As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    So I got my mount yesterday, though I log in today and it says my subscription expired. I know it's a pretty common bug ATM but until it's fixed I can't play =(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    it SHOULD be fixed but I think you have to set up your subscription again.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    I "tanked" SM for a guild group with a really wide level spread (zerker was 6 levels above me with an enchanted gold weapon) but they put up with me and the healer kept me alive and it was silly fun.

I definitly need to look into actually tanking, though.

Afraid i was a bit of a leroy jenkins, but no one ever got too low on the party meters.

• Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    So guys, lets talk dungeons.
    On an unrelated note, my work schedule has restarted this week so I'm going to be rather scarce ingame during the evening hours. I don't see this changing anytime soon and I'll play it by ear and try my best, but I may actually have to appoint officers soon to handle guild business while I'm away from my home computer and working for the man.

I am on entirely too many hours a day from now until something else shiny catches my eye, and am happy to help in whatever way needed (though I normally play late night hours). Also, I nominate Duckets. Though he is not a rabbit on the outside, I feel he has the spirit of one on the inside.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So how is that guild situation going? :)

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    I have never once seen dps gauges used for anything in any mmo every as anything but a tool to harass those who aren't playing min/max 5000: the video game.

Really? Never? And you're calling other people's posts biased?

People should be harassed for being bad. Or they won't know they are bad. If they don't want to be harassed they should stop being bad. Or they can not care, whatever. I want to see my dps, and I want to see other people's dps. If another warrior in a group is doing a substantial amount more damage than me, I'd love to know why. Nothing wrong with that. If the Berserker in my group is doing 30% my dps, I'd like ot know why. Nothing wrong with that either.

Except when people act a cunt about it. Which is all the time. Ever.

Gear checks are in. put up skill icons and you'll know what people are doing. That is all you will ever need to be able to do raids.

Dps meters never teach anyone anything except how to fap furiously at big numbers while ignoring being actually useful. I'd rather the dps learn positioning, stunning and how to conserve certain cooldowns to draw aggro if something goes south and you have to kite four the healer. Tera is far more an active thing then just "don't stand on the circle" wowism.

But, no, people just want dps meters and fapfapfapfapfap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One of the goons summed it up pretty good I think
    Playing like WoW boss fights is wrong. Having the mentality of "TOP OF THE DAMAGE METER RAWR" is stupid and will get you killed. This was evident when I ran GL with Lux and Goku. The berserker that ran it died repeatedly because he didn't time his attacks well. I spent a bunch of time running around waiting for the boss to "settle down", my health to come back up, to position myself correctly, etc. Consequently, if I were worried about my DPS output, I probably would have died repeatedly. However, I'm pretty sure Lux and Goku could have tanked the boss indefinitely, so there was no need for me to be so concerned about my DPS.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    So how is that guild situation going? :)

list is compiled mostly I think. I should be done pruning people by tonight I"m hoping. Of course I have to wait until I'm actually home before I can do it. So that will probably be in another 5-ish hours.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    people are shit heels about everything online. kind of comes with the territory unfortunately, mmos have always had communities built on low self-esteem, elitism, and narcissism.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Check out Gabe's news post today! :D

Wonder who he is and what server he's on...

Here are my thoughts on story in themepark MMOs...

In any game, the story is only ever as valid as it is TRUE. In the case of themepark MMOs, the story is a straight up lie.

The quest NPC says "These lizardmen keep attacking us! Please kill 10 of them!" but you can watch those lizardmen for hours and plainly see that they never do anything but mill around in that field...endlessly...

The lie gets bigger in faction-based games like WoW or SWTOR. Guess what? No matter how many of the enemy you kill, nothing changes. It's a war that stays static and unchanging until the moment the developer decides, "Okay, this city here was sacked." with absolutely no effort or influence from the players.

They can say "Game mechanics, blah, blah" until hell freezes over: if the game mechanics aren't going to allow for it, don't lie to me in the first place by acting as though my actions are meaningful, even though they clearly aren't.

And frankly, games where you "kill the big badguy" are a colossal insult to the intelligence of the player. We all know that we didn't ACTUALLY kill him, and we know that because we go back next week to do it again.

