Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Chaos] CitOW Game 79 - Khorne Bathes the Old World in Blood!

blahmcblahblahmcblah President KleptoIn your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Critical Failures
pic955226_md.jpg

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe (and a fifth, uninvited guest). Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

BoardGamer as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

Ardor Cerberus as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

Flimflammery as Tzeentch
Spoiler:

Telnaior Gorden858 as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

displaced quasar as The Horned Rat
The Horned Rat does not exist, nor is there such thing as the ratmen that worship it. Scholars have concluded that claims of an empire of vicious verminfolk are nothing more than stories invented to frighten the very young. Any reports of having sighted these "skaven" is seen as spreading discord amongst the faithful and, naturally, quite blasphemous. The skittering and scratching you hear deep below you at night is naught but the fevered workings of your imagination. If you insist that you have seen these creatures, please see your nearest witch hunter to be summarily executed for your blatant heresy.

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World for five players, wherein the players will vote on whether to use the Base or Morrslieb decks, and on the composition of the Old World Deck. Invitations will be taken from the discussion thread and offered to the top three players on the signup list, and two newbies.

[RULES]
[FAQ]
[EXPANSION RULES]
[Headless Hollow Rules Summary]

Credits of Chaos
Adam Bloom for his rocking Handtracker site.
FWD for the awesome board app.
Mr.Blarney for the original design of our PbP board.
Rend for the comprehensive OP.
Darian for bringing order to chaos as games manager and our resident rules lawyer.

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

General discussion thread for Chaos in the Old World is available here

blahmcblah on
Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1

• blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD
    Spoiler:

Useful information:
    Spoiler:

• blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat (Now with some official rulings):
    Spoiler:

Invitations have been sent; should any of the invitees not respond by Tuesday evening, I'll send invites down the signup list until we have five players. Players, please remember to state your preferences for deck, OWCs, and god when you check in here.

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    Hi! Still keen on playing. As a massive noob (can't even claim to have won a game yet!) I would prefer to use the base OW deck, or at least mixed; I would also prefer base Chaos cards and Upgrades, as I have not yet played the HR expansion at all, but I will abide by the majority opinion.

As to gods, I think I would prefer the following: Tzeentch > Slaanesh > Horned Rat > Khorne > Nurgle.

I am in the UK by the way, for the purposes of timezone clarification.

• TelnaiorTelnaior Registered User
    I'm in~
    I think I'll say Base OW deck, Morrslieb upgrades, and Slaanesh > Tzeentch > Nurgle > Horned Rat > Khorne.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I'd prefer to not play only expert OWC, I'd be happy with mixed or base. I'd prefer Morrsleib upgrades.

I've not played Tzeentch before so prefer him. I have no preferences beyond that.

• displaced quasardisplaced quasar Registered User
    I'm definitely in. Thanks for hosting blah!

I would prefer mixed OWC deck, Morrslieb upgrades. No power preference.

• BoardGamerBoardGamer Registered User regular
    In~

Morrslieb deck
    Mixed OWC deck
    T > K > HR > S > N

• doldaridoldari Registered User regular
    :winky: Your thread title, I love it.

So what happens now, what with three people having Tzeentch as their #1? XD
    Is it a coin toss or figured out in order to get people the highest preference possible?

edited May 2012
    doldari wrote: »
    :winky: Your thread title, I love it.

You should, it's (obviously) a tribute to you. :winky:

Hm, so many conflicting preferences. So it looks like we're going with Base OWCs, Morrslieb Cards/Upgrades (sorry, Flim) and then we pretty much have to roll to see who gets Tzeentch. Drum roll please... Aaaand...

Rolling for powers (f,t,a,b) - 4d1000=470, 913, 201, 409

Flimflammery wins the Tzeentch lottery! I guess that's his compensation for having to play with Morrslieb. And then the two guys left unassigned have no preferences, so I decided the higher roll would get Nurgle: Rolling for powers again (a,d) - 2d1000=901, 543

Which finally gives us:

BoardGamer as Khorne (red)

Ardor as Nurgle (limegreen)
    Flimflammery as Tzeentch (dodgerblue)
    Telnaior as Slaanesh (mediumorchid)
    displaced quasar as The Horned Rat (gray)

Permissions have been updated on handtracker, so you should all draw your first three cards. Board coming shortly.

