As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Expired accounts have been reactivated until 11:59pm Pacific on Jan 16.

http://tera.enmasse.com/free
    "Can't wait? We’ve added game time to your account so you can get back in the swing of things before the big update in February. (Accounts will be active until 11:59 p.m. PST on January 16."

Maywind on
    Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    LoTR was great in that you could play to cap without having to buy anything and not be totally boned (action bars?). The extra adventure packs helped, sure, but they weren't crucial - I made it to Moria without them and then bought the Moria expansion and got them as a result. The other thing was you could buy stuff with the points you earned just playing the game.

Zipped through a level last night in comfy couch mode, got it running on the TV and played with the 360 controller. Works reasonably well, didn't feel comfortable enough to solo any BAMs as my lancer, and that new shield fatique bar or whatever it is is new since I played last. Didn't use half my buttons, but thankfully my old chains were setup and still intact so didn't have to do much that way.

Nosf on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Huh, the EU F2P chart doesn't actually look too bad. At a glance, it only appears to lack a special reward mount. Frankly, I expected more of a disaster from Frogster, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Huh, the EU F2P chart doesn't actually look too bad. At a glance, it only appears to lack a special reward mount. Frankly, I expected more of a disaster from Frogster, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

So,what exactly keeps EU from getting a mount?
    Are we second class citizens? Are our PCs not able to handle the pure POWER needed to show the special mount?
    Seriously, this is bullshit.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    It's Frogster, I'm just happy they're not restricting vets to 1 character, half an action bar and 30 minutes of gameplay a day. I would not put it past them.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Is there an RP server or are they all just general servers? If not I guess I'll join the one everyone else is on with my wife so I can bug people for dungeons as she's not always a fan.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    There is a RP server, Celestial Hills (PVE). Note though since it's so RP-focused (and therefore the least populated), there are not very many people running endgame dungeons and broker prices for endgame gear (if available) are the highest of the 3 servers.

The current servers:
    Tempest Reach (PVE) - high population, home of WANG
    Celestial Hills (RP-PVE) - medium population
    Mount Tyrannas (PVP) - high population

EME said they plan to add new servers once Tera goes f2p, but nothing more is known at this point.

Maywind on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Gave the trial a shot, not sold on it yet. Could be that the trial just kinda sucks. Made a ferret bezerker and played with a 360 controller, was expecting the movement during combat to be more, I dont know.. fluid? Maybe I have been playing too much AC lately and it is tainting the experience.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Gave the trial a shot, not sold on it yet. Could be that the trial just kinda sucks. Made a ferret bezerker and played with a 360 controller, was expecting the movement during combat to be more, I dont know.. fluid? Maybe I have been playing too much AC lately and it is tainting the experience.

For fluid melee combat, I'd recommend warrior. Warrior really blossoms once you hit level 28 and later on at level 42. It's my favorite melee class precisely because of its fluid movement.

Berzerker's movement isn't really supposed to be "fluid", you wield a big, heavy, clunky axe in plate armor. The animation is designed for you to feel the weight and heft of the weapon.

Maywind on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Ok thanks for the info. You're awfully helpful, Maywind.

• Options
    Nyht wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the info. You're awfully helpful, Maywind.

No problem! Happy to help. :)

• Options
    Maywind wrote: »

For fluid melee combat, I'd recommend warrior. Warrior really blossoms once you hit level 28 and later on at level 42. It's my favorite melee class precisely because of its fluid movement.

Berzerker's movement isn't really supposed to be "fluid", you wield a big, heavy, clunky axe in plate armor. The animation is designed for you to feel the weight and heft of the weapon.

I mean more moving around the target itself, circling around them and avoiding the attacks. I think they get the weight of the weapon and the delay in swinging it down very well. Is the movement side just something I am doing wrong can you target a single guy and circle around them?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular

I mean more moving around the target itself, circling around them and avoiding the attacks. I think they get the weight of the weapon and the delay in swinging it down very well. Is the movement side just something I am doing wrong can you target a single guy and circle around them?

you should be able to. Game is hitbox based so collision becomes an issue sometimes. There is the issue of combat speed though. Berzerkers just don't have much of it.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Have Mystics changed any? They were interesting when I left (3 months post release), but they sort of got stuck in "shit solo PVE" and "drop pellets in dungeons", which wasn't really mechanically fun.

