As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MacBook buying advice

dorindorin Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I am thinking about getting a MacBook to work on some iOS app development. Is now a good time to buy, or would I be better off waiting for a Mountain Lion to come out?

dorin on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    dorin wrote:
    I am thinking about getting a MacBook to work on some iOS app development. Is now a good time to buy, or would I be better off waiting for a Mountain Lion to come out?

it's all but confirmed that the update/refresh/whatever for the laptops will be done next month at wwdc

normally i'd say 'just buy what you want, there's always an upgrade to make you want to procrastinate'... but this new update is very imminent, and if you want to get one of the (very capable, i might add) current gen machines you'll be able to grab it at a discount

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Definitley wait. It's going to be a major update to the line

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    What's been said above. If you're ever curious where a particular Mac line is at any point in time, Mac Buy's Guide is always nice.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    The best advice now is WAIT NO STOP DONT!

Seriously. Some of the rumors about the new macbooks due this summer make them out to be the second coming of computer jesus.

Super slim, ssd only, no optical drive, and a retina-ish display.

Im a PC fanboy and im drooling over one.... to format and install windows 8 on :D

• Options
    dorindorin Registered User regular
    Ok, so it definately sounds like I should wait, even if I am buying a current gen MacBook, there will probably be clearance pricing after WWDC.

Since I am buying this for iOS app development, primarily game development, what would be the best product line to go with? I like the MacBook Air, but I don't know if I would need a graphics card for iOS game development.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I went with pro for the screen real estate personally. Any limits on your budget?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    If the machine is only for programing and general use I'd take a look at the Air's, the 13 inch airs are almost identical to the 13 inch pros other than the disc drive, SSD hard drive, and overall size. In any event, if you don't NEED it then wait for the next refresh because they will be better and the older ones will be cheaper.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    dorin wrote: »
    Ok, so it definately sounds like I should wait, even if I am buying a current gen MacBook, there will probably be clearance pricing after WWDC.

Since I am buying this for iOS app development, primarily game development, what would be the best product line to go with? I like the MacBook Air, but I don't know if I would need a graphics card for iOS game development.

My i7 Air runs ME3 (on windows) pretty well, for reference.

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    dorin wrote: »
    I only have limited experience with iOS programming, so don't take my word as gospel, but I imagine if you're doing any sort of intensive 3D work you'd want to be testing on an actual device. Since it's been run through an emulator on the Mac, I can't imagine even a specced-out MBP would give comparable graphics performance to an iDevice.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You'll be fine with a mac mini or mac air, or any modern OSX mac. You'll probably want a device from the platform you're targetting to do some deep testing, but you could completely develop the app on the 11" macbook air (least capable current hardware). More cpu and ram will give you faster compiles/renders and a generally more capable machine though.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    There's no point to go with an Air unless you need maximum portability. A 13" MacBook Pro at the same price point is a much, much better choice. The $999 Air only gives you a 64gb HD or 128gb at the $1199 level.

Esh on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    There's no point to go with an Air unless you need maximum portability. A 13" MacBook Pro at the same price point is a much, much better choice. The $999 Air only gives you a 64gb HD or 128gb at the $1199 level.

Unless you would rather have the blazing fast SSD than the extra HD space.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    lislovin wrote: »
    I have a question.. isn't the Mountain Lion OS supposed to be available for all Mac devices? like isn't it just another firmware update?

It will likely be available for all Mac computers with a certain low level of spec, but typically major OS revisions have come along around the same time as new hardware revisions. They're basically saying that if he waits, he may get something better for the same money, or one of the current gen things for less money, plus he won't have to pay for the upgraded OS since it will come on all new macs.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    aside from the ssd, the air is also noticeably lighter. i have a 13" macbook pro, and even though it is still <5 lbs and lighter than many popular laptops, i would never want to carry it around in a world where the air exists. so if you have another primary machine and this is really just a cocoa/ios development workhorse, then i'd give a solid look at the pro line, sure (well, depending on how everything looks come the revamp).

but if this'll be your primary machine and you plan to move around with it at all, the ridiculous lightness of the air is a huge plus.

it's definitely something you'll want to poke around at in-store.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    admanb wrote: »

Unless you would rather have the blazing fast SSD than the extra HD space.

Yeah, I'll take quadruple the storage space over a marginal hard drive access time and let's PLEASE not get into an argument about the speed difference. If it's really going make a difference, buy a hybrid drive. I put a 750gb hybrid into my MacBook Pro and I'm at less than 20 second boot times.

I carry my 13" MacBook Pro everywhere all day every day and I don't even know it's there. As it's going to be the OP's main machine, an Air wouldn't be the best choice. It's definitely a secondary platform for anything of substance.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    we differ there i guess. i carry the 13" mbp in my messenger bag all the time. i'm a grown man, i'm not saying it's 'heavy'. but it's definitely heavier by a noticeable amount when it's in your hand. i move around my house constantly and take my laptop most places, and when this thing conks out i'll be replacing it with a mba. for me it's not 'less enough' of a machine to cancel out the advantage of the way better form factor. i am also a developer (and a comp sci student) and the air totally fits all my needs.

op: i definitely recommend picking up both.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    we differ there i guess. i carry the 13" mbp in my messenger bag all the time. i'm a grown man, i'm not saying it's 'heavy'. but it's definitely heavier by a noticeable amount when it's in your hand. i move around my house constantly and take my laptop most places, and when this thing conks out i'll be replacing it with a mba. for me it's not 'less enough' of a machine to cancel out the advantage of the way better form factor. i am also a developer (and a comp sci student) and the air totally fits all my needs.

Really? The SSD is enough space for you? Which one do you have? I think it's just a matter of people being spoiled by convenience. There's absolutely nothing hefty or limiting in form factor about the Pro. It's just a matter of one being a bit lighter and to equal the same power and utility, much more expensive.

• Options
    edited May 2012

Really? The SSD is enough space for you? Which one do you have? I think it's just a matter of people being spoiled by convenience. There's absolutely nothing hefty or limiting in form factor about the Pro. It's just a matter of one being a bit lighter and to equal the same power and utility, much more expensive.

i don't have any mba; i have a mbp. i'm saying that i will replace it with a mba when it dies. and of course heftiness is relative. a 6 lb laptop isn't really heavy, either. it's not like 6 lbs is a lot of weight. and 4.5 lbs certainly isn't. but next to an air, it feels unpleasantly heavy (to me, at least). the air can run 3d games (on low settings), it can play HD video... it works fine. it's not exactly like most people (even developers) need a tremendous amount of under the hood power. i am perfectly happy using an ostensibly less powerful machine. it accomplishes all the same tasks albeit a bit slower. and in return it is delightfully insubstantial. different strokes, i suppose.

but of course, we will see come wwdc. tons of rumors about merged lines and slimming all around and removing optical drives and retina displays and so on.

Organichu on
  • Options

i don't have any mba; i have a mbp. i'm saying that i will replace it with a mba when it dies. and of course heftiness is relative. a 6 lb laptop isn't really heavy, either. it's not like 6 lbs is a lot of weight. and 4.5 lbs certainly isn't. but next to an air, it feels unpleasantly heavy (to me, at least). the air can run 3d games (on low settings), it can play HD video... it works fine. it's not exactly like most people (even developers) need a tremendous amount of under the hood power. i am perfectly happy using an ostensibly less powerful machine. it accomplishes all the same tasks albeit a bit slower. and in return it is delightfully insubstantial. different strokes, i suppose.

but of course, we will see come wwdc. tons of rumors about merged lines and slimming all around and removing optical drives and retina displays and so on.

Oh, I thought you actually owned one and were recommending it based on use.

And yeah, I'm planning on upgrading from this 13" to a 15" MBP come August. I'm quite excited.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I have a 128gb and it's absolutely enough space when you use cloud storage and externals for all your music and videos. Also, MBAs aren't more expensive, they're just specced in different directions.

• Options
    i've used a mba plenty; i just don't own one yet.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    admanb wrote: »

I have a 128gb and it's absolutely enough space when you use cloud storage and externals for all your music and videos. Also, MBAs aren't more expensive, they're just specced in different directions.

They're not "specced" differently. It's the fact that it's pretty much all you can cram into the form factor at this point. It's a necessity, not an option.

I mean, it really depends on your usage, for me, that's a slightly (and I do mean slightly) larger form factor along with the greatly increased storage and power. MBA are for the majority of people secondary computers, but if that's enough to get you by, then by all means, I just think it's strange to suggest that it's more than enough for most people.

I mean, definitely go into an Apple store and look at them first hand. Just don't let the wowness of "Holy shit this is small!" overwhelm what might be a more practical solution.

Esh on
  • Options
    BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    I was tempted by the MBA until I tried one. Ended up going with the MBP, and I love it. Much less weight than my Toshiba, yes, heavier than the Air, but I use my laptops for business, and my business requires burning discs in really odd locations for other people. Hurking around an external disc drive along with an MBA just seemed silly and counterproductive, not to mention not very practical for the locations my work takes me. The MBP is easy to carry, rides nice when I'm on my mt. bike, and fits into saddlebags without feeling like it might break if my pack animal rubs against a tree.
    I suddenly realize this probably isn't the typical laptop/netbook review... meh, whatever.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    What? No. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. So fucking wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, first: 128gb is definitely enough space "for most people". It's certainly enough space for iOS development. I've been running off a 128Gb drive for the past year or more -- complete with a Windows 7 partition -- and it's been fine. I don't want to be running around saying "it fits my needs therefore it must fit everyone's needs", but I have to wonder if, yeah, um, if I can manage living off a 128gb drive, maybe other people who aren't dual-booting a separate OS can also manage just fine.

Second: the MBA has a 1440x900 resolution screen. The 13" MBP still, somehow, and hopefully not for much longer, is saddled with a 1280x800 display.

I honestly think the 13" MBP is the worst laptop you could buy from Apple's lineup right now, including the plastic Macbook*. The MBA is definitely more than a "secondary platform for anything of substance". What, the lack of storage space is crippling its ability to develop iOS programs? I think the MBP's anemic resolution is more "crippling".
    I just think it's strange to suggest that it's more than enough for most people.
    Well … it is. "Most people" don't even use an MBA to its full potential. What are "most people" doing on their computers, in your curious little world? And don't you dare say videogames, because the MBP and the MBA are both stuck with the same shitty onboard graphics, so neither laptop would suit in that case.

* on closer inspection, it looks like the plastic Macbook was discontinued? That's a shame. I didn't mind that little chap. Bit misunderstood though. Oh well: the MBP is now the worst laptop in Apple's lineup.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    As a programmer, 64gb is more than enough space to do what we do. SSD is more valuable than half a terabyte of HDD space.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    What? No. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. So fucking wrong I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, first: 128gb is definitely enough space "for most people". It's certainly enough space for iOS development. I've been running off a 128Gb drive for the past year or more -- complete with a Windows 7 partition -- and it's been fine. I don't want to be running around saying "it fits my needs therefore it must fit everyone's needs", but I have to wonder if, yeah, um, if I can manage living off a 128gb drive, maybe other people who aren't dual-booting a separate OS can also manage just fine.

Second: the MBA has a 1440x900 resolution screen. The 13" MBP still, somehow, and hopefully not for much longer, is saddled with a 1280x800 display.

I honestly think the 13" MBP is the worst laptop you could buy from Apple's lineup right now, including the plastic Macbook*. The MBA is definitely more than a "secondary platform for anything of substance". What, the lack of storage space is crippling its ability to develop iOS programs? I think the MBP's anemic resolution is more "crippling".
    I just think it's strange to suggest that it's more than enough for most people.
    Well … it is. "Most people" don't even use an MBA to its full potential. What are "most people" doing on their computers, in your curious little world? And don't you dare say videogames, because the MBP and the MBA are both stuck with the same shitty onboard graphics, so neither laptop would suit in that case.

* on closer inspection, it looks like the plastic Macbook was discontinued? That's a shame. I didn't mind that little chap. Bit misunderstood though. Oh well: the MBP is now the worst laptop in Apple's lineup.

Take a breather and try not to be such a goose when you post. Personal insults aren't going to get you anywhere.

Sure, if all you're doing on it is OS development. My music collection alone takes up four times the space of the 128gb Air's SSD. If that was "just fine" for most people as you say, why does the baseline MBP come with a 500gb drive? The Intel HD3000 isn't that bad for games actually. I play Diablo III at med-high resolution on it. So, yeah, they're more than adequate for mid-level gaming. On board processors are getting better and better. I'm not suggesting you try and play Crysis on it or anything though.

Beyond that, had you read the thread, I told the OP to wait for the next line up, which by all accounts will have the high resolution displays on the MBPs. So, that makes that point moot.

Saying the MBP is the worst computer in Apple's lineup? Really? That's enough to make me disregard anything you've just said.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My music collection alone takes up four times the space of the 128gb Air's SSD.

Both of you guys have some good points, but... Are you really saying you have like 500 GB of music? Holy cow. "Most people" don't store their music in FLAC, which is the only way I could see music taking up that much space. They use MP3 or AAC. I have a fairly sizeable music library, and I'm pretty sure I still clock in under 20 GB because I don't store all of it in lossless. I know FLAC is the ideal standard for music, but I really don't have a 500 GB drive just lying around my house for additional quality (which I might not even notice because I don't keep my music in 128 kbps either). I'm a gamer myself, and I'm still using a laptop with only 250 GB of space (of which I'm currently keeping about 20 GB free) and while yeah, I could now use the space at this point since I have quite a few games on this thing, I'm still managing okay. The OP probably isn't in major need of all the space my games are taking up if he's mostly using it as a dev system, and he almost certainly isn't in need of 500 GB of space for his music collection. 128 GB is actually a good bit of space if you don't download movies or games onto it all the time like we presumably do (or take a ton of photos all the time like my mom does), and keep your music in the typical lossy formats if you've got it on there, even if you've got FLAC copies of everything elsewhere.

Naturally, though, only the OP really knows whether having 128 GB will be a headache for him. I figure it shouldn't be if his primary goal is to have it work as a dev system. Either way, you're definitely right that he should wait until after the next line of laptops is announced to buy anything, whether it be new awesomeness or the current good stuff for cheaper.

Essee on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Take a breather and try not to be such a goose when you post. Personal insults aren't going to get you anywhere.
    Outside of "curious little world", I'd like to know how I've managed to insult you?
    Beyond that, had you read the thread, I told the OP to wait for the next line up, which by all accounts will have the high resolution displays on the MBPs. So, that makes that point moot.
    I read the thread. In my own post I mentioned the resolution will likely change soon. Doesn't change the fact that anyone arguing for the MBP versus the MBA right now needs to consider that fact. If we're arguing about Future MBP vs. Future MBA, then I'd have to argue toward the Future MBA because it's powered by fairydust whereas the Future MBP takes unicorn tears.
    Saying the MBP is the worst computer in Apple's lineup? Really? That's enough to make me disregard anything you've just said.
    The 13" MBP, yes. I'm not alone in thinking this. It's a silly computer and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it disappear in the coming refresh. The MBA is thinner, lighter, just as speedy, has a higher-res screen... "most people" don't have 500Gbs of music lying around, and even if they did, um, the 500Gb drive on the MBP would still be inadequate, leaving you with the option to either buy an aftermarket HDD or just use an external drive, which levels the playing field even further.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Mmmhmm. FLAC/Apple Lossless.
    Outside of "curious little world", I'd like to know how I've managed to insult you?
    I read the thread. In my own post I mentioned the resolution will likely change soon. Doesn't change the fact that anyone arguing for the MBP versus the MBA right now needs to consider that fact. If we're arguing about Future MBP vs. Future MBA, then I'd have to argue toward the Future MBA because it's powered by fairydust whereas the Future MBP takes unicorn tears.
    The 13" MBP, yes. I'm not alone in thinking this. It's a silly computer and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it disappear in the coming refresh. The MBA is thinner, lighter, just as speedy, has a higher-res screen... "most people" don't have 500Gbs of music lying around, and even if they did, um, the 500Gb drive on the MBP would still be inadequate, leaving you with the option to either buy an aftermarket HDD or just use an external drive, which levels the playing field even further.

Well, you did say MBP, so you know...

And no, it's not silly. I need the storage that the MBA just doesn't have and can't have. I don't have the money currently to spend on a 15". So, it's silly to you, but you are by no means everyone. Even if 500gb isn't enough for someone (like me) you can user upgrade (easy) or pay for Apple to do it (expensive).

Anyway, apples and oranges. OP, should like I said, go in and handle them himself.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Mmmhmm. FLAC/Apple Lossless.

I think we can agree you're not the norm.

bowen on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Esh, dude, you can't drop on a thread and say, "Here's my argument against what you said, but please, let's not argue" and then claim some high ground.

As for music storage: I have about 30 gigs of music stored. Almost everyone I know just streams music these days anyway, because the cloud services are a pain in the ass to sync across all the machines you live on (home, work, mobile) and all you really want is something to throw on your headphones during the commute or at the office.

Anyone who needs more than 500 gigs of storage is either a media professional or a digital hoarder.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I am still working on the last 40 gigs of my 80 GByte SSD.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Esh, dude, you can't drop on a thread and say, "Here's my argument against what you said, but please, let's not argue" and then claim some high ground.

As for music storage: I have about 30 gigs of music stored. Almost everyone I know just streams music these days anyway, because the cloud services are a pain in the ass to sync across all the machines you live on (home, work, mobile) and all you really want is something to throw on your headphones during the commute or at the office.

Anyone who needs more than 500 gigs of storage is either a media professional or a digital hoarder.

I'm not claiming high ground, I'm saying that ultimately the OP is going to need to wait, see what the new line looks like, and decide for himself after going into an Apple store. He's not going to blindly order (at least I hope not) one based on our opinions. If you want to continue this, just PM me.

Also, I'm not a professional or a hoarder. I just like my music to sound the best it can. ; )
    7249381170_81a8f370c5_b.jpg

See?

• Options
    You are such a hipster.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hahahahahaha. Come on, Esh. This whole thread was an elaborate scheme to post your music collection, wasn't it? :P

The only time I've ever needed storage like that I had 500 gigs on a Macintosh Pro, and I was doing video editing. I would generally need 20-30 gigs of space when working on actual video for a final product, and then I'd compress for storage and archive on removable media. I just don't see how you can possibly use that much space for personal music. That is insane.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Yeah Esh is an edge case here. A software dev, even for iOS can use pretty much whatever they want. I'd be more impressed with the storage device (SSD) or the hardware capabilities to not make me sit there waiting for a compiler or upload or something than if I have enough storage for my lossless audio media.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    You are such a hipster.
    If he was a hipster he'd have the good Bird and the Bee album. Unless you need your entire music collection on the go it makes more sense to me to keep it on externals and run with the SSD. Part of the problem is that high-quality itunes files are like 10 mb each now.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah Esh is an edge case here. A software dev, even for iOS can use pretty much whatever they want. I'd be more impressed with the storage device (SSD) or the hardware capabilities to not make me sit there waiting for a compiler or upload or something than if I have enough storage for my lossless audio media.

Yeah, I was talking about my 250 GB hard drive in my laptop earlier, where I have enough storage... But I forgot to mention that the thing I don't like about the drive is every time I do anything that requires extensive reading, or possibly writing, from/to the hard drive (zoning in an MMO, starting up a program that takes a lot of disk space, etc.) it's soooo sloooowww. My own laptop handles gaming just fine, except my hard drive often means I'm at least a couple seconds behind anybody else I'm playing with if I have to load anything, with the worst offender having been WoW where my group was able to start getting themselves killed before I zoned in if they all felt like being Rambo. The MBP seems to have the same speed of hard drive (5400 RPM) if I've found the correct set of specs, so the lack of speed may be noticeable for the OP as well. The average desktop drive has been 7200 RPM basically the whole time I've had my laptop (2+ years) so I think that tells you something.

Essee on
  • Options
    Most laptops have 5400 RPM hard drives. Lower power usage with a slight loss in performance. Plus 7200 hard drives pump out heat like jesus doing swing dancing.

• Options
    Most laptops have 5400 RPM hard drives. Lower power usage with a slight loss in performance. Plus 7200 hard drives pump out heat like jesus doing swing dancing.

Granted, but like I was saying the loss in performance can be VERY noticeable side-by-side with any random desktop machine, let alone an SSD. I mean, literally almost everyone I've ever played with online loaded into an area before me (and it's noticeable even in Diablo III with its brief load times between areas). So. Yeah.