As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony and the PSP. Okay, and the DS too, fine.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    do sony make money on psps yet?

According to Sony, for a good long while. 6-8 months in, I believe.

Then why haven't they lowered the price recently? The hardware sales were down 72 percent when compared to the 2005 holiday season.

Uh, why would they lower the price on a profit-making hardware?

Because that's what consoles do, they get price drops a year or two in?

It's about all that's holding me back at this point, honestly. It's terrible that it's still exactly the same as when it began.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    My girlfriend and I both bought PSPs at launch. Mine broke within a month or so (the latch closing the disc drawer broke), which kind of validated my general prejudice about Sony shipping products of shoddy manufacture.

I actually kind of liked the platform, though it had clear flaws. I liked:

* the little twiddly joystick thing
    * the big, bright screen
    * that hovercraft racey game
    * the ability to wirelessly play with someone else
    * the packed-in earbuds fit my ears nicely

I didn't like:

* most of the games
    * the form factor - too big to fit in a pocket or whip out in the subway
    * the shoddiness of the manufacture
    * the layout of the controls - it took like three minutes for my hands to cramp up.
    * the short battery life
    * the fact that few of the games were really well-suited to quick pick-up and put-down

I never used any of the multimedia things, and never fucked with the homebrew nightmare. UMD movies were priced way way above what was appropriate, and I never bought one.

I jury rigged the disc case, so it was basically playable (though it looked really lame with dental foss all hanging out of it). Whenever FF Tactics drops for it, I might dig it out and play for a while.

I don't regard the PSP as a fiasco or anything like a lot of people around here seem to. Honestly, I kind of liked it, even if it seemed underutilized and kind of hobbled by some of Sony's corporate considerations (like charging full price for UMD movies).

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    What is this thread about?

Emulation?

It's about a mod using the forum for a social experiment: Will letting people bitch about Sony in 2 threads stop the overrun of Sony bitching?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »

Now, I'm not normally one for monopolies, but Nintendo didn't really seem to abuse this monopoly, in a way that hurts the consumer.

So, my question is, why do we, as consumers, support this second company, when all it does, is make our lives, as consumers more difficult, in that we have to purchase a second handheld gaming device?

Uh... what? A competing product makes things more difficult for the consumer? I don't really think you're making a lot of sense here.

Yeah, because you have to buy two, whereas, if all the good games were on one handheld, you would only have to buy one.

Now theres still a flaw in the argument, but thats the logic.

The gigantic, gaping hole in his argument being, "There's more than one company on Earth, dumbass."

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chen wrote: »
    The PSP is still very popular in Japan largely thanks to its solid exclusives such as Monster Hunter. The sequel sold 700,000 copies in its first week which is nothing to laugh at. You can't call it a failure because a competitor does a better job at penetrating the market and supplying a healthier library. That's like saying the N64 failed. I can't imagine the PSP2 not coming out in the near future, unless Sony is in real financial trouble.

Errr... the N64 kinda is considered a failure by a lot of people. Even hardcore Nintendo fans.
    It depends on what context. Market share? Yes. Financially? No. The Dreamcast on the other hand...

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PSP annoys me since it doesn't have enough games that I like to warrant buying it, but it 'steals' games that I want to play (such as Silent Hill and Ratchet and Clank).

Magus` on
  • AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PSP is being validated after a long while, I think at least. Launch titles were abysmal, and most can agree to that. It has taken a long time to get the library that it has now. In the future it will only get better, with more sequels coming to it, and with the offer of old games that are finished up a bit more slightly.

That being said, there's 2 things about this system that bug me. Some of the "sequels" don't stay PSP exclusives. They then get moved to the Ps2, making there less reason to even consider buying it. Overall, I think that's a bad move. You transfer good games down, to the lesser selling systems, and leave exclusives to it. Nintendo is doing that. Taking GBA games to the DS as sequels, til that system sold well. Now, the Wii is getting DS games ported to it (trauma center, cooking mama come to mind). True, the Wii isn't exactly selling bad, but oh well, still more DS's than Wii's, right?

The other thing is what was promised for the longest time. PSX games on the PSP. I know even though I own a ps2, I would probably get a PSP if they could release all of the PSX games for the PSP. It would probably SAVE me money in the long run, since I wouldn't have to spend $70 on some obscure title that I never got to play. The problem with this? Sony in their infinite wisdom, said you'd need a PS3 to do this. Yeah, right... Eff that. Then, it took them how long after backlashes to that idea, to say you MIGHT be able to download them via the internet and a pc. I would have settled for a PS2, but hey, more power to them.