Nope, mystics haven't changed at all.

That's a bit of a killer for me, since I really don't want to level another character, and Mystics were... yeesh, really boring.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Yes you can on a warrior, take a look at a few videos:

Advanced Warrior Guide
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZTX31fGtk

Warrior Bam Solo Rotation by @Lepwave
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNsOv3beuo

Maywind on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Everyone knows that Archers are the best. EVERYONE

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Everyone knows that Archers Poporis are the best. EVERYONE

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Berserkers don't dodge so much as block. Most other classes have a quick avoidance button to press to get away.

• Options
    Play a Slayer or Warrior if you want mobility. Slayers are all about evasion tanking, you're made of paper and rely entirely on your CCs and mobility to survive whilst juggling your attack chains. It's incredibly fun (and has spoiled other MMOs' combat for me).
    And don't judge the game based on the starting island. Mobs do hardly any damage, encouraging lazy, max-DPS play.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Play a Slayer or Warrior if you want mobility. Slayers Warriors are all about evasion tanking, you're made of paper and rely entirely on your CCs and mobility to survive whilst juggling your attack chains. It's incredibly fun (and has spoiled other MMOs' combat for me).
    And don't judge the game based on the starting island. Mobs do hardly any damage, encouraging lazy, max-DPS play.

Fixed that. :)

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Yeah, but Slayers are more fun. So nyeh. ;)

• Options
    Thanks guys, i'll try a warrior or a slayer next then likely a ranged class

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I really want to echo that A) Berserkers aren't the best example of combat mobility and you should try Slayer or Warrior if you want to be melee and dodge attacks (as mentioned, Berserkers are like Lancers in that their survivability comes from blocking), and B) You should get off the starter island. If you want to feel what TERA's combat is really like, get to around 18 (this doesn't take that long, I swear) and try fighting a Basilisk, or get to 20 and fight all those dudes in Celestial Hills. Then you'll understand why people keep talking about the combat in this game. The really great thing is, it's the most fun to fight with other people BUT if you can't find somebody else (you almost always can though), you can solo an enemy and feel like a badass, it's just slower and harder than taking them out with a group.

Man I want to play this again SO BADLY now that it will cost me nothing, but I promised myself I wouldn't MMO AT ALL this semester. :( Soooo tempting... I would love to get my fabulous Slayer going again, and maybe get a feel for Archer as well. I've been jonesing for the game since I quit to focus on school, and now it's free for crying out loud! FFFFF.

Essee on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    What the heck, might as well re-download and play around again with it. Pretty sure I've got a not-Mystic sitting around near the end of the starter area...

*fires up downloader*

...Well, it might be done downloading by the time the 16'th rolls around... <_<

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Essee wrote: »
    Yeah, I really want to echo that A) Berserkers aren't the best example of combat mobility and you should try Slayer or Warrior if you want to be melee and dodge attacks (as mentioned, Berserkers are like Lancers in that their survivability comes from blocking), and B) You should get off the starter island. If you want to feel what TERA's combat is really like, get to around 18 (this doesn't take that long, I swear) and try fighting a Basilisk, or get to 20 and fight all those dudes in Celestial Hills. Then you'll understand why people keep talking about the combat in this game. The really great thing is, it's the most fun to fight with other people BUT if you can't find somebody else (you almost always can though), you can solo an enemy and feel like a badass, it's just slower and harder than taking them out with a group.

Man I want to play this again SO BADLY now that it will cost me nothing, but I promised myself I wouldn't MMO AT ALL this semester. :( Soooo tempting... I would love to get my fabulous Slayer going again, and maybe get a feel for Archer as well. I've been jonesing for the game since I quit to focus on school, and now it's free for crying out loud! FFFFF.

