As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how i buy mattress

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to replace my current mattress, which is a cheap foam ikea mattress, and which I only got back in 2010 because I was desperate for a mattress quickly, they had free home delivery, and figured I would replace it soon when I had time to look. (I did want the ikea latex one they had, that's what I had really wanted but it was out of stock 2 weeks in a row and I didn't have time to wait).

But I put off getting a new mattress forever, and I need a new mattress, because I can't sleep properly anymore, I suspect because the foam absorbs and retains the heat, and then it is just too damn hot. And I am prone to overheat when sleeping.

So where should I look to get a mattress, and specifically one that is firm and keeps you cool... keeping cool is the most important thing (and why I liked that latex mattress... might consider that again).
Also, the fact that I don't have a car or anything, and live on the 4th floor of a walkup apartment, so getting delivery would be important. From what I gather, in general, mattress shopping can be confusing and full of mattresses that are the same, named different things at different places, etc. etc.

Costco doesn't do delivery on mattresses do they?

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Go lie on one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60206913/

Also, you may want to consider a bed fan. They're kind of bracket-shaped and help air circulate under the covers.

Artereis on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Not sure about costco but i know places like sams and bj's warehouse clubs typically dont deliver unless you order it online.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I'll occasionally wake up with backache and have been shopping for a better mattress for a long time, but i always balk cause its so hard to tell what you find comfortable just by laying on it once in the store, and whats going to eventually give you backache.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    It's probably different at places like IKEA or Costco, but if you venture into a Macy's sort of place, remember that buying a mattress is like buying a car. You're supposed to haggle the price down, get freebies thrown in, ward off offers of free undercoating, etc.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I got a very good price on a memory foam mattress on Overstock.com. They deliver, of course, and it's more manageable compared to a non-foam mattress.

I ordered a 9" memory foam mattress that was cheap-ish, and it was warmer. I then upgraded to a larger bed&frame about 6 months afterward, and spent about $390 on a queen 11" memory foam mattress with more air pockets and more airy foam, and it's definitely cooler compared to the previous mattress. I too tend to be warm during the night (sleeping with just a sheet if the room is above 74F) and have occasional back pain, and there's really only two things to deal with the back pain -- back exercising regularly to improve your posture, and a firm, supportive mattress. I really like the memory foam for the support, but the exercising has cured more of my back pain compared to the mattress.

What's your price range, and what size bed are you looking for?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Some info...

A mattress should be placed on a box spring, or a foundation, or directly on the floor as a last resort. The foundation is nothing but an upholstered wooden box, and provides no additional support. The Box spring has a spring system inside, and actually provides 60% of the actual bed system support.

Never put a new mattress on an old box spring, or you will quickly have a crappy new mattress that has settled into all the depressions of the old box spring.

Mattresses used to be dual sided, and you could, and should, flip them from time to time to even out wear. Most often in the beginning, then less so later in life. Most mattresses are now just 1 sided, so all you can do is turn them to even out wear. Mattress companies will claim this is an improvement, it is a lie.

You really should lay on any mattress for a few minutes in the position you sleep in prior to buying it. You would not buy shoes without trying them on and walking around the store and mattress are no different. If you are shy, ask the sales person to leave you alone for a while.

Never buy a used mattress cause, ew.

Prices vary considerably, and there are often sales. Look for one, delivery may be extra but is usually doable. Few people can transport their own mattress safely.

How long do you plan on using this mattress? If your intention is anything over several years. Then consider investing in a quality one. You will spend in excess of 1/3rd of your life on it so you should be comfortable. Also, the other 2/3rds will be effected by how well you slept. Don't be afraid to spend some cash. For a Twin Mattress and box spring. $200 is a good starting place.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Never buy a used mattress cause, ew.

Isn't this also illegal?

Swear I'd heard that somewhere before.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Gross, but not illegal. Now removing any tags from it before it reaches its final consumer, well it says on the tag itself that's unlawful to do so, but I don't think people buying used mattresses would care.

• Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's worth investing in a good mattress as a serious quality of life issue. Wife spent $600 on our current mattress, and I was in a little bit of shock over it, but sweet fancy moses, it is incredibly comfortable. It's got this additional cushion thing on top that is just extra soft and feels great.

Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So, I am a notorious cheapskate among my friends, always looking for a deal/sale/what have you.

When it came time to buy a mattress, I showed up at a mattress store during their July 4th sale, tried a dozen beds, and paid retail (well, on-sale retail) for the firmest queen they had in the store. It is probably literally the best value I have ever gotten out of a single purchase in my life. You spend a third of your life there, so it's worth dropping some serious cash on it if you can afford it. I got out the door (mattress + cover + box spring) for about $1000.

At the least, it's worth going into a store and trying out beds to figure out what you like, how firm you might actually want it, etc.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I walked into a mattress store. I played hard to get. Really hard to get. I told her I was a slide sleeper. She set me up on numerous cushy mattresses that are good for side sleepers. Then I asked her about the cheapest one. Then I bargained for free delivery. Then I had her drop the box spring because I have one of those ikea bedframes with the slat system on the bottom.

Then I walked away.

I told her I had to pop it into my budget to see how it worked. She immediately offered to take off another $100. I wasn't even trying for that. I was happy with the price she'd given me, but I'd take another $100 off! I had her write down that quote and came back a few days later to make good on it.

