say I really am am digging the combat system much. To me GW2's combat feels much more fluid and interesting. :/

Going to give it alittle time but I'm thinking this game probably isn't for me. Ahh well...

Make a Slayer, stick with the game past the first island. When the mobs actually start hurting and you need to learn how to use your abilities to avoid damage, rather than just shrug and mash your big attack, that's when the game shines.

edited December 2012
    I tried my level 50 something warrior and just couldn't get back into the combat at all... I didn't feel the hits like I used to, and died without really knowing what was going on. The visual feedback was not at all as strong as I remembered.

So I made a new character and chose slayer, which seems to be similar to warrior but slower, so I have time to think. Newbie area felt fun again. I could see the impacts and the effects. We'll see how long it will last.

Btw, I'm using a 360 gamepad. I can't imagine playing this game without one.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    I might try a 360 gamepad myself, see if that helps some. I really hate the UI and the whole constant mouse look thing. It's hard to explain, because I play stuff like Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalaur which is essentially the same thing, but it feels weird here and really annoys me for some reason.

I couldn't stand playing it with the gamepad. It works, but it just feels too imprecise. I guess it depends on how used you are to mouselook&keyboard controls versus gamepad controls, if you're not used to PC action games that control this way it'll feel weird.

I always viewed it like playing a third person shooter, especially the ranged classes. That being the case, mouse and keyboard is where it's at for me.

Steam
    edited December 2012
    But the arrows are homing in this game, right? At least, missiles from AI controlled enemies are (which is why I loathe anything ranged in Tera... it "breaks" the feeling that the close combat establishes).

eobet on
    Certain attacks are homing, some aren't.

Steam
    I played for months with the gamepad then switched to the NAGA.... Suffice to say I never went back

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Massive patch in korea!

Game turned free to play with premium subs kinda deal.
    Federation is gone, world divided into 3 large factions with world siege and pvp dailies.
    10-20 man end game raids that don't suck like traverse.
    New consumables and mechanics like stealth and hulk smash buff.
    New vanarch system that goes by contribution points and exarch system who can create large scale events whatever that means.

Also, they re-announced that the giant server versus server flying magical city and the last continent as still in the works; they just needed to fix the political system before.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Any word on when or if this game will go free to play?

I find myself missing it often enough, but it's just not worth a subscription.

WANG is once again vanarch! \o/

GMs said that even though it's probably inevitable, it won't be soon in NA.
    The current chronoscroll model already makes it so incredibly easy to play for free.
    Get to 60, do a few runs a day, end up with enough gold to buy 6 months of gametime in one week.

...or waste 10 times that much gold trying to get +11 in 20 minutes.

edited December 2012
    To be honest, despite what En Masse said about NA Tera not going to be f2p anytime soon, it's almost inevitable that's the direction it's heading towards. But NA Tera is practically f2p right now anyway because of Chronoscrolls.

Maywind on
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I had fun with Tera when I was playing, but since I got a Mac recently I let my subscription lapse. If they ever come up with a Mac client I'll be back in :D

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    Stupid Tera... it broke all other MMOs for me...

Now I try other MMOs and the combat in them almost feels like old school Final Fantasy games... turn-based, with the characters waving their weapons in 3 feet away from the mob.

Good news about F2P... I've played maybe two or three nights since my reactivation. Made sure to cancel today.

When it was new, the combat was amazing, but now that I've tried it again, I see the flaws and it just reeks too much of WoW now which I can't stand to go back to after GW2.

Hopefully someone will marry the GW2 events and accessibility with the combat of Tera one day.

edited January 2013
    NA Tera to go F2P in February: http://support.enmasse.com/tera/tera-rising-play-for-free

Re. GW2 vs Tera, I was the opposite. I couldn't really get into GW2 because its combat was so inferior compared to Tera's in my opinion. The "dynamic" events in GW2 were just regular quests in disguise. I played GW2 for only a few days, then came back to Tera. Certain aspects of GW2 were extremely well thought out and well designed though, but they weren't enough to keep me playing.

Maywind on
    edited January 2013
    The non-combat aspects of TERA were a bit too shallow for me to sub for (mainly because all of my friends stopped playing it and alone is boring), but I'll happily come back when it hits F2P. Heck, I'll be happy to toss a few monies their way now and then if they're smart with their shop. Now here's hoping Frogster doesn't fuck it up.

...oh who am I kidding, Frogster fuck everything up. It took me 2 months to get access to my early start character name. :(

[edit] I am actually tempted to buy an NA copy of TERA to preempt Frogster's inevitable terrible implementation of F2P.

Glal on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I am quite excited to hear that TERA is going to go F2P soon, and I'll almost definitely be coming back to play when it does. I agree with @Maywind that the combat in GW2 never felt special to me, while in TERA I could just freaking run out and kill stuff all day. I did get kinda bored with the rather confined feeling that the zones gave me and that the quest structure is pretty stale, but if I'm not paying a monthly fee, I'll happy rejoin for the combat.

I just hope that the 'buy to play' model that GW2 has made popular and that The Secret World has adopted is what TERA uses, and not the F2P type where you technically can play for free but are so limited that it isn't worth doing without a subscription. The latter option will not result in this game getting anything out of me.

Edit: After reading through the link posted above, it seems that 'free' accounts aren't too limited, which is good, and that Founders actually get some cool benefits. Here is what the website says about Founder:

If you are a current subscriber, founders status lets you keep all the perks you've come to appreciate in the game-only without the subscription. The only way to get founder status is to redeem your copy of TERA. If you have, your account will permanently be granted the founder status, regardless of whether or not you currently play TERA. There is no other way to acquire founder status.

The bolded part confuses me, though... what does it mean to redeem your copy of TERA?

Toxic Pickle on
    Time for an OP change!

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

Good news with the F2P and it looks like they're following LoTRO's lead with sensible free to play, not SWTOR's fail to play. Heck, I'll even buy something from the item shop; always thought my Lancer would look good in a string bikini, the less clothing, the higher the AC right?

A big update was dropping with the korean version I heard outside of the adjustable difficulty wasn't it?
    Apparently the federation is split into 3 factions now? annnnd reading up to the top of this very page seems that was correct! Reading comp for the win!

This discussion has been closed.