I'm just wondering WHEN this is supposed to happen. PSX on the PSP is about as distant as duke nukem forever.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Then why haven't they lowered the price recently? The hardware sales were down 72 percent when compared to the 2005 holiday season.

It's about all that's holding me back at this point, honestly. It's terrible that it's still exactly the same as when it began.

Sony has historically been very resistant to hardware drops. The PS2 is still at $129 six years in.

As far as the PSP is concerned, Sony has pretty much given up on competing with Nintendo for the handheld market. So there's little reason to drop the price to compete with the DS when they could be seeing profit on every piece of kit.

Besides, Sony needs every scrap of profit it can muster with the PS3 bleeding money as it has been.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Emulation?

It's about a mod using the forum for a social experiment: Will letting people bitch about Sony in 2 threads stop the overrun of Sony bitching?
    Oh ok then.

I own a ps2, and I don't feel like taking water-downed ports with me on the go for 250+ dollars.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Due to my experience with the PSP, I never want to own one. It is supposed to be a portable machine but it just isn't built for portability. It's more like one of those nerdy garage projects where you turn a console into a handheld device.

It's big, a bit clunky, and way too expensive. I wouldn't want to carry this thing around for fear of breaking it. If I had one, it would never leave the house, I would just sit at home and play it. There is no point in that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited March 2007

Sony has historically been very resistant to hardware drops. The PS2 is still at $129 six years in.

As far as the PSP is concerned, Sony has pretty much given up on competing with Nintendo for the handheld market. So there's little reason to drop the price to compete with the DS when they could be seeing profit on every piece of kit.

Besides, Sony needs every scrap of profit it can muster with the PS3 bleeding money as it has been.

I know it makes sense logically, but it goes against everything I expect as a consumer of game systems. The price is supposed to drop out of common courtesy. :P

Any place I can track the prices of consoles and see how price drops usually go?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »

Now, I'm not normally one for monopolies, but Nintendo didn't really seem to abuse this monopoly, in a way that hurts the consumer.

So, my question is, why do we, as consumers, support this second company, when all it does, is make our lives, as consumers more difficult, in that we have to purchase a second handheld gaming device?

Uh... what? A competing product makes things more difficult for the consumer? I don't really think you're making a lot of sense here.

Yeah, because you have to buy two, whereas, if all the good games were on one handheld, you would only have to buy one.

Now theres still a flaw in the argument, but thats the logic.

The gigantic, gaping hole in his argument being, "There's more than one company on Earth, dumbass."

No shit?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Due to my experience with the PSP, I never want to own one. It is supposed to be a portable machine but it just isn't built for portability. It's more like one of those nerdy garage projects where you turn a console into a handheld device.

It's big, a bit clunky, and way too expensive. I wouldn't want to carry this thing around for fear of breaking it. If I had one, it would never leave the house, I would just sit at home and play it. There is no point in that.

I agree that it's not really portable, but it doesn't really bother me. I play my DS and GBA Micro at home a lot, and almost never take them out of the house.

bruin on
    edited March 2007

Emulation?

Oh ok then.

I own a ps2, and I don't feel like taking water-downed ports with me on the go for 250+ dollars.

Let's let go of that argument, shall we? It's almost as tired as, "This would be awesome on the Wii."

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Emulation?

Oh ok then.

Let's let go of that argument, shall we? It's almost as tired as, "This would be awesome on the Wii."

Why? It's a valid argument.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I agree that it's not really portable, but it doesn't really bother me. I play my DS and GBA Micro at home a lot, and almost never take them out of the house.

Same here. I know the DS isn't fragile but I still wouldn't want to risk hurting it. Although the DS still offers a more unique experience, such that you don't feel as bad playing it at home...but even so, I wouldn't be getting the PSP for PS2 ports (I would get it for glorious remakes!), so even if they're similar to console games they're at least different.

UncleSporky on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PSP is probably the best competition Nintendo's ever had in the handheld market... But that doesn't change the fact that it's a huge disappointment compared to the expectations that Sony was going to take the market no contest when the DS was first revealed. It put up a good fight but ultimately it met the same fate as all the others. Whether or not Sony will bother to release another one remains to be seen.