Want to know what the story in Tera is going to be? It's when WANG and BMC have to team up and ally with other guilds to take on the Goons in the elections as we struggle against them for control over the server. THAT is Tera's REAL storyline, and it's going to be more interesting and meaningful than all of the repeatable content in every other themepark MMO ever made.

This is why quests in GW2 are soooo good

When you kill X bandits, the bandits surrender or run away. When you blow up enough centaur supplies, the army (that has been futily attacking them the whole time) manages to push forward and burn their settlements down, even opening a new town if you push them all the way back (until they eventually push back in)

override367 on
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    GL is lucky I got hell of drops in there or I would straight up burn that fucker to the ground.

• Options
    I think my problem will invariably be people ignoring others for the sake of their own dps.

Say you're a slayer, rolling your dick on your max deeps macro. The tank smacks the boss as its winding up and its stunned! You see your berserker run in, axe a shining, but the boss gets up/unstuns. Max derpstards will just keep flogging that macro with their penis to keep on top of the chart. people who spend more time worrying about team work will whip out their stuns and chain stun the boss long enough for the zerk to pop an awesome 6 digit crit and run back out. The latter not really helping the slayers deeps personally and something the Mighty Gauge will never teach anyone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GL is lucky I got hell of drops in there or I would straight up burn that fucker to the ground.

Dude that place was so cruel for reals. I don't know if the Big Buddha or the Vulcan was the worst.

• Options
    Weekly maintenace got postponed until tomorrow it looks like. Wonder what's up

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Tried to renew sub, looks like it didn't take at all =/ Hope they fix this soon.

ChuckNorrisTypeR on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Are there DPS meters for the game? I haven't really looked into any mods at all or delved into the interface options yet

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    No. Or, not yet at least, see people arguing about it the past two pages.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm looking forward to whatever is after SM. Almost to 32 on my lancer and enjoying the tanking, but the actual solo grind is really starting to stretch out. some of the normal grind mobs can take over a minute to kill and that's with the blue lance from sm.

Oh well, its totally worth it for the chance to tank, its great being able to actually run up and stand between the boss and your healer who its rezzing a downed deeps and it actually stop them.

Man when Tera is good, its good.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Helloween4545 and me taking down two BAMs (one is a world boss) with our warrior and sorcerer.
    Two POVs for your viewing pleasure (although Hell's video turned out weird)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb--J9sLhuc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VS2Vc37U4

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Is dragonfall down for anyone else? I can connect to every server but that one.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Paragon and I were in a dungeon when everything froze up. Looks like it's down, even if it's not showing up as down right now on their server status. Boooo.

• Options
    I just had my brother start playing this. He left tutorial land and was in newbie land. Everything frooze up and he was all, "NOoOOooOooOoo!"

I think he may like the game. :P

• Options
    edited May 2012
    For anyone else waiting, it is back up.

Edit - Damn it, rolled back to before my BAM soloing.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    After about 30 min I got an email saying the sub I setup finally went through, logged in again and it worked!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    You guys all win. I was hoping to try it before I bought it, but with the weak Euro, how can I even resist anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    So when do the mobs start getting significantly harder to fight? I'm L36 atm, and while there are definitely some jumpy mobs, even as a Lancer I can defeat them pretty easily. Yet my friend's guild has a Lancer that says by like L50 there are mobs that are so jumpy it takes him 5mins to kill them. I just haven't seen this to be the case at all; as long as you remember you have Leash, the charge move, your stun, and block-cancel attacks to compensate for enemy movement.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Gear checks are in. put up skill icons and you'll know what people are doing. That is all you will ever need to be able to do raids.

Dps meters never teach anyone anything except how to fap furiously at big numbers while ignoring being actually useful. I'd rather the dps learn positioning, stunning and how to conserve certain cooldowns to draw aggro if something goes south and you have to kite four the healer. Tera is far more an active thing then just "don't stand on the circle" wowism.

Do you only PUG when you play?

When I group with friends in any MMO, we use teamwork, voice chat and know that top DPS isn't everything. However DPS meters help us improve on what we are doing.

In Tera, it is damn important to do many other things than just get top DPS, but real skill comes from doing good DPS while avoiding all damage at the same time. Its pretty easy in Tera to "just dodge" on a boss all day if you aren't worried about doing DPS.

