As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How much to spend on an engagement ring?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
This is kind of a touchy subject and I think it's difficult to ask people in real life, face to face, how much they spent on their engagement ring and what percentage of that was their total income.

I've been with the same girl for 3 years now, she's the one, and we've stuck together with one cross country move and me starting and finishing graduate school.

I graduate on May 21st and will start my new employment at $140k a year this July.

I've wanted to propose to her for a while, but never had the money to do so.

So, am I supposed to wait until October or so to save up the 'standard' 1/4th your annual income to propose? Is spending over 30 grand on an engagement ring even something people do?

I don't really feel that comfortable spending that much money, but I have no idea where I fall on this curve of what 'most people spend'.

Anyway, PA, thoughts? Any of you willing to do some information gathering on what you spent and how much you make?

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Spend what you feel comfortable with. Most of the hype you hear has been spread by debeers anyways because they make a mint off of pretty carbon rocks.

Personally I'd shoot for $1000 max. I spent $400 and I make $50,000 roughly.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    DO NOT spend 30K on an engagement ring, that's a horrible idea. The 1/4th bullshit is completely fabricated by the diamond companies because a long time ago they owned a big pile of pretty but commonly occurring, non rare stones and they wanted to make money off of them.

Bowen's got the right idea. Since you are making better money, 1-4K is nice, but nothing over that.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is hugely dependent on your lady friend, and by extension on your own approach to your relationship. While the three months salary is total and absolute horse shit, some women from wealthier backgrounds would probably have an expectation that is higher than what many people here will advocate you spend. Do you know anything about your lady's taste in jewelery? I'd recommend that, at a minimum, the rock you give her be nicer than any other diamonds she owns. If she doesn't own any other diamonds and you're both the sort to avoid excessive extravagance, $1000-3000 on the ring would probably be a good budget on your salary. If you feel like you need to really do it up fancy, feel free to double that.

Edit: I used a family diamond that had belonged to my mother, so I didn't have to figure this out. However, even though my spending ability was pretty good, my fiance's mother wears a $200 wedding ring like it's the hope diamond, and she'd never have asked me to spend a penny more. If I'd spent huge chunks, she'd have been pissed. This really, really comes down to your lady.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also start saving for the honeymoon instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    Wow. Do NOT spend 30k on an engagement ring. Save that 30k for the 25th or 50th wedding anniversary. As what the previous people said, if your woman comes from a wealthy background then you may want to spend a little more than anticipated. But honestly, 1k is more than enough for an engagement ring. The rock I got for my wife was $800 and the wedding wrap was another $230. We have been married for 11 years now.

Signature??
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    For some other information, my lady is a registered nurse (of course), who currently wears at most, a single ring she bought while studying abroad in Mexico.

She owns no diamonds, wears real simply jewelry - nothing extravagant at all.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    In contrast to 1/4, I spent what I felt was right and what I could afford (on a store card that I paid off before interest hit), even as a broke college student when I proposed which happened to be more than 1/4 what I was making at the time, but just 2 years later and it was like 2% of what I made instead of 25%, because I graduated and got a good job.

If I were in your situation (granted I don't have your whole financial picture) I'd spend somewhere between $2-5k. Also, she may not like the look of a giant rock on her finger, or may be uncomfortable walking around with anything more than 2k on her finger all the time. I know I wouldn't want to walk around with a 30k ring on my finger everyday.

I personally got this but didn't pay that much for it 6 years ago.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I ended up spending about $700 on the one for my wife, primarily because it was perfect for her tastes. That's what matters, not the dollar figure. Some women prefer more simple jewelry. Some prefer Madison Square Garden on their hand. Just pick what you think she would like/be happy with instead of worrying about some imaginary acceptable dollar figure.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't make anywhere near 140k a year, so perhaps my input is suspect. But I overall maintain that her being happy with the item supersedes concerns about it being perceived as too cheap or expensive.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I've had friends who went ring shopping to get an idea of the sort of thing the lady was into. I assume that's a good way to get a feel for what she'd want as well as the cost that makes her go, wow that's so expensive. I have no idea how you have the conversation if you want the engagement to be a surprise. But the, screw surprises, it's a big decision getting married.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    One thing that's going to just hard to get around is the gold(or platinum) for the physical ring itself. It's $1600 an ounce right now. For reference a Krugerrand which weighs 1oz, is 32.6mm x 2.84mm, roughly the size of a Kennedy Half Dollar coin.