I've never been interested in the PSP at all, because I have no desire whatsoever to play console ports. It could have all the power of the PS3 for all I care, I still wouldn't play it. I play handhelds at home 90% of the time, and as such am only interested in handheld games that are notably different from what I could be playing on a console or PC. The DS has games like that in spades, the PSP not so much.

Zek on
    edited March 2007

Emulation?

Oh ok then.

Okay fine, in the case of FFT, a suped up ps1 port.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just think the PSP misses the point of portability. I loved mine when I first got it; I played Socom a ton online and a bunch of other PS2 caliber games around the house. After a while though, the novelty of playing such advanced games on a handheld wore off, and I realized: I could be playing next gen games instead of last gen. Taking it on the road? Not really feasible. Between the ridiculously low battery life and it's fragility, it wasn't worth it to take the damn thing anywhere.

In addition, whats pissed me off the most about the PSP is how poorly designed the games are for on the go playing. It's a portable. It's in the freaking name. Why, then, am I not allowed to save progress in some games (Socom, Monster Hunter Freedom) until I've accomplished something which takes a minimum of 30 minutes?! And that's only if I accomplish it! The DS makes it so much easier to play for 5 minutes with most games; hell, I can jump into Meteos and start playing in 30 seconds.

It's other features are no saving grace in my eyes. At first I loved the idea of loading songs/videos onto it and using it as an mp3/video player, but the battery life and awkward sizing of the device make it not that easy to access. I'd rather have my solid Creative Zen Touch (the ooold one) that gets 24 hours of battery life and can withstand falling onto cement no problem.

And about the PSP's relative success, I was wondering. Sega/SNK had no where near the wallet that Sony has now. I'm not sure on definite facts and figures, but is it possible that the PSP has failed just as much, if not moreso than those financially, yet it continues to stick around because Sony is pushing it? I'm pretty sure that's not true, since the PSP has had some (albeit small) success, but I just think we shouldn't ignore each respective companies status when looking at how quickly they withdrew (or didn't).

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
    edited March 2007

Emulation?

Oh ok then.

There is nothing but watered-down ports on the PSP?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Emulation?

Oh ok then.

It would be if the PSP only offered watered-down ports for $250. But it doesn't.

The fact that there are many games for a platform that you wouldn't play on it doesn't really matter. What matters is whether there are games that you would play on it. There's hundreds of PS2 games I wouldn't play if you gave them to me for free, but those don't matter--the fact that there are dozens of PS2 games that I would play is what's important.

Captain K on
    edited March 2007
    I am more interested in the remakes (Megaman Powered Up, Lemmings, Castlevania, FFT) and the rehashes (Daxter, Metal Gear, Wipeout, maybe the GTAs). In fact, maybe it's because I'm not looking, but I don't see ports as much as I see those categories, which I am fine with.

EDIT: Maybe rehash isn't the right word. But you know. MGS3 with less polys and different gameplay isn't quite the same as a port, but it doesn't feel totally new either.

UncleSporky on
    edited March 2007
    Haha, you must know I'm just trolling. As I'm pretty sure that is what these threads K made are for.

But seriously I don't even know of more than like ten games for the psp, whenever I see psp news or topics here my eyes just glaze over and mistakingly read "250$ for a handheld".

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There are just a few things Sony would have to do that would likely result in me buying a PSP. They need to redesign the system and make these changes...

* Make it more comfortable to hold
    * Make it have a built in hardware sleep function
    * Give it a fliptop to protect it
    * Extend the battery life

Those changes would be enough for me to consider a purchase. If they could speed up the drive and reduce load times I'd be a definate PSP owner. Notice I don't even mention a price drop - just those changes and I'd be in for a PSP.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited March 2007
    Haha, you must know I'm just trolling. As I'm pretty sure that is what these threads K made are for.

But seriously I don't even know of more than like ten games for the psp, whenever I see psp news or topics here my eyes just glaze over and mistakingly read "250$ for a handheld".

Oh ok, admitting you're a dick let's you slip away unharmed.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2007

Oh ok, admitting your a dick let's you slip away unharmed.
    Thank you Mr. Bear.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2007

That's another reason I think the price could stand a drop. Seeing $199 is less of a barrier.

UncleSporky on
    edited March 2007

Oh ok, admitting your a dick let's you slip away unharmed.

