As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter]

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
Carmageddon: Reincarnation is a re-boot of everything that made the original games such a blast to play. The new game will be inspired by the classic environments, cars, drivers and power-ups from the original, but dragged screaming and kicking into the current state of the rendered art. And of course, there will be a bunch of brand new STUFF too, including true rag-doll pedestrians and physics-based power-ups that let you mess with their limbs whilst wiping away the tears - of laughter!
What Do I Get For My Hard-Earned Dollars?

We've planned Carmageddon: Reincarnation as an iterative development project. This means that if we just make it to the $400k target, we'll be able to deliver Release #1 in February 2013. Kickstarter backers of $15 and above will receive Release #1 plus all subsequent releases.

If we exceed the $400k target, it'll allow us to include even more content in the first release. And if we smash the target, it'll also allow us to greatly expand the scope of the game, and to roll it out across more and more platforms, with Kickstarter backers getting to select their delivery platform of choice: consoles, tablets, phones, Macs, toasters, vibrating pillows, bananas... errrr.....

.....anyway! The higher our budget, the more it accelerates the development of major game features and get them in the game sooner, and the greater the ultimate scope of the game's content and delivery platforms. Wahoo! We all win!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w04i9zGL9ss
Kickstart here

Dev Blog

http://carmageddon.com/blog

Tez_Eagle01.jpg

C2B on

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    My first kickstart! Sniff sniff

I just found my PS1 Carmageddon disc a few days ago. Its still great fun.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    After watching that video and remembering fond times playing Carmageddon, I'm starting to think it was very much 'of its time'.

As he says in the introduction, a lot of the game was breaking new ground, but that ground was broken 14 years ago now and games have moved on. I've seen it a lot lately with remakes or rereleases of games like Twisted Metal, Crazy Taxi, House of the Dead, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill. What I've come to expect from games far surpasses what they can provide, so while I loved them once, now they don't have the substance I'd want.

I'm sure a new Carmageddon will be a blast, but it won't be as good as it was, and from what I can tell from the Kickstarter page, they're just wanting to bring the graphics and online functionality up to scratch without any more depth to the gameplay. Why don't they add a COD-esque levelling system or a Test Drive Unlimited persistent(ish) world?

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    holy moly, TDU with pedestrians does sound pretty awesome. Especially if you could throw in some crazy taxi and suddenly have a remake of both Carmageddon AND Quarantine.

I think you're right about it being of it's time. Hell Carmageddon 2 and that other sequel were pretty much outdated by the time they hit the shelves. I'd be in on this for the nostalgia factor alone, but I'm thinking I should cut down on trading my spare money for potential somethings...

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    never played the originals, but my interest is piqued

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is awesome. :O

Now if gog would release the first 2.

edit: So I'm debating between the 15 and 25 right now. I kind of want into the beta.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    $109,000 hit already and its only been up for 2 days! Bless you internet!

• Options
    PhurrehPhurreh Registered User regular
    I think you're right about it being of it's time. Hell Carmageddon 2 and that other sequel were pretty much outdated by the time they hit the shelves.

Not true, Carmageddon 2 was wayyy ahead of its time. The way it dealt with physics alone (especially visible when you started tweaking files to have fun with gravity) was amazing, and each level was incredibly packed with secrets and features, you could spend hours in each, had a sandboxy driving feel unlike anything since.

Now if I could throw my paypal money at them..

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Wasn't this announced some time ago without Kickstarter funding? I remember there being a thread on it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Although I enjoyed the hell out of the game way back when, I can't help thinking that it may have just been because I was a teenage boy.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »
    Although I enjoyed the hell out of the game way back when, I can't help thinking that it may have just been because I was a teenage boy.

While, I feel the same, I still went ahead and pledged.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Is this Car Wars?

I never played Carmageddon, but if it is anything like Car Wars I am sold.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I remember playing Carmageddon while in line for a blood drive. I seem to remember the news making kind of a big deal about it at the time.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    this is absolutely something I will get behind.

