As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLPFiM: Season 3 November 10th

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    It would have to be pretty bad for Hasbro to turn down thousands of dollars.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    It was pretty bad when they said brony in the first second of the script.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I think the Youtube video of Derpy asking you not to kill her made that pretty clear.
    What

Tbh I never liked the fanon character of Derpy. "Look at this character do something dumb" is funny, but "Look at this dumb character do something dumb" is awkward and uncomfortable to watch.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    I think the Youtube video of Derpy asking you not to kill her made that pretty clear.
    What

Tbh I never liked the fanon character of Derpy. "Look at this character do something dumb" is funny, but "Look at this dumb character do something dumb" is awkward and uncomfortable to watch.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Oddly both the cause and cure of all this malcontent is more pony I feel.

rarity_by_mewpan-d4zgam2.jpg

So happy!
    Man, it's been three weeks since I last watched an episode. I should rewatch a couple tonight to relieve exam stress.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

They haven't made a Pony Transformer yet. Hasbro are masters at turning down free money.

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    I may be speaking for myself but I'm assuming that this is because it wasn't as much "protective" as "defensive." Most bronies love Derpy because she's, well, derpy. Outside agitators started complaining that the older fanbase of the show was "just making a bunch of retard jokes" and got all White-Knight about it. I can see how that pissed a lot of people off.

It wasn't "outside agitators", it was people who watched the show. I, on a personal note, felt extremely uncomfortable watching that scene the further it went along. And I was watching it "cold", on TV as it aired, uninfluenced by outside opinions. I known none of it was intentional, but wow. I don't want to get into a big discussion on it because it's already been discussed to death, I just wanted to make it clear that this wasn't "a bunch of outsiders" or "trolls" or whatever else bronies claim.

Instead of talking about that, let's speculate about the Crystal Empire!

IMG_1162.jpg

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    two_gifts__by_kaizenwerx-d4zhmzb.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Shining Armor looks a bit disappointed there.

• Options
    It's because even though he's the bridegroom, he didn't get a boxart picture.

• Options
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote: »
    Instead of talking about that, let's speculate about the Crystal Empire!

Is that going to be the episode where Applejack gets her truck?

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Shining Armor looks a bit disappointed there.

I'd be disappointed too if I was a toy of a male character that was literally just a female body with different eyes.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    They could have based him off this old G1 model.

3sPVs.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »

They haven't made a Pony Transformer yet. Hasbro are masters at turning down free money.

tumblr_lme194HSsx1qj9q41o1_500.jpg

Horrifying.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    still have a few episodes to catch up on, but I finally decided to watch the end of season two-parter. That was pretty great.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    tumblr_lme194HSsx1qj9q41o1_500.jpg

Horrifying.

It could happen. I mean, they made Optimus Prime into a shoe.

transformerstennis.jpg
    That isn't a photoshop. It's a REAL TOY.

• Options
    Interesting result (and huge filesize), but this dance usually requires equal sizes and power levels.
    And that, fillies and gentlecolts, is how we got that adrogynous Big Mac toy in the upcoming blindbag wave.

• Options
    CatrichorCatrichor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Pocket posting
    Thanks phone!

Catrichor on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    SabreMau wrote: »
    They could have based him off this old G1 model.
    3sPVs.jpg

My eyes!

This Rubik's Cube is pretty cool.

1p2Ce.jpg

Blendtec on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That Nike shoe Transformer was only sold in Japan and was insanely expensive. It's also a single left shoe, I believe. There's also a Megatron one. That is also a single left shoe.

Hasbro has shown on multiple occasions that they hate money. We're 2 years out from the start of MLP and they still refuse to change their dyes. Not the first time, mind you - Mainframe went in a completely different direction with Beast Wars than the toys implied, and Hasbro didn't change those for years either.

... I wish it were the fall. I bought the blind bag gift set from TRU for $texas, gave one of the non-mane 6 to my boss's daughter as a gift, and I'd love to have more of the cast available. I've actually got a gift card pretty much set aside at this point exclusively for when that set with Vinyl Scratch and Zecora comes out.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    JU6sU.jpg

I just came here to make sure this was posted. (thumbsup.jpg)

The fact that her sword appears to be made of Chrysalis' horn seals it.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wish it were the fall. I bought the blind bag gift set from TRU for $texas, gave one of the non-mane 6 to my boss's daughter as a gift, and I'd love to have more of the cast available. I've actually got a gift card pretty much set aside at this point exclusively for when that set with Vinyl Scratch and Zecora comes out.

That set isn't out yet? I really need to follow the toys more, I want some of the blind bag style ones for my desk. I have a brushable mane one from last summer, it's okay, but I feel like the plastic ones look better.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I wish it were the fall. I bought the blind bag gift set from TRU for $texas, gave one of the non-mane 6 to my boss's daughter as a gift, and I'd love to have more of the cast available. I've actually got a gift card pretty much set aside at this point exclusively for when that set with Vinyl Scratch and Zecora comes out.

That set isn't out yet? I really need to follow the toys more, I want some of the blind bag style ones for my desk. I have a brushable mane one from last summer, it's okay, but I feel like the plastic ones look better.

