As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Armored Core 4: Feces Hot!

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
((( Saw a thread, but it's dead and was about the demo. Close of deemed unworthy. )))

Now, I've never been a huge fan of the series. I played the first on the Playstation oh so many moons ago, and wasn't really digging it, but then again, I was salivating my mech thirst on Virtual On (until Mechwarrior 3 came out). But that's another thread.

Dunno what it was about the game, but it just came off as unpolished, but then again, I can't really say what turned me off.

So, imagine my surprise when I viewed the latest in game footage. The game is purdy. Very very purdy.

See for yourself.

What really gets me about that trailer is how the action looks nice and varied as well. I definitely dig some of the environments as well. This instantly shot up to my list of games to check out, and reminds me that Mechs = Awesome in most regards.

Sheep on

• arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm so hot for this game.

I'm only sad because guitar hero 360 is coming out AFTER this....

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First off, "Feces hot?" Erm...what?

Anyways, AC4 looks very good. After AC3 I dropped out of the series but this definitely sparks my interest.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As long as they don't ruin the online play like chromehounds, this should be enjoyable. I kinda hope for part trading online, That could be delicious. IMHO, The game can look purty or ugly as much as it wants to, the real question is the gameplay enjoyable? Im sick of games looking nice and then feels Unresponsive and carries zero fluidity.

Viscountalpha on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The demo was really fun, and cemented my purchase of this game.

My only quibles with it was that shooting was assigned to A and X, but I hear there's another config that assigns shooting to the triggers.

Kyougu on
  • AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the demo was so-so, but I'm an Armored Core whore so I will be buying this anyway.

The brightness was all fucked up for me in the demo and it didn't look very good if I cranked it up on my TV.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Watching the trailer... I have a question. What the fuck makes these things mechs, exactly? I mean, in function. They're basically just flying all the time. Watching the trailer, they walked once, maybe twice throughout the entire thing. All the rest of it was flying.

They might as well just get over it, say "fuck it", and switch the damn game to helicopters, know what I mean?

I'm not trolling... it just really bothers me, watching the trailer.

(disclaimer: I have never played an armored core game)

Recoil42 on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mechs look cooler.

It's true.

JJ on
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Watching the trailer... I have a question. What the fuck makes these things mechs, exactly? I mean, in function. They're basically just flying all the time. Watching the trailer, they walked once, maybe twice throughout the entire thing. All the rest of it was flying.

They might as well just get over it, say "fuck it", and switch the damn game to helicopters, know what I mean?

I'm not trolling... it just really bothers me, watching the trailer.

(disclaimer: I have never played an armored core game)

I didn't watch the trailer but there a ton of different mech types you can make in the game. There are mechs with legs and also tank-types on wheels. Also, you are never constantly flying. You pretty much always want to be boosting for speed, but actually flying will deplete your energy quickly and put you back on the ground soon enough.

Your complaint makes much more sense for a game like Zone of the Enders, but even then it's kind of silly. If they were actually helicopters, as you say, they would have to handle completely different. Also, it would not be as cool. So there.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Mechs look cooler.

It's true.

I know, but see, my problem is the lack of motion in the mechs themselves WHILE hovering. They still just stand there perfectly erect and stiff (no giggling, plz) as if they were standing still. And yet, in several shots, they're changing direction midair, instantly, at very high speeds. If they put some play into the joints, some animation while the mechs were flying, to illustrate a change in weight and thrust distribution, then I'd have no problem with it.

But as it is, it just looks... funny... and like the mechs are in the game just because the producers were like "oh man, mechs are awesome, let's make our flying game have mechs".

Again, don't get me wrong, mechs ARE awesome... but they just look silly in the trailer, all perfectly standing upright while travelling horizontally at a billion miles an hour.

Recoil42 on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    demo? wha......

well, thats something else ill have to download tonight besides worms.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    demo? wha......

I think it's Japan only.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2007
    demo? wha......

I think it's Japan only.

Yeah, it's only on the Japanese marketplace. Making a Japanese account is a little harder than it used to be (since it forces a 1 month free gold account) but you can still do it.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh hip hop hooray! Oh Zimmy happy day!

I am so going to play the feces out of this game.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    JJ wrote: »
    Mechs look cooler.

It's true.

I know, but see, my problem is the lack of motion in the mechs themselves WHILE hovering. They still just stand there perfectly erect and stiff (no giggling, plz) as if they were standing still. And yet, in several shots, they're changing direction midair, instantly, at very high speeds. If they put some play into the joints, some animation while the mechs were flying, to illustrate a change in weight and thrust distribution, then I'd have no problem with it.

Considering that they've always visibly shifted their weight when flying since AC2, I'm thinking this is either early footage or you haven't been paying attention.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    My soul for a good new Mechwarrior type game with online play!

bombardier on
    edited March 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    My soul for a good new Mechwarrior type game with online play!

I'm surprised a new Mechassault game hasn't been announced considering the success of the first two.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • weddellkwweddellkw PNWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    demo? wha......

I think it's Japan only.

Yeah, it's only on the Japanese marketplace. Making a Japanese account is a little harder than it used to be (since it forces a 1 month free gold account) but you can still do it.

Created an account over the weekend (saturdayish) to download this demo, was given the option for a silver account. Be sure to set up a Japanese MS Passport first...

weddellkw on
    XBL: The SquidProQuo
    edited March 2007
    weddellkw wrote: »
    demo? wha......

I think it's Japan only.

Created an account over the weekend (saturdayish) to download this demo, was given the option for a silver account. Be sure to set up a Japanese MS Passport first...

I tried really hard to get it just let me have a silver account, but no matter what I did, it told me I was eligible for a free 1 month gold account and wouldn't let me finish creating my account without it.

I tried both methods, making the entire account through the Xbox, and also making a Japanese passport account first. Both ways it forced a gold account on me which makes you input more information about where you live.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Now, I've never been a huge fan of the series. I played the first on the Playstation oh so many moons ago, and wasn't really digging it, but then again, I was salivating my mech thirst on Virtual On (until Mechwarrior 3 came out). But that's another thread.

Dunno what it was about the game, but it just came off as unpolished, but then again, I can't really say what turned me off.

I hated every minute I spent negotiating my way through maze-like levels full of security robots. These still turn up in more recent entries in the series, but aren't nearly as frustrating because the missions aren't as prolonged and the rooms and corridors don't all look exactly the same.

Oh, and having to start the campaign over again because the one really powerful weapon, the one the designers pretty much assumed you would have in your possession by the time the difficulty spikes and goes vertical, was hidden in an obscure place on an early mission.

Also no damn fun was being flung across the map and pinned to the wall indefinitely just because my AC happened to be airborne (as opposed to standing 20 meters high and being shot at by ground-hugging tanks, yeah... big fuckin' difference) when enemy fire connected.

I loved Armored Core 2, and Nexus, and Last Raven. But the original Armored Core and its sequels on the PS1 can all FOADIAF.

Tiemler on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

I don't think I've seen many Japanese "mech" movies/games that were similiar to Western mech designs.

Front Mission and Sakura Taisen come to mind.

Sheep on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't think I've seen many Japanese "mech" movies/games that were similiar to Western mech designs.

Macross lol

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    I'll buy this. I liked Chromehounds a lot, though I hope that Sega and FROM are a little more responsive to appropriate balancing concerns this time. In CH, they allowed one or two overpowered builds drive away a large part of the online playerbase, overnerfed those builds abruptly after around a year - the damage had been done - and then created a different super-build.

Slow and steady response would have solved that.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »

Macross lol
    I'm still waiting for a Macross sequel. I have a feeling that I'm waiting in vain..

Silpheed on
    edited March 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

Macross lol
    I'm still waiting for a Macross sequel. I have a feeling that I'm waiting in vain..

Uh... what?

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited March 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Macross lol

Uh... what?
    I don't count that crap in a box that Robotech: Invasion was as a proper sequel to Battlecry.

Silpheed on
    edited March 2007

Macross lol

Uh... what?
    I don't count that crap in a box that Robotech: Invasion was as a proper sequel to Battlecry.

Oh... you mean a game? Because...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macross#Sequels

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited March 2007

Macross lol

Uh... what?
    Oh... you mean a game? Because...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macross#Sequels
    Heh, I guess I was a bit vague there :D .Yes, I meant a game, Robotech:Battlecry.

Silpheed on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game looks interesting, but I wish there was a US demo to try.

any mech games out there that are a bit more slower paced? slightly more strategic than just an action shooter?

that's what I'd like...a mech game that is a little more simmy, not just a shooter. something MW2-like

VoodooV on
    edited March 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »

any mech games out there that are a bit more slower paced? slightly more strategic than just an action shooter?

that's what I'd like...a mech game that is a little more simmy, not just a shooter. something MW2-like

Chromehounds?

Kyougu on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As long as the multiplayer is strong, thats all that matters with mech warrior 4. Single player campaigns are nice but playing against people can be (and usually is) much more enjoyable.

Viscountalpha on
  • freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only mech game I'm really interested in playing is Steel Battalion. When are they going to come out with a fancy new one for the 360.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »

Chromehounds?

I liked CH for a while, but ultimately the balance issues and constant split lobby headache pushed me away.

And yeah, I really would love to find a game that has truly balanced MP and the people who play aren't complete asshates (yeah I know, there is no such beast) but I also do think a single player story is important too.

VoodooV on
    edited March 2007
    The only mech game I'm really interested in playing is Steel Battalion. When are they going to come out with a fancy new one for the 360.

I have many times tried to imagine an Armored Core game using the Steel Battalion controller, but have always been afraid to imagine it fully, as doing so would be as looking upon the face of God and certain to rob my fragile mortal being of its sanity.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The trailer for this looks awfully fast. And they do appear to be flying, rather than just boosting.

Although the water fight looks fucking awesome.

Probably a buy for me. Love me some Armored Core.

SniperGuy on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    between this, super paper mario, and stalker im having a hard time trying to pocket my money for a new pc.

im still going to wait for reviews, though. despite my love for mechs.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
    edited March 2007
    between this, super paper mario, and stalker im having a hard time trying to pocket my money for a new pc.

It got blasted on EGM, with a score of 4.0, 6.5 and I think 4.

To be fair, Armored Cores never have gotten the best of reviews.

Kyougu on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

It got blasted on EGM, with a score of 4.0, 6.5 and I think 4.

To be fair, Armored Cores never have gotten the best of reviews.

yeah, thats to be expected. i guess i shouldve said what i was looking for in the reviews:

single player length
    replayability
    does it suck like chromehounds?
    etc

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What did EGM hate about it?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haven't the AC games been getting more and more niche-y? So much so that I think the last one was reviewed as being basically "for fans only".

Magus` on