DPS meters just let people gauge how they are playing. I agree that some people use it cause it makes them feel superior, but thats why I asked if you only PUG since its only random strangers who really abuse DPS meters.

If you are so against gauging how you are doing... why have a HP bar? Or why should we know how much mana we have?

Also its just text. When someone in an MMO with public meters posts DPS numbers... its just text. You might want to step back and calm down over MMO's if TEXT is giving you that much hate for such a simple little feature.

edit: Oh and I play a warrior... so I'm mobile as fuck while keeping my DPS going (or tanking). So all that stupid shit you see slayers do that gets them killed, warrior can do it without taking damage.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »
    So, uh, crafting is pretty useless, huh?

While leveling yes.

It was ok now and then, as I made some pretty good swords in the 20-30 range that were better than anything quested or from a dungeon.
    However to make those it required a decent number of runes and some runes off of BAMs. Soloing Kumas got me the runes quick enough... but worth the time? Not really. Only slightly higher stats that will last me a few levels isn't worthwhile IMO.

I'm 49 now and was looking at what I can craft vs. some swords on the broker for like 10 gold and the broker ones have waaaay better stats and 10 gold is far cheaper than the runes to make some crappy swords.

Endgame enchantable stuff might be great though when crafted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote: »

Do you only PUG when you play?

When I group with friends in any MMO, we use teamwork, voice chat and know that top DPS isn't everything. However DPS meters help us improve on what we are doing.

In Tera, it is damn important to do many other things than just get top DPS, but real skill comes from doing good DPS while avoiding all damage at the same time. Its pretty easy in Tera to "just dodge" on a boss all day if you aren't worried about doing DPS.

DPS meters just let people gauge how they are playing. I agree that some people use it cause it makes them feel superior, but thats why I asked if you only PUG since its only random strangers who really abuse DPS meters.

If you are so against gauging how you are doing... why have a HP bar? Or why should we know how much mana we have?

Also its just text. When someone in an MMO with public meters posts DPS numbers... its just text. You might want to step back and calm down over MMO's if TEXT is giving you that much hate for such a simple little feature.

edit: Oh and I play a warrior... so I'm mobile as fuck while keeping my DPS going (or tanking). So all that stupid shit you see slayers do that gets them killed, warrior can do it without taking damage.

A) Good on you that you have some kind of tight group, go play monster hunter. If you're going to be able to play with the same 5 people every single time, why even play a MMO?

B) Pugging is a way of life for a huge majority of people, its stated in guild chat and here quite often. It just happens. Most people don't have a whole squad of friends, or even often enough guildies, to fill a full party.

C) Your average pug already gets uppity about just some shit they read on a forum about certain classes (OMG ARCHER AND ZERK AND LANCER AND PRIEST ARE WORTHLESS TROLOLOL WARRIOR/SLAYER/MYSTIC ONRY.. Yeah, I've run into this a few times.) You think somehow giving them a gauge they can wave around at people isn't going to just make this worse and more annoying for everyone but people like you with a static?

D) Like I said, if its just for personal use, /great/, there is just absolutely 0 reason to give anyone else access to your DPS though. Thats just annoying and no, 'getting on people' about doing poorly isn't constructive or useful in any real sense, because most people are just dicks about it and being a dick teaches nobody anything, and anyone with a modicum of ability, skill or common sense can tell when someone is doing badly even without a gauge and offer decent advice if they are so inclined. Why doesn't everyone have access to your credit score? If you're shitty with money I think everyone in life should have access to how shitty you are, you use money all day long, around other people, and with other people!!1111one.

E) A lot of things are just text. Thats a pretty stupid excuse. Being fired is just text. Identity theft is often just text. death sentences. Doctor diagnosis, police tickets, your wife sending you a text saying she's banging the garbage man. Just text, cool story bro, none of it matters right?

F) I dont even think TERA shows you others combat log anyway, so I think Bluehole, as most korean grindfest MMO makers, probably realized people are dumb and dont need others damage numbers and such because it causes undue annoyance for all involved except those who want to wave penises around.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    If you pay a monthly fee for a game, they might as well give you the option of looking down on bad players. Seriously, I would feel uncomfortable about subbing for an extra month if I can't show others how bad they are compared to my fabulous sorcerer.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ITT we learn that only one side of an argument can have merit.

