As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 - The Forever Alones

2»

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So, due to The Boyfriend deciding education is better than here, it will be the first time in the (soon to be) six years I have been doing PAX that I will be traveling alone. I know I truly won't be alone--but at the same time, so don't have that companion to meet up or go back to the hotel to chillax and stuff.

No matter. Luckily, two awesome folks will be sharing my room and I was able to sell my extra pass to someone who needed it (at face value.)

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    So, due to The Boyfriend deciding education is better than here, it will be the first time in the (soon to be) six years I have been doing PAX that I will be traveling alone. I know I truly won't be alone--but at the same time, so don't have that companion to meet up or go back to the hotel to chillax and stuff.

No matter. Luckily, two awesome folks will be sharing my room and I was able to sell my extra pass to someone who needed it (at face value.)

i have no clue when fall semester starts at my school, but i'm going to PAX anyway =P

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    longklaw wrote: »
    This is my first year and I'm going alone. I will be sharing a room with folks I found on the forums

Bring earplugs on the off chance that someone is a snorer.
    As other people have mentioned there is the Triwizard Drinking Tournament on Thursday night for those who are 21+.

It tends to fill up fast but it is a great way to get out on the town and make some friends before PAX even starts.
    The TWDT is the best thing ever for making new friends. It's like going to war and coming out with lifetime battle buddies.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • douglasbouttelldouglasbouttell Glasgow, UKRegistered User regular
    I may as well add my two cents.

Scottish guy going to PAX for the first time (and going to America for the first time in 20 years) alone. Going to try and get in with some meet 'n' greets and whatnot. Show you 'muricans how we british roll.

Douglas Bouttell: Geek, Engineer, Weirdo

PAX East 2013 Status
    Hotel: Waterfront Westin; Flight: Booked; Pass: Purchased; Suitcase: Packed

PAX Prime 2012 Status: Level Complete
    TWDT'12: Hufflepuff OotP
  • phoophoo Registered User regular
    This seems to be the thread I am looking for. This is my second pax, my first was in 2009 - the PaxPox episode. I'd definitely like to make new friends. I am actually not a huge gamer. I do like tabletop games, but don't often get to play or learn new games because other humans are required. I am hoping to get in on some games that others are also learning this year. I think I may really enjoy D&D, but again with requiring other humans, and humans that will tolerate a newbie at that. Again, maybe I can find a pickup group that will tolerate a newbie?

For computer games, I never could get into MMOs. I've tried! So much work and dedication and sitting for not much production. I do like some puzzle games, but games that I can pick and play for just a few minutes if I like and don't have a timer. I don't have Steam installed yet. I just found out about it and it requires being installed as admin to do it. I'm procrastinating and the admin privs + network using gives me the slight heebie jeebies. :) When I had the wii hooked up (long story - don't have anything to hook it to currently), I would play tetris on beginner mode to help me think.

I am also the last person to still be playing Farmville. Yes, I know. But I find something addictive about the clicking and it doesn't play like all the regular games. There is just something I find strangely gratifying about it.

douglasbouttell: You'll probably be right at home, weather-wise, possibly slightly warm. I haven't had the pleasure of being to Scotland, but the weather in Ireland (in Ireland) was exactly like it is here in Seattle. I would expect Scotland gets a little colder. Expect people to say "what?" a lot. You might not want to ask to borrow a fag either. ;) (You might want to ask him rather than me, but I left him back on Capitol Hill...) Where/how long were you here before?

Perhaps a pax orphan meetup/lunch/etc is in order?

phoo wrote: »
    douglasbouttell: You'll probably be right at home, weather-wise, possibly slightly warm. I haven't had the pleasure of being to Scotland, but the weather in Ireland (in Ireland) was exactly like it is here in Seattle. I would expect Scotland gets a little colder. Expect people to say "what?" a lot. You might not want to ask to borrow a fag either. ;) (You might want to ask him rather than me, but I left him back on Capitol Hill...) Where/how long were you here before?

Perhaps a pax orphan meetup/lunch/etc is in order?

Yes I have heard the climate is similar to here but a little warmer and drier (Thank god I HATE rain). I lived in Australia for a year so I am used to being foreign and I dont smoke (win, win).

Last time I was in the US of A, I was 2 years old and it was disneyland.

PAX East 2013 Status

• SmashX5000SmashX5000 The Guy Who Draws Things WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be going alone this year. I was planning on going with two of my friends, but they couldn't get passes.

YouTube | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Formspring | Smash Time - My Webcomic
    PAX Prime Preparations - [X] - Fri-Sun Pass [X] - Panel Schedule [X] - Hype [X]
    Drier? I guess it depends on the type of rain. Scotland may get a totally different kind of rain than Ireland, as Portland gets a different kind of rain than Seattle. I like to say that "Seattle rarely rains. Instead, it mists, showers, sprinkles, tinkles, etc." It IS cloudy or rainy almost every day, but conversely it is sunny almost every day, and that is preferable to Portland weather where you may literally not see the sun for a week in wintertime (but you get a solid 3 months of sun in the summer). Expect daytime temps of 60-80F (more likely 65-75), but don't forget a jacket if you'll be outside for awhile, unless you don't mind a sudden sprinkle. I'd love to meet up with you and learn more about Scotland.

