As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Native Philadelphians, I require your help

minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi!
A couple of friends and I are planning on going to Philly weekend after next (just in time for beer week). We'll only be staying one night there.
First day we want to have lots of beer at not expensive prices ($3-$5 per pint) and lots of delicious food, of course.
Following day we need to stay sober for the drive back so we need some suggestions of what to do. We're up for anything, museums, sights, food.

So I need you guys to tell us what to do. Any must go to places? Any places to avoid?
Any suggestions on where to get a hotel room, such that it's near transportation and not in the middle of nowhere?

And for those who have traveled to Philly before, any hotels to recommend?

Thanks! :D

minirhyder on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you have a strong stomach, there's always the Mutter Museum. That is a pretty big attraction. It's definitely good for a whole afternoon.

There are less morbid things to do, of course, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    The Academy of Natural Sciences is pretty awesome and fairly easily accessible. I would avoid the Franklin Institute, as it's geared mostly toward kids.

If you don't mind a little bit of driving or public transportation, check out the zoo or the Camden Aquarium.

Old City has some decent bars, as does South Street.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    For bars with good food and good beer:

Monk's Cafe (Center City)
    Devil's Den (South Philly)
    Tap Room (South Philly)

Devil's Den and Tap Room have more of a local microbrewery selection than Monk's (I think), but Monk's definitely has better food. Don't know where you're coming from but there's a lot of great local beers

Pizzeria Stella (in Old City) has amazing pizza (the tartufo pizza with black truffle and egg is to die for), but is a bit expensive (so worth it, though). They do have a bar but it's not as good as those other bars.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Zoo, Academy of Natural Sciences, Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

Hang out on Penn's landing, take the Ferry over to the NJ Aquarium (it's a really decent aquarium), then take the ferry back (before nightfall ideally). Marvel at the awesome bridge and the most gorgeous skyline.

But really, the zoo. I love that zoo. Although I haven't been back since the new primate house was finished.

edit: oh! and the art museum and boat house row! Gotta pretend to be Rocky, dude!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Mutter Museums sounds just up my alley, thanks Ceres!
    Thanks for the bar/pub recommendations, Keith.

I've been to the Camden aquarium and battleship NJ and I had a good time. The friends don't seem to be too excited about it, so I guess we'll pass on that. Thanks for those suggestions as well though!

Boat house row sounds quite classy, though I don't know what it is, I'll definitely look into it!

Thanks guys, and keep them coming! :)

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Rodin is one of my favorite artists, so I always make it a point to go by the Rodin museum. The friends of the free library used book store was my favorite thing to do when I was 15, no idea how it'd hold up now.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    If you're at the Mutter Museum, I personally enjoy Devil's Alley on 19th and Chestnut. Only about 2.5 blocks away. That whole area is just loaded with pretty good places to eat though, imo.

Hopefully there isn't a regatta when you're here, because that can make the Schuylkill a real mess, but boat house row and that whole area is just really nice to walk around in.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen Devil's Alley on phillybeerweek.com and I put it on our To Go list. Great to hear it's a good place to be, thanks :D