As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Godfather wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Ah!

We don't really have it all that bad here. We have a pretty nice place right downtown. If we moved to the suburbs our rent would be cheaper but the commute would be really tough without a car. Right now I think we're saving quite a bit of money on not having to buy/maintain a car. I'm just not earning as much as I was in Bermuda and the taxes cutting a bunch out of my pay cheque too. Once my wife is bringing home a source of income we'll be doing pretty well. It's just taking some time getting that sorted out.

I have a friend from England who had to wait eight or nine months for his work visa to come through before he was able to start working here. Apparently, Canadians are pretty protective about keeping jobs for Canadians, which is understandable.

I would go pretty crazy not owning a car. After a few days of not driving I get pretty antsy. D:

I don't think you understand NibCrom; If you live in or around the city of Toronto, owning a car is more of a hassle then its worth. There are so many cheaper alternatives to get anywhere and everywhere in that province that most people don't own one. It's considered more or less an "extra" then a requirement.

Now living in Texas, for example, without a car would more or less kill you: it is so expansive and spaced out down here that it is absolutely vital for survival. No wheels means you can't live in a sense.

In Toronto most people don't even have their driver's license :P

EDIT: Also living in Downtown Toronto can be crazy expensive, i'm not really sure what Grifter is talking about. Maybe he worked out a good deal or had connections, but usually it costs well over a grand a month at least to get what would equate to a rathole apartment in the metropolitian area.

Yeah, I pay over a grand for my place downtown. I would hardly consider this place a rat hole, though. I live steps away from Osgoode station in a one bedroom. The kitchen has granite counter tops and there's a concierge in my lobby. I've lived in a shitty apartment around the corner from Hooker Harvey's at Jarvis and Gerrard when I was a student here. Quite happy to not be worried about crack addicts on my walk home now. These days I just have to worry about drunk douche bags when I go out at night.

The last place I rented from was by Royal York station. I really lucked into something good there, because I got a place that was felt like a mansion compared to the basement deathtrap I was renting the year before, and it was cheaper too! ($600 a month)

There are some great areas downtown, but the closer to the heart of the city, the more you will have to pay. A respectable place that close to downtown could easily cost around 2-3K.

Yeah, the rents tend to go up as you approach downtown. There are definitely some good deals here, though. I pay $1500 a month for my place, which isn't very cheap. However, I looked at places for the same price or more and they weren't as nice or as spacious as the place that I'm in right now. I don't think I could live out towards the end of the Bloor line right now. That's just too far away from everything for me. I'm debating on whether we should move out to the Ossington and Queen area since that seems to be a cool neighbourhood. I'll have to have a look around closer to the end of my lease.

Queen street is the unofficial fashion district of Toronto, with high-end boutiques lining the pavements like they were going out of style. As such the shopping products are very expensive (as well as most apartments available around that area). My old school is actually located near the corner of Queen and Ossington!

https://maps.google.com/maps?aq=f&q=max+the+mutt+animation+school&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

I do remember that area being a little bit shady though, so watch out. There's a mental hospital near that area I think, so anytime I or other students would eat nearby the school on our lunch break we'd usually come across some characters who didn't seem like they were all there in one piece mentally.

Final thing I should say is stay the hell away from any place around the Scarborough or Dundas West subway area. I lived in a shitty basement apartment in the Dundas West area during my first year and almost got knifed on one of my grocery runs there!

Yeah, I've lived here before and I know the city pretty well. I came back to visit friends once or twice a year. I have a few friends that live over in the Oz area that seem to like it quite a bit. I've hung out with them over there a few times and it seems pretty nice for the most part. I feel like it's not too far away from downtown, has a 24 hr street car on Queen and there are lots of things to do in the neighbourhood. Plus, it's a little close to my office right now so the commute would probably be a bit quicker.

When I lived here before I would see people passing a can of paint thinner between themselves while walking down my street. Nothing like a good huff to get you going in the morning. One of my friends had a SWAT team run through his house on my street because a convict was hiding out in our neighbourhood and they chased them into my friend's back yard. Turned out he was from the states and was told if he wanted to lie low that he should come to our neighbourhood. Within a week of moving in there two guys were gunned down with a shotgun at the end of the street. It was a crazy place to live but we had a lot of fun there sitting out on the front porches drinking beer and shooting the shit.

I'm quite happy to be over by Queen & University now, though. Feels much safer and there's always something interesting going on around here.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Achievements? As if I didn't have enough reason to dick around on the forums, GREAT

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    This Strip Search show the PA guys are talking about sounds pretty awesome.

