As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me pop/punk/rock or whatever it is Fallout Boy plays

SolventSolvent Econ-artistกรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all. I spotted Fall Out Boy's Infinity on High at a CD store recently for cheap and, reliving some memories, picked it up on impulse.
To my surprise, my fiance really digs this album. I was wondering if anyone could point me to albums in a similar style that we might also enjoy.

If it helps, the only other album in this style that I have is Jack's Mannequin, Everything in Transit, which I think is pretty great as an example of this style of music.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
Solvent on

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My favorite FOB album is "From Under the Cork Tree", so perhaps check that out. Others in a similar vein: The Starting Line's "Say It Like You Mean It", Valencia's "This Could Be A Possibility", New Found Glory's self-titled album, or "Sticks and Stones", and I'd have to look at my music collection for those that I can't remember right now. But there's a good start for you!

Edit: I think the genre is technically "Pop Punk", to give you a better idea when searching other sources.

godmode on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If I was you, I'd check out Panic! at the Disco. (Yes, the ! is there on purpose). They have similar styles but Panic! has this 1920 nightclub/circus thing going (odd but awesome!!!): All-American Rejects is another great band that I can help but listening to: Not many people seem to know these guys, but Cute Is What We Aim For is very FOB:
    I haven't heard anything else by these guys but I love this song.
    Dead Pedestrians- Hail to the Geek.

Edit: They are all Youtube videos, not sure why they aren't embedded...

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    If you want some of the bands these guys are stealing their material from try Sunny Day Real Estate, Jets to Brazil, or The Promise Ring.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    lessthanpi wrote: »
    If you want some of the bands these guys are stealing their material from try Sunny Day Real Estate, Jets to Brazil, or The Promise Ring.

I don't know why people think that just because someone plays the same kind of music or was "Influenced" by a certain band that they are "stealing" their music.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Head Automatica might be a good bet.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    The Academy Is... was on the same record label as FOB for a long time and they toured together quite a bit, they may be good for you. Almost Here is probably my favorite album.

Seconding Panic! at the Disco, New Found Glory and Head Automatica, but especially the first one. And yeah, pretty much all of Fall Out Boy's albums are good, at least their 4 main lps.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular

See also

Screeching weasel, nofx, guttermouth

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but The Wonder Years is one of the bigger pop-punk bands doing the rounds these days. The Upsides is just a great, fun album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5XUj3DDb8

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Check out a band called Set Your Goals. Should be right up your alley.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular

See also

see also Jawbreaker, Texas is the Reason, Lifetime, Samiam

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Oh hello thread. Pop punk is my favorite genre

1: The Wonder Years
    2: Man Overboard
    3: Such Gold
    4: Set Your Goals
    5: Four Year Strong
    6: Broadway Calls
    7: Transit
    8: Polar Bear Club
    9: This Time Next Year
    10: The Story So Far
    11: Bangarang!
    12: Daggermouth
    13: The Starting Line
    14: I Call Fives
    15: Handguns

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Check out The Damned Things. Not sure it's exactly what you're looking for, but worth checking out. It's a side project with a couple of the guys from FOB in drums, backing vocals, and guitar (and Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano, which automatically makes it awesome). The verses tend to be more straight forward rock while the chorus sections have more of that pop-punk sound to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMANR-wrg7o

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Been a while since I listened to much pop-punk but used to be into it in a big way, not too sure how similar these will be to what you want though.

Brand New
    The Starting Line
    The Ataris
    Yellowcard
    New Found Glory

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Your avatar is form the Men in Hats webcomic.

What?!?

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

See also

I might throw Less Than Jake and The Bouncing Souls onto that list, too.

• Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    Commit This To Memory is a good album from Motion City Soundtrack (a band not a movie).
    youtube.com/watch?v=XDQsDzEIAkw

Coming Home by New Found Glory is probably my preference from their albums.
    youtube.com/watch?v=E5kqlGzxYZs&feature=related

Also, it's a bit before Fallout Boy I think but SR-71 might also fit the mold of what you're looking for. The only album that I picked up from them was Now You See Inside and that was a long time ago.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Maguano wrote: »

See also

see also Jawbreaker, Texas is the Reason, Lifetime, Samiam

See also the Descendents:

Lawndart on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I like those few by Cute is What We Aim For, thanks. Seems like they're not a big band though, I might have trouble getting CDs of theirs from over here. Won't stop me looking. Yeah, I still buy CDs... I know musics is on the internet now. I'll check out more of Panic! At the Disco as well.

And the other suggestions in this thread, thanks. Haven't listened to all yet but I'll get to them.
    TheCanMan wrote: »

See also

I wouldn't have thought NO FX was the sort of thing I was looking for, but what do you know, some of their stuff is not too far off. I guess I haven't heard any of their stuff for... fifteen years or so, haha.
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Your avatar is form the Men in Hats webcomic.

What?!?

...Yes?

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Solvent wrote: »
    I like those few by Cute is What We Aim For, thanks. Seems like they're not a big band though, I might have trouble getting CDs of theirs from over here. Won't stop me looking. Yeah, I still buy CDs... I know musics is on the internet now. I'll check out more of Panic! At the Disco as well.

And the other suggestions in this thread, thanks. Haven't listened to all yet but I'll get to them.
    TheCanMan wrote: »

See also

I wouldn't have thought NO FX was the sort of thing I was looking for, but what do you know, some of their stuff is not too far off. I guess I haven't heard any of their stuff for... fifteen years or so, haha.

Yeah, after their early stuff they started getting alot more skate-punk-ish. I'd highly recommend Less Than Jake's "Borders and Boundaries" (particularly "Look what happened" and "Gainsville Rock City").

TheCanMan on