Carma could potentially make a decent current-gen game. as long as they focus on the DESTRUCTION, spearing and high-speed halfing of cars, they could hit a nice niche. Like imagine the car damage in GTA4 (some of my favorite detail to damage.) - but if it went as far as having chunks (a whole wheel, axis, windows, or the front end of the car) flying off? plus powerups? sign me up ten times.

I wanted Flatout to be my new carma so badly, but it never really scratched the itch the same way. The closest thing I found actually was RUSH (2049 to be specific.) but that had none of the fun damage.

also in before cunning stunt bonus.

:winky:
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    Carmageddon was so goddamn fun. Pushing the Police Tanks off of rooftops with Pinball Mode on wwhaaaaaaaaat.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2 are still the only 2 racing games I actually enjoy.

Only problem with 2 is that they inexplicably changed the civilians to zombies. Well, I say inexplicable because it made no sense to me, but I guess it made the mothers of the world a bit happier.

As long as it has the electro bastard ray and gravity from Jupiter I'll be happy.

Actually, the best powerup was pinball mode.

Also, Cunning Stunt bonus.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    I forgot the PSone version of Carmageddon was the censored one with zombies. It still rocks though. And when they get on theirb knees andb beg..... Yeah its still brutal Lol

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Man, we still play Carmageddon 2 at LANs by means of an IPX over TCP/IP wrapper.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Doth this work online? I'd love to play some Carmageddon 2 again.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Update

Hi everyone. First of all a massive THANK YOU for the early slingshot towards our target! It's been hugely exhilarating to see the Pledgeometer's rapid progress, and be well on our way in under 48 hours. It's brilliant, and we're all walking around the building with great big grins. BUT we really need to keep the momentum going, in order that we can reach the target, and beyooooond! So, please keep the buzz going for the project out there on the internets. Tweet, FB, Reddit, gaming forums, commenting on articles you're seeing out there... All that STUFF that'll keep the campaign rolling along!

We've been keeping a close eye on your comments, and quickly realised that we needed to adjust the Rewards a little, in order to bring the boxed copy of the game in at a lower tier. And so, we give you (ta-ran-ta-ra-tan-tan-tan-taaaaaaaaa!!):

rewards-box.jpg

KICK IN THE BOX: It’s the one everyone’s been waiting for! The GAME. On a DVD. In a BOX! We’ve done the math and it will only slightly bankrupt us. We’re adding the boxed game with the manual and game on a printed DVD in as a $150 level Reward. If anyone who pledged $350 wants to drop their pledge to $150 as a result, then please feel free! If anyone currently going for the t-shirt or bumper sticker level rewards wants to swap their pledge to the boxed game offer, now’s your chance. (+Previous Rewards below $150) (At $350 level, you’ll get all three $150 Reward offers.)

Thanks again everyone, and we'll see you again with another update (possibly featuring VIDEO, if you're particularly unlucky...) SOON!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    The mo
    Echo wrote: »
    Man, we still play Carmageddon 2 at LANs by means of an IPX over TCP/IP wrapper.

What a coincidence, I still have my Carma2 disc...

• Options
    .::IBA::.ZardoZ.::IBA::.ZardoZ dual What? TexasRegistered User regular
    I pledged $50! I'm glad these guys are halfway to their goal. Carmageddon is one of my favorite games.

:)

• Options
    Hello Kickstarter Friends!

Well, it's the end of the first week of our campaign, and we're so grateful to all of you for your support to date. I've wanted to post a new video for the last couple of days, today I finally got the time to make some notes and quickly burble a message to you all into my webcam. So, with apologies for the poor quality but with our sincere thanks for your backing of the project to date, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKoCD11DcBA

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was a Carmageddon fiend back in the day. When the third one came out and offered GameSpy Arcade internet play that was huuuuge! I even bought the UK version of the game (called "Carmageddon TDR 2000" instead of "Carmageddon 3: TDR 2000") so I could play with the more populous UK community.

(As an amusing side note, when Borderlands came to Steam I logged on to my GameSpy account for the first time since Carma3 and all my old racing buddies were still on my friends list.)

