As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a BlueRay player that I can stream video to.

Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
I have a PS3 in the living room that I can stream video to using the PS3 Media Server on a Windows 7 media server. However, I'd like to get a BlueRay player that has the same capabilities, but cheaper than a PS3 because I would never need any other functionality. Although, Netflix streaming would be a plus. Is there such a thing? I've been searching, but I'm having a hard time finding anything conclusive in how well they work. Maybe I just need to get another PS3?

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
Namel3ss on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    You probably just need to get another PS3. I've never seen a base BR player with that feature, though you might be able to find a full stereo receiver with it (my Onkayo can do it, as well as stream YouTube and such).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You'll want a Blu-ray player that has apps, specifically the Netflix app; any player that featured this would likely have the Netflix logo on the box, or at least advertise it in the specs. For streaming video from a computer you'll want a player with a built-in DLNA client. Not sure if Win7 media server can serve as a DLNA server (I think it can), but the Blu-ray players I've played with that feature a DLNA client include DLNA server software. I've only played with LG devices, but I'm sure other manufacturers also sell players with this functionality.

Djeet on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's what my stereo receiver does, acts as a DLNA client. It also has it's own built in YouTube thing. No netflix app, but that's fine, I have a zillion consoles for that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    Well, honestly I think I found my answer, as the ability to play all file formats is much greater than the ability to play Bluerays, for me. Behold: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822219007&Tpk=patriot alpine

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.