As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

alien 3: a pretty interesting movie, even if bad

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    clearly he become the new lucas.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't get how Biehn got paid so much for Alien 3.

I mean it just seems like something where a movie studio would just say "no, fuck you" and just say he died off-screen with no picture.

RT800 on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    alien 4 makes a lot more sense now that i've read that the director could barely speak english, that he was french & laid it out like a comic book, and decided it was best to make it as a dark comedy

people didn't expect the fifth element when they were hoping for aliens

i've moved on to event horizon in my space horror viewing schedule

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    At least he's using his billions for some really cool shit

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blake T wrote: »
    What is the best scifi movie that came out in the last twelve years guys.

And let's say inception doesn't count if you like it because it's the only one I can think of.
    The American Astronaut. (a no budget black and white dreamlogic musical) Alternatively:

Primer. (a no budget absurdly convoluted movie created by a couple of engineers, about a couple of engineers who create...would it be a spoiler to say?)

wandering on
  • Options
    damn

this movie doesn't fuck around one bit

no slowly building unease here

• Options
    edited May 2012
    damn

That's one of the things I like about it! The aliens escape, you're expecting people to slowly get picked off but nope! the aliens just slaughter person after person lickety split.

wandering on
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I still haven't seen Avatar

I don't think I'm ever going to
    RT800 wrote: »
    I don't get how Biehn got paid so much for Alien 3.

I mean it just seems like something where a movie studio would just say "no, fuck you" and just say he died off-screen with no picture.

He was supposed to be in the movie, but production stalled and the script kept getting rewritten, and eventually he was written out of the final draft.

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Alien 3? What is this film you speak of?

I seem to remember the Sulaco flying off with Newt, Hicks, and Ripley... and that was the end of the Aliens franchise.

The. END.

• Options
    Titanic is the superior James Cameron three hour special-effects heavy chick flick.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    damn

That's one of the things I like about it! The aliens escape, you're expecting people to slowly get picked off but nope! the aliens just slaughter person after person lickety split.

no, i'm on to event horizon now, which loves deeeeep base and jump scare shots in the first ten minutes

that said i'm way more on board here than i was with the french comedic direction of alien 4

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I feel like the beginning of alien 3 was the director saying to all the people expecting a continuation of aliens "no fuck you this is my movie, bye newt"

• Options
    The Fifth Element, Beyond Good and Evil, and Jeunet's good sci-fi films prove that the French are the best at sci-fi.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Movie questions.

I have already explained my love for the tonal shift from alien to aliens and terminator 1&2. And kinda godfather 1&2.

Can anyone name other sequels and for extra points, can anyone list a trilogy?

• Options
    The Fifth Element, Beyond Good and Evil, and Jeunet's good sci-fi films prove that the French are the best at sci-fi.

what are his good ones? i feel like he just took the money and made a fuck you movie, since he didn't really want to do it anyway

• Options
    Star Wars.

But.

Probly... already seen that.

• Options
    Star Wars.

But.

Probly... already seen that.
    they put out star wars in the last twelve years

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Sequels that are different in tone?

Well Star Trek II is pulpy, IV is a silly comedy, and VI is grim and tense.

wandering on
  • Options
    Movie questions.

I have already explained my love for the tonal shift from alien to aliens and terminator 1&2. And kinda godfather 1&2.

mad max. 3 kinda eh but the second one was a masterpiece even if it had mel gibson

also I am glad other people like robocop as much as I do

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I liked Gattaca.

It was awroight.

I skipped pages 1-4 so I got no idea where we're at here.

RT800 on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Movie questions.

suicide club and noriko's dinner table

swamp thing and return of swamp thing

the evil dead trilogy

dolemite and the human tornado

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012

what are his good ones? i feel like he just took the money and made a fuck you movie, since he didn't really want to do it anyway
    Delicatessen and City of Lost Children.

Actually I shouldn't vouch for them because I haven't seen them since middle school.