Then there's the stone. The whole diamond as engagement ring this is pretty much a marketing ploy from the 20s that's stuck. Prior to that various colored stones were the norm. This is something some women have very strong feelings about, so it's something you are probably going to want to figure out here exact feelings on. Because if you are getting the traditional engagement ring a huge amount of the actual cost will be THE ROCK.

But 30k is just pants on head insane. You could get a OMFG ring(for someone not raised as a socialite) for like 5k. But given that she's a nurse, I can see a real need to avoid a giant ass solitaire style ring. You know what a diamond cuts, everything.

Before I went shopping I spent a lot of time on bluenile.com. They have like a build your own ring app thing, that's a nice way to get a feel for all the various settings etc.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    For some other information, my lady is a registered nurse (of course), who currently wears at most, a single ring she bought while studying abroad in Mexico.

You sort of answered your own question. If she's got simple tastes, get something simple. Anything in the $1000-2000 will be great.

As well, she's a nurse. Pratically, is she going to want to wear a rock or something smaller and more practical?

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Consider/investigate synthetic diamonds. Don't let the word synthetic mislead you: they're real diamonds, they're just made in a lab.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    in the end it's what is right for you and your fiance to decide how much to spend.
    but another way to look at it - it's also regional and income class based. for example, where I live where most people i run with make between 50-150 k a year, no one I know who proposed spent less then $20k on their ring within the last four years. This is about nine people all ages 25-30. on the other hand as i pointed out to my wife that is equivalent to a car. the next person we know got a mini cooper instead of a ring. a car gets you places and a ring does not. that was more right for them.
    full disclosure my wife's ring cost i think 20k and she picked it out and was with me when she bought it. in the round bout way, her family paid for the ring and it came at very little cost to me so i am not sure i would use me as an example. i also got two very nice watches bartered out of the deal *at additional cost* so i had incentive to pick up the ring.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Well there's your answer then. Also, don't spend 30K on something that your wife to be will most likely be taking off for long periods of time daily.

I don't know exact stats or anything, but I've got a lot of family that works in the medical industry and losing rings isn't uncommon.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I almost spit coke on my monitor when you said 30k. That is most certainly marketing BS spread by the diamond companies (little known fact: Diamonds aren't actually that rare, almost all the rareness is artificial).

Someone earlier suggested synthetic diamonds, and I agree. They are just as real as ground diamonds, and in many cases, more brilliant with better clarity (less flaws). They also cost a hell of a lot less because "lulz sentimental value". With gold and platinum at the prices they are at, you're going to spend more on the band than the stone anyway.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Man at 140k you can afford some nice rings. 30k is insane, but take her ring shoping, you should be able to get her something that she will love and show off to all her friends for, say 4k. Something really, really nice. Since money clearly isn't an issue I say why not?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Because it's a piece of jewelry that as a nurse she likely rarely wear, or possibly lose?

If you want to spend that kind of money, get her something she can wear all the time (a diamond necklace for instance), and spend less on the ring which is going to essentially be a costume piece, or lost.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, the ruling I go with is one months pay. More if you have a shitty income, less if you have awesome income, you silly goose.

Even if money was no object, I wouldn't spend more than 7-8k on a ring and I'll tell you why. I was a security guard for a gated community of rich jews. This one old guy who was a retired contractor, filthy rich, but had that way about him that you get when you do physical labor all your life, very pragmatic, very straightforward. He was hilarious and would stop and bullshit at the gate whenever he came through, bitching about being jewish, having to live with a bunch of other jews. Well, one night his wife called up in a panic. She had dumped some garbage down the chute they use in the 4-story condos and knocked her $30k diamond ring off when she pulled her hand out. She was not interested in being calmed down even a little bit, and I resigned myself to digging through the garbage, as the chute drops into a rather large dumpster. Took about half an hour, but finally dug it up for her, and yo could actually see the relief spread through her. Never mentioned it the guy, but a few days later he drops off an envelope with a good thank you note inside.

Anyway, you can spend some decent coin on a good ring with your phenomenal income, but if it's too valuable, it simply won't be practical to wear.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Consider/investigate synthetic diamonds. Don't let the word synthetic mislead you: they're real diamonds, they're just made in a lab.

I'd not do this. As far as I am aware lab create diamonds arent currently made in gem quality. (Actually, there may have been one place, but I cant remember what it was off the top if my head. If you find one that is made it will be called "lab created" not synthetic. Ones they call synthetic arent real diamonds. And really, with all the money you make why bother putting the time into researching them? Your time is probably more valuable then the time you would spend.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Lab diamonds and synthetic diamonds are terms for the same thing, even if one is a misnomer (because synthetic would indicate it's not made of carbon). They are made in gem quality today. In fact, do you know how to tell a lab created diamond from a ground harvested one? The primary way gemologists tell is that the lab created diamond will be too perfect. No natural occurring flaws.