blahmcblah on
    Oh, and I completely forgot to mention the Bloodletter Upgrade nerf. Being convinced that it is utterly broken as written, we will be playing with it as 1 point per kill instead of 2, which might not be broken. Time will tell.

edited June 2012
    Round 1, Old World and Draw Phases

Norse Reavers
    Remove all Event tokens from the board and remove any Old World cards bearing the Twin-tailed Comet icon from the Old World track. Then, place one Event token in each of Bretonnia, Tilea and The Empire. Finally, place one peasant token in each region. - In the end phase when Old World cards are resolved, remove one Peasant token (if able) from every region where there is an Event token.

game79state1.png

Draw Phase:

Tzeentch may choose to discard one card (discards are done just by playing the card on handtracker, then linking it here) before drawing to 5.

Draw 2, 5 in hand, 19 left in deck
    Draw 2 or 3, 5 in hand, 19 or 18 left in deck

Once Tzeentch has decided whether or not to discard, Khorne will be active to begin the first summoning phase.

blahmcblah on
    Telnaior wrote: »
    So what happens now, what with three people having Tzeentch as their #1? XD
    Is it a coin toss or figured out in order to get people the highest preference possible?

Yeah, so apparently everyone loves Tzeentch.
    I do a little bit of both methods. :)

edited May 2012
    @Flimflammery and @Telnaior (and maybe any other lurkers who didn't know): All the Morrslieb decks are viewable on the handtracker main page after you log in, just scroll down. The ruination cards are listed there too, which is good to know if multiple regions are on the verge of ruining in a single turn. The upgrades are all shown in the second post of this thread, under "Useful information".

Also Telnaior, I saw that when you originally signed up, you were hoping for a Base game, so why the switch to Morrslieb? If you'd voted for Base along with Flimflammery, I might've been able to justify running that. :P

blahmcblah on
  • FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, being Tzeentch certainly makes up somewhat for the lack of base decks; let's see if I have any idea what I am doing, though...

No discard. Drawing two more into hand

Found the Handtracker page easily enough, but how do we actually get our cards? I might be confusing the actual game rules, so oh well XD
    And it doesn't matter too much to me which upgrades and decks are used since they basically replace each other instead of adding extra things to the game. :P

@Telnaior - you click on 'show/hide deck' on the Slaanesh deck (in your case), and then click on 'draw to hand' to pick up a card. You will have to do this five times now, to get your full hand.

@BoardGamer is active.

edited May 2012
    Bloodsworn to Bretonnia.
    6/7 PP

BoardGamer on
    Got it, thanks.

Plaguebearer to The Empire.

5/6PP

Warp Shock in Estalia.

5/6 PP

@Telnaior is up.

People don't seem that keen to get going :(

Sorry, this is my first game and I'm still getting the hang of it XD
    Festival of Sinew to Bretonnia
    (6/6PP)

• DarianDarian Registered User regular
    Festival of Sinew to Bretonnia
    (6/6PP)

When you play a card, link the URL of the card play so that others can read the card if desired (plus so they know you really played it).

No worries! Is it the first time you've played CitOW full stop?

edited May 2012
    Clan Rat to the Badlands

5/6 PP

displaced quasar on
    edited May 2012
    Round 1, Summoning Phase

game79state02.png

Reavers (remove a Peasant at Event) are burninating thatched-roof cottages.

Chaos effects:
    Spoiler:

Khorne (@BoardGamer) is active.

blahmcblah on
    edited May 2012
    Bloodthirster to The Empire
    4/7 PP
    3/7 PP

Sorry~

BoardGamer on
    @BoardGamer - unless you mean Bloodletter, that's 3/7 PP

No worries! Is it the first time you've played CitOW full stop?

Yeah... XD
    I'm a fairly quick learner though, so we'll see how I go. (probably terribly)

Virulent Outbreak to The Border Princes - This region is considered Populous.

5/6PP.

Acolyte to Estalia.

4/6 PP

Your move, @Telnaior.

edited May 2012
    Seductress to Norsca
    5/6PP

Telnaior on
    Clan Rat to the Border Princes

4/6 PP

edited May 2012
    Round 1, Summoning Phase

game79state03.png

Reavers (remove a Peasant at Event) are burninating thatched-roof cottages.

Chaos effects:
    Spoiler:

Khorne (@BoardGamer) is active.

blahmcblah on
    edited May 2012
    Play Rampage to The Empire.

3 hit. DAC
    Kill a Plaguebearer and two peasant.

2/6 PP