As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So my guitar has a "Wolf note"

NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and StuffRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My guitar has a pretty clear wolf note that I'd like to get rid of. I've done a bit of googling and it seems like a Luthier might be able to do something for me.

Problem is, I don't know how to go about finding a good one or what they would charge for doing something like that. I mean, my guitar is probably worth about 400 (maybe less since it's garned a few good dings over the years) so... if it would cost the same time to buy a new guitar as it would to fix my current one, I might just look into that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

(it is an acoustic guitar and the note happens all over my neck, so it isn't just a loose fret)

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
Rorus Raz wrote: »
There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
cakemikz wrote: »
And then I rub actual cake on myself.
Loomdun wrote: »
thats why you have chest helmets
Nappuccino on

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    I'd say find a decent independent music store that has an in house guitar tech and have them take a look at it. They should be able to tell you if it's a cheap and easy fix or something expensive/difficult.

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    Try putting a fishing weight between the tail and bridge on the string causing the problem. If it's more than one string, that's a bigger problem, and might be worth replacing the instrument.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    @Wmelon: Well, I brought it to the local shop last year and the guy there couldn't hear anything. But the more I play with the guitar, the more I know something has to be up with it. Especially now that I've started recording with it... Maybe next time head into the city I'll do that.

@badpoet: It is the same pitch note across several strings. Apparently the body of the guitar resonates freely, but in such a way that counteracts the note in question. So it is a bigger issue.

I'd rather not just replace the instrument if possible- I love the tone and... for me, it is a rather pricey one.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    If there's a way to fix that problem, I'd imagine it would have to be something that would alter the frequency response of the body of the guitar just a tiny bit. Possibly adding a block of wood or something like that? Unfortunately, I've never come across anyone who's ever actually wanted to FIX this problem, so I'm not sure exactly how one would go about doing it, but I can't imagine it would be a terribly expensive fix.

As for how to find a good luthier, just ask for recommendations from musicians I guess. Or ask some of the big local shops who they outsource they stuff to.