Sadly, they tried to make the game more of a "racing" game instead of the sandbox style that made the first two so great. You could still play the old way, but tighter time constraints and poorer bonuses for going off-track sort of pushed the "play it straight and race" motive.

I really hope they return to what the game was really about: winning races by mowing down pedestrians for time bonuses and eliminating all of the competition.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    So this looks pretty badass.

Donated. And may donate more if they get close to their goal :)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I...lol wut.

squashed-tim-schafer-e1336693281232.jpg

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Didn't you watch the video? They run over the Tim Schafer NPC as a joke in it. :D

• Options
    Upcoming reddit

Hi again guys!

Okay, our 2 hour Reddit AMA is now scheduled. It's going to be happening on Saturday, 19th May, and here are the times in Internationalspeak:

10pm UK time
    11pm Central Europe
    5pm New York/East Coast
    2pm Pacific/West Coast

Join us there, and we'll try to answer all your questions!

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Phurreh wrote: »
    I think you're right about it being of it's time. Hell Carmageddon 2 and that other sequel were pretty much outdated by the time they hit the shelves.

Not true, Carmageddon 2 was wayyy ahead of its time. The way it dealt with physics alone (especially visible when you started tweaking files to have fun with gravity) was amazing, and each level was incredibly packed with secrets and features, you could spend hours in each, had a sandboxy driving feel unlike anything since.

Now if I could throw my paypal money at them..

Yeah, old post, but I still gotta agree with you on how dumb it is.

Carmageddon 2 was released in 1998. Fully destructible vehicle models are still a rarity today.

I'm in agreement with the other poster that Carmageddon 3 was a disappointment, though. Mainly because I never thought of the first 2 as racing games. More like Twisted Metal without guns.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with the other poster that Carmageddon 3 was a disappointment, though. Mainly because I never thought of the first 2 as racing games. More like Twisted Metal without guns.

Carmageddon 3 wasn't made by Stainless though so it won't really matter for this one.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    It did have some good points. Many of the levels had very cool design (that begged for sandbox gameplay rather than straight up racing) and the multiplayer worked better than 2's.

Of course, it also had the exact same graphics as 2 (despite coming out in 2000), worse gameplay, and worse music.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The one thing I really hope they change is the way money, upgrades, and repairs worked.

Being able to salvage other cars is awesome. Being able to upgrade cars between races is awesome. Having to constantly spam the repair key during races is not and also made both multiplayer and singleplayer less interesting as it went on. The AI racers couldn't repair (and didn't get any upgrades), so if you used hit and run tactics the games were trivially easy, and in multiplayer everyone could repair, so if you didn't have a good powerup or a much heavier vehicle then it took forever to actually kill anyone.

I'd even be happier if they just gave repair a cooldown. It would make the singleplayer more exciting and dangerous and the multiplayer so much faster.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Missed the reddit. Sorry.

http://www.reddit.com/user/nobby_SG

Here's some quotes
    The original idea was a collaboration. Patrick and I did a Destruction Derby demo. SCi gave us a contract to make a game based on it, but with a view to it being based on the Deathrace 2020 license they were pursuing. That license fell through, so I came up with the new name "Carmageddon" and we made the game!
    We're still in the umm and aah stage over the new Eagle design. The big bike style exhausts are cool, and I'd like to use them somewhere even if it was on a different car.
    We've yet to hear from Tim or his lawyer, so now we've built him we might stick him in anyway. $3m bonus when you mow him down.
    Shark car. Modders will help you out, even if we don't get round to that one...
    Splitting is back. And so is spitting. And spiffing.
    Driver becomes ped shenanigans is beyond the current scope of Carma:R. but we DO have a habit of creeping our own features...

I hope you'll see us at beta too... Otherwise our MP code is borked!

Definitely closer to C1 than C2. The C2 missions - as you rightly point out - were a mistake. They came about very late in the development of C2, at a time when we'd spent the previous nearly 3 years making C1, Splatty, then C2, and for us the missions were a breeze! Unfortunately for most other peope they were a) too bloody difficult, and subsequently b) a barrier to progress.