Also I uh only saw the first thirty minutes of City of Lost Children. But they seemed great at the time and they are well regarded!

wandering on
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    Movie questions.

mad max. 3 kinda eh but the second one was a masterpiece even if it had mel gibson

also I am glad other people like robocop as much as I do

robocop 1 and 2 are so good

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    clearly he become the new lucas.

not remotely

he's getting out of making movies in general

wants to get more into the science shit now that he's made a buttload on avatar

avatar is just going to be the exception where he talks about shit through the format of a regular ol' movie

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I liked Gattaca.

It was awroight.

I skipped pages 1-4 so I got no idea where we're at here.

Sup, I like that movie a lot too

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I don't care for 2 that much but robocop 1 is one of my favorite movies along with terminator 2

basically cyborg movies own

• Options
    Movie questions.

godfather 1&2 is weird because the first movie adapts 50% of the book (cutting out 40% that's shit like the girl sonny fucks at the wedding having a big loose vagoo and getting it tightened) and then part ii adapts the other ten percent and adds in the bit about michael trying to hang onto the empire out west

in the book he moves west, then has the heads of the five families, mo green, and carlo killed at the same time

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Alien 4 is amazingly bad. And it's also amazingly good if you're not watching the Alien series back to back. Much like Alien 3 feels more like a Fincher movie than a continuation of Aliens, Alien 4 is a Jeunet movie more than a continuation of Alien 3. The director, Jeunet, did much better in his French movies of strange dark comedies, Delicatessan and The City of Lost Children (a Steampunk favorite). Later, Jeunet would triumph with Amelie. All metaphorical movies that seem more in tune with a Philip K. dick adaptation than an Alien movie.

On top of that, this was Joss Whedon when he sucked AND had no control over anything. So, you get that whole edited/censored/searching Whedon feeling that early Whedon suffered from. He doesn't work watered down (and only half works without bounds).

But, Alien 4 is awful, but kimd of amazing if you realize it's hilarious, its meant to be hilarious, and it's genre is surreal sci-fi French black comedy.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    I don't care for 2 that much but robocop 1 is one of my favorite movies along with terminator 2

robocop 2 also had a hodgepodge of scripts that just got slapped together to cash in on robocop

robocop on the other hand is an amazing satire of the 80s

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

robocop 2 also had a hodgepodge of scripts that just got slapped together to cash in on robocop

Ahhh, Verhoeven. It's weird to think the guy who did Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers also did Hollow Man and Showgirls.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    hollow man and showgirls are fun movies so

no it isn't?

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    i'm convinced that people thought showgirls was going to be a sexy movie about girls getting naked and not a horrible dark movie about how broken people are

• Options
    hollow man and showgirls are fun movies so

no it isn't?

I'll grant you Showgirls (I love the shit out of that movie). But, Hollow Man is really just...terrible. And also stupidly Rapey. It's easy to see Showgirls, Hollow Man and Basic Instinct all being by the same dude.
    They're all so...rapey.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Figure everyone knows it, but Alien 3 had an amazingly messed up writing cycle. Did scripts without Ripley, did scripts that killed her off offscreen before the opening.

One version was by Gibson and starred Hicks, with Ripley and Newt getting out safe before everything went to shit with these weird mutating spores that turn things into xenomorphs. One was on a planet made of wood.

Not exactly the best environment to bring a film up in, all I'm saying.

(Killing Hicks and Newt off is still first degree bullshit. It's a move that depends entirely on bonds in the previous films to have any impact while discarding the themes and ending. Dirty pool.)

• Options
    so showgirls being rapey is okay but hollow man being rapey isn't?

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

robocop 2 rules just as much and is a great satire of what the 90s would become

• Options
    edited May 2012
    or did you just want the rapiness to be more clever?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    basically what is your argument here?

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Also Predator. The original Predator. Good stuff.

Predator 2 was less good but still enjoyable.

Showgirls always seemed weird because it starred Jessie from Saved by the Bell and I had trouble divorcing the actress from that character.

RT800 on