The reason he would go that route is two fold. One it saves him money on an artificially rare item. In addition, he could sleep soundly knowing he wasn't giving any money to DaBeers, which is probably one of the most vile, evil companies on the face of the planet. Who do you think owns all those blood diamond mines? At the very least, he should demand certification that the diamond he purchases isn't a western African blood diamond. Yes, people sell diamonds with this certification. It will cost you more.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you get into moral objections to buying a new diamond, yeah, don't buy an actual synthetic diamond. Buy a synthetic of a different type. Moissanite is popular.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Lab diamonds and synthetic diamonds are terms for the same thing, even if one is a misnomer (because synthetic would indicate it's not made of carbon). They are made in gem quality today. In fact, do you know how to tell a lab created diamond from a ground harvested one? The primary way gemologists tell is that the lab created diamond will be too perfect. No natural occurring flaws.

The reason he would go that route is two fold. One it saves him money on an artificially rare item. In addition, he could sleep soundly knowing he wasn't giving any money to DaBeers, which is probably one of the most vile, evil companies on the face of the planet. Who do you think owns all those blood diamond mines? At the very least, he should demand certification that the diamond he purchases isn't a western African blood diamond. Yes, people sell diamonds with this certification. It will cost you more.
    A quick search only finds me one place, gemesis diamonds, which sells gem quality lab created diamonds. It just started selling them in march. So that may be a way to go. Anything before that appears to be places selling "synthetic diamond imitant" and thing like that. I'd advise caution and a careful look at the wording if you do decide to go that way.

Gnome does make an excellent point that it would be a great way to avoid moral quandries.

Edit: a bit more looking, there seems like there are a few other places that have them these days, but some of those are labeled, " lab created simulant" so once again, just whatch what you shell out money for.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    You shouldn't feel pressured by any 'standard' because that standard was both created and inflated over time by the diamond companies themselves. First it was one month, then two, then three, etc etc. Hell, even the modern list of anniversary gifts being almost all jewelry is no coincidence.

If a diamond ring is her and your thing, then more power to you, but figure out whats you both think is reasonable.

There are other options as well. Synthetic diamonds, other stones/gems (both entirely different and ones that look like diamond*), or antiques all are a ways you can get 'more' for a hell of a lot less.

*Moissanite for example is really pretty cool. Its got a higher refraction index so its more 'sparkly'. It got a pretty cool history - most of them are synthetic but the first discovered source of moissanite was from meteors.

• Options
    Moissanite is one of my favorites. Impossible for the untrained eye to tell it's not a diamond, none of the moral quandary of supporting a blood industry.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Personally, $30,000 is pretty redick. On the otherhand, I wouldn't have felt comfortable giving my wife a sub $1000 engagement ring.
    Ultimately, spend what you feel comfortable with spending and fuck the haters.

Blue Nile is pretty boss. Here's a page that shows what other people have recently purchased.

http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-rings?track=tam

For what it's worth (nothing), I think a good range for stone size is .7c to 1.5c. 2 carats and over looks clownish, unless you are either royalty or the pope.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Something that you've chosen in her style is so much more important than $ value.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular

You might want to be talking about this with her, then. It's possible that she doesn't even care to have one.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    A quick look at gemesis shows that lab created diamonds are still not commercially worthwhile. Most of their "colorless" stones are J, which is garbage. They're still a ways away from toppling the douchebags at DeBeers.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Personally, $30,000 is pretty redick. On the otherhand, I wouldn't have felt comfortable giving my wife a sub $1000 engagement ring.

Blue Nile is pretty boss. Here's a page that shows what other people have recently purchased.

http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-rings?track=tam

For what it's worth (nothing), I think a good range for stone size is .7c to 1.5c. 2 carats and over looks clownish, unless you are either royalty or the pope.

I did do a google image search for '2 carat ring on hand' and yeah, that shit looks absolutely bonkers. I think 1 - 1.5 is the maximum.

The only thing I know about the moral quandary is from that movie, Blood Diamond. I would prefer that my money wasn't going to go support an industry built on exterminating a population.

Moissanite sounds really cool so I'll look into that.

