As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phi Theta Kappa?

D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in my second semester of community college, and I don't mind saying that I kicked several different types of ass in my first semester.

Since I landed a very high GPA, I've been invited to join my school's chapter of Phi Theta Kappa - the international two year college honors society.

Unfortunately, both meetings for potential candidates to go over what the society is all about landed at the exact same time two of my classes start. So, I can't go.

My question is, has anyone been a part of Phi Theta Kappa, and can they tell me a little about it? What is expected of me as a member, how much of my time will it eat up, and will I get anything out of it besides weak bragging rights and being able to put it on a resume?

Thanks.

DxTiddy.png
D.T. on

• skimbleshanksskimbleshanks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I was vice-president of my school's chapter of phi theta kappa for a little while. you dont have to do shit to join except pay an entry fee ($60 in my case) and semester dues of ten bucks a semester after that. you can opt to take part in fundraisers, meetings, and all that if you want but you don't have to. you can get some neat stuff for taking part in those types of things. In my case it will appear on my diploma and I will get a gold tassle to wear on my hat during graduation. they have a website, which I don't have a link to right at the moment, but if you need more help I can direct my friend who is still a ptk officer to this thread and he might be able to help you out.

EDIT: I completely forgot. There are a LOT of female PTK members. if you go to regional meetings they like to give these things called kappa hugs. 'nuff said.

skimbleshanks on
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    -Lao-tzu
  • GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I actually just got a letter inviting me to join as well. For me it is just a one time, $65 fee, so that isnt too bad. And I would love to be able to milk it for all its worth (such as resumes). The problem is, between work and school, I wouldnt have a lot of time to do things such as fundraisers, meetings, etc (also Im guessing sometimes I would simply have something I'd rather do). So I guess I am also curious when it comes to expecations of members and such.

Guffrey on
  • Darth_fluffyDarth_fluffy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guffrey wrote: »
    I actually just got a letter inviting me to join as well. For me it is just a one time, $65 fee, so that isnt too bad. And I would love to be able to milk it for all its worth (such as resumes). The problem is, between work and school, I wouldnt have a lot of time to do things such as fundraisers, meetings, etc (also Im guessing sometimes I would simply have something I'd rather do). So I guess I am also curious when it comes to expecations of members and such.

I'm in this exact same situation. I'd really like to join but I do not any any free time for it. I already had to quit Phi Beta Lambda.

Darth_fluffy on
    edited March 2007
    that's the thing. if you join you don't have to do shit but pay your dues and you're still a member. there are just some added perks to encourage people to join in on activities.

basically the only thing you have to do other than that is keep your GPA up.

skimbleshanks on
    -Lao-tzu
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmmm.. I'd like to join this but two things. They don't have a chapter at my school for some bizarre reason (Pasadena City College is pretty much the biggest CC in all of California). Also my GPA will be just shy of 3.5 after this semester (3.2), if I do as well as I'm projecting I will. And it's still far to early for that anyway.

Always next semester I guess.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited March 2007
    is your school 2-year or 4-year? PTK is only available at 2-year schools.

skimbleshanks on
    -Lao-tzu
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's 2 year. When I looked at their chapter list for California there was no mention of anything with Pasadena in the name. Interestingly though, from a Google search I found that someone from PCC was on their team for some kind of academic competition last year which suggests that they do in fact have a chapter.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was a member of PTK, and I never attended a single meeting. It's very low-commitment, and it looks good on your resume when you go to find a job. I'd say go for it.

Kreutz on