We want to return to the unfettered "finish it whatever the fuck way you want" philosophy of C1.

Due to creeping senility, I've forgotten completely if SCi looked into getting the Mad Max license. I only remember Death Race 2020...

• Options
    Liking the return to C1 sandbox design. I have so many memories of just playing the demo over and over, seeing where I could go and what I could do. The fact that other cars would actively try to get to where I was, rather than just finish the race and win, was what made it possible.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So it's not going as fast as I thought it would, but it looks like it's got a good chance. It's down to less than 100,000 with over 2 weeks to go.

I kinda don't get the kickstarter community though. I've seen games on there that don't look like anything special at all get funded super fast. Why is a new freaking Carmageddon going so slow?

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    anoffday wrote: »
    So it's not going as fast as I thought it would, but it looks like it's got a good chance. It's down to less than 100,000 with over 2 weeks to go.

I kinda don't get the kickstarter community though. I've seen games on there that don't look like anything special at all get funded super fast. Why is a new freaking Carmageddon going so slow?

Because there's a difference between asking for less than $50'000 and asking for $400'000. The latter may not get as fast funded due to obvious reasons.

Or what games do you mean exactly?

C2B on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation/posts

Hi there Kickstarter buddies! And Welcome to the halfway point of our Carmageddon: Reincarnation Campaign! Yes, we've been running for 14 days, we have15 days left, and we're now over THREE QUARTERS of our way to the target.

We had an amazing boost today with another backer signing up to HANG ON TO YER HELMET, and taking on the role as one of the Drivers in the game. Fame and legendary status awaits, and a lifetime of being stopped by people shouting, "WOW! You're HIM out of CARMAGEDDON!!!", possibly leading to actual worship by some future culture, a couple of years after the apocalypse.

We're all deeply envious, a feeling that will only be suppressed once we've seen him hurled through the windshield of his very cool car a few times... and getting impaled on a spiky fence... a rusty one.*

So, back to business... We've been listening to you guys, and discussing what more we can do to show how much your support means to us, and how we take your comments seriously. We want you to see that we will be making changes and reacting to your input, throughout the course of the project, starting as early as we possibly can - like NOW! So, tomorrow we'll be making some more changes to the Rewards tiers, adding some new Rewards (we removed a couple of duffers today), and generally spicing up the whole caboodle for everyone.

We'll also have a video Update for you tomorrow, with EVEN MORE important NEWS!

But for now, I'm signing off with another great big "THANK YOU KICKSTARTER FRIENDS!!!" from the team here at Stainless. You're amazing, your support is awesome, and we're heading for a FANTASTIC second half of our Campaign. We have lots of cool stuff still to share, starting tomorrow!

* All this will only happen to our backer once they've been immortalized inside the game. Not in real life, honest. We don't need to do the spiky fence thing for real and film it for reference purposes. I'm sure we don't. No way. Wait, what's that Sim..? We DO need to do this for real and film it for reference purposes? Are you sure? Ah. Okay. Well, let's just keep that between ourselves, okay?

C2B on
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »

Because there's a difference between asking for less than $50'000 and asking for $400'000. The latter may not get as fast funded due to obvious reasons.

Or what games do you mean exactly?

I guess I mean these new IPs, which I don't have a problem with, it just doesn't make sense that those can get funded faster than a new game in a series that most of us enjoyed a long time ago.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I guess I mean these new IPs, which I don't have a problem with, it just doesn't make sense that those can get funded faster than a new game in a series that most of us enjoyed a long time ago.

Still, which new IP's? The only one I can think of that were remotly in that range (300'000+) that was funded fast was The Banner Saga. And that profited from beeing near the beginning of the Kickstarter Craze.

Other than that? There's nothing.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/successful?ref=more#p2

C2B on
  • Options
    Up your pledge to $25 and you get Carma+Expansion on GoG when it's out? Hells yeah.