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    As someone who has lived in western Washington for all my life, the best advice I can give regarding the weather is to hope for the best, but expect and prepare for the worst. You never know what you are going to get in Seattle.

tw787Xr.png

RavenHusky wrote: »
    As someone who has lived in western Washington for all my life, the best advice I can give regarding the weather is to hope for the best, but expect and prepare for the worst. You never know what you are going to get in Seattle.

Well having lived in Scotland where its a real gamble whether or not your get a dry day, I know how to handle almost every form of weather (bar tornados).

PAX East 2013 Status

You can safely rule out tornadoes. Ok, We can get freak tornadoes in the NW, but they are merely a funnel formed, rarely touch down and are so weak I don't think they even qualify for F1. One of the things I love about the NW is we don't usually get what I call "killing kind of weather." In the midwest you'll get tornadoes and other wind phenomena that will kill ya. California has regular earthquakes and tends to catch on fire. The rest of the country will either kill you with cold or heat. Here you will just rust, but it will not kill you. Well, unless a mountain blows up, but that has only happened once in recent memory. ;b

Just remember with Seattle that you can't judge what the weather for the day will be by looking out your window in the morning. The likelihood that it will change is very high.

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This will be my 8th PAX (5th Prime) and my first going solo. Based on past experiences, I have no doubt I'll still have a great time. Hopefully I'll find some people to play Cards Against Humanity with.

Marino on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    This will be my 8th PAX (5th Prime) and my first going solo. Based on past experiences, I have no doubt I'll still have a great time. Hopefully I'll find some people to play Cards Against Humanity with.
    If you're coming in on Thursday and not doing any of the events (Pre-Dinner/TWDT/Pre-Hookah) you could also do the Pre-Board Game night. Quite a few folks will be bringing CAH.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    If you're coming in on Thursday and not doing any of the events (Pre-Dinner/TWDT/Pre-Hookah) you could also do the Pre-Board Game night. Quite a few folks will be bringing CAH.

Cool. Even without knowing there was a semi-official board/card game thing going on, I figured I would stop by the Sheraton Thursday night. If only for the StreetPassing!

The Westin (connected to the convention center in Boston) was a veritable sea of CAH games every night.

• Missa_cupcakeMissa_cupcake Registered User new member
    It's my first year making it to PAX. Very excited. I am making a QR code sticker to put on my badge with my contact info on it so that it's easier to share my information with people I meet. :)

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    It's my first year making it to PAX. Very excited. I am making a QR code sticker to put on my badge with my contact info on it so that it's easier to share my information with people I meet. :)
    Ooooo, I like this idea... Thank you for it, I think I'm going to do the same! (I already have one for my name plate at work on the cube wall)

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • KevaduKevadu Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'll probably be going alone again this year. I'm local and a longtime PAX veteran so if anyone wants suggestion on things to do or places to go I'm happy to help. I'll probably be at the pre-PAX board game night too.

• Havoc0XBLHavoc0XBL Winslow, AZRegistered User new member
    Hello everyone. This is my first PAX and I will be going with a couple of my friends. I'd like to make new friends while there! :)

• UnfetteredUnfettered Registered User regular
    Howdy! for anyone interested in doing something outside of PAX on Saturday (myself, I only got Sun/Fri Passes) but is going to be in town on Sat, I'm looking for folks over at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165067/saturday-alternate-activities#latest . Basically, my initial idea is to do the Pilchuck hike (very easy, even for the worst code monkey) but I'm open to other ideas! Let's get together and do something fun on Saturday with a bunch of other nerds! (that were also unable to get 3-day passes)

Hufflepuff DE - HoH - Huffledrunk 4 Lyf!

RIP: uncomfortably hot tire vest

u want destiny raid? We be raidin'! XBL: Unfettered
  • UnfetteredUnfettered Registered User regular
    Also, this is only my second year going to PAX, but everyone I ran into last year was super-friendly, and it was easy to meet new people, you'll have a great time! I don't think I met anyone who's still a forever-alone after going to PAX!

Hufflepuff DE - HoH - Huffledrunk 4 Lyf!

RIP: uncomfortably hot tire vest

u want destiny raid? We be raidin'! XBL: Unfettered
  • CloudyIceCloudyIce Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    Hey, I've always wanted to go to PAX and this year I got tickets! I bought 2 and searched for someone who had the money to go down to Seattle with me (I live
    on Vancouver Island, so its just a drive down) Unfortunately I could not find someone who had the necessary things to go (money, passport, time, etc.)
    But I still want to go! So my question is how do I approach this, should I meet some people? Currently I'm a minor but I look about 17+. I don't know what to do, I hear it's a lot more fun to be with a group of people or something! That being said I would rather be with my own age group (later high school age to 19 or so)

Thanks, your friendly retro - modern gamer,
    ~CloudyIce

Also if this is in the wrong section or something like that, please tell me so I can move it. (I am newb to the PAX forums)

CloudyIce on
  • Wizardo75Wizardo75 Registered User new member
    Looking for a couple solos to make a group with? We would DEFINATELY be hitting up the Halo Reborn panel today... I'll save you a seat :)

This discussion has been closed.