As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I think TERA is the first game since WoW vanilla that triggers the "this feels like a living world I want to explore" instinct in me.
    Question to the gatherers out there, how high level do you need to be to max out the gathering skills? I'd really dig that halo you get for 300 Mining, but if I need to be level capped to get there I might as well not bother with it until then.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    I think TERA is the first game since WoW vanilla that triggers the "this feels like a living world I want to explore" instinct in me.
    Question to the gatherers out there, how high level do you need to be to max out the gathering skills? I'd really dig that halo you get for 300 Mining, but if I need to be level capped to get there I might as well not bother with it until then.

you should be able to max gathering skills around the high 40s-early 50s. The tier 5 nodes appear around Kaiator I think.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    HotcookieHotcookie Registered User regular
    Can any1 tell me what sorceror is like later game. I levelled a Slayer to lvl 20 but wasn't keen on fighting melee against harder mobs. I;ve enjoyed my sorc up to 24 but I get owned so bad 1on1 with a slayer which makes me think I've taken a step backwards.

I hear people talking about a spell called celestial? I also heard people say the game really opens up for sorcs at a certain level where they just become a nuke machine, and although my damage is good now My archer friend hits for more at a similar level....

Some1 who has played sorc to late game tell me to stick it out rather than cave and go back to Slayer...

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Burst of Celerity- lvl 48

It increases your attack speed and apparently makes Sorcs Gods among men when it's active.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    HotcookieHotcookie Registered User regular
    oh right 48 here we come :P

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So I have a friend and co-worker who I've gamed with in the past, and over the course of the betas I've told him how great TERA is. He thought it was 'too Korean', an opinion solidified by him feeling burned after purchasing Aion long ago. He also did not believe at all that an MMO could have action and player skill-based combat. I kept at it, never suggesting he play the game but just mentioning things that I've done, and one night last week I get a text from him, "I'm here in Best Buy and TERA is right here in front of me..."

So he purchases it with encouragement from me, and we've been duoing a bunch, especially yesterday (Saturday). His wife, who didn't want to buy the game because she's in a very intensive college class and also working full time, watched us play until her will absolutely shattered and she had to download the game and get in to play with us as a bunny Elin.

My own wife, who is not a gamer, had a friend over yesterday. As I was sitting there playing, I heard a voice behind me, "What game are you playing?" I explained it to her and she, apparently, had also played Aion. After watching us play a bit, now she is chomping at the bit to buy TERA.

It's spreading, my friends.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The game really is fun when you get into it but I really really wish it wasn't this standard, years old MMO trope.
    This combat in a completely differently designed world would make for a top class game with huge appeal. I mean, be honest right now, the first 15 or even 20 levels of this game could just be skipped or shrunk down to 1/3 of the time it takes to do them and nothing of value would be lost.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Playing as a Sorc in cramped quarters and walls everywhere and super low respawn timers is..... interesting. Normally I take almost no damage when grinding quests, but right now? Ouch. This is as intense as it can be annoying.

Kite. Kite. Respawn adds. Fuck. Knockdown. Fuck. Teleport retreat.... into respawn adds. FUCK.

I'm looking at you Pirate's Grotto.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    The game really is fun when you get into it but I really really wish it wasn't this standard, years old MMO trope.
    This combat in a completely differently designed world would make for a top class game with huge appeal. I mean, be honest right now, the first 15 or even 20 levels of this game could just be skipped or shrunk down to 1/3 of the time it takes to do them and nothing of value would be lost.

I do agree with you for the most part, and I think EME could have at least spiced it up a bit with some lower-level BAM fights, another dungeon, or something.

Personally, I don't have that much trouble with lowbie areas because the combat is so fun, I just look at it as a speed run. I don't read quests, just click through and grab them as quickly as possible, and figure out the most efficient way to burn through an area with no wasted effort, but with lots and lots of unnecessary killing (as in, I kill way more than the required number of mobs, often aggroing as many as I can at once).

