As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] That's SOOOO Draven!

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I don't even know who is in which team.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    that's fucking weird

i think dignitas got really shafted - how in the world did CLG managed to pry voyboy out of dignitas? is playing with qtpie really that aggravating?

interrobang on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Playing Janna as support is really, really good sometimes. She's such an enabler. Unless AD Kennen/Janna just shits all over Cait/Ali.

I guess that guy playing Janna to support my Varus a few days ago was just REALLY BAD.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Janna is a really powerful support in good hands, and a really worthless one in bad hands. Similar to Lulu IMO.

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I decided to play Alistar for the first time ever. Went full tank with him. Also had my first bad experience with another player lol. A guy playing Fiddlesticks went on and on about how I was the most noob Alistar he had ever seen.

Felt great when we won. I was 3-5-21 which I think is perfectly fine for a tank that isn't going for kdr.

• Options
    When you say you were playing him as a tank how do you mean? Support into tanky items later, or jungling into tanky items? Because if you were playing in lane as a tank going for CS, that's probably why the guy was being a douche. Also, be ready for many bad player experiences, because most people playing this game are righteous geese of the highest order.

• Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    that's fucking weird

i think dignitas got really shafted - how in the world did CLG managed to pry voyboy out of dignitas? is playing with qtpie really that aggravating?

Dig lost, arguably, the best player in the deal but I think CLG as a team was probably hit the most. Saint is one of the best junglers in the world and it's going to take a long long time before HSGG can replace him in any meaningful way.

qFN53.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Trus wrote: »
    that's fucking weird

Dig lost, arguably, the best player in the deal but I think CLG as a team was probably hit the most. Saint is one of the best junglers in the world and it's going to take a long long time before HSGG can replace him in any meaningful way.

Just look at hsGG's stream right now. It's quite amusing.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    that's fucking weird

i suppose it depends on how well voyboy ends up meshing with the rest of the team

i know that saint was the cause of almost every single argument CLG had up until the point that he left, and that his playstyle didn't really match up with how passive CLG normally plays... but voyboy is also aggressive as a motherfucker, so we'll see

e: i think the biggest thing is that after korea saint realized that CLG wasn't ever going to be a competitive force again unless they started putting in the work, which they didn't, so he got fed up and left

interrobang on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Whelp. I finally broke my >10 game losing streak. And I did it with the best champion in the game.

kBYOf.png

There is something magical about a good Janna game. My team lost count how many times I epically saved them from certain death and turned around fights with the combinations of promptly timed shields, knockups, slows, positioning myself for Lee Sin escape leaps, and perfectly positioned ults (including knocking back enemies solo into my team murder groups) ...of course, it also helped that I kept their entire jungles warded in the teamfight phase. Entire jungles. A constant flow of assist income is great for that.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Janna is a badass support. My favorite supports to play are the ones like her and Lulu who have a bunch of different tricks to use. I love Leona too. Support is probably still my least favorite thing to do though. Also, that other team's Mordekaiser is hilariously bad.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Janna is a really powerful support in good hands, and a really worthless one in bad hands. Similar to Lulu IMO.

I struggle a little with Janna early game unless I'm laning with a friend, but once into midgame it's not even a little hard to be really super mean. All that can really go wrong is a bad Monsoon. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    In bad hands the right people won't be getting shielded, the right enemies(or no enemies) will be getting slowed, tornadoes will be used stupidly, and ults will be used to save the enemy instead of get them killed. You could be very surprised what a derpy player can do to any champ.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    How do Lee Sin's dashes work?

Is his offensive dash a skillshot that you can activate to jump to the champ?

How does his defensive dash work

• Options
    So I really hope there comes a time when I stop getting matched up with complete idiots at champ select. Maybe it's when I reach level 30 summoner level, or maybe I just need to raise my hidden ELO or whatever, but I'm getting so tired of dodging games and having to wait 15 minutes to try again. I simply don't understand why people queue for draft if they don't understand the meta. It's so easy to queue for blind pick and just play whatever champ you want in whatever lane, but I'm the one who gets the guy who picks Garen when the team tells him he's the AD carry.

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nonono, don't dodge those games and don't rely on the meta to tell you what is good and what is not good. The meta is only truly optimal at high levels of play - at low elos, and especially pre-30, the meta means pretty much nothing and any combination of characters can be good.

You're hurting yourself by not playing those games.

Sampsen on
    Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yeah the skillshot does damage and you can activate to dash-kick for more damage + x% missing opponent health

The other one dashes to an allied target an applies a shield to both - works on champs, minions, wards. Activate that for life steal

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    In bad hands the right people won't be getting shielded, the right enemies(or no enemies) will be getting slowed, tornadoes will be used stupidly, and ults will be used to save the enemy instead of get them killed. You could be very surprised what a derpy player can do to any champ.

Yeah, I mean, she has a pretty high skill cap and a pretty low skill ABYSS. I guess the good news is that a so-so Janna is still contributing so-so supportage.

I feel like this about all the martial arts champs, only more so:

wtf even, stop hitting me

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Anybody else watching hotshotgg getting smashed in the jungle against epik with clgs new lineup?

• Options
    Did I read it right that SV left for Curse and Voyboy is now CLG? o_O

I don't even... what? Hotshotgg in the jungle? BWAHAHAHAAH, that's a joke, right? I understand sv leaving for Curse, it makes a lot of sense for him, but why on earth would Voyboy leave Dignitas for CLG when CLG is on a hard downward spiral? If you were to replace Hotshot for Voyboy, CLG might be unstoppable, but instead they moved their worst player into the jungle and lost their best player. The next few tournaments should be fun.

• Options
    Sampsen wrote: »

I don't even... what? Hotshotgg in the jungle? BWAHAHAHAAH, that's a joke, right? I understand sv leaving for Curse, it makes a lot of sense for him, but why on earth would Voyboy leave Dignitas for CLG when CLG is on a hard downward spiral? If you were to replace Hotshot for Voyboy, CLG might be unstoppable, but instead they moved their worst player into the jungle and lost their best player. The next few tournaments should be fun.

i think saint left cause he got tired of how he perceived CLG's complete lack of dedication

after korea everyone on the team really made it sound like they were gonna buckle down and practice hard and really improve and then they... didn't. doublelift still ignores calls, hotshot still hasn't expanded his champ pool and i think chauster just plays diablo all day now

• Options

i think saint left cause he got tired of how he perceived CLG's complete lack of dedication

after korea everyone on the team really made it sound like they were gonna buckle down and practice hard and really improve and then they... didn't. doublelift still ignores calls, hotshot still hasn't expanded his champ pool and i think chauster just plays diablo all day now

Competitive gaming is really fascinating. How do we even know all this? Am I missing the xoxo gossip girl texts? o.0

• Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Competitive gaming is really fascinating. How do we even know all this? Am I missing the xoxo gossip girl texts? o.0

LoL and SC2 (to a smaller degree) progamers are astoundingly, hilariously open with a lot of the inner workings of their team relationships and disagreements

• Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular

LoL and SC2 (to a smaller degree) progamers are astoundingly, hilariously open with a lot of the inner workings of their team relationships and disagreements

A lot of it in LoL is done under the guise of "keeping the community informed" but all these things that get released, I think, are the teams trying to justify their weaknesses, losses, etc and much like in solo queue each pro players has to let the community know that the loss wasn't their fault!

qFN53.png
  • Options

A lot of it in LoL is done under the guise of "keeping the community informed" but all these things that get released, I think, are the teams trying to justify their weaknesses, losses, etc and much like in solo queue each pro players has to let the community know that the loss wasn't their fault!

Watching some of the pros play solo queue is fascinating. A lot of them try to spin it onto other players, but some of them (like saint) just give 0 shits and fuck around a bunch. He tries to win, but doesnt really care if he does or doesnt (hard randoms his junglers, though I havent seen him do that in awhile). He rages once in awhile if someone throws a game really hard, but most of the time he laughs at the stupid stuff his teammates does and moves on.

But really, how does anyone on CLG think they can win with Hotshotgg jungling?

• Options

Back to this, I think a lot of it comes from them streaming for hours on end. This kind of stuff is on their mind (gaming is their life), so it makes sense that they talk about it at least a little.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So I really hope there comes a time when I stop getting matched up with complete idiots at champ select. Maybe it's when I reach level 30 summoner level, or maybe I just need to raise my hidden ELO or whatever, but I'm getting so tired of dodging games and having to wait 15 minutes to try again. I simply don't understand why people queue for draft if they don't understand the meta. It's so easy to queue for blind pick and just play whatever champ you want in whatever lane, but I'm the one who gets the guy who picks Garen when the team tells him he's the AD carry.

You pretty much dig yourself into a pit if you keep dodging. I'm not too up to date on the inner workings of it, but the matchmaker isn't too fond of dodgers/ leavers.

Also, what Sampsen said. The meta is based on neigh-perfect last-hitting and overall good mechanics and item knowledge. At lower levels of play, blindly sticking to the meta is weak because people just don't know or have the mechanics for it. (CS, ward control, lane control, map control and so on). For example, the AD carry/support lane is based upon the AD carry getting all the cs. That doesn't mean that one person get to last hit and one doesnt. It means that one person manages to grab every single creep in that lane. (Though most people end up with ~80-90% because lane pressure) There is absolutely nothing wrong playing different things, even in draft. Don't be afraid try different things and for heavens sake, don't worry about your win/loss ratio. As long as you train at basic mechanics and map pressure, you'll eventually even it out or even pull ahead. Worrying about normal W/L is reserved for lv. 30s who don't play ranked/ aren't in the possitive.

Don't be afraid to explore the game.

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    Nonono, don't dodge those games and don't rely on the meta to tell you what is good and what is not good. The meta is only truly optimal at high levels of play - at low elos, and especially pre-30, the meta means pretty much nothing and any combination of characters can be good.

No, I'm hurting myself when I play on a team with a bunch of idiots playing whatever bad matchups against people respecting the meta and dominating our lanes. Blind pick is fine for that stuff, but to me, draft is there for people who want to play to the meta. I don't really dodge a bunch of games, I try to stick it out, but it's such a waste of time when people are so awful. Master yi bottom lane solo against a standard bot lane? Yeah, that's going to work out well.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I just went 6/1 with Sona!

But our Tryndamere went 7/14.

We did not win :(

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Yeah the skillshot does damage and you can activate to dash-kick for more damage + x% missing opponent health

The other one dashes to an allied target an applies a shield to both - works on champs, minions, wards. Activate that for life steal
    Addendum: In duels and jungling, Lee Sin self-casts his defensive dash to at least get the Safeguard shield on himself.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

No, I'm hurting myself when I play on a team with a bunch of idiots playing whatever bad matchups against people respecting the meta and dominating our lanes. Blind pick is fine for that stuff, but to me, draft is there for people who want to play to the meta. I don't really dodge a bunch of games, I try to stick it out, but it's such a waste of time when people are so awful. Master yi bottom lane solo against a standard bot lane? Yeah, that's going to work out well.

What you're describing has nothing to do with meta and everything to do with people not understanding lane-matchups properly. Why not send a ranged carry top? I mean, if you do their melee top won't be getting any cs for the first 10 minutes. Why is that, and why isn't this done more?

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah, and the activation gives spell vamp/armor as well as the life steal

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular

Back to this, I think a lot of it comes from them streaming for hours on end. This kind of stuff is on their mind (gaming is their life), so it makes sense that they talk about it at least a little.

If you follow the fighting game circuit even a little bit, you pick up on tons of drama. Much of it very similar to what we see in LoL. I've fallen out of watching Street Fighter streams but everyonce and a while you'll hear some crazy drama about player x leaving team y thinking team z can get him a sweeter deal. It always ends up being hilarious either way.

But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    I should start watching these streams. Sounds better than most soaps. Plus, LoL! :^:
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

What you're describing has nothing to do with meta and everything to do with people not understanding lane-matchups properly. Why not send a ranged carry top? I mean, if you do their melee top won't be getting any cs for the first 10 minutes. Why is that, and why isn't this done more?

Wouldn't most melee tops just feast on tasty carry instead?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, they would. It sounds like the range would be an advantage, but a couple auto attacks from an AD carry with no items is nothing compared to an udyr tiger proc, an olaf true damage smack, and don't even get started on somebody like Riven. The top could just keep the ranged from getting much CS at all unless they wanted to trade, and that would end in the ranged being dead quick.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Caenem wrote: »

If you follow the fighting game circuit even a little bit, you pick up on tons of drama. Much of it very similar to what we see in LoL. I've fallen out of watching Street Fighter streams but everyonce and a while you'll hear some crazy drama about player x leaving team y thinking team z can get him a sweeter deal. It always ends up being hilarious either way.

LoL/SC2 drama is nothing compared to FGC drama, man

FGC drama will always be the most dramatic of all esports(tm) drama

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

If this is a serious question:

A Serious Answer
    Ranged Carry top is not inherently bad but there are a couple of things that make it generally weaker than the standard top. And to understand that lets talk a bit about the lane.

First of all we understand that top is going to be the solo lane because you want to duo closer to dragon. This gives you the mid/late game gold advantage if you can hold it. Essentially if you send a solo lane bottom and they send a duo lane bottom their duo lane is more likely to be able to hold dragon effectively. By the time baron is on the table, most games are beyond laning anyway, so double lane top doesn't make a lot of sense.

The second thing to understand about top is that its a long lane(like bottom). Because its a long lane its easier to gank and more importantly for this understanding, easier to bully. If you bully mid lane the enemy mid is still very close to his tower [and relative saftey]. If you can successfully bully top, he has a lot longer to go to saftey, increasing the likelihood of dying and decreasing his ability to get creeps.

So why do we see bruisers top rather than ranged carries? A: Because ranged carries tend to be a lot weaker than bruisers in terms of base stats. E.G. Corki: 457 HP, 51 AD at level 1. Lee Sin 518 HP, 59 AD at level 1. Lee Sin has a dash and can pressure Corki out of the lane simply by having more armor/hp/move speed etc. This isn't true all the time but it is generally true. If Corki gets two AA's off before Lee Sin closes the distance Lee Sin probably still wins that fight due to higher HP/Armor/AD.

The simplest way to say it is that ranged carries have a hard time winning solo lanes against traditional bruisers whereas they have less problems if they have a support[because you can run interference and coordinate fire and other stuff which reduces the advantage in base stats that the bruiser has] and since you cannot as effectively run a duo lane top due to losing dragon control solo top tends to be bruisers.

Now, there are exceptions to this rule and nothing is set in stone. The most obvious example is Teemo, who has strong defense, harass, and his blind and so makes a good counter pick top. As well as sometimes Corki/Ezreal who both have strong escapes and can work against certain bruisers.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    I really like that second TSM team. More than the primary team, by far.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    ITP Jax does real work, takes damage in face all game

so once again a bad like @BillGates can get another penta

201205192311BillPenta.jpg

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And I wasn't alive for that because I took a Pyroclasm to the face after blowing my initial Taric load.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.