As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a triple turtle [chat]

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I am surprised there are not ways of funding a poli sci grad degree. Not even TAing?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Ahahahahaha no. There are a couple of grants for grad school, but I don't even come close to qualifying for any.

So work towards getting qualified. You just have a terrible GPA or something, don't you? I thought you could fix that up some by doing some community college courses. I'm not an American, of course, so I don't know how your backwards system works in this regard.

Seriously, do the leg work to get qualified. Or find a more achievable way to work in your field. Dead ends don't exist unless you choose to make them exist.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, no. I'd need enough hours for another degree and a half to make my GPA anything resembling good, which would be ludicrously expensive even at Podunk U. Also, the qualifications for getting grad school grants are about your field—there's no money for learning about politics, as far as I can tell.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I am surprised there are not ways of funding a poli sci grad degree. Not even TAing?

Interning!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    me3
    Mordin : (

919UOwT.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Once I'm there, maybe, but the first step will be at a school that doesn't really do financial aid, particularly not work-study.
    Kagera wrote: »
    Interning!
    You don't really get money from "hey, work for us for free for several months and then we'll decide to hire a different slave".

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    daaaaaaaaamn does nyquil pack a wallop. still pretty wooozy

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, no. I'd need enough hours for another degree and a half to make my GPA anything resembling good, which would be ludicrously expensive even at Podunk U. Also, the qualifications for getting grad school grants are about your field—there's no money for learning about politics, as far as I can tell.

Work for politics in another capacity? It's an election year, volunteer/work for a campaign or something. Gain experience through leg work, you might not be able to be a professor but you can still make a decent life out of it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I'm just not sure how you think that a university is going to give you a free ride in exchange for teaching or anything when you don't have the GPA to support that you're actually good at that kind of thing, which is generally something universities look at when selecting people to educate at a higher level.

You're not in an easy position, especially if you're committed to going where you want to go, but them's the breaks. There are options available, you really just need to accept that you're going to have to work to get there.

You may have to suck it up and switch to something where there's money to be found. Or wait and see if the economy adds jobs you can snatch up.

• Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gooey wrote: »
    me3
    Paragon or Renegade?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Financially Valve is doing wonderfully and I love the company. But Half-Life 2 is what, 8 years old now? I am hesitant to use the word "owe" because it reeks of entitlement. But when you get involved in a story like Half-Life you are sold a bill of goods. One which is owed a payoff. Now I will happily wait as long as need be for that payoff. I trust Valve. But the idea that they shouldn't feel any push to work on that rings false. You can only hold out on your fans so long or you wind up with a situation like Indy 4 or Wall Street 2 or any other past-their-prime sequels. I would mention a certain character that takes names and chews bubblegum but his name is not worthy to be spoken in relation to Valve or Half-Life.

Um politics is about connections carrot. You could at least try it bro.

No there's no insta-win button to a career. That doesn't mean you won't get there with some good honest hardwork and ambition.

CC, what exactly do you want to do, again? Aren't you a poli-sci sort?

ezek1t.jpg
    Or, make a plan to save X amount of money for Y amount of time. Look for a part time degree. Maybe accept that you won't be able to go through your dream program.

The important thing is to not give up and sit around in your underwear looking whistfully out the window. There'll be plenty of time for that when you're retired and living in a home.

Lh96QHG.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    move to DC and work as a staffer

or get on staff in a home district

or work for a state senator or rep

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    I have trouble getting how people can be genuinely upset at Ep 3 not being out yet. There are so many distractions. So many. Even if gaming is your main hobby I'd still be shocked if you could keep up with all of the worthwhile experiences being pumped out these days.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    me3
    Paragon or Renegade?
    paragon I guess? he cured the genophage and died

919UOwT.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I have trouble getting how people can be genuinely upset at Ep 3 not being out yet. There are so many distractions. So many. Even if gaming is your main hobby I'd still be shocked if you could keep up with all of the worthwhile experiences being pumped out these days.

I'd like to note I'm not genuinely upset. There are tons of games that are closer to fruition that I'm looking forward to. But Half-Life 1 and 2 and the episodes left quite an impression on me at impressionable times in my life so there is a bit of nostalgic lust there

Ludious on
    Valve is going to release Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Part 2 just to fuck with everyone.

ezek1t.jpg
    Ludious wrote: »
    Financially Valve is doing wonderfully and I love the company. But Half-Life 2 is what, 8 years old now? I am hesitant to use the word "owe" because it reeks of entitlement. But when you get involved in a story like Half-Life you are sold a bill of goods. One which is owed a payoff. Now I will happily wait as long as need be for that payoff. I trust Valve. But the idea that they shouldn't feel any push to work on that rings false. You can only hold out on your fans so long or you wind up with a situation like Indy 4 or Wall Street 2 or any other past-their-prime sequels. I would mention a certain character that takes names and chews bubblegum but his name is not worthy to be spoken in relation to Valve or Half-Life.