Also, a game that lets me play a pipe-smoking bulldog Popori Mystic named Sluggo is alright with me.

• Options
    Playing as a Sorc in cramped quarters and walls everywhere and super low respawn timers is..... interesting. Normally I take almost no damage when grinding quests, but right now? Ouch. This is as intense as it can be annoying.

Kite. Kite. Respawn adds. Fuck. Knockdown. Fuck. Teleport retreat.... into respawn adds. FUCK.

I'm looking at you Pirate's Grotto.

Imagine how annoying that would be as a slower killing class like a Priest or a Mystic!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

I do agree with you for the most part, and I think EME could have at least spiced it up a bit with some lower-level BAM fights, another dungeon, or something.

Personally, I don't have that much trouble with lowbie areas because the combat is so fun, I just look at it as a speed run. I don't read quests, just click through and grab them as quickly as possible, and figure out the most efficient way to burn through an area with no wasted effort, but with lots and lots of unnecessary killing (as in, I kill way more than the required number of mobs, often aggroing as many as I can at once).

Also, a game that lets me play a pipe-smoking bulldog Popori Mystic named Sluggo is alright with me.

The combat is fun but the fights are not. I don't need to kill 50 monsters who barely move and have attacks so slow my Grandma could dodge them.
    I'm not saying cut out the learning content, it's just that after like level 5, they should at least mix it up a little bit or just cut half the quests and get you to 11 quickly.

Edit: Also, what is up with these "suppressing order" quests? So you are supposed to get "proof of death" but not every enemy you kill drops them so the quests takes ages to do. And you get these two "support tokens" which I have no idea what to do with. Any help?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Suppression order quests are just the infinite repeatables. My suggestion is to not do them.

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    Suppression order quests are just the infinite repeatables. My suggestion is to not do them.

Oh no, you do need to do them. They give rewards that are useful for soloing open world bams.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

Oh no, you do need to do them. They give rewards that are useful for soloing open world bams.

I got 2 support tokens and 6000xp for the first one I did.
    So what do I do with those tokens?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

Go to Strategic Command in the main town. They offer gear for tokens.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

Go to Velika, there is a person there that you can trade them in to for gear.

velikamap2.jpg

On this map where it says "Field Mission Officers."

And no, you absolutely DO NOT need to do them.

Steam
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular

The gear really isn't very good or worth the effort. The top ilvl Blues for each tier are fairly cheap on the AH at all times, because they're unenchantable.

And as for the quests, they're designed for people who actually do like the Korean grindy style. Because EME balanced it so quests would give so much XP, they had to make it so the quest item doesn't drop on every kill, or else the most efficient leveling method would be to farm those quests indefinitely.

• Options
    Oh right, is it true I can buy the best gear in the game on the AH if I could afford it?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    So far I have been able to sell all the gold drops from dungeons up to the lv58 dungeons - have not done the lv60 dungeons/hard modes though so it is possible that things change. The golds start to be enigmatic (need the scroll) and I've found that you have to put them up as enigmatic or they become soulbound. Not realizing this, I used a scroll on a lv58 gold bow I had gotten and it was 16% attack speed, +9% dmg to boss when +6'd....tried to put it in bank to save for archer and realized it was soulbound :(

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    tried a berserker and an archer, feels like I won't be able to play any class but sorc now because EXPLOSIONS!

• Options
    QuamzinQuamzin Land of Fog and RainRegistered User regular
    Long time lurker here(yes one of those) just got this game on Friday. Liking it so far, playing a sorc on Dragonfall going by the name of Khydos. Only level 7 so far tho.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I got 595 Infamy because I got bored while grinding Tier2 gathering/crafting materials.
    So for a 49.5 hours real time, less if I kill mobs my own level, I will be perma flagged if I'm reading this right.
    This might be interesting.

(But really, there needs to be better ways to lower this.)

Edit: Doing dungeons would be the best wait, right?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    ritarepulsa.jpg

Every Mystic's face after hitting level 50

• Options
    Congrats! (What do Mystics get at 50?)

