As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A good car for Maine (and snow n stuff)

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My mom is moving to Portland, Maine. She currently drives a '94 Geo which will NEVER make the trip up the eastern seaboard.

We were planning on getting her a car real soon anyway, but now she needs one VERY soon because she has to move within weeks for a job transfer.

I want to get her something that will be able to deal with the climate in Maine...

Approximate budget:

~$10,000

Needs:

~ Gas mileage
~ Reliable and/or cheap to repair
~ an engine and four wheels

I was looking at getting her a new Ford Fiesta... that is plenty of car for her and I read good things about them. But I am not sure how big a deal snow really is up there, and whether such a tiny car can deal with it. Neither of us has really lived up north. I'm thinking a small sized pickup truck (like a Ford Ranger) might be a better option?

Jasconius on

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Fiesta will be better in the snow than a ranger. Best thing to get would be a Subaru.
    BIGGEST THINGS ABOUT DRIVING IN THE SNOW:
    1. AWD or 4WD are best, FWD is a close second. DO NOT GET RWD
    2. BUY SNOW TIRES
    3. BUY SNOW TIRES
    4. BUY SNOW TIRES

Seriously. This is especially true if she didn't grow up driving in the snow. They make everything safer and easier. Best idea is to get 4 on wheels so you just swap em out, but doing a tire switchover isn't bad either. That said, Portland has plows and is well populated, so it should be fine.

PS - Portland is a rad city.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Snow tires, Snow tires, Snow tires.

Growing up in Victoria, I had about a week of snow a year. Now in Edmonton, I get 3-5 months of snow (it doesn't melt because it's never warm enough). The difference between All-Season and Snow tires is HUGE. But there is everything on the road, little Geos to Full size Titan trucks. It's about the traction, not the car.

And really, it should be a concern for a tops a couple days until the plow.

• Options
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Snow tires, Snow tires, Snow tires.

Growing up in Victoria, I had about a week of snow a year. Now in Edmonton, I get 3-5 months of snow (it doesn't melt because it's never warm enough). The difference between All-Season and Snow tires is HUGE. But there is everything on the road, little Geos to Full size Titan trucks. It's about the traction, not the car.

And really, it should be a concern for a tops a couple days until the plow.

Portland is the one place in Maine that gets regular plowing (other than the old cobbled streets, anyway).

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Fiesta will be better in the snow than a ranger. Best thing to get would be a Subaru.
    2. BUY SNOW TIRES
    3. BUY SNOW TIRES
    4. BUY SNOW TIRES

Seriously. This is especially true if she didn't grow up driving in the snow. They make everything safer and easier. Best idea is to get 4 on wheels so you just swap em out, but doing a tire switchover isn't bad either. That said, Portland has plows and is well populated, so it should be fine.

Pretty much this. Also, if you go Subaru, buy it where you are now. They'll cost more and be all rusty if you buy them up in Maine.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    2. BUY SNOW TIRES
    3. BUY SNOW TIRES
    4. BUY SNOW TIRES

Pretty much this. Also, if you go Subaru, buy it where you are now. They'll cost more and be all rusty if you buy them up in Maine.

This is true of any car... New England winters are not kind to bodywork.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    I live along Lake Superior, which has a very similar winter to Maine. The car of choice here is Subaru. I got one a few years ago and I love it. It's the best compromise between AWD and gas mileage.

And respectable tires, as others have said.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Really, good tires matter almost more than the car. I've lived here since I was 13 and had no problem with a Voyager, Beretta, Taurus, and Focus. As long as you have snow tires and don't drive like a complete moron you're going to be fine. Subarus are really damn nice and I'd love one, but they are on the pricey side.

Also, what others have said - generally unless you are driving really early in the morning the snow will be clear before you hit the roads. The only time things get really rough is during severe ice storms, but those are rare and you really shouldn't be driving at all no matter what your vehicle is.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Really, good tires matter almost more than the car. I've lived here since I was 13 and had no problem with a Voyager, Beretta, Taurus, and Focus. As long as you have snow tires and don't drive like a complete moron you're going to be fine. Subarus are really damn nice and I'd love one, but they are on the pricey side.

Also, what others have said - generally unless you are driving really early in the morning the snow will be clear before you hit the roads. The only time things get really rough is during severe ice storms, but those are rare and you really shouldn't be driving at all no matter what your vehicle is.

Also, during severe ice storms the power will most likely be out and you won't need to get to work.

• Options

Yeah, before the Subaru I drove a Toyota Camry and didn't have any issues. Front wheel drive, of course, for any practical car. A few folks try to get around in rear wheel drive trucks with limited success.

But the difference when moving through snowy conditions between the 2WD and AWD is pretty dramatic. It's not a requirement, but if you can swing it (and you can get a nice used one for $10,000) you'll be set for years.

• Options
    FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    I'm confused by "ford fiesta" and "tiny car".

This could be the part where someone jumps in a points out Americans drive tanks, but that's not true at all anymore, so... Whatever.

Yes, the Fiesta will handle snow fine.

• Options
    Hewn wrote: »

Yeah, before the Subaru I drove a Toyota Camry and didn't have any issues. Front wheel drive, of course, for any practical car. A few folks try to get around in rear wheel drive trucks with limited success.