Actually, it makes it really easy for me to hit the yellow card button.

Captain K on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

There are enough unnecessary commas in this post to make an English major's head explode.

That being said, the point of competition is giving consumers a choice in what to buy. Whereas Nintendo was the only thing out there before, they now have to be more awesome to earn our hard-earned bucks. You don't have to buy the PSP (unless you are going for some sort of every game ever completionist thing) buy you can if its something that appeals to you.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seems that every thread in G&T about the PSP, about a PSP game, or about any kind of PSP news eventually (if not immediately) devolves into "lolz PSP sucks, buy a DS".

Oh Captian K, have you learned nothing?

Anyhow... like the PS3, the PSP isn't a failure ... it's just hilarious to make fun of Sony's extreme hubris.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
    edited March 2007
    DeVry comes in here with that sig and that avatar and just makes the place feel alright.

UncleSporky on
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    It seems that every thread in G&T about the PSP, about a PSP game, or about any kind of PSP news eventually (if not immediately) devolves into "lolz PSP sucks, buy a DS".

Anyhow... like the PS3, the PSP isn't a failure ... it's just hilarious to make fun of Sony's extreme hubris.

Is it still hilarious? 10 months after E3 '06? Still hilarious enough to justify ruining a couple of perfectly good threads every day?

Captain K on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, if you have a CompUSA near you that's closing, they're liquidating PSPs for $130. That's finally a worthwhile price, in my opinion, and I'm considering going for it.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

That's another reason I think the price could stand a drop. Seeing $199 is less of a barrier.
    This is why I still don't believe Sony's making profit on the hardware. Because it's in their best interest to push as many units as possible, so that more people are likely to buy the software, which is where the real money is. If they're making profit, business sense would dictate they drop the price at least to break-even point, then push software. The potential of extra software sales from dropping the price is much more meaningful than the extra few bucks you make on the console, which is then lost because they couldn't afford that extra game. I mean, if you have a source that says they are turning a profit on the hardware, I'd love to be proven wrong, just to have solid evidence either way.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Maybe in the sense that "I'm in your [noun], [verb]ing your [noun]" jokes are funny... for awhile.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Guys, if you have a CompUSA near you that's closing, they're liquidating PSPs for $130. That's finally a worthwhile price, in my opinion, and I'm considering going for it.

Is this in-store only? Cuz hell, for that price I may just do it. I didn't see this on their online store just now, but if it's true for in-store only, I may be making a drive out tonight.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm only dissapointed in the psp because it's d-pad needs to be modified or seriously worn in in order to play Tekken DR with any level of competency on it. That turned me right off. Modify my brand new 300 dollar (au) purchase or I get frustrated and annoyed? :/
    I'd also like to point out that the streetfighter port had the same problem, before anyone says "lol tekken sucks, play streetfighter then". When both games developers offer free d-pad modifications with their fighting game in order for a psp owner to be able to play their games properly, somethings gone wrong in the hardware design.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

Same here. I know the DS isn't fragile but I still wouldn't want to risk hurting it. Although the DS still offers a more unique experience, such that you don't feel as bad playing it at home...but even so, I wouldn't be getting the PSP for PS2 ports (I would get it for glorious remakes!), so even if they're similar to console games they're at least different.
    In my experience, its not portable in the sense you stick it in your pocket whenever you go out to play just in case. Its more portable in the sense of a laptop, for when you have a backpack, and won't be that long without a plug nearby. Perfect for airplane travel, long car/bus rides, etc. At least, thats when i find i use my PSP the most out of the house.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think that the PSP gets beat up here alot because Sony just mishandled the thing so much. As it stands now, it's a pretty decent machine with a good library that just suffers from slightly high price point, poor advertising, and is being haunted by the ghosts of it's first year a bit making less people want to give it a chance.

BTW, on the Sony hate front, why is the PS3 impression thread still open? It's obviously just a poorly disguised Megathread.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love the big screen... olol sorny

That said... I can't stop playing Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins. We also have Lumines, Lumines II, Wipeout Pure, and Mega Man Powered Up. Castlevania Rondo of Blood, and Final Fantasy Tactics will, sadly, round out our library for the system, unless something else awesome is announced.

I wanted to like Metal Gear, but I can't play it. It's one of those titles that makes me severely motion sick... sad panda. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter