As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kickstart my heart

LegbaLegba He did.Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
28rudy.jpg

Kickstarter is the crowd-funding phenomenon that is sweeping America. And by America I mean the world, because you can get funding from anywhere. Got a dumb idea that you want to fund? Make a project, offer rewards, and watch the dough roll in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMkNvHiLF4

At least, that's the theory. In practice, some things catch on much more than others. Like the Pebble. An eink watch that asked for $100,000... and made over $10,000,000. That's crazy. On the other hand, some dude's Naruto live action short that asked for just $100? Dude got $30. And if you don't make the whole shebang by your deadline, you get nothing. Nothing.

But you know what? There are some god damn success stories on this thing.

What are some of the awesome projects you can/could have fund(ed)?

Pebble epaper watch:
2hcizhw.jpg

Crania Anatomica Filigre
2hec46u.jpg

MaKey MaKey
2dj5oj8.jpg
You use it to control your computer with this
9ql6qe.jpg

So this is the thread for discussing the awesome Kickstarter projects and Kickstarter in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4aob4zlhIk

Mod-enforced thread rules:
Discuss, but don't link to projects.
Don't sitewhore your project. (See rule #1.)

Legba on

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SAY YOU LOVE ME AGAAAAIN

UNDO THIS HURT

sig.gif
  • Options
    oh

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    SAY YOU LOVE ME AGAAAAIN

UNDO THIS HURT

YOU CAUSED WHEN YOU WALKED OUT THE DOOR

AND WALKED OUT OF MY LIFE

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    one of the dudes at SA was going to do a thing where he got people to give him money to make a sandwich and then he would make and eat it on livestream and discuss the quality of it and such

different levels got you charts and such

the top tier, ten bucks, meant he would write your name on it in mustard

and he's a physicist so he knows cool charts

they rejected him

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    one of the dudes at SA was going to do a thing where he got people to give him money to make a sandwich and then he would make and eat it on livestream and discuss the quality of it and such

they rejected him

yeah, they have a strict no "fund my life" policy. we looked into it, we were going to do something similar.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Thanks to this phenomenon I get to play all the best games again. Fuck you publishers, my money's on these folk.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've given my money to the Double Fine Adventure and the new Shadowrun game, but I could have easily funded a half dozen more videogames alone. And then there are the awesome-looking documentaries, the cool gadgets and fancy arts and crafts objects... really I find myself spending waaaay too much time browsing projects to fund.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Banana piano whaaaaaat

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Banana piano whaaaaaat

It's actually really cool! Among their other examples are playdough, pencil scribbles, and a beach ball.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Was hoping for a thread about defibrillators. Thread does not deliver.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    Banana piano whaaaaaat

It's actually really cool! Among their other examples are playdough, pencil scribbles, and a beach ball.

Ok now I need this and some playdoh and I'm going to go drive a crane

• Options
    I can't help but feel like people jumped on Kickstarter and made it a big deal way too fast and they're kind of burning out the novelty now.

Like people are all over it right now like it's Pogs and we're in 1993. And obviously today Pogs are still the most awesome thing of all time.

Fund my kickstarter to bring Pogs back

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I can't help but feel like people jumped on Kickstarter and made it a big deal way too fast and they're kind of burning out the novelty now.

Like people are all over it right now like it's Pogs and we're in 1993. And obviously today Pogs are still the most awesome thing of all time.

Fund my kickstarter to bring Pogs back

tumblr_la26okNkyM1qztjn5o1_500.png

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »

they rejected him

yeah, they have a strict no "fund my life" policy. we looked into it, we were going to do something similar.

the key is to disguise it as a legitimate enterprise

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Squall wrote: »

I think I lost a lot of faith in humanity today

as a direct result of this link

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    restore bugboy's faith in humanity by pledging to his kickstarter

each dollar donated will earn you a text message about a cool bug

at the five dollar level he will text you a picture of a bug he saw

at the ten dollar level he will identify a bug for you

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »

I'm dead

That link killed me

• Options
    I need to figure out a way to get about $1,500 to pay off my old student loans so I can go back to college this year. I wonder if people will pay for me to self-publish a book of bad poetry.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Never not gonna laugh at the ultimate pog

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I'm going to create an organization called Punchstopper.

If enough people donate enough money to a cause it will have to cease all activity, but the money donated will be their payout.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    People have built up a lot of expectations for the Pebble watch, i wonder if it will live up to them.

I think a lot of people are going to feel burned by kickstarter after funding projects that take forever to materialize or do so poorly

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Nobody wears watches

Unless it's a black tie kind of affair

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    People have built up a lot of expectations for the Pebble watch, i wonder if it will live up to them.

I think a lot of people are going to feel burned by kickstarter after funding projects that take forever to materialize or do so poorly

don't be silly, the internet is ahistorical

• Options
    Nobody wears watches

Unless it's a black tie kind of affair

I wore a watch all of the time until my kids broke it. I like wearing a watch. I need a mushroom watch to go with my mushroom jacket. Got to COORDINATE!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular

Oh God, that Tentacle Bento Kickstarter.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options

I can agree with this. The problem with Kickstarter, if there is one, is the lack of requirements on the publisher once they get their money. In some cases (and the ones that tend to do well), all that is laid out clearly, but there are definitely some cases where you're more or less just funding an idea and fingers crossed.

Mind you, I only started funding stuff a while ago, and I try to spread my funding wide. Eventually I should see a steady stream of projects coming in.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

This is making my day.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    @bugboy I am legitimately interested in being texted cool bug information and pictures

• Options
    I don't actually have that many pictures of bugs

new plan

kickstart me moving to australia to take pictures of bugs
    cool bug fact: certain bees will feed off your sweat

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    bugboy I am legitimately interested in being texted cool bug information and pictures

Hm. I DO feel pretty bad that I don't know very much about bugs and/or boys. This might be a good opportunity.

OK. I am interested in getting bugboy texts.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

At the 1000 dollar level he will fly to your city and go on a private bug hunt with you

he will find a beetle larva on a leaf

he will stare at it

he will not say anything

he will not move

eventually you will become uncomfortable and leave

• Options
    that is completely untrue

I will talk to the bug

you know this because I just did find that beetle larva like half an hour ago

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »

I can agree with this. The problem with Kickstarter, if there is one, is the lack of requirements on the publisher once they get their money. In some cases (and the ones that tend to do well), all that is laid out clearly, but there are definitely some cases where you're more or less just funding an idea and fingers crossed.

Mind you, I only started funding stuff a while ago, and I try to spread my funding wide. Eventually I should see a steady stream of projects coming in.

This is why, I think, Double Fine had to film their Kickstarter project. Because like Tim said in the video, if it fails, there's still something there at the end. It would actually be more interesting if it all went to shit and the documentary slowly degraded into this kind of Lost in LaMancha nightmare.

Can you imagine the internet fury if Adventure comes out and is actually just a bad game.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I would definitely donate money to a Kickstart project that would have Bugboy doing a podcast

one episode a week

where he has conversations and interviews with random bugs that he finds throughout that week

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular

If I give $5 do I get both the 1 and 5 reward? If so, I am in for 5.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Welcome to Bug Facts™. Thank you for your continued support of bugs. Here is your bug fact for today:
    Did you know that the average North American grasshopper can be taught a vocabulary of 3 small words? Theodore Roosevelt's pet grasshopper could say "That Smells Bad"!
    I can't do this on my own. :(

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    im still vomitting blood over least i could do making 100 grand through this but there are so many other rad projects and potential for awesome things that im really, really happy for kickstarter. seriously this feels like an actual gamechanger, like a 'this internet thing will hurt non-internet forms of business' thing!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

the dude running this is a total shitlord