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/07/27/strip-search1

I think @squidbunny should try to get in on that action if possible. The grand prize just sounds like it would be incredible.

Ha. Yeah, it would. :) But being 5 months pregnant with our first kid I'm not sure moving to Seattle is in the cards even if I were somehow able to.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Naw, the dude is obviously the type who posts only to make himself look smart by pointing out stuff that falls under artistic license, or by going "oh, this looks flawed but on closer inspection it isn't, aren't I clever for not falling into that trap?" and so on.

what dude are you talking about?

The dude Squidbunny mentioned. Guess I missed a bunch of previous posts that made it unclear who I was talking about. Whoops!

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm 7 years into PA:AC! I even made a thread once!

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Been here 8 years and I still can't get some of you dips to post art.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I am SO tempted to click "Agree" right now

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Bacon, you are the most motivating and dedicated dude around here, I'm sure one day we will all have posted SOME art thanks to you.
    <3

(although I'd also love to see more of your stuff. NDA?)

Mayday on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I might have some stuff related to my current project to post, but I can't really post anything for critique 'cuz it's all "professional work"!

Also I will probably never make a tutorial for anything ever. I have come to accept this as fact.

Also also, yep I still hate white for the forums. I hope someone gets a Stylish script up soon.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Been here 8 years and I still can't get some of you dips to post art.

The continuum of A posting works like this, for me at least:

I have not made any art: do not post
    I can't show this art: do not post
    I'm almost embarrassed I still make art this bad: do not post
    I think this could legitimately be posted and critiqued but I already know what it is I need to do to fix the problem people would be critiquing anyway and I don't think I want the self-esteem dip of having secondary things pointed out: do not post

Hey, I'm actually pretty happy with this: post to doodle thread

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Stargnoc...

I found the above saved as a draft and have no idea why.

@squidbunny look at it this way, your story would make great t.v. You could flip out on other contestants and they couldn't say peep, who is gonna yell at a pregnant? lady. also, how goes the pregnancy? Do you know what you are having or waiting for a surprise?

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure listing the number of badgers we have collected is intentional. Unless this is the admin's master plan to label point farmers as badger whores.

Anyway I hope they don't change it.

Flay on
  • Options
    oh btw flay I am like, one commission away from being able to get back to your ss gift. The one that's so old I actually started redrawing it again completely from scratch. And will probably start over once more now because it's been six months so I expect I'll hate the second iteration too now.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That's cool, I remember you were very busy, I don't want to stress you when you have important business to take care of.

Flay on
  • Options
    if it's any comfort, I also haven't finished my gangbunch secret santa gift, which was due a month earlier.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Ah!

We don't really have it all that bad here. We have a pretty nice place right downtown. If we moved to the suburbs our rent would be cheaper but the commute would be really tough without a car. Right now I think we're saving quite a bit of money on not having to buy/maintain a car. I'm just not earning as much as I was in Bermuda and the taxes cutting a bunch out of my pay cheque too. Once my wife is bringing home a source of income we'll be doing pretty well. It's just taking some time getting that sorted out.

I have a friend from England who had to wait eight or nine months for his work visa to come through before he was able to start working here. Apparently, Canadians are pretty protective about keeping jobs for Canadians, which is understandable.

I would go pretty crazy not owning a car. After a few days of not driving I get pretty antsy. D:

I don't think you understand NibCrom; If you live in or around the city of Toronto, owning a car is more of a hassle then its worth. There are so many cheaper alternatives to get anywhere and everywhere in that province that most people don't own one. It's considered more or less an "extra" then a requirement.

Now living in Texas, for example, without a car would more or less kill you: it is so expansive and spaced out down here that it is absolutely vital for survival. No wheels means you can't live in a sense.

EDIT: Also living in Downtown Toronto can be crazy expensive, i'm not really sure what Grifter is talking about. Maybe he worked out a good deal or had connections, but usually it costs well over a grand a month at least to get what would equate to a rathole apartment in the metropolitian area.

I'm not suggesting that people who live in cities and have plenty of access to public transportation and/or can get to their destinations easily need a car, just simply sharing that I like driving and that if I didn't have a car I would miss it.

• Options
    Ah!

I'm not suggesting that people who live in cities and have plenty of access to public transportation and/or can get to their destinations easily need a car, just simply sharing that I like driving and that if I didn't have a car I would miss it.

Yeah, I can definitely understand that. I wish that I had a car so that I could take my dog over to High Park for a nice trail walk. Or it would be nice to take a drive over to Belleville to show my wife my old high school instead of having to take a bus or train over there. And when I drive out to my friend's cottage for a long weekend in August it would be nice not to need to get a rental. But that's kind of the life that I'm living right now. A car isn't something that we actually need. It would sit in the parking spot 90% of the time.

Oh, and driving in downtown Toronto is fucking terrible. If you get lucky and all of the people on the road are decent drivers, you still have to deal with the taxis who are all assholes. I've decided that taxi drivers are fucking horrible no matter where you are. They're only good when you're in one and they get you somewhere in a hurry.

• Options
    nope, then they're expensive

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    nope, then they're expensive

True, but at least I don't want to kick their teeth down their throats.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Also I will probably never make a tutorial for anything ever. I have come to accept this as fact.

But you already did

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. I will never make another tutorial, then, since I already made the best one.

• Options
    Every time I rewatch ghost in the shell SAC I decide I'm not having children and having tachikomas instead

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Every time I rewatch ghost in the shell SAC I decide I'm not having children and having tachikomas instead

Sounds good, but giving birth to 12 foot tall metal robots is bound to be pretty rough on your vagina.

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Toronto is pretty nifty. I'm going to the Jays game today!

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Toronto is pretty nifty. I'm going to the Jays game today!
    whatcha up to in a couple of weeks. None of those jerks in massachusetts are replying to me.

• Options
    The rest of my year is entirely booked, but in favour of us convening. My remaining calendar pages are all blocked out in blue squares, which the colour key reveals is "Be available on these days in case Nic wants to hang out"

But maybe Nic stands for Nicholas?! In which case, I'm sorry, but I'm way too busy. Might be meeting with Nicholas.

• Options
    nicholas and i are like BFF. In fact, maybe I'll hang with him instead??!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    @squidbunny look at it this way, your story would make great t.v. You could flip out on other contestants and they couldn't say peep, who is gonna yell at a pregnant? lady. also, how goes the pregnancy? Do you know what you are having or waiting for a surprise?

@brokecracker It goes okay! I've basically been grateful for everything past my first trimester wherein I felt continuously like I had food poisoning. We're finding out boy/girl in two weeks, actually. Because we're terrible at everything and coming up with names for both is too hard.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    If you want to hang out after the game, send me a message or something. My place is pretty darn close to the Skydome. I really need to take my wife there one day Probably not to a Jays game since that's incredibly boring. Maybe when a monster truck show comes to town.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I always wanted to go to a Blue Jays or Maple Leafs game but they're always sold out

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    a drawing keeps wanting to come out when I listen to Blood and Thunder
    but it never takes solid shape

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    a drawing keeps wanting to come out when I listen to Blood and Thunder
    but it never takes solid shape
    Perhaps a change in your diet would help that problem

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    hahahahahaha
    well done motherfucker
    well done

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Do you guys ever vacuume your carpet and then all these maggots come out?

• Options
    Um. No.

(Actually maybe they're just carpet beetle larvae, which aren't particularly gross or worrisome or indicative of total squalor?)

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    PROX wrote: »

Wat.

Also, thinking of shaving my head into a floppy hawk before my cross country road trip. Why? Because.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    I always wanted to go to a Blue Jays or Maple Leafs game but they're always sold out

Leafs games are pretty tough to get tickets for and they're bloody expensive. I think Jays games are pretty accessible and you can buy a fairly cheap ticket if you don't mind watching the game from some shitty seats. I could've bought two tickets behind home plate for today's game. I took a look to see what the prices were like after Trip mentioned that he was going.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    PROX wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah I get that all the ti- NO.
    Lovecraftian carpet?.. or vacuum cleaner?.. don't vacuum your face. You know, if you should ever feel like it, just don't.

• Options
    Jays games aren't tough to get into depending on where you like to sit. I've been to 4 MLB games so far this season and the higher seats always have plenty of room. Although maybe something like a Yankees matchup would fill up more impressively. One of the games I sat maybe 12 rows from home plate and the rest in the upper decks. My brother and I decided it's just as fine to watch from a top down view as it is closer to the action, and far more affordable. We also eat the $3 hot dogs from vendors outside the stadium before the game, instead of the bullshit $25 hot dogs once you're in.

The sun will toast you right up though. I'm too pooped after today's game, but Grif we will bump fists at some point.

This discussion has been closed.