I appreciate the information guys, but I was hoping NOT to talk it over with her because that kind of ruins the whole exercise of me thinking about what she wants and what would fit her most, right? Also, she told me she thought it was tacky when a girl just tells the guy what kind of ring to get (a mutual couple we know had the bride just tell the groom what she wanted). So I'm trying to stretch myself here.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Oh okay, that's legit.

Spend whatever you're comfortable spending, then, and she'll love it since it's from you.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    One other thing is to propose with a vacation attached to the less valuable ring. I know of a few people who've done that, as 1-2k ring+5k vacation is pretty rad, and it gives you something to remember together, rather than a rock.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Getting the right size ring (as in stone and appearance) is very important and don't let sales people push you into size matters.
    We stayed under 1ct originally for my wife as she has tiny midget hands (being a decently tall midget and all) we did end up with a 1.2ish stone after some fighting over quality of the original stone... anything bigger would have been comically oversized like cocktail jewlery on her hand.

• Options
    notmetalenoughnotmetalenough Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely get a lab made diamond, if getting a diamond at all.

Otherwise get a simulant.

Lab made diamonds are laser etched just so they can be distinguished from mined diamonds. To a jeweler the difference is basically indistinct. To some women, the difference is very important.

http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/4339-where-to-buy-synthetic-diamonds/page__pid__17818#entry17818

I suggest you share this information with your hopefully future fiancee, but no one will actually be able to tell the difference between a simulant, a lab made diamond or a real diamond with the naked eye.

Samael the Radiant Faced-- Official Naming, Going Nuclear, Click on the Quest, Make She Run and Guild Measurements Officer - Clawshrimp & Co, Draenor-US
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    What everyone else says about $30k being ridiculous, and looking into alternatives to natural diamonds (whether that is lab-created diamonds, or another stone) is absolutely correct.

Also correct is that this really comes down to what your fiancée-to-be wants. I can understand if you want this to be a surprise, but you really should either consult with her to find out what she wants, or, barring that, check with her family (mother or sisters are probably ideal) or friends of hers who can keep their mouths shut.

Alternatively, propose with a simple gold "placeholder" band, and then go shopping for a fancier wedding ring later with her. It's one thing if you're a dude who knows jewelry and knows his girlfriend's tastes, but trying to buy something like this in the dark is really not something you should be doing. It's something she's going to be wearing for the rest of her life, so you want her to think it's awesome.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I did do a google image search for '2 carat ring on hand' and yeah, that shit looks absolutely bonkers. I think 1 - 1.5 is the maximum.

The only thing I know about the moral quandary is from that movie, Blood Diamond. I would prefer that my money wasn't going to go support an industry built on exterminating a population.

Moissanite sounds really cool so I'll look into that.

I appreciate the information guys, but I was hoping NOT to talk it over with her because that kind of ruins the whole exercise of me thinking about what she wants and what would fit her most, right? Also, she told me she thought it was tacky when a girl just tells the guy what kind of ring to get (a mutual couple we know had the bride just tell the groom what she wanted). So I'm trying to stretch myself here.

Since she'll never be able to wear it at work anyway, don't go crazy. My wife is also an RN, and she's gotten so used to not wearing her ring at work that she hardly ever wears it all.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i personally would suggest going with clairty and cut over size. that extra sparkle makes things pop.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    By the way - pricescope.com has a ton of info on this stuff.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So, I hadn't read this before I posted, and I recognize that this is largely the cultural line pressed by society, but frankly, it's kind of crazy. Even if you did know something about jewelry, you would still have no idea what she likes, and no real way to figure it out. Sure, I guess you could go through her jewelry box full of... stuff she never wears...? How would you know what of what's in there she actually likes, what she inherited, what were gifts, etc.?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it is absolutely fair for her to expect you to know things about her, and have consideration in some respects, like if you talk to her and know she's having a bad day, you pick up some of her favorite flowers on your way home, or something like that; she is basically expecting you to be a fucking wizard here, though, and I think it's much better to be seen as unromantic and/or tacky than it is to drop a few thousand dollars on a ring she doesn't like, that she's going to be expected to wear for the rest of her life.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    i personally would suggest going with clairty and cut over size. that extra sparkle makes things pop.

This.
    schuss wrote: »
    By the way - pricescope.com has a ton of info on this stuff.

Also this.

A smaller, high quality diamond is much better than a giant, ugly rock. At $30k you could certainly have both, but it'd be silly. Making up a number for example, 80% of the budget should go to quality, and 20% to the quantity.

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    I make about 30k a year, and I spent $250 on my wife's ring. She loves it, and that's all that matters. Think about the kind of things she likes and get something that fits her.

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
This discussion has been closed.