• Options
    The aura that will make sure that groups will pick you over a priest 90% of the time (double crit rate aura)

• Options
    Ohhhhh, I'd love to have that. As for Sorcs, this is how I felt back at lvl32 when I got the combination of Overchannel + Fireblast (+ Crit).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBArXz3cWos

I cant wait to find out what Burst of Celerity feels like.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Note to Self: Get a Mystic to piggyback my Slayer at all times post-50.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Just cut a swath through the BAM's in Celestial Hills with my Berserker. It was SO MUCH FUN. I love soloing BAM's, it feels like I'm suddenly playing through a boss encounter in a console hack and slash, which is honestly the last thing you'd expect in todays MMO scene. Really cool stuff and now I can't wait to take on the endgame BAM's

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Questing in a full group:
    -have guy ride through spawns until aggro cap
    -have group annihilate the train within seconds
    -go turn finished quest in

Glal on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Dear game, hurry up and update so I don't have to waste mana a lancer, because that shit sucks.

Lancer is still awesome though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I'm still mad at all your people for posting in the screentshots thread that made me order this game but if that hadn't done the job I just saw something that blew me away and would have made me give this a chance:
    TKfR5.png

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    Questing in a full group:
    -have guy ride through spawns until aggro cap
    -have group annihilate the train within seconds
    -go turn finished quest in

aye, that's how I leveled my mystic with a lancer friend duo. I would gather multiple mobs and then we'd aoe them down. It made the leveling speed respectable considering we lacked dps.

• Options
    The GMs are having fun at their job. I've seen a few of those.

Also, as an aside. I switched from wearing a dungeon blue robe to wearing a crafted attuned blue robe. My sorceress has gone from looking like a street hooker to a high class whore, like in a brothel or something. Fancy open shirt showing cleavage and no bra (held open by many and I mean many gold chains) and spade-designed metalic collared underwear (not hearts, but the other best suit of cards).

• Options
    Cade wrote: »
    I'm still mad at all your people for posting in the screentshots thread that made me order this game but if that hadn't done the job I just saw something that blew me away and would have made me give this a chance:
    TKfR5.png

That is the greatest thing.

• Options
    I just read the gold seller one on Reddit. I approve of the GM's handling of that situation. Douchebags making characters to troll the RP server and then he says that he is selling gold.

Should have left him banned IMO.

Steam
  • Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Welp, hit 60. Y U NO THERE NEXUS EVENTS. Also, the Advanced Glyphs dungeon apparently isn't in existence yet either? What is this nonsense, this was all listed on the new launch features.

• Options
    Quintessin wrote: »
    Welp, hit 60. Y U NO THERE NEXUS EVENTS. Also, the Advanced Glyphs dungeon apparently isn't in existence yet either? What is this nonsense, this was all listed on the new launch features.

You hit cap in a week from launch?
    :shock:

So tell me, any lack of quests at any point?

Steam
  • Options
    Reminder to those giving out the 7 day friend passes, due to rather weird design decisions:
    -you cannot invite pass players into your party, they can only invite you into theirs
    -they cannot add you as a friend, you have to add them (which then also adds you to their friends list)
    Addendum, it only lasts until level 15. Once you ding 15 it tells you you'll be logged out within 5 minutes.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Quintessin wrote: »

You hit cap in a week from launch?
    :shock:

So tell me, any lack of quests at any point?

There was a minor gap in the early 50's, think I was a little ahead so I didn't have a problem. If you do all the BAM quests and Story quests and Dungeons etc, you won't ever have any problems. I was a quarter through 58 with more quests to go before I went off to 58-60 lands.

By the way, WHAT THE FUCK is up with the Massive XP jump for 58-60. I know 58 used to be the cap, so they had to cram a buncha stuff into 58-60, but those 2 levels alone took for fucking ever.

Quintessin on
  • Options
    Heh, that sounds exactly like the final WoW levels in vanilla.

This discussion has been closed.