I was literally playing some free demo thing, starts you at level 20 and I think just puts you in an instanced single player dungeon, just wanted to get a general idea before I bought it to get the founder thing. If the zerker is a blocker then i'll try some more mobile classes.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I was literally playing some free demo thing, starts you at level 20 and I think just puts you in an instanced single player dungeon, just wanted to get a general idea before I bought it to get the founder thing. If the zerker is a blocker then i'll try some more mobile classes.

That's the way the game starts. They do sort of an abili-tease where you start your character at level 20, go through a shipwreck Island and then after you've completed that you drop down to level one and start the game for realsies. I think they put that in so you could play around with the class at level 20 to see if you liked it's playstyle before dropping you down to level one and giving you like one ability to play with.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Which is great in theory, but in practice you don't have enough time to do more than read the abilities and wonder how they're supposed to work (since you don't know the class enough to grasp their utility), then just mash attacks on the 10 or so enemies. Aside from "Slayers dodge!" and "Lancers block!" I took little from that island.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Can we download the client from the official website? All I have is the downloader from when amazon had that sale.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    Should have a download link on your account page on the enmasse website.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Mr. Floof may yet be reborn.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »

That's the way the game starts. They do sort of an abili-tease where you start your character at level 20, go through a shipwreck Island and then after you've completed that you drop down to level one and start the game for realsies. I think they put that in so you could play around with the class at level 20 to see if you liked it's playstyle before dropping you down to level one and giving you like one ability to play with.

I actually forgot about this and basically really wish that demo didn't exist. It's kind of interesting as a story set-piece, but other than that I find it waaaayyy more confusing than helpful for new players. The free trial (as it is right now) lets you get up to the level I'm talking about and really feel how the game works, and your progress will carry over when the game goes free-to-play, so. That's what I would recommend you try. I mean, yeah, you already have that demo so you can sort of try out how Slayers work on the guy at the end, but I would personally recommend just playing the actual game to see how it is. It doesn't take too long to get to the appropriate level, and then you can happily decide whether you want to get Founder status or not.

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    While we're at it.
    If you plan on playing tera and solo occasionally, I highly recommend you do NOT pick a mystic as your first class to play.

Try a slayer/warrior for melee, a sorc for ranged, or a priest if you'd rather heal. Lancers also suffer from a little soloing blues but unlike mystics, they've been vastly improved over time and they can still solo bams as well as any of the above.

• Options

I actually forgot about this and basically really wish that demo didn't exist. It's kind of interesting as a story set-piece, but other than that I find it waaaayyy more confusing than helpful for new players. The free trial (as it is right now) lets you get up to the level I'm talking about and really feel how the game works, and your progress will carry over when the game goes free-to-play, so. That's what I would recommend you try. I mean, yeah, you already have that demo so you can sort of try out how Slayers work on the guy at the end, but I would personally recommend just playing the actual game to see how it is. It doesn't take too long to get to the appropriate level, and then you can happily decide whether you want to get Founder status or not.

Yea its pretty jarring, starts you off by doing a bunch of "talk to X" tasks and then finally you climb some ladders and fight some skeletons about 10 minutes later.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Yeah mystic was my first class. You will suffer immensely trying to solo in the mid-50s

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    I feel bad for not continuing to play this game past the trial when it had a subscription fee as I have no income just yet. But I'm super excited to play it again next month! I loved what I saw of it. And WANG are very nice guys. ~<3

• Options
    The weekend is upon us and that means I have free time suddenly. An overhaul of the OP is forthcoming with all this f2p stuff

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    I forgot how good this game looks. Really, in my mind, it's the best looking MMO out there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I forgot how good this game looks. Really, in my mind, it's the best looking MMO out there.

Just don't look at the 'grass' outside of the first city.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Just don't look at the 'grass' outside of the first city.

That vast expanse of nothing outside the first city is just weird. It screams "newbie yard" and yet there's nothing there to fight, no quests take you there, and the first time you leave the capitol it's on the back of a pegasus.

• Options
    I wonder if there was something there in kTERA. Aside from the super-pointless mount quest (and good riddance).

This discussion has been closed.