Damage meters don't create assholes out of thin air, they just give them another tool. Play better or get thicker skin if you're going to keep playing games on the internet.

People have also done PvE content without damage meters perfectly well in plenty of MMOs, so it won't be the end of the world if they don't implement them.

From my perspective, I like damage meters because they give me a benchmark to achieve a personal best on each successive attempt on the same encounter - this helps break up the monotony for me. I understand why it's not for everyone though.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The fucking DPS meters almost broke my last venture into WoW. One of our group members was bloody obsessed with them and started whinging every time another party member did more. It was either because "the other class was OP" (which is annoying to listen to) or he started getting depressed and didn't want to play any more (which, in a game without a mentoring system, means that's it for the night).

• Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    So, if I want to roll a healbot, do I want to be a Mystic or a Priest. Those orbs being ignored sound irritating...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    So, if I want to roll a healbot, do I want to be a Mystic or a Priest. Those orbs being ignored sound irritating...

Healbot is a Priest.

Mystic is heals/support.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Against my better judgement I took a dive in to the official forums.

I... I think I need to lay down now.

• Options
    E) A lot of things are just text. Thats a pretty stupid excuse. Being fired is just text. Identity theft is often just text. death sentences. Doctor diagnosis, police tickets, your wife sending you a text saying she's banging the garbage man. Just text, cool story bro, none of it matters right?

This is exactly why I said you might need to take a step back and calm down over MMOs.

If you honestly think TEXT in a fake video game world is equal to the things you listed, then you have what we call an online gaming addiction. You need to get grounded back in reality if you think TEXT in a video game is even close to any of that. Each of those things carries a real life result, someone posting DPS meter TEXT only has real life impact if you are so obsessed that you let it.

Just like this text in my post right now, if you don't like it... dont respond and go about your day. I promise you reading what I am posting will not steal your identity, sentence you to death, reveal cancer in your ass.... etc.

Btw, I wont argue that people do indeed use DPS meters to feel superior and stroke their epeen. Thats not new and ever MMO thread has this same debate, and as usual a few people who can't deal with TEXT get all uppity about it. I do PUG all the time and 90% of them are decent players who I have no problems with. The other 10% of the time I just leave the group and go on with my day. But you and I are different, because that 10% seems to have caused your illegitimate child to get cancer after being sentenced to death when the police pulled him over for speeding and having his identity mixed up with some person posting DPS meters in an MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Yeah anyway...does anyone know why you can't apply to the guild anymore despite the list only showing 177 members? And weren't there over 220 members last night? o_O

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    naptime_by_krysan-d4ypd3m.png

edit- Found this wile subjecting myself to the official forums.

Axen on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    "It's just a game" is a bad argument from either side of this discussion because the whole point of an MMO is interacting with other people. Real people, with feelings. I mean, in real life, doesn't somebody you don't know being a jackass to you (even, or maybe especially, if you decide to leave the place because they're being a jackass) piss you off during the jackassery or after it's happened? Maybe put you in a bad mood for a while? The fact that it's text really doesn't mean anything. People are bothered in real life when people say stupid stuff, even if they know the person who's saying it is an idiot, so I don't really see how an MMO is any different aside from the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory making it more likely you'll find idiots.
    Yeah anyway...does anyone know why you can't apply to the guild anymore despite the list only showing 177 members? And weren't there over 220 members last night? o_O

Check the top of the OP, I'm guessing Beezel/Montague isn't done paring down our alts yet. I think people can still invite you manually if you message them in-game?

• Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    This is why quests in GW2 are soooo good

When you kill X bandits, the bandits surrender or run away. When you blow up enough centaur supplies, the army (that has been futily attacking them the whole time) manages to push forward and burn their settlements down, even opening a new town if you push them all the way back (until they eventually push back in)

1. That sounds a lot like WoW's phasing.

2. If it's only seen by you, then it's still a LIE.

Somewhere along the line, MMOs stopped being "persistent multiplayer worlds" and became "single player experiences where other players happen to be running around as well". SWTOR is an excellent example of this.

I have no actual idea as to why people want to play MMOs as single player games, but they do. My only guess is that they want to "ride that shit through Ironforge", as it were, but don't want to actually talk to another player in game.

This discussion has been closed.