Seriously, the best thing you can do in any negotiation with a sales person is show a lot of interest, make them work on you, and then walk away.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Gross, but not illegal. Now removing any tags from it before it reaches its final consumer, well it says on the tag itself that's unlawful to do so, but I don't think people buying used mattresses would care.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_states_is_it_illegal_to_sell_used_mattresses

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hmm, intriguing

thank you all for the advice so far

and yeah, i have the ikea bed with the slats, i guess i wouldn't need a box spring? right? or what

poo
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Memory foam is awesome.

Overstock sells memory foam at crazy good prices.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    hmm, intriguing

thank you all for the advice so far

and yeah, i have the ikea bed with the slats, i guess i wouldn't need a box spring? right? or what

You could get a box spring if you want, it would just be really tall. Though if you're in a 4th floor walkup a boxspring might not go up the stairs anyway. You can get boxsprings that come in two parts, but then you need a special bedframe for split boxsprings. I learned that the hard way. :(

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    You can get a foundation or a box spring. Both are available in Low Profile versions that can make up for any of the height issues you may have.

Split box springs are also available. Please measure your door frames and have some idea of the distance between stairs, doors and and turns on your staircase. Mattresses bend, box springs and foundations do not.

Memory Foam is also awesome. I have a tempurpedic mattress myself, and i love it. But they can be very expensive. They are not all created equal either, memory foam and tempur material are not the same thing, though they are similar. Some places will have a little demo stand with the 3 materials, foam latex, memory foam and tempur material and a weight that you can see how the 3 react differently to pressure.

Another thing to consider. Your weight. If yo are a tiny person then you will find more mattress comfortable then others. If you are a bigger person, then you will find that mattresses wear more quickly, even higher quality ones.

Oh, one more thing. Firm is not always best, you want a mattress that conforms to the curves in your body. Soft does not = unsupportive any more then firm does equal it. Sleep on the floor for a night and see how you feel, nothing more firm then that.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    As Thundyrkatz said earlier, you really should try a matress before buying it, just to avoid getting something too soft/hard, whatever your preference/needs.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just bought a new bed last week, and the best advice is to go in to a store and lie down on a whole bunch of them for five or ten minutes each. I found a mattress that is amazing and I was able to get it + the bedframe + delivery for less than $1000. The bedframe has a flat surface and doesn't need a boxspring/foundation.

One thing about memory foam. I tried out a couple of them and the salesperson there told me that the thing about memory foam is that it lessens tossing and turning, but it retains heat, so if you have trouble with overheating at night, memory foam may not be for you.

But definitely try it out - it was pretty comfortable.

I ended up going with one of the softest mattresses the store had. It was delivered on Tuesday and it's been really great.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Look around too,

I got a 'second' queen size mattress and spring box for just a little over $300. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the mattress.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have a Tempurpedic, and I'll never go back. Obviously they are on the pricey end, but a quality memory foam from Overstock will do just fine if paying for a full price Tempur isn't your thing. We got my daughter a twin memory foam setup off of Overstock, and it's been great for her. The quality ones will have air channels to keep it cool at night. Without those air channels, memory foam can get VERY warm (as it's a heat reactive material).

For a memory foam mattress, you either need a platform bed, the roll out slots from Ikea (the one's that only have an inch or so of space in between them), or a foundation. Do not use a box spring or slats that are too far apart. You will ruin the mattress and likely void any warrant you have. For Tempurpedic specifically, you WILL void the 20 year warranty if not used with an approved foundation (they sell one of their, plus some other companies sell one that is approved, like Englander).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Sears and holiday sales. Independence day, labor day, veterans day, etc.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My experience with mattress shopping is that it basically amounts to either a waiting game, or a willingness to walk away game. We bought a new mattress fairly recently. Spent about an hour in the store. The first mattress we were shown, which was very comfortable, came with a 2800 dollar pricetag according to the salesman. For the next hour we went from mattress to mattress in the store, going back and forth with the salesperson. Finally as we started to express reluctance, he suddenly offered up a 'mismatched' box spring and mattress deal which dropped the price of the first one we'd been on below anything else we'd been offered.

We considered, then I asked him to drop another 100 off the price, he pretended to do some calculations and then agreed, and we got our great mattress at a great price.

My advice is to go in there with lots of time, play hard to get like a motherfucker, and don't buy anything until you're satisfied. The salespeople tend to have enormous flexibility in their price offerings, so take advantage of that. Comparison shopping will be impossible, by the way, because every store carries a differently named variant of the same mattress. The best thing you can do is find a comfortable mattress, get the lowest price quote you can from them, then repeat that process at a few other stores. End of the day, go with the best value for money and you're set.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Like others have said, go into stores and lie on them for a bit & see how you feel, then check out the price. That is how me & my wife selected ours over the years.

Also, the store I went to allowed for returning the mattress in 30 days if we were not satisfied, provided we we used a mattress pad.

• Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking about getting a Tempurpedic mattress but I have kind of an awkward question. I have heard about them being very 'heat reactive' and am wondering if this negatively impacts Sexy Time. I just wouldn't want to bring someone home, have things go well, and then feel the mattress turn into a bed of hot coals...And I can't exactly test things out in the store.

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Mattress places like Sleepy's or Tempurpedic, etc ALL work on commission sales - they are like used car salesmen. Those showrooms have over inflated crazy prices.
    Go to Costco or a department store like Sears, or Macys, etc. They have just a comfy beds without the silly goose sales people. They still got sales people, but I've never seen a Sears employee actually attempt a high pressure sale.

This discussion has been closed.