I dunno; the original posts said it was slated for Fall, so I'm going off that information. I also know how fucked up Hasbro's internal timetable is - not to mention how bad retail distribution channels are.

They really, REALLY need to give Fluttershy the correct hair in blind bag form. And make cartoon accurate brushables. But that's retreading old water.

Can anyone recommend a good playlist for just the songs from the show, or the songs + some of the higher quality/non disturbing fan made songs? I know that's subjective, but there's some weird-ass shit out there as that April community voting thing shows.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hasbro has shown on multiple occasions that they hate money. We're 2 years out from the start of MLP and they still refuse to change their dyes.

Or they did an ROI analysis and figured out that changing them will cost more money than the increase of revenue it would generate. Don't assume that because a company isn't doing exactly what you think they should do it means that they get less money from it. Sure, companies can make mistakes, but since Hasbro has been around longer than you've been alive, I think they know quite well how to make money.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Hasbro has shown on multiple occasions that they hate money. We're 2 years out from the start of MLP and they still refuse to change their dyes.

Or they did an ROI analysis and figured out that changing them will cost more money than the increase of revenue it would generate. Don't assume that because a company isn't doing exactly what you think they should do it means that they get less money from it. Sure, companies can make mistakes, but since Hasbro has been around longer than you've been alive, I think they know quite well how to make money.

They make money by being conservative as hell. Because they haven't changed the MLP line in a while, the costs of production are extremely low. New tools/molds would obviously cost money, but I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't recoop that.

I'm still mad at their steadfast refusal to sell female action figures, on quite a few levels. This isn't the 80's, and you won't know if you don't try. We're not even talking focus group testing here; they are going off of decades-old market data that hasn't been tested in quite a while.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'm still mad at their steadfast refusal to sell female action figures, on quite a few levels. This isn't the 80's, and you won't know if you don't try. We're not even talking focus group testing here; they are going off of decades-old market data that hasn't been tested in quite a while.

Agree with this more than anything. I'm really curious to see what Nick is going to do with Legend of Korra, since they refused to ever budge on the Katara front in A:TLA.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Agree with this more than anything. I'm really curious to see what Nick is going to do with Legend of Korra, since they refused to ever budge on the Katara front in A:TLA.

That should be interesting. Hopefully they don't just go with the standard mold. Action figure Korra needs her guns, dammit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    They'll just make Mako, Bolin, and a recolored GI Joe to look like Korra.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    That's the thing, though: Hasbro's standard mold for female characters is Bratz. Or MLP. Neither of which would fit Korra's physique.

This issue came to my attention during Sigma 6, when Hasbro refused to make a Baroness or Scarlett toy in the 8" line, despite A) both characters being very prominent in the show, and B) the line already having "thin" body types that would've just needed a chest and head remold.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I think I might have the only Katara toy in existence, which is a minifig that came with my Lego Fire Nation Ship.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    My friendship express DVD came. I wish it had 6 episodes instead of 5 and Pound Puppies. Silly Shout Factory, if I want to try a new show I'll find it online.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bratz was actually a different, smaller company, until Mattel went after them and crushed them into a fine powder. I think Mattel then . . . bought them up or something? I dunno, it's confusing. All I know is that Mattel is now producing the Monster High dolls which I think were made by the people who designed Bratz.

Monster_High_dolls.jpg

I don't collect these, but I love the idea. Having a werewolf or vampire fashion doll is so much cooler than a regular Barbie.

LadyM on
  • Options
    2ch wrote:
    916 :名無しさん@お腹いっぱい。:2012/05/12(土) 13:37:19.89 ID:2qk1r98p
    MLPのおかげで、10代で英語と縁を切った私も今では英検4級レベルです
    916: @ Anonymous My tummy is full. : (Sat) 2012/05/12 13:37:19.89 ID:2qk1r98p
    Thanks to the MLP, is now a level 4 class Eiken English and I also cut the edge in their teens

They're using the show to learn English? And that's working?

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I'm picturing a japanese businessman unknowingly using 'everypony' in a board meeting now.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My apologies on getting the company wrong. It still just annoys me.

I mean.. I get it. Transformers have a ton of R&D behind them, and are expensive because they have a lot of metal parts to go along with the plastic ones.

But when Sigma 6 can release this two pack for $25:

jungle-danger-storm-shadow-s6c.jpg

And have that tiger mold be 100% new, use more plastic than a standard figure, AND have more articulation... Yeah. Many of Hasbro's arguments become moot in my mind.

(Fair point: Storm Shadow only had a new chest, all the other toolings were reused. Counterpoint: That set came with 100% new accessories, including a tiger net. And that leash unclips to have a dagger on the end.)

I just don't think it would be that hard for them to alter the G4 toy molds to be a touch more cartoon accurate. I'm not even talking making them unique for each character.

Athenor on
  • Options
    How does My Little Pony stand up to the competition in girls toys? I figure boys toys are better because there are more people competing for the market.

Though I don't know that I want to see articulated ponies...

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    I'm picturing a japanese businessman unknowingly using 'everypony' in a board meeting now.

Oh my goodness, I'm dying.

• Options

Oh my goodness, I'm dying.

I can't get this scene out of my head.

This discussion has been closed.