I can't help but look at it from a developer perspective, and when a company has found a formula that has given them great success and a positive work environment I am inclined to encourage that. If they end up releasing episode 3 a long time from now and it bites them in the ass then that's a mistake they have to learn from, and that's also something that they embrace in their culture.

I must know how the story of the freeman ends!

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    CC - If you are able to find reasons why you shouldn't volunteer, volunteer A LOT in your situation, then I would be amazed. And a bit worried, to be honest.

I figure I could take a bear.
    Valve is going to release Half-Life 2: Episode 2: Part 2 just to fuck with everyone.

It will just be
    you flying the helicopter to the ship

me3
    Paragon or Renegade?
    Well he died for what he believed in! Also he's super fucking old for his species so it's not like he had much time left anyway.

If you're a wishy-washy bastard and then decide to go renegade last minute it ends much worse.

ezek1t.jpg

Yeah a lot of people say they are waiting for the game, but I have so many things I can be doing in my life that I never feel I am waiting for anything.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Yeah a lot of people say they are waiting for the game, but I have so many things I can be doing in my life that I never feel I am waiting for anything.

You can be expectant of specific future events without being bored in the present.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Except I guess about two weeks before release, wherein I start actively imagining how much better my life will be with this product, thus ensuring I will never truly be happy or content

I wonder when Guild Wars is coming out. . .

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    Drez wrote: »

You can be expectant of specific future events without being bored in the present.

No I mean the game just never crosses my mind, ever. Half-Life is my favorite game series of all time but I have it locked away until such a time it is appropriate to think about it.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh iron chef battle peaches

me3
    Paragon or Renegade?
    Well he died for what he believed in! Also he's super fucking old for his species so it's not like he had much time left anyway.

If you're a wishy-washy bastard and then decide to go renegade last minute it ends much worse.

these are all pretty big spoilers BTW
    It's almost worth being a wishy washy dick just to have Mordin explain how he was wrong. Such a good scene.

It's kind of a shame what goes down in ME3 when you play renegade. It's not really fun anymore. But, I guess asshole actions have to have asshole consequences eventually.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    I can't wait until the next Guild Wars 2 beta event. I will have time to play the whole weekend this time.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am not particularly interested in HL3 and don't care if it ever comes out, but I can certainly understand how, if someone were a big fan of it, they might be upset.

I mean suppose if after the end of Firefly and the film Serenity, Joss Whedon kept telling fans that more Firefly was "in the works" and a second season was being developed, and he kept stringing fans along year after year. I would be among those who would be both hopeful that he might yet do as he said, as well as increasingly agitated that he kept promising without delivering. However, since I know there will never be any more Firefly, I'm content that it's over.

Maybe what Valve needs to do is just come out and state that there is no HL3 and never will be.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

No I mean the game just never crosses my mind, ever. Half-Life is my favorite game series of all time but I have it locked away until such a time it is appropriate to think about it.

You are the betrayer of all things.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I am not particularly interested in HL3 and don't care if it ever comes out, but I can certainly understand how, if someone were a big fan of it, they might be upset.

I mean suppose if after the end of Firefly and the film Serenity, Joss Whedon kept telling fans that more Firefly was "in the works" and a second season was being developed, and he kept stringing fans along year after year. I would be among those who would be both hopeful that he might yet do as he said, as well as increasingly agitated that he kept promising without delivering. However, since I know there will never be any more Firefly, I'm content that it's over.

Maybe what Valve needs to do is just come out and state that there is no HL3 and never will be.

But Valve isn't stringing anyone along. Except for those Half-Life 3 shirts some developers were seen wearing they haven't really said anything about the next game in years. They haven't set any expectations except that there will be another game some point in the future.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    no other games matter to me or ever will matter to me now that i've played skryim

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    me3
    Paragon or Renegade?

He died the same way he lived
    singing musical parody

Why does the ticket oak in this stubhub commercial have a lazy eye?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, CNN projects, putting a ban that already existed in state law into the state's charter.

With more than 1.5 million votes counted from Tuesday's referendum, supporters of the ban led opponents by a margin of 61% to 39%, according to figures from the State Board of Elections. Its backers prepared to celebrate by serving wedding cake to their supporters in a Raleigh ballroom.

That's kind of amazing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Yeah more Skyrim content would go a long way for me.

Maybe open up another region.

This discussion has been closed.