As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Edit: After reading through the link posted above, it seems that 'free' accounts aren't too limited, which is good, and that Founders actually get some cool benefits. Here is what the website says about Founder:

If you are a current subscriber, founders status lets you keep all the perks you've come to appreciate in the game-only without the subscription. The only way to get founder status is to redeem your copy of TERA. If you have, your account will permanently be granted the founder status, regardless of whether or not you currently play TERA. There is no other way to acquire founder status.

The bolded part confuses me, though... what does it mean to redeem your copy of TERA?

From what I can gather, they mean you can just buy the game and redeem it?

Ah here we go:

Can I buy a box copy of TERA and still get Founder's?

Yes. If you activate a full copy of TERA you will receive permanent founder status for your account. you can do this at any time, even after TERA lifts the subscription.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    So what kind of f2p model is it? I never played LotRO so I don't have a concept grasp there.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    from what I understand, if you play or played before you get founder status. Nothing really changes for those folks and they even get some extra perks
    game is completely unrestricted to new players with the caveat that they can only put up limited auctions and only have 2 char slots.
    Paying in on the sub model gives you an elite model with some accumulating perks a la Planetside 2 if I'm reading correctly

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXIl2iZ7vn0

"or taking away your hotbars"

Dohohoho!

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Oooooooo, F2P you say. I was going to reactivate my WoW this month. But I can wait till February to come back to TERA.

Or wait no, I will do a 1 month in wow instead of three, that way when its over I can jump on TERA.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yes.
    That's a clever way of getting people to buy the game box without forcing them to do so. Like a hybrid version of GW2's and TSW's model.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    yeah honestly I have 2 level 10-12 characters in tera, and I will probably end up buying the game just because i'm a whore like that

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Oh god item crates. I'm a whore for item crates in every game. Good to see elites get 10 keys per month.

• Options
    MaywindMaywind Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @Beezel Can we remove the part about the chat channel from the OP? That channel is dead and no one uses it.

WANG welcomes all returning and new PAers to the guild. Just apply via the in-game guild application and indicate your PA forum name. And come join us on RaidCall! :)

Maywind on
    Steam: Maywind
    Tera: Cutie, Cutiepie on Tempest Reach
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Good news with the F2P and it looks like they're following LoTRO's lead with sensible free to play, not SWTOR's fail to play. Heck, I'll even buy something from the item shop; always thought my Lancer would look good in a string bikini, the less clothing, the higher the AC right?
    Yeah, I'm totally excited about the F2P transition. I bought the box shortly after it came out, but I'm just too broke to be spending money on a sub. The game seems like a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to coming back to it. It seems like they're being pretty generous with their model. Hopefully they keep that up and spend some effort coming up with cool cosmetics for the cash shop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    TRIGGER!!!!! That is all

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Greg USN wrote: »
    TRIGGER!!!!! That is all

Come back (for real) and do cool stuff with us!

We've been taking our time with the new HM content and have gotten ACHM on farm. We're studying MCNM now and hope to get that one under our belt too and eventually move on to MCHM.

Maywind on
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    Well this news was all it took for me to think about bringing Asher out of retirement. Looking forward to some good times with the WANG crew in the near future!

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Ah here we go:

Yes. If you activate a full copy of TERA you will receive permanent founder status for your account. you can do this at any time, even after TERA lifts the subscription.

Oh I must have missed that one, thank you for finding that!

So now I'm super-excited since I'll have founder status and basically have the entire game to play with no sub. The only downside is now I have 3 MMOs to play (GW2, TSW and now this) to make time for. :P

• Options
    I just bought 2 copies, one for my wife and one for me. We shall be playing :D

One healing priest, coming up ^_^

• Options

Ah here we go:

Oh I must have missed that one, thank you for finding that!

So now I'm super-excited since I'll have founder status and basically have the entire game to play with no sub. The only downside is now I have 3 MMOs to play (GW2, TSW and now this) to make time for. :P
    That is the best problem!

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I dropped Tera shortly after hitting sixty because (a) the enchanting grind was maddening and (b) nobody wanted berserkers in groups.

Did they ever sort those things out? Because I suddenly have a mad desire to hit things with a massive axe again.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I dropped Tera shortly after hitting sixty because (a) the enchanting grind was maddening and (b) nobody wanted berserkers in groups.

Did they ever sort those things out? Because I suddenly have a mad desire to hit things with a massive axe again.

They have since improved enchanting success rate. Going from +1 to +9 is pretty manageable now. Though masterworking and enchanting from +10 to +12 can still be frustrating.

Berzerkers have become an AMAZING dps class ever since EME patched a couple of their skills. A lot of people are playing their zerkers or leveling zerkers nowadays. It's pretty sick how much damage the class does. As someone whose main dps is a sorc, even I am jealous of zerkers' damage.

Maywind on
  • Options
    Maywind wrote: »

They have since improved enchanting success rate. Going from +1 to +9 is pretty manageable now. Though masterworking and enchanting from +10 to +12 can still be frustrating.

Berzerkers have become an AMAZING dps class ever since EME patched a couple of their skills. A lot of people are playing their zerkers or leveling zerkers nowadays. It's pretty sick how much damage the class does. As someone whose main dps is a sorc, even I am jealous of zerkers' damage.

OH, damn... even more reason to play!

• Options

...damnit.

Ok, I have no excuses any more, guess I'll see about digging out the install disks. :)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I actually still load this up every now and again to go solo a couple BAMs with my Slayer.

Most of my MMO time lately has been TSW, but I wouldn't be against getting back into this too. Still the best MMO combat ever.

EDIT: incidentally how are Slayers these days, I haven't kept abreast of the nerf cycle

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Maddoc wrote: »
    EDIT: incidentally how are Slayers these days, I haven't kept abreast of the nerf cycle

Slayers are still a top dps class like before. The current top dps classes are sorcerers, slayers, and berserkers. Warriors and archers are both viable dps classes, don't get me wrong, but sorcs, slayers and zerkers have an edge.

Maywind on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Founder status dosn't sound bad at all. I'll give this another look.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Priest still preferred heals over a mystic?

• Options
    Have Mystics changed any? They were interesting when I left (3 months post release), but they sort of got stuck in "shit solo PVE" and "drop pellets in dungeons", which wasn't really mechanically fun.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    heck might as well give this a go, it looked interesting already but was already playing too many games (well still am)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Nyht wrote: »
    Priest still preferred heals over a mystic?

Yes and no. For PVE, priest is the preferred healer for players who play healers. Mystic is the preferred healer for players who play dps.

This is because mystics are frustrating and difficult to play well compared to priests. Mystic is terrible at solo-leveling while priest is actually pretty good at it considering priest is not a dps class. And, far more effort and skill are required for a mystic to be on par with an average priest. It's almost impossible for a mystic to heal in an endgame dungeon like Kelsaik's Nest. Therefore, players who actually play healers prefer priest.

The only advantage mystic has over priest is their crit aura. And this crit aura is why dpses prefer mystic over priest because on average, a mystic-supported group clears dungeons slightly faster than a priest-supported group.

PVP is a different matter. Priest is the traditional healer in PVP, while mystic's role is more of support / cc / annoy the crap out of your enemy than straight-up healing.

Maywind on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I might have to finally come back to this and give it a new look, but it's hard to justify between the F2P games and paid games I already own and play, my RL commitments ramping up this week (though only temporarily), and the fact that the game still has stuff like Elin and bikini armor.

The combat and the draconic race, the Aman, are what have me on the fence.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Glal wrote: »
    Have Mystics changed any? They were interesting when I left (3 months post release), but they sort of got stuck in "shit solo PVE" and "drop pellets in dungeons", which wasn't really mechanically fun.

Nope, mystics haven't changed at all.

Maywind on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Good news with the F2P and it looks like they're following LoTRO's lead with sensible free to play, not SWTOR's fail to play. Heck, I'll even buy something from the item shop; always thought my Lancer would look good in a string bikini, the less clothing, the higher the AC right?

This is from the last page, but. Why do people still call LoTRO's system a sensible one now? With the way that F2P games recently, or the beginning 'B2P' market, LoTRO's system is dated. Considering that it required you to buy the quests for zones, which even at the time it went F2P I hadn't heard of in any other game.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    I would like to add that berzerkers have pretty much become godless killing machines in pvp and perfectly competitive in pve.

That said, mystics are pretty viable in endgame now. I've heard of a sub 4 minute queen hard mode kill with the crit aura and when you reach the point where the only hard part of the dungeon is the dps burn, mystics can actually be more reliable than priests.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    alright yeah i'll come back and play this for free

especially with my founder status

• Options
    @Beezel Can we remove the part about the chat channel from the OP? That channel is dead and no one uses it.

WANG welcomes all returning and new PAers to the guild. Just apply via the in-game guild application and indicate your PA forum name. And come join us on RaidCall! :)

Done!

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    So, what server is everyone on? I had started playing this game when it first came out but moved on to other things because beyond the combat there wasn't much to justify continuing to pay for a subscription but if it's f2p then I'll pick it up again.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    So, what server is everyone on? I had started playing this game when it first came out but moved on to other things because beyond the combat there wasn't much to justify continuing to pay for a subscription but if it's f2p then I'll pick it up again.

We Are Nice Guys on server Tempest Reach.

• Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I might have to finally come back to this and give it a new look, but it's hard to justify between the F2P games and paid games I already own and play, my RL commitments ramping up this week (though only temporarily), and the fact that the game still has stuff like Elin and bikini armor.

Human(both genders) , Baraka and Aman (both genders ) and popori have pretty swag, non embarassing armor. High elves and castanics are about what you'd expect. (Both genders ) Elin are only awful in cloth. Their plate and leather are plate skirts and pumpkin pants respectively. Ironically they are the most covered up females in the game.

aman robes are amazingly ornate.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Beezel wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

Human(both genders) , Baraka and Aman (both genders ) and popori have pretty swag, non embarassing armor. High elves and castanics are about what you'd expect. (Both genders ) Elin are only awful in cloth. Their plate and leather are plate skirts and pumpkin pants respectively. Ironically they are the most covered up females in the game.

aman robes are amazingly ornate.
    peski60.png

Bunnyzerker.

But yes, Elin cloth armor is really awful and the kerfluffle about the changes made for the US market was facepalm-inducing.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Love Male High Elf Leather armor

It's all military uniform looking

(when it isn't pink with fucking leopard print anyway, but even then it just looks like a pink and leopard print military uniform. So that's something I guess.)

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Good to hear about the F2P changeover in the future. I'll have to give it another try when it hits, been a long time since the last closed beta I was in.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

This is from the last page, but. Why do people still call LoTRO's system a sensible one now? With the way that F2P games recently, or the beginning 'B2P' market, LoTRO's system is dated. Considering that it required you to buy the quests for zones, which even at the time it went F2P I hadn't heard of in any other game.

I always wondered this as well. I went and played LotRO when it had gone free to play because everyone said it was such a good model for such things, and... honestly I still felt I couldn't play it properly without a subscription. I mean, I guess I could have instead spent tons of money up front and bought all the zones I wanted to have them for life, but to me that's a very heavy investment in an online game when there is literally no chance I'm going to play it regularly, if only due to how many other online games there are out there nowadays.

Honestly, the B2P model is the one I hope sticks. Buy the game, play as much as you want, and there's a cash shop for revenue. Beautiful.

This discussion has been closed.