As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I ain't much of a musician but that don't mean I can't jam

The Cow KingThe Cow King a islandRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
Instruments!

Who plays them? Trust me they are super fun. I'm on summer and I only work part time so I figured it is a good a time as any to just well start playing my guitar again.

Speaking of which here it is! The pictures are bad because my phone is bad.

KB3Te.png

It's nothing special just a Aria I bought back when I started 5 years ago now? My dad has a rad ass guitar.

f03Cv.png

Yes a fender stratocaster I believe its at least 20 years old I'll have to ask him. He was at work when I took the picture so I'm not sure of the age. It is a lot of fun to play however. He is also letting me use his old marshal amp and effects pedals and I'm just going to jam all summer and maybe get kind of good. Probably not.

So how about you SE++ do you play Guitar, Drums, Violin, the triangle, your voice, or even your butt?

Or maybe your even in a band. Or just like me and know a couple songs and bits and pieces here and there.

icGJy2C.png
The Cow King on

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Except its 3 pm and both my roommates are still sleeping so I can't play

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    My most recent instrument is an open back banjo. The right hand technique is different enough that I almost feel like I'm learning to play an instrument for the first time. Shit is hard, but it's also a lot of fun.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I play the mandolin

bluegrass now

bluegrass tomorrow

bluegrass forever

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i like strawberry.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Heh funny enough my friends dad has both a banjo and a mandolin and plays bluegrass I love listenting to him play.

I found the song I have to learn the lead to by the end of summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&v=rS53xx2U3-I&hl=en&client=mv-google

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I play guitar in two bands and bass in a third

I am a busy guy

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I play the triangle.

And at some point I want to learn the guitar. But I'm moving after summer hopefully, and probably won't be able to afford even a cheap one until I do that and settle down for a month at least.

I'd also like to learn piano.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    RedZeroRedZero Registered User regular
    I just started learning guitar. Bought a cheap electric/amp from a local shop. It is fun, but trying to figure out how to properly palm mute is driving me mad. My feeble hands seem incapable of being able to apply even pressure to all the strings.

I want to take lessons, but, you know, time and money and all that.

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I play the saxophone

and the tin whistle

and the harmonia a little bit

and the melodica even less

and I suuuuuck at all of them

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    I started out with violin and cello in elementary school (the rationale of playing cello was that I could stay seated during performances, violin players stood up). Then I switched to clarinet and was classically trained on it until the middle of high school (with a brief year-long stint on sax) when the crazy ass music faculty and peers drew me away from that world - also I wasn't keen on going to music performance school.

Since then I've played bass guitar and guitar (having played the former in your usual crappy high school band, and in jazz ensembles along with proper lessons). I've given up on trying to play with people for a while now, so I've been tooling around with a drum machine as well the past couple of years, and recently bought a computer-based recording set up which i haven't really used yet. At some point I hope to have a period of time where I can just lock myself in a room with all my gear and start recording demos and samples of the stuff i've been working on.

I have:
    An MIM fender, and squier classic vibe, jbass (I know some people think fender is too vanilla, but it's the only bass where I always get that "feel" where there's no discomfort playing it)
    a korean-made epiphone tbird bass which has since been used by my younger brother
    an ibanez acoustic guitar
    MIM fender stratocaster
    a pedal board with a vox wah and 5 boss stompboxes
    a GK bass head running into a 2x12 bass cab
    an SWR bass combo amp
    aforementioned drum machine and recording gear

I've also been eyeing that vox ac4tv tube combo amp cause I've been wanting a small proper guitar amp.

I... like to collect gear even though I don't use all of it consistently enough.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was head nerd in marching band (Drum Major).

Played French horn and was pretty good. I really enjoyed it.
    Got a full ride at a university because of my French horn playin'.

After a year of that, I realized I didn't want to play for a living because I hated practicing.

I'm currently saving for a French horn to play for pleasure, though. What I want is:
    rUtPql.jpg

Conn 8DSR (well, pictured is an 8DR, but I want it with a screw bell)

Because I'm okay with owning an instrument that's worth more than my car.

Though I do wish I were able to play a more practical and cool instrument like you guitar players.

Good thread.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I have a guitar I've never learned how to play. My uncle bought it for me intending for either him or my cousin to teach me, but it never really panned out. I've tried picking it up a bunch of times and learning from the book they gave me with it, but I have a difficult time figuring out the fingerings without tactile instruction. There are a couple very simple things I can play after being shown exactly how to do it, so I feel like I could pick it up with proper instruction, but alas, it hasn't happened yet. I might even consider paying for lessons in the future.

I also used to play the trumpet many years ago in school band and when I had to give it up due to time constraints limiting my practise, I quickly discovered I had loved it far more than I realised and it's remained one of the biggest regrets of my life. I'm starting a summer job in a couple weeks working as a historical interpreter portraying an 1880s soldier, and I have the chance to play bugle and I'm desperately hoping I retain enough of it to pick that up.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am learning to play the violin and it's awesome and rewarding and I love it. I started two months ago.

Oh so bad at it though.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I kinda want to try Guitar again.

But I dunno.

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    I kinda miss playing my bass in a metal band.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    I play guitar, but I've hit sort of a plateau. I can play chords and sing along and whatnot, but my technique probably isn't going to get any better unless I take lessons somewhere.

But shoot, I love playing and singing.

And I played euphonium in high school and college band. It's not quite as sexy as the guitar.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    this is my guitar
    F6aSU.jpg
    it is a squier strat and my best friend gave it to me for sixty bucks

it is probably my favorite thing i own even though i am really bad at playing it with any kind of skill

fortunately i play in a pop-punk band which negates the need for skill

Buttlord on
  • Options
    I took lessons when I started and they helped immensely. I also had a really really sweet instructor.
    RedZero wrote: »
    I just started learning guitar. Bought a cheap electric/amp from a local shop. It is fun, but trying to figure out how to properly palm mute is driving me mad. My feeble hands seem incapable of being able to apply even pressure to all the strings.

I want to take lessons, but, you know, time and money and all that.

Palm muting is kind of tricky, I learned it as soon as possible cause I had a metal instructor but its not really all that much pressure you have to exert. Try using the right most side of your palm and lightly resting it against the strings.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    also anybody who mutes the fifth in a power chord so that all you hear is the root and the octave can go right to hell

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sr1msl.html

I've been thinking of getting one of these.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Speaking of music, Donna Summer is dead

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Also, at some point I would like to own and learn to play a harp.

It's a magical instrument that I would like to master.

And Chuck Brown. Sucks.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular

And Chuck Berry. Sucks.

WHATT??? Looking as his wiki there is a contradiction here.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    HEEEAAAAVYYY-Metal-heavy-metal-1335142-636-544.gif

• Options
    is this where i point out how bullshit it is that the dude from GWAR died out of goddamn nowhere

because it is

• Options
    CptKemzik wrote: »

And Chuck Berry. Sucks.

WHATT??? Looking as his wiki there is a contradiction here.

Shit, I meant Brown, not Berry. My bad.

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I want to learn how to play the piano but I have zero discipline.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    GWAR is the greatest live show of all time

and RIP Donna Summer

Xehalus on
  • Options
    The fact that Oderus Urungus of all people appeared on a Fox News talk show for a year and a half will always be a testament to how fantastic GWAR is.

Even Fox News couldn't hate GWAR.

• Options
    if a heavy metal band offered me to be their drummer

I'd find it hard to give anything else priority

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Buttlord wrote: »
    also anybody who mutes the fifth in a power chord so that all you hear is the root and the octave can go right to hell

What? Why? You are dumb

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The fact that Oderus Urungus of all people appeared on a Fox News talk show for a year and a half will always be a testament to how fantastic GWAR is.

Even Fox News couldn't hate GWAR.

the best part is i'm pretty sure he doesn't even like them and just wanted money

in character he's referred to the right wing as awesome because "they're all about war and people dying in the gutters what's not to love"

there's a video with Oderus and Beefcake doing a tour of a game studio that's worth watching, too

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Daddy Two-CoatsDaddy Two-Coats Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Knob wrote: »

What? Why? You are dumb

Because then it's not a power chord, it's an octave. If anything you would mute the octave and just ring out the first and 5th.

Here's my main acoustic/electric, I'll take a pic of the electric rig when I get home.

ed73f.jpg

Daddy Two-Coats on
  • Options

What? Why? You are dumb

because i can never get the pressure quite right so either you hear the open string or you hear the fifth and it's a pain in my ass and i hate people so much

make my life easier everyone

(it sounds cool as heck with distortion though)

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular

What? Why? You are dumb

Buttlord, you are wrong. Some great music has been made that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Rni4hyAEE

• Options
    bad religion might be breaking up after their next album

on one hand, that's sad

on the other, dissent of man was mediocre at best so maybe it's time for them to wind it up

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    They'll be back in about 10 years for a reunion, after selling the rights to Suffer and Stranger than Fiction to General Motors for commercials.

This is a direct reference to The Clash.

• Options
    Also if anyone wants to jam in the Portland area, I can play bass and geetar. I like all music.

• Options
    look i literally give zero fucks about the clash selling rights to GM

joe strummer could have strangled a fucking puppy while sodomizing a goat and i'd be like "rock on joe strummer"

• Options
    Yeah, it doesn't make me dislike their music or their attitude at all. I don't judge. It just was a slight kick to the nuts. A grazing kick.