But the difference when moving through snowy conditions between the 2WD and AWD is pretty dramatic. It's not a requirement, but if you can swing it (and you can get a nice used one for $10,000) you'll be set for years.

AWD is great for Accelerating in snow, but not stopping. Only snow tires will stop you.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Tires are important. Snow tires are great if you can afford them. However. all season tires+tire chains>snow tires. Get yourself some tire chains. A new ford fiesta will do fine if you keep chains in your trunk. Practice getting them on the car when it is not snowing that way you don't have to spend 45 minutes figuring out how they go on in the snow. I'd suggest getting 2 sets so you can have all 4 wheels covered and if one breaks your drive wheels are still covered.

If you want a ford truck get an f150 as opposed to a ford ranger.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Tires are important. Snow tires are great if you can afford them. However. all season tires+tire chains>snow tires. Get yourself some tire chains. A new ford fiesta will do fine if you keep chains in your trunk. Practice getting them on the car when it is not snowing that way you don't have to spend 45 minutes figuring out how they go on in the snow. I'd suggest getting 2 sets so you can have all 4 wheels covered and if one breaks your drive wheels are still covered.

If you want a ford truck get an f150 as opposed to a ford ranger.

I don't believe chains are allowed on the roads in Maine. Unlike western states, they salt the roads.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't believe chains are allowed on the roads in Maine. Unlike western states, they salt the roads.
    I'm pretty sure they are the only thing that might be an issue is from May to October, and your not allowed to use the bad ass snow tires during that time either.
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec1919.html

• Options

AWD is great for Accelerating in snow, but not stopping. Only snow tires will stop you.

Too true. But even snow tires don't really do much on ice. AWD/4WD gives a lot of folks too much confidence when they are not used to icy conditions. Going is pretty easy. Stopping, like you said, can be a shade trickier ;)

• Options

Too true. But even snow tires don't really do much on ice. AWD/4WD gives a lot of folks too much confidence when they are not used to icy conditions. Going is pretty easy. Stopping, like you said, can be a shade trickier ;)

Unless it's nasty black ice, snow tires still do a lot if you aren't a complete moron.
    http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=91&tab=winter

As someone who lived in Rural NH and skied in Maine for 15 years of driving, studs are just good for tearing up roads. Chains are useless, as you can't go highway speeds with them (Maine highways often involve going 60+ in a snowstorm). Number one thing is to use your brain to spot trouble spots and not end up braking hard on black ice (you'll learn how to recognize it), second thing is winter tires. The northeast isn't like anywhere in the west where 90% of people seem to go full-moron and go 30MPH in a dusting, as the snow STAYS on the roads (not the highways), and people actually know how to drive in it (some people, anyway).

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I agree it's mostly about tires - but I had a little Ford Ranger for awhile which was easily the worst thing I've ever driven in the snow. Even with a few sand bags in the back it was still really light and fishtailed supereasily. My current 2000 Kia Sephia is even better in the snow than it was. If she's sticking around Portland she should be fine in just about anything though - we get less snow down here overall and they are pretty quick to treat it.

Subaru's are indeed very common up here - an older jeep is a nice fit too and could be done in her budget - you'll see a ton of Liberties/Cherokees on the road. The only thing to watch for with cars is anything super low to the ground, the roads tend to take a pounding from all the plowing and winter in general so potholes/frost heaves can kill low built cars (and make you go through a muffler a year in some cases).

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    A slightly used Honda CRV is a good choice for that price range. It doesnt have terrible gas mileage and traction control system it has is incredible.
    I do not recommend mini-sub compacts for snow driving...unless you load them down with sandbags or two fat friends everywhere you go.

• Options
    WildEEP wrote: »
    A slightly used Honda CRV is a good choice for that price range. It doesnt have terrible gas mileage and traction control system it has is incredible.
    I do not recommend mini-sub compacts for snow driving...unless you load them down with sandbags or two fat friends everywhere you go.

You really don't know anything about snow driving then. If you know how to drive them, they work like crazy. I spent 6 years whipping a neon and a golf around NH and Maine with 0 accidents or issues and I drove in every storm. You just need to make sure to get skinny snow tires to cut to the road. The fact that they're so light means they stop when other vehicles keep hurtling forward.

• Options
    WildEEP wrote: »

Our Focus has done extremely well in the snow.

• Options
    Also, rankings of AWD systems:
    1. Subaru
    2. Audi/VW
    3. Volvo
    4. Everyone else

FWD VW's are also boss in the snow, and my friends have had good experiences with focuses. Hondas and Toyotas don't seem to be that great for some reason, but they can get through stuff ok with snows.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    seconding subaru for AWD, i live in VT/NH and it handles snow like a champ. hondas are pretty light and can get knocked about in a storm.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Living up in maine for 5 years, my little chevy corsica, and then my chevy malibu did just fine. And I was living in the middle of the woods during a bad winter with the malibu. Only thing that stopped it was a big hill/bridge thing (it stopped everybody else too) and roads not being plowed when the snow was as deep as halfway up my doors.

other than that, both cars did just fine in the ice and snow. And that was with all-weather tires on. And I was also further north than Portland, up in Bangor and Waterville. I think Portland was about an hour or so drive south?

But yeah, if I'd had like a subaru or something, that would have been good. But often lots of trucks were the ones off the road because the drivers got too cocky. Just stay cautious, sane